Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 CTS-V or an AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow
Sorry to bring back an old thread,,,,,,thought you guys might want to check out the competition

Speed channel Test Drive: 2011 Cadillac V-Series
Saturday Night, 10:30 PM EST.

http://www.speedtv.com/video/popup/8...8001/595223643

Last edited by gonzales25; 03-29-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 PM

C63 AMG
Sorry to bring back an old thread,,,,,,thought you guys might want to check out the competition
So...0-60 in 4 sec...C63 does it in the same time. Oh I forgot the CTS-V is SOO much faster...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Slow
Originally Posted by melmanc55
So...0-60 in 4 sec...C63 does it in the same time. Oh I forgot the CTS-V is SOO much faster...
Here we go again I was just trying to share a little bit of car enthusiasm with people who enjoy all types of cars

I wish I would have run into you in SA when I was down there a couple of weeks ago

Last edited by gonzales25; 03-30-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM

C63 AMG
Here we go again I was just trying to share a little bit of car enthusiasm with people who enjoy all types of cars
I'm sure all of us do....but I see this as a AMG forum...if I was interested in a CTS-V then I would search out a Cadillac forum and learn more.

I wish I would have run into you in SA when I was down there a couple of weeks ago
Sure. Just let me know.

Last edited by melmanc55; 03-30-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM

2010 Ford Raptor 6.2 Supercab 2011 Mercedes Benz C63
When it comes to cars, I buy German. While build quality is getting better, American cars are still far behind. Trucks are another story. I too have a Ford Raptor with the 6.2 V8. Build quality is very high and it has no squeaks or rattles at all. And the navigation system with Sync is the best system I have ever used. Very user friendly and easy to speak all of your commands to use most of the systems on the truck. As good as my C63 is, I find myself getting into the Raptor more often than the Benz. I also like sitting up high.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM

C63 AMG
When it comes to cars, I buy German. While build quality is getting better, American cars are still far behind. Trucks are another story. I too have a Ford Raptor with the 6.2 V8. Build quality is very high and it has no squeaks or rattles at all. And the navigation system with Sync is the best system I have ever used. Very user friendly and easy to speak all of your commands to use most of the systems on the truck. As good as my C63 is, I find myself getting into the Raptor more often than the Benz. I also like sitting up high.
Man that Raptor is a nice truck! A family member of mine has one. The NAV is awesome as are the rear shocks. That truck is special.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 PM

2010 Ford Raptor 6.2 Supercab 2011 Mercedes Benz C63
Smile

The suspension on the Raptor is a special set up by the Ford SVT team. The front A arms are massive. Foxx shocks up front and dual Foxx shocks on each side in back. There is just under 12" of suspension travel, so to say it is a capable off road vehicle is an understatement. It rides very smoothly around town and becomes a beast off road. Great power from the 6.2 liter V8. This truck has absolutely no "chassis hop" which most trucks have. Handles amazingly well too. But I digress. This is a Mercedes forum, not a Ford truck forum.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM

CTS-V Coupe
I know of a few people having problems with their interiors making noise, but mine has been rock solid. I have actually read more threads here recently about the '12 C63 rattling like crazy, something that surprised and disappointed me.

If you want the faster car, get the CTS-V. If you want the "nicer" car (even in spite of the recent 'rattling' threads), get the C63.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 PM

bmw e-60 550i,bmw e-92 m3, c63coupe p31, stable of Italian stallions MV's
C 63, no way the v can beat it in performance or handling, when it comes to refinement and exclusivity, game changer. Numbers are wrong run a pp c63 coupe in the real world, the c63 will be consistent and the v is a propaganda for marketing reasons. Jmo.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 AM

SL550, E350 Coupe
The C63 is a teenage boy's car, the CTS-V is built for a man to drive. I'd rather have a top-of-the line Cadillac over an entry-level AMG. The CTS-V is also much faster and smoother to drive. The C63 is a fine car, but between the two, I'd take the CTS-V.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Topic bumped from last year but the CTS-V is a beast. I still prefer the noise the 6.2 makes.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by B. Pateman
The C63 is a teenage boy's car, the CTS-V is built for a man to drive. I'd rather have a top-of-the line Cadillac over an entry-level AMG. The CTS-V is also much faster and smoother to drive. The C63 is a fine car, but between the two, I'd take the CTS-V.
Haha - troll much? I'm not even going to tee off on you - your comment speaks for itself.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Originally Posted by B. Pateman
That's quite funny. The most powerful and expensive production car Cadillac offers is around the same price of the cheapest, least powerful entry-level production car AMG offers. They're both pretty evenly matched with one another, performance-wise. That says the best that Cadillac can do is only as good as "the minimum" AMG can do. Cadillac built for a man? What kind of man? A fat, overweight sloppy man? Pimps, senior citizens? As with the majority of American cars, Cadillac products are garbage, with only minor exceptions if a few company's. The CTS coupe has the stature of an origami pig.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM

CL600
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
That's quite funny. The most powerful and expensive production car Cadillac offers is around the same price of the cheapest, least powerful entry-level production car AMG offers. They're both pretty evenly matched with one another, performance-wise. That says the best that Cadillac can do is only as good as "the minimum" AMG can do. Cadillac built for a man? What kind of man? A fat, overweight sloppy man? Pimps, senior citizens? As with the majority of American cars, Cadillac products are garbage, with only minor exceptions if a few company's. The CTS coupe has the stature of an origami pig.
The thing the V has going for it. Very easily to mod for cheap where as your dropping $$$ for the 63. The V has Magnetic Ride Control where the C doesn't thus making the V the better handling car. Unless we are talking about a PP 63 the 63 will get walked by an automatic or manual V, both my good friends have stock autos c63 (non-pp) and an auto V sedan puts 2 1/2+ cars on it every race on a 1/4 mile race.

The 63 advantages you drive a MB afterall. The interior is better in the 63 besides the seats the V recaros are better, fit and finish is overall better in the 63. Exterior is a toss up and up too personal opinion, the brakes are close but the V get the edge over non-pp cars. If you need more space the V is the car obviously as the C is a small body sedan vs the E63s extra space. Both great cars it just comes down to personal likes/dislikes of the buyer.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
I went for the AMG after going thru the similar debate.

Not even sure why I did that. CTS-V is a very good alternative to the C63.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM

CTS-V Coupe
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
Haha, this really is too funny. You're exactly the kind of sleazy person who gives Mercedes drivers a bad name, the only way you can compare two cars is by which one costs more? That just shows you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry bud, but a $34,000 Mustang GT with the 5.0 can give your C63 a solid run for its money, not to mention a $44,000 Boss 302. Guess how much less they cost than your C63? You're a big boy, I'm sure you can do the math. Sure Cadillac's most powerful car costs about the same as a mildly well-equipped C63 and you are blind enough to think that's an advantage for the Mercedes?? LOL!

For less money than the price of a loaded C63 you will get a car that comes with 556 horsepower and 550 lb-ft of torque, magnetorheological shocks and a badass stance with fat tires and standout styling--and oh yeah, it will destroy the C63 easily. Trust me, I've done it on several occasions. Nothing like the look of sadness and confusion on the Saudi guys' faces after you walk their overpriced and precious C-Class with a monstrous LSA. I love the C63, and I'd love to own one someday just for that beautiful 6.2L N/A M156, but for now I wanted a better performing car and the V pretty much blasts the C63 out of the water. Your post just goes to show that you're not a car guy, but a poser with an inferiority complex.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
I'll help clean up this thread a bit since its turned into a pissing contest.

I just purchased a C63 and went through the same dilemma as OP. As a previous Benz owner already (E55) I wanted to see where my dollars would take me and it made my head spin. I looked at Z06's, GT500's, CTS-V, M3's and C63's. After test driving all of them they all had their pros and cons. It narrowed down to the c63 and the cts-v. Both had similar performance and similar prices. I stuck with the C63 because of pure feeling, connection to the road, control over the car and the "solid" feeling of all the parts in the car. Its hard to explain but I just felt "at home" with the Mercedes.

Best thing you can do is just test drive the car, period.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 PM

1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe

Originally Posted by King335i
Haha, this really is too funny. You're exactly the kind of sleazy person who gives Mercedes drivers a bad name, the only way you can compare two cars is by which one costs more? That just shows you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry bud, but a $34,000 Mustang GT with the 5.0 can give your C63 a solid run for its money, not to mention a $44,000 Boss 302. Guess how much less they cost than your C63? You're a big boy, I'm sure you can do the math. Sure Cadillac's most powerful car costs about the same as a mildly well-equipped C63 and you are blind enough to think that's an advantage for the Mercedes?? LOL!

For less money than the price of a loaded C63 you will get a car that comes with 556 horsepower and 550 lb-ft of torque, magnetorheological shocks and a badass stance with fat tires and standout styling--and oh yeah, it will destroy the C63 easily. Trust me, I've done it on several occasions. Nothing like the look of sadness and confusion on the Saudi guys' faces after you walk their overpriced and precious C-Class with a monstrous LSA. I love the C63, and I'd love to own one someday just for that beautiful 6.2L N/A M156, but for now I wanted a better performing car and the V pretty much blasts the C63 out of the water. Your post just goes to show that you're not a car guy, but a poser with an inferiority complex.

If you want a better performing car then you made the right choice, I decided to do a lot of research and not buy the better performing car so a nice pat on your back man.

Not sure if you mean to be, but you definately sound like a troll too, can this thread get closed now?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
I remember seeing this a while back about the ford raptor...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/s...mage-claims-w/

Bad batch i guess..
Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 AM

2005 E55 Black
C63 vs E55

johnnyblaze -
I had a 05 E55 as well and loved it. I am now considering a C63. Do you like it more overall? I am sure it handles much better than the E, but is the power similar? The E55 was a beast in a straight line. I did get a chance to drive a 6 speed CTS-V, and I didnt get the warm and fuzzys from it.
The car was fast, and the suspension/handling/ride all felt good, but overall it felt similar to a Chevy Malibu that I rented.
It just felt too unrefined for the money.
The clutch and shifter felt like the one I had in my 1994 Camaro Z28.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Originally Posted by stiklr
johnnyblaze -
I had a 05 E55 as well and loved it. I am now considering a C63. Do you like it more overall? I am sure it handles much better than the E, but is the power similar? The E55 was a beast in a straight line. I did get a chance to drive a 6 speed CTS-V, and I didnt get the warm and fuzzys from it.
The car was fast, and the suspension/handling/ride all felt good, but overall it felt similar to a Chevy Malibu that I rented.
It just felt too unrefined for the money.
The clutch and shifter felt like the one I had in my 1994 Camaro Z28.
The power-band is very linear and comes on very strong. Almost that of an E55, but I dont really remember what a stock E55 felt like. Mine was modified quite a bit. Trust me, do yourself a favor and test drive any of the C63's, the sound of the motor pretty much won me over, the gear box is snappy and is a joy to drive in Manual. Not to mention it still has the torque that we all love.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 PM

2011 Range Rover Sport SC
I hesitated to post in this thread, since there seems to be plenty of name-calling and conjecture about our fellow enthusiasts on both sides.

I've been a car enthusiast for 40 years, and over the past 25+ years, have owned roughly 53 cars (I may have missed one or two in the list that I recently drafted up). I've raced cars both casually and on a semi-pro, national level, and have owned everything from fuel misers to gas guzzlers, and all manner of sports car and SUVs.

When we moved back from France to Canada this year, I had a long internal debate as to what car I was going to pick up for myself. The debate ran from an Aston Martin V8 Vantage S, to the Caddy CTS-V, to a 997 Turbo, to the C63 sedan (or coupe), to a Range Rover, etc. And several others.

While I almost pulled the trigger on the Aston Martin, in the end, I chose the C63 Coupe (after driving a Range Rover for several months).

The CTS-V was fairly high on my list. Lots of power, good interior, option of a 6-spd. It drove nice, but in the end didn't have the setup I wanted (the sedan is gorgeous, the coupe is ugly). It also sounds relatively subdued, which was surprising, given the power it's putting out. Similar to the new M5....it was far more quiet than I wanted.

The Aston Martin and 997 Turbo were both high on my list, but not customer-friendly cars (ie, showing up at your customer driving an Aston Martin tends to make negotiations more challenging). Honestly, the AM would have been my choice were it not for that.

After all the looking and research I did, I chose the C63. Not because it's the fastest car (it's not...though with the DP it's as near to the CTS-V as makes no difference). It just had the combination of what I wanted in a car (looks, soul, performance, sound, brand, etc).

Honestly, an E92 M3 is faster around the track, and the Aston Martin is far better looking. But I've driven enough fast cars, and enough slow cars, to know that the fastest car on any particular day is often due more to the driver, than the car.

Realistically, a person can't go wrong with either one. Of everything GM makes, the CTS-V (sedan only) and the Z06 are the only two that I'd really be interested in. Then again, the C63 is one of the few Mercedes Benz that I'm interested in as well.

Patrick
Old 08-31-2012, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB

P31 vs. CTS-V is very close. Depends on the driver, weather, and the IAT's for the blown car.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM

C63 AMG

So just out of couriosity...since joining this site have you ever owned a Mercedes? And if not why did you join again?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
This is the reason I switched to a V from a C63. Not my mod list but this is the setup I will be going with when I'm ready.

- 2.5 upper pulley
- 9.1 lower pulley
- Cold air intake
- LT headers w/x-pipe
- Throttle body
- Injectors
- Tune

622 rwhp and 668 rwtq

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 CTS-V or an AMG?