Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E63-S, 1987 190E 2.3-16, 1985 325E
hey guys, i just wrapped up installing mine on this evening! some info, they are red signals if you order from parts.com, good at that for mostly everyone who's interested, they are indeed US tails as well, as for the error code i will be making a DIY on ho to install and go around not programming the system for the fog to be deleted, my method completely de-functions the fog, but i have honestly never used my rear fogs on any of the cars i've owned/driven... with that said, i will show everyone my method within the next few days on how i came across doing it, as well as show you guys the wiring you must tap into for both the fog delete, and b/c i've done this mod well over 8 months ago now, i'll show you guys how to get a white led working for our reverse light and which wires to tap the resistors as well so that you guys get no errors
Old 09-20-2011, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
^^ skokkosis, you are definitely one of the most helpful member on this forum... looking forward to see another of your DIY!!

Post pics of the tails on your car... I'm sure they will look better than your tinted tails.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 PM

thanks a lot roswell, here are my photos as of now, texted my friends once i wrapped it all up haha, i'll get better ones tomorrow, during the day, and with the fog delete
Attached Thumbnails 2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-photo-1.jpg   2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-photo-2.jpg   2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-photo-3.jpg   2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-photo-4.jpg   2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-photo-5.jpg  

2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-296419_2182955256710_1331820318_32324132_2140218716_n.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM

same shot, cars placed in reverse with the brake pulled so you guys can get an idea of how my reverse white looks

one's with flash and one's without, enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails 2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-photo-1.jpg   2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY-photo-2.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 AM

C63
Originally Posted by skokkosis
hey guys, i just wrapped up installing mine on this evening! some info, they are red signals if you order from parts.com, good at that for mostly everyone who's interested, they are indeed US tails as well, as for the error code i will be making a DIY on ho to install and go around not programming the system for the fog to be deleted, my method completely de-functions the fog, but i have honestly never used my rear fogs on any of the cars i've owned/driven... with that said, i will show everyone my method within the next few days on how i came across doing it, as well as show you guys the wiring you must tap into for both the fog delete, and b/c i've done this mod well over 8 months ago now, i'll show you guys how to get a white led working for our reverse light and which wires to tap the resistors as well so that you guys get no errors
That would be AWESOME! Mine are on order at moment and I was worried what I'd do to get around the rear fog function!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM

10 Steel Grey C63
Awesome! Can't wait to see the DIY!

So, if I understand you correctly, this will allow us to run '12 lights without recoding our SAM?

Also, someone mentioned a difference in the brightness of the brake lights between the two sides. I take it your solution resolved this as well?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM

hey guys! i just got a chance to sit down on my computer and take off this job for the day... i was in the trunk for over 5 hours tinkering with the fog problem! the diy i have to offer, has turned into a temporary fix for all who will like to it... i thought i had everything ready for install today, last evening i put in the tail lights, fully and flawlessly working (fog error, and fog on still on) i had worked on my reverse bulbs to be a white led a few months back, and since nobody had any input on which color wire was the reverse i had taken the time to splice up the harness's wires and discover which wire it was (on the driver side tail it's the grey/blue wire, if anyone is interested in getting error free reverse azn has a great product, but i wanted brighter so i took my own route by tapping into that wire (+) a resistor and then the other end of the resistor into the ground (-) the brown wire, as for the passenfer side tail, i need to open up the area and give you guys the wire for that side i needed to tap into, i will if anyone needs it, i believe is the ground for the whole harness is the brown wire only, but if not it MAY help us to getting a solution to the fog error if some of the other wires are grounds as well)

NONETHELESS back on topic... the wire that feeds the signal to the fog is the green wire, i believe this is only for US models, if for european as well, then this is referring solely to the driver side tail, no idea what wire you would need to work with on the passenger side)

what i believe the possible issues are that perhaps the resistor i was using [100ohm 10 watt 10% tolerance resistor] may be the first possible problem, the tails led's may need a completely different resistor for the issue, that resistor has worked to give me error free codes on every single area i've added led's (sidemarkers, lic. plate bulbs, interior floor lighting, reverse led's, i got my eyebrow led's pre-resisted from azn so i did not need to toy with resisting them)

for a temporary fix, since i believe that driving around with the fog on looks goofy, i have come to completely cutting the green wire, since i'll have to deal with the error code until another alternative comes out except working w. the SAM i will live with the error code at least by not having the led's on perhaps azn optics can give in some aid being that he's found out our cars response to led's and how to fix the error codes via his resisted bulbs, he may be able to give us some help with the info i have put up, it may just be that i'm using a wrong resistor, any type anyone recommend i should grab from radio shack or even online and give a go incase it gets things working?

guys i really tried getting something here to benefit and help everyone, i assumed that resisting (like a previous member had mentioned here as well) would do the trick, but i'm out of luck, i will keep working on my tails hopefully getting them to work, but until then this is the full feedback i have for everyone, and the route i took! hope this helps everyone for now, if anyone needs any info or help on white reverse led's, sidemarkers, fogs, or floor lighting, i'll be glad to help! until then i will be posting a video in a few for everyone to see mine working without the fog on, and how they look lit up, sorry again guys!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 AM

C300
hey guys! i just got a chance to sit down on my computer and take off this job for the day... i was in the trunk for over 5 hours tinkering with the fog problem! the diy i have to offer, has turned into a temporary fix for all who will like to it... i thought i had everything ready for install today, last evening i put in the tail lights, fully and flawlessly working (fog error, and fog on still on) i had worked on my reverse bulbs to be a white led a few months back, and since nobody had any input on which color wire was the reverse i had taken the time to splice up the harness's wires and discover which wire it was (on the driver side tail it's the grey/blue wire, if anyone is interested in getting error free reverse azn has a great product, but i wanted brighter so i took my own route by tapping into that wire (+) a resistor and then the other end of the resistor into the ground (-) the brown wire, as for the passenfer side tail, i need to open up the area and give you guys the wire for that side i needed to tap into, i will if anyone needs it, i believe is the ground for the whole harness is the brown wire only, but if not it MAY help us to getting a solution to the fog error if some of the other wires are grounds as well)

NONETHELESS back on topic... the wire that feeds the signal to the fog is the green wire, i believe this is only for US models, if for european as well, then this is referring solely to the driver side tail, no idea what wire you would need to work with on the passenger side)

what i believe the possible issues are that perhaps the resistor i was using [100ohm 10 watt 10% tolerance resistor] may be the first possible problem, the tails led's may need a completely different resistor for the issue, that resistor has worked to give me error free codes on every single area i've added led's (sidemarkers, lic. plate bulbs, interior floor lighting, reverse led's, i got my eyebrow led's pre-resisted from azn so i did not need to toy with resisting them)

for a temporary fix, since i believe that driving around with the fog on looks goofy, i have come to completely cutting the green wire, since i'll have to deal with the error code until another alternative comes out except working w. the SAM i will live with the error code at least by not having the led's on perhaps azn optics can give in some aid being that he's found out our cars response to led's and how to fix the error codes via his resisted bulbs, he may be able to give us some help with the info i have put up, it may just be that i'm using a wrong resistor, any type anyone recommend i should grab from radio shack or even online and give a go incase it gets things working?

guys i really tried getting something here to benefit and help everyone, i assumed that resisting (like a previous member had mentioned here as well) would do the trick, but i'm out of luck, i will keep working on my tails hopefully getting them to work, but until then this is the full feedback i have for everyone, and the route i took! hope this helps everyone for now, if anyone needs any info or help on white reverse led's, sidemarkers, fogs, or floor lighting, i'll be glad to help! until then i will be posting a video in a few for everyone to see mine working without the fog on, and how they look lit up, sorry again guys!
A big tanks to your selfless sharing! I am not a hardware guy, but I am working on how to code the Rear SAM by DAS developer version. as information I have collected from the internet, it seems we don't need replace R-SAM, so the research will be limited to RSAM.I am pretty familiar on SAM parameters so I believe I can find answer very soon (someone already done that, if so, I can do it too, for sure) I have ordered driver side tail light for research. but as being said I am not really good on
hardware, if there is someone can take a video guide me how to detach tail light by myself, I will be willing to share the research and result I found.

Thanks again!
Ray
Old 09-22-2011, 04:37 AM

C63
Originally Posted by master9999
A big tanks to your selfless sharing! I am not a hardware guy, but I am working on how to code the Rear SAM by DAS developer version. as information I have collected from the internet, it seems we don't need replace R-SAM, so the research will be limited to RSAM.I am pretty familiar on SAM parameters so I believe I can find answer very soon (someone already done that, if so, I can do it too, for sure) I have ordered driver side tail light for research. but as being said I am not really good on
hardware, if there is someone can take a video guide me how to detach tail light by myself, I will be willing to share the research and result I found.

Thanks again!
Ray
Hi Ray,
Any light you can shed on coding the RSAM by DAS developer would be great. I will probably need to visit a dealership to get this coding done so any help you could provide will make it much smoother for me.

Alex
Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
it's abit hard to tell from the pics, but are the led taillights surface perfectly smooth? Or does it still have "dimples" that the old taillights have?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM

C300
Originally Posted by saferisk
Hi Ray,
Any light you can shed on coding the RSAM by DAS developer would be great. I will probably need to visit a dealership to get this coding done so any help you could provide will make it much smoother for me.

Alex
Hi Alex, my pleasure, I will share the coding steps, if I can figure out how to detach old one and attach new one (I have new one on hand) sorry I have a stupid hands so I don't really have confidence to detach the tail light with those text-only DIY thread (sorry about that) again if you have the video can step by step show me how to detach the tail light, I will share those step once I finished the coding experiment.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM

C300
Originally Posted by noodleman
it's abit hard to tell from the pics, but are the led taillights surface perfectly smooth? Or does it still have "dimples" that the old taillights have?
Hi, I believe they are totally same size and fits. due to MB didn't change any
body shell and panels on rear in this facelift, so that have to be totally same size in order to fit the original space, that is my understanding.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
I meant the surface of the taillight, not the overall fit of the tails. If you look carefully at this pic the red portions of the taillights are "sunk in" abit, from this pic, it looks like the new leds are smooth and not sunk in. I just wanted a confirmation.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 AM

C300
Originally Posted by noodleman
I meant the surface of the taillight, not the overall fit of the tails. If you look carefully at this pic the red portions of the taillights are "sunk in" abit, from this pic, it looks like the new leds are smooth and not sunk in. I just wanted a confirmation.

Hi, Noodleman, if you are talking about the surface, yes new LED tail light is smooth surface, it's different then old one has "sunk in". I have both on hand so I can confirm that point. for your reference :-)
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
There is a member (whipplem104) who posted serveral posts up that he did the re-code, you could check with him.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM

C300
Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
There is a member (whipplem104) who posted serveral posts up that he did the re-code, you could check with him.
Hi, thanks for reply, actually I did. but I didn't get responds. I think people all have right to choice share / not to share, but that is fine, I think figure out by self then share to people would be interesting. especially seeing skokkosis who is so selfless, I hope I can do the same. :-)

there are only limited parameter in RSAM. Front SAM is even more complicate. I have confidence but first I need detach my tail light.

the steps will be announced with the name who provides video guidance ;-)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 PM

@master, no problem! anytime, how would a forum be so helpful if each on of us didn't help and support one another, as on how to remove the tails i will be posting a video later this evening, two at that, one to show you all my car

and one... showing you guys the inside of the trunk area which the tails are mounted and removed... it is quite simple it consists of 4 8mm nuts on the back of the tail light inside the trunk, once those are out and you've disconnected the harness and the back light/circuit board that the bulbs are on it pops right out after you push it out from the inside of the trunk outward.

@noodleman, just to verify as well for you they are perfectly smooth without "dimples"

@1lop, i wish he would respond they we wouldn't all be in this dilemma lol

again guys i'll have a video of how it's all one, it is very quick, but i don't want to go dismantaling them out of the car again, but i will give you all just enough information that is handy to do the job on your own without any questions, as for the error fix hopefully master gets it down for all of us and i can connect my fog again

p.s. if you need any help master pm me i'd be glad to give you me number or sn so that i can walk you through any questions you have, glad to be of assistance to all.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 PM

08 C63 AMG, 09 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 09 Audi A8L, 09 Ferrari California, 08 S Class
Respect man
Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM

C300
Originally Posted by mrwolf
Respect man
Hi Mrwolf, sorry I don't understand, "respect man"?

are u asking someone to respect someone ?

just wondering, not mean to be impolite. :-)
Old 09-24-2011, 01:19 AM

i don't think so master, i think he just intended on saying thank you, it's a street version of saying hats off to "member"
Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM

C300
i don't think so master, i think he just intended on saying thank you, it's a street version of saying hats off to "member"
Thanks for explanation, man, just don't want to be rude :-)
Old 09-26-2011, 04:48 AM

08 C63 AMG, 09 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 09 Audi A8L, 09 Ferrari California, 08 S Class
Lol- no no, i was just saying thank you dude. Really appreciate yours and everyones help and advice on this whole coding dilemma we have with retrofitting these lights.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM

10 Steel Grey C63
@master, no problem! anytime, how would a forum be so helpful if each on of us didn't help and support one another, as on how to remove the tails i will be posting a video later this evening, two at that, one to show you all my car

and one... showing you guys the inside of the trunk area which the tails are mounted and removed... it is quite simple it consists of 4 8mm nuts on the back of the tail light inside the trunk, once those are out and you've disconnected the harness and the back light/circuit board that the bulbs are on it pops right out after you push it out from the inside of the trunk outward.

@noodleman, just to verify as well for you they are perfectly smooth without "dimples"

@1lop, i wish he would respond they we wouldn't all be in this dilemma lol

again guys i'll have a video of how it's all one, it is very quick, but i don't want to go dismantaling them out of the car again, but i will give you all just enough information that is handy to do the job on your own without any questions, as for the error fix hopefully master gets it down for all of us and i can connect my fog again

p.s. if you need any help master pm me i'd be glad to give you me number or sn so that i can walk you through any questions you have, glad to be of assistance to all.
Skokkosis, any chance yet to post a video so Master9999 can work on the SAM?

I would LOVE to do this mod if we can figure out the coding issues....
Old 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM

sorry guys! i will do it this evening, i've been honestly trying to nail sundown so it can be dark enough to show the lights fully, but bright enough to show you the wiring harness and such! will do this evening promise! will load with photobucket, depending on their loading time then it will fully be up after they authorize the video
Old 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM

C300
sorry guys! i will do it this evening, i've been honestly trying to nail sundown so it can be dark enough to show the lights fully, but bright enough to show you the wiring harness and such! will do this evening promise! will load with photobucket, depending on their loading time then it will fully be up after they authorize the video
Thank you man, I can understand the lighting constraint, no need be hurry, once you have that ready, I will go ahead to investigate coding, open sharing is the thing I promised, like you do. :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY