Driving C63 year round in Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A4, C63
Driving C63 year round in Canada?

Hey guys,

This is my first post here so I guess this thread is sort of a question/introduction.

I've been driving (and modding) an Audi A4 for the last few years and besides getting a little bored with it, I've moved from Calgary to Victoria. For those that don't know the cities, I moved from quite a wintery climate to a place where it snows maybe once a year, pretty mild. The quattro on my Audi was absolutely great in foul weather but I feel like I just don't have a use for it anymore. In fact, I ran summer tires all year around here in Victoria with no problems.

So here's my question to you guys, do think it'd be possible to get away with running the C63 all year around here? I've never had a RWD car, never mind a RWD with this much power, so i'm not too familiar with how it'll handle inclement weather. Average high temp in the coldest months here is about 45*F (7*C). What would you guys run, summers all year round? all-season all year? Summers in summer, winters in winter? something else?

Thanks in advance,
Cam
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Audi A4, C63
Some pictures of the current A4 because everybody love pictures.

Last edited by C63C63; 05-04-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM

2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
If its your only vehicle I'd do summers and winters.
After being in your position myself and pricing winter wheel setup for the c63 I got an 03 c-class for winter and running up km's. I kept summers on the 63.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 PM

Audi A4, C63
Originally Posted by blackc230benzo
If its your only vehicle I'd do summers and winters.
After being in your position myself and pricing winter wheel setup for the c63 I got an 03 c-class for winter and running up km's. I kept summers on the 63.
Two cars probably aren't in the cards right now. Also, I don't drive too many miles as is, so I'm not too worried about running them up (25000 miles in a bit over 3 years in my Audi).

I'm just worried about how the winters will hold up being driven on dry ground 90% of the time and above 60* 50% of the time. I mean the C63 chews through tires as is.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 991s, 2015 macan turbo, 2018 c63s
I got mine for my winter car. It's pretty good with good winters tires. But not the best in heavy snow. I haven't had any trouble so far and it's tons of fun.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM

C63 AMG (Performance & Premium Package) Audi RS4
You Will have a blast with the C63 in Victoria........

The climate in victoria is of little to no concern.

At temps below 7deg, I myself would be concerned with summers. So I probably would get winters for 3 months or so.

I too went from an Audi (RS4) to the C63. You will notice a very different driving experience. The car is very tail happy so get ready. the stock oem tires suck badly just to let you know.

good luck
Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 PM

Audi A4, C63
I know I'll take some sh*t for this but how much performance would I kill running A/S all year around? I don't drive too too aggressively, not too many heavy stops or corners, I just occasionally like to let it all loose on the highway.

On a side note... damn there's a lot of Canucks on the forum, good to see.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by C63C63
I know I'll take some sh*t for this but how much performance would I kill running A/S all year around? I don't drive too too aggressively, not too many heavy stops or corners, I just occasionally like to let it all loose on the highway.

Don't do it.

All-seasons are a compromise on your mom's Malibu, but a terrible idea on a C63. They are mediocre everywhere and in this type of vehicle would be a shame.

Get some winters and you will be fine in Victoria. I have driven cars as primitive as Mustang GTs in Ottawa, a nasty city winter-wise and with common sense it is not a big deal.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 AM

Ford F450, C63
Originally Posted by C63C63

I wouldn't do all seasons, although a good rain tire might be appropriate for Victoria!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 AM

Audi A4, C63
Originally Posted by Tricanuck
I wouldn't do all seasons, although a good rain tire might be appropriate for Victoria!
Yeah, I'm thinking Conti DW's if I go with summers.

I'm just not sure I would want to run two sets of tires because I know for a fact the winters will be on for 1-2 months at best.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Continental ExtremeContact DW is what you need. The C will be fine in Victoria.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 AM

Audi A4, C63
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Continental ExtremeContact DW is what you need. The C will be fine in Victoria.
Ahhh a Vancouverite, just what I needed.

DW all year around or DW and winters when it snows?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
My C63 did fine in Montreal (very cold and lots of snow on the ground). 98% of the time I was happy with it, the rest of the time I wish I had taken my wife's Audi.

To get proper traction you will need to switch wheels and narrower tires in the back.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 AM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by chief63
My C63 did fine in Montreal (very cold and lots of snow on the ground). 98% of the time I was happy with it, the rest of the time I wish I had taken my wife's Audi.

To get proper traction you will need to switch wheels and narrower tires in the back.
Montreal and Victoria have very different climates. It snows so little here that narrower tires probably aren't necessary. The main reason I'd be considering going with winters is the softer compound for when the temperature drops.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by A4A4A4
Montreal and Victoria have very different climates. It snows so little here that narrower tires probably aren't necessary. The main reason I'd be considering going with winters is the softer compound for when the temperature drops.
Ok cool. I have the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, great on ice deep snow and on the road. The car is just not good with wet snow (traction problems).

If I had to buy some again I'd still go with these performance winter tires, really awesome and the grip is great too!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
If I was in Victoria, I'd run summer tires all year round. How much snow do you get and how long does it stay on the ground? Pretty minimal I'd imagine. You might need to leave the car at home once or twice per year, but summer tires are only going to be terrible if there is fresh snow and ice. Victoria very rarely gets snow, and even more rarely has it stay on the ground.

Climate may have changed since I lived out there, but I travelled to Victoria in February, and it felt like spring.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM

2011 C63 P31
I drove mine in Edmonton (which is a HELL of a lot worse than Victoria!) this winter as my daily driver, and had basically no problems with X-Ice2 snow tires on it. I chose not to drive it two days of MASSIVE snowfall to avoid idiots on the road.

There's a guy on here who's going to chime in that you can't/shouldn't do it - but you definitely can. It's not ideal, but passable for sure.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by skoobz2001
I drove mine in Edmonton (which is a HELL of a lot worse than Victoria!) this winter as my daily driver, and had basically no problems with X-Ice2 snow tires on it. I chose not to drive it two days of MASSIVE snowfall to avoid idiots on the road.

There's a guy on here who's going to chime in that you can't/shouldn't do it - but you definitely can. It's not ideal, but passable for sure.
Ha! that's me...

I have my C63 in Calgary. I bought a 328xi for my winter car.

I put winters on my C63 and drove it when the weather permitted. BUT I would not want to have to count on the car in ice or heavy snow. Especially if you are coming from an AWD audi - it will be an adjustment for you.

It would be 'passable' for 90% of the conditions you'd face. But most of the time you won't be able to drive at 8/10 anyway... so why use the car then?

Like the poster above - I believe if you can afford a C63 + winter tires you can afford a winter beater and then you get to free your mind of concern of things like rock chips, snow covered curbs / potholes, other drivers on bald A/S tires that can't drive... all that stuff is hard on your car.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:14 PM

Audi A4, C63
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
Ha! that's me...

I have my C63 in Calgary. I bought a 328xi for my winter car.

I put winters on my C63 and drove it when the weather permitted. BUT I would not want to have to count on the car in ice or heavy snow. Especially if you are coming from an AWD audi - it will be an adjustment for you.

It would be 'passable' for 90% of the conditions you'd face. But most of the time you won't be able to drive at 8/10 anyway... so why use the car then?

Like the poster above - I believe if you can afford a C63 + winter tires you can afford a winter beater and then you get to free your mind of concern of things like rock chips, snow covered curbs / potholes, other drivers on bald A/S tires that can't drive... all that stuff is hard on your car.
Winter beater is definitely out of the question. I honestly think if you suggested a winter beater to someone out here on the west coast they may laugh in your face. It literally snows once or twice a year and will almost always be gone the next morning, and they don't put gravel down on the snow here. I'm not worried about driving the car in the winter.

To put it in perspective (according to wikipedia), Calgary averages as much snow in May as Victoria in February and as much snow in April as Vic in the entire winter months.

My only options would really be:
Run all-seasons year round
Run summers in summer and all-seasons in winter
Run summers in sumer and winter in winter
Suck it up and run summers year round

Thanks for all the opinions so far guys, appreciate it.

Any other Victorians, Vancouverites, or Seattleites who can chime in?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 PM

C63 AMG (Performance & Premium Package) Audi RS4
After speaking with a tire expert........

Temperature of the tire and ground are every bit as important to the performance or lack there of (for a summer performance tire) as the prescence of ice, snow, or rain. IF it is less than 7 deg C, summer tires are not advisable (increased wear and poor performace) even if it is dry

this is some advice from my tire guy.

i would get summers and winters (for below 7deg C)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Audi A4, C63
Originally Posted by stirlingkool
Temperature of the tire and ground are every bit as important to the performance or lack there of (for a summer performance tire) as the prescence of ice, snow, or rain. IF it is less than 7 deg C, summer tires are not advisable (increased wear and poor performace) even if it is dry

this is some advice from my tire guy.

i would get summers and winters (for below 7deg C)
Yup, I've heard that 7*C rule before. Saying that though, I more than likely will never run these tires in temperatures below 0*C so would I not be better off running all-seasons in the winter instead?

If summers shouldn't go below 7*C, does anyone know the minimum temp. all-seasons should be run at?

I mean in the summer months it'll be roughly between 10*C and 25*C so summer tires are probably the best choice there. But in the winter it's hangs between 0*C and 15*C, is that not more suitable for all-seasons?

Man I don't even have the car yet and I'm already stressing out over it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 PM

2010 C300
I'm in Vancouver and I run summers in summer, winters in winter. Not only is it a small price to pay for total peace of mind, in the long run you're not actually spending that much more since you can run your winter tires 5 months a year, thus slowing the wear on your summers. Your only real cost would be a separate set of wheels but its an excuse for you to get a nicer set of summer wheels

Winter tires are something I probably wouldn't need 99% of the time but its just like insurance, you'll be glad to have it when you need it.

BTW is your Audi for sale?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 AM

Audi A4, C63
Originally Posted by Toast
I'm in Vancouver and I run summers in summer, winters in winter. Not only is it a small price to pay for total peace of mind, in the long run you're not actually spending that much more since you can run your winter tires 5 months a year, thus slowing the wear on your summers. Your only real cost would be a separate set of wheels but its an excuse for you to get a nicer set of summer wheels

Winter tires are something I probably wouldn't need 99% of the time but its just like insurance, you'll be glad to have it when you need it.

BTW is your Audi for sale?
Hmmm good tips, especially from another west coaster.

I think I'm gonna end up going summers and all-seasons, as odd as it sounds. If I do run into an unusually snowy day I can always walk or take the bus.

Audi will probably be for sale once I've got the C63 parked in my garage.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
If you get that little snow and you are willing to take alternative transport on bad days I'd just stick with performance tires year round. I've driven hard on summer tires around zero... I don't buy this 7 degrees stuff. We get such a short summer driving season in Calgary and I do have a winter beater so I keep my summers on as long as possible and change them out as early as is reasonable.

If you keep your car in the garage it's unlikely they will get that cold and then once you are on the road the friction warms them up very quickly. My only concern would be water and slush/ice when you get wet weather at low temperatures when there has been little traffic. Will be a judgment call for you on many days but you will learn the car once you have some time with it. The first time you see the traction light come on and you can't immediately get the car under control will be a defining moment for you. it's not an AWD Audi with a couple hundred ft/lbs at peak... it's RWD and it makes ~400 within a few centimeters of pedal travel from a standstill.

If you run winters or A/S you will regret the loss of performance on dry days when it's not that cold. The colder it is the more your motor likes it...It is a C63 after all. You don't buy a car like this if you don't have a pair.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:23 AM

Audi A4, C63
Haha, this whole situation has me confused. Too many choices!

To shake things even more, I should also add that I have to drive through the rocky mountains to Calgary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving C63 year round in Canada?