C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick with Hankook or Michelin Super Sport??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
The Hankooks are a really good tire, nothing wrong with them for daily drive use. I would not second guess them at all.

If you are tracking a car, then yes, I would probably step up to the premium Michellins or P-zeros.

The Michellins are better, but its not like the Hankooks are rental cars tires. And you could buy 3 sets of Hankooks, for the price of 2 Michellins.

At the end of the day, I will put Michellins on my car, but the Hankooks would certainly be okay if money was tight.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Since i have a theory that Tires are one of the most important factor in a car , I'd prefer the Michelin Super Sport !

Specially PSS , just waiting to arrive at the dealer in the UAE soon !
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Sirex63
Since i have a theory that Tires are one of the most important factor in a car , I'd prefer the Michelin Super Sport !

Specially PSS , just waiting to arrive at the dealer in the UAE soon !
Couldn't agree more!!

Btw your car looks amazing in your sig.
The Brabus style grille + Revozport front lip looks SUPER aggressive on mars red.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Banned

C63
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Couldn't agree more!!

Btw your car looks amazing in your sig.
The Brabus style grille + Revozport front lip looks SUPER aggressive on mars red.
Thanks ,

My car just need ur rims to be more SUPER aggressive

That's why I'm looking forward to know the price and is it lighter than my rims or not

P.S : my rims are the one u get it with the car ,
Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Thanks ,

My car just need ur rims to be more SUPER aggressive

That's why I'm looking forward to know the price and is it lighter than my rims or not

P.S : my rims are the one u get it with the car ,
The 19" OEM wheels are one of my favorites, they look amazing, especially on your car.
Wish we had them as a option here in the U.S.

The 19" M40's weigh 24lbs for the front and 26lbs for the rears. Dont know how much the 19" OEM's weigh but the M40 wheel weight will be a good reference point to find out if the OEM's are lighter or not.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Banned

C63
The 19" OEM wheels are one of my favorites, they look amazing, especially on your car.
Wish we had them as a option here in the U.S.

The 19" M40's weigh 24lbs for the front and 26lbs for the rears. Dont know how much the 19" OEM's weigh but the M40 wheel weight will be a good reference point to find out if the OEM's are lighter or not.
Then let's not join 2 threads together , and I'll post a new thread as soon as I get the real weight of the OEM 19"

Unless smone knows please advise
Old 09-05-2011, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Then let's not join 2 threads together , and I'll post a new thread as soon as I get the real weight of the OEM 19"

Unless smone knows please advise
Sounds good!
There is actually a sticky where you post the weight of parts on the C63.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ht-thread.html
Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by KCviper
I'm on my second set of PS A/S rears. Driving easy, I only got 10k miles on the rears....

Might try the SS next time.
i'm on my second set as well and my rears went pretty quick on the first set... but i was told to try less air on the rears because of the way they wore out and since then my rears have lasted a lot longer...

37 fronts
35 rears
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by bluejae
i'm on my second set as well and my rears went pretty quick on the first set... but i was told to try less air on the rears because of the way they wore out and since then my rears have lasted a lot longer...

37 fronts
35 rears
I'm gonna try this.
Right now I'm at 38psi all around.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
I'm gonna try this.
Right now I'm at 38psi all around.
back when i used nexens all around, i always kept it at 39 all around. nexens are not great but they were cheap and were great for daily driving and rain...

then i switched to the michelins and also ran them at 39 all around and the rears wore out fairly quick... so after i change the tire pressure on the 2nd set, i kept an eye on them to see how they were wearing and they seemed fine... also took it to discount tire and had them look at it a couple of times... so far for these tires, 37 front and 35 rears are working for me.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63
I just got PSS on my car and I just love it!! Advan Sports was good also but I like this better for sure. Nice grip and not much of road noise.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by bluejae
back when i used nexens all around, i always kept it at 39 all around. nexens are not great but they were cheap and were great for daily driving and rain...

then i switched to the michelins and also ran them at 39 all around and the rears wore out fairly quick... so after i change the tire pressure on the 2nd set, i kept an eye on them to see how they were wearing and they seemed fine... also took it to discount tire and had them look at it a couple of times... so far for these tires, 37 front and 35 rears are working for me.
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.
Didn't know a few PSI's here and there would cause a significant increase/decrease in tire wear.
Now I know what PSI to go with. lol

Originally Posted by HIRO63
I just got PSS on my car and I just love it!! Advan Sports was good also but I like this better for sure. Nice grip and not much of road noise.
Nice to see your enjoying the tires Hiro.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 AM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
The MSS is the best tire I've ever sampled both on my C63 and the 599 GTB.

Ken
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I've put almost 2,000 miles on my Michelin PSS's and I really love them. There's very little road noise, good grip, and they look super sexy. I'm gonna stick with them for sure.

I will say, in comparison, I think the P0's -- when they have lots of remaining tread on them -- help the car feel like it has more detailed steering. Although, when the tread starts melting away the car feels like it thuds around. Sorry, I know P0's weren't on the menu for this comparo, but couldn't help myself because P0's were my last tires, I've had the Hankooks, and I'm seriously loving the PSS.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Interesting how every dealer in the country is now featuring the PSS as a replacement tire but I haven't heard any intentions for the factory to follow suit.

Lower tire pressure typically will decrease tire life due to the additional heat generated but in the case of the C63 the lower pressure decreases the wheel spin which chews the tires to bits. In this case a little more rolling resistance is a good thing.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Cogent analysis

Originally Posted by YellowJacket
The Hankooks are a really good tire, nothing wrong with them for daily drive use. I would not second guess them at all.

If you are tracking a car, then yes, I would probably step up to the premium Michellins or P-zeros.

The Michellins are better, but its not like the Hankooks are rental cars tires. And you could buy 3 sets of Hankooks, for the price of 2 Michellins.

At the end of the day, I will put Michellins on my car, but the Hankooks would certainly be okay if money was tight.
My opinion is that the Hankooks and the new Michelins are the best choice at two different, significant price points. Tire break in, inflation, driving application, brand loyalty, and driver ability are also significant, not to mention budget. I would be happy with either shoes.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Interesting how every dealer in the country is now featuring the PSS as a replacement tire but I haven't heard any intentions for the factory to follow suit.

Lower tire pressure typically will decrease tire life due to the additional heat generated but in the case of the C63 the lower pressure decreases the wheel spin which chews the tires to bits. In this case a little more rolling resistance is a good thing.
I agree. Another point: my techs tell me the false economy of the over inflated tire leads as a rule to premature center wear. They recommend the door sticker pressures, more or less, for most driving.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Originally Posted by hhughes1

Wow, that is a semi true statement. There is no reason to run more than 32 to 35 psi in your tires. If you look at the stats, 5 psi relates to a 1% drop in fuel economy, would anyone notice that in a c63.
I run 35 on the street and 40 at the track and try to keep them at that once they heat up because the contact patch goes to hell and the tires get greasy. The only reason to run higher pressures on street tires is to minimize sidewall deflection during cornering. For drag racing, the reverse is best, lower pressure to increase the contact patch.
I've got 10K on Dunlop Star Specs which are as close to you get to R compound tires with a lot of track time. Stop listening to every dumb *** and dealer.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 AM

2009 C63 ///Amg
I need new tires and was looking at getting the hanooks cuz they are so cheap.

This thread has been very informative, but I don't understand the 15k warranty with the PSS, my last set of conti dws's had 50k mile warranty but im sure it will be voided due to the ridiculous uneven wear from the negative camber on our cars i got les that 10k miles on them in the rear

Does everyone have this problem or does it seem like it is only affecting certain cars?

Does the warranty on the PSS include negative camber wear on tires?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by j bro
I need new tires and was looking at getting the hanooks cuz they are so cheap.

This thread has been very informative, but I don't understand the 15k warranty with the PSS, my last set of conti dws's had 50k mile warranty but im sure it will be voided due to the ridiculous uneven wear from the negative camber on our cars i got les that 10k miles on them in the rear

Does everyone have this problem or does it seem like it is only affecting certain cars?

Does the warranty on the PSS include negative camber wear on tires?
The C63 already comes with some slight negative camber from the factory, add the 443 ft/lbs of torque into the mix and you're really going to go through tires.
I would assume Michelin will honor the warranty granted the tires are mounted on OEM wheels with OEM suspension.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:57 AM

2009 C63 ///Amg
Yes i have noticed that forsure.

How many miles did you get out of your hanooks when you had them before and how are the PSSs holding up?

There isn't really anything we can do to lessen the camber on our cars is there?

I called tirerack about the warranty on my contis and they said they are going to have a hard time warrantying them with the uneven wear which sucks.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63

How many miles did you get out of your hanooks when you had them before and how are the PSSs holding up?

There isn't really anything we can do to lessen the camber on our cars is there?

I called tirerack about the warranty on my contis and they said they are going to have a hard time warrantying them with the uneven wear which sucks.
I honestly don't remember, but If I had to take a rough guess I would say around 6K miles.
The PSS are holding up very nicely I have around 1,500 miles on them so far.

The only way to lessen the camber on the C63 is to go with an adjustable camber kit. Here is a link.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...amber-kit.html
Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe

I found that the PSS got WAY better tread life than the Hankooks on my M3. Also, the traction and steering response was not even close. I regretted the Hankooks as soon as they were on the car. My opinion is I went cheap and I got the results to show for it.

I wouldn't reduce the negative camber. It would impact handling. It is the price we pay to drive performance cars... this and bad gas mileage

I understand the cost of running these types of cars but, IMO, it is the price we decided to live with to have the power and handling that comes with sport coupes/sedans. If the cost of gas, tires, brakes was prohibitive, then a C350 would have been a better choice. For me, I would rather have better traction from the negative camber and grippy rubber than save a few bucks on tires. The good news with the PSS is you get really good tread life so on a $$ per mile basis, I would bet they are fairly close to less expensive tires.

I suppose that for non aggressive street driving the Hankooks would be fine but we didn't buy our cars for just getting groceries did we!

Last edited by gthal; 10-30-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:47 AM

W211 E55
Michelin Super Sport if you are willing to spend the extra money. Or spend a little more than the HanKook and get the Continental DW not the DWS unless you spend time in the snow since DWS is an all season instead of a summer tire like the DW
Old 10-30-2011, 12:49 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
Originally Posted by SamBoler
Michelin Super Sport if you are willing to spend the extra money. Or spend a little more than the HanKook and get the Continental DW not the DWS unless you spend time in the snow since DWS is an all season instead of a summer tire like the DW
i got the dws cuz of the supposed 50k warranty and expected to get some grreat tread life out of them and the performance numbers were pretty close to the dw anyway, but they didnt even last 10k!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stick with Hankook or Michelin Super Sport??