C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Is there a definitive answer: Can you use STAR to disable your TPMS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Is there a definitive answer: Can you use STAR to disable your TPMS?

Constant interference with my bit one DSP is causing interference for the front two tires and so it intermittently goes off and says that it can't find one/both two front TPMS. Swapped out the front sensors with brand new ones, and problem still persists.

Figured that if I survived without them in my E55, I can survive without them in my C63. I have read that MB dealership won't disable them because of the legal ramifications, but has anyone had them disabled via an independent shop?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Constant interference with my bit one DSP is causing interference for the front two tires and so it intermittently goes off and says that it can't find one/both two front TPMS. Swapped out the front sensors with brand new ones, and problem still persists.

Figured that if I survived without them in my E55, I can survive without them in my C63. I have read that MB dealership won't disable them because of the legal ramifications, but has anyone had them disabled via an independent shop?
You can disable them through SDS even though I wouldn't recommend doing it.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
You can disable them through SDS even though I wouldn't recommend doing it.
And why is that?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Pertplus
And why is that?
It is called peace of mind. How often do you walk around your car to see if all of your tires look inflated correctly or even notice if one is down on pressure? God forbid you are having a spirited driving experience and somehow you have a puncture in one of your tires. You won't know without TPMS and it could be too late before you realize it. If you drive the tires off of a car like I do then having a fully functional TPMS is essential.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
It is called peace of mind. How often do you walk around your car to see if all of your tires look inflated correctly or even notice if one is down on pressure? God forbid you are having a spirited driving experience and somehow you have a puncture in one of your tires. You won't know without TPMS and it could be too late before you realize it. If you drive the tires off of a car like I do then having a fully functional TPMS is essential.
Good point.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
i removed the TPMS because of false alarms...i check my tires regularly and can tell if one is low by just driving it. Now if it gave me accurate pressures I'd keep them but it doesn't so i junked em.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GHAZAN
i removed the TPMS because of false alarms...i check my tires regularly and can tell if one is low by just driving it. Now if it gave me accurate pressures I'd keep them but it doesn't so i junked em.
Exactly. While I understand the above point that they could alert me to an issue while I am driving, the consistent false alarms are annoying and since I don't drive all that much, it's not an inconvenience to just check my tire pressure every week and get them filled when necessary. Did you just take your car to an indy shop or did the MBZ dealership disable them (and the error message) for you? Thanks Ghaz.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
My Canadian car doesn't have TPMS, and I'm so happy about it... I don't mind checking them manually + I don't have to worry when changing my stock wheels set-up to my aftermarket (vice versa).
Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

was just told from MBZ San Diego service advisor whom I trust, that for post-2008 cars, NHTSA does not allow you to build cars without TPMS and hence, Mercedes STAR site won't allow you to disable them so that no warning light appears. Not sure if this is the gospel, but even the independent techs at ACG said they had never done it to a car post-2008.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E46 M3, '09 C63
I wonder if the ROW C63s can use the tire speed sensor to monitor an under-inflated tire, like BMW does.

USDM BMWs have TPMS as well, but ROW BMWs use the speed of each tire to calculate rolling diameter, an under-inflated tire will have a smaller rolling diameter, and different speed from the rest of the tires.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Exacc
I wonder if the ROW C63s can use the tire speed sensor to monitor an under-inflated tire, like BMW does.

USDM BMWs have TPMS as well, but ROW BMWs use the speed of each tire to calculate rolling diameter, an under-inflated tire will have a smaller rolling diameter, and different speed from the rest of the tires.
My Canadian 2010 C63 is like this. No TPMS and uses the wheel sensors to tell if a tire has low air pressure. The US cars may or may not be able to be modified to eliminate the TPMS or to use the wheels sensors. We know it can be done ROW but not sure if a US car can be modified using Star as it would be against US law. They may lock that feature out in the US Star.

Also read Roswell's reply two posts above yours.