C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tint or not to tint. That is the question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 G550
I'm running 3M Crystalline all the way around, including 90% on the windshield.

If you want to cut the heat and UV but not have to go too dark, check it out.
I would argue it's the best film available at the moment.

Not always easy to find installers that carry it though.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Here in Arizona is not about the looks, it is about dropping the temperatures down. It is a must, you can ask anyone. Summers here without A/C or tint are hell on earth....
Same here in southern NV.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 AM

None
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Here in Arizona is not about the looks, it is about dropping the temperatures down. It is a must, you can ask anyone. Summers here without A/C or tint are hell on earth....
Oh come on it's not THAT bad (you thought ahead and bought a white car right? ), having lived in a desert most of my life. Put up a windshield screen and it cuts down on most of the heat of the day. The only time the sun is seriously going to be going through the windows is early morning and late afternoon, and the sun is less intense at those times anyways.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM
FBG

2011 C63
OEM Glass

I live in Hawaii and I won't tint. I like the clear glass and the way it looks. To me it is crisp, classic, and timeless. I mean how long do tints last? Also, can anybody answer if the standard glass has any UV reflecting properties?
However, tinting probably saves your A/C Compressor a lot of work and reduces the work load on engine components.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 AM

None
Originally Posted by FBG
I live in Hawaii and I won't tint. I like the clear glass and the way it looks. To me it is crisp, classic, and timeless. I mean how long do tints last? Also, can anybody answer if the standard glass has any UV reflecting properties?
However, tinting probably saves your A/C Compressor a lot of work and reduces the work load on engine components.
UV isn't the issue, it's infrared light. By tinting the glass and making it blacker you make it so the glass absorbs more of the infrared (and other visible wavelengths). So your windows get hotter instead of the inside of your car.

All glass will absorb most of the UV from the sun. So it's nearly impossible to get a sunburn in a car with the windows rolled up....tinted or not. I say nearly because I have seen it happen on a female who was wearing a lotion that made her skin extremely UV sensitive.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I've tinted all my cars since 1995. I don't go with the gangster limo tint but something in the middle of the range. Besides looking better (notice most car ad feature tinted windows) it really lowers the heat on the inside. I never have to use my visors on the sidewindows.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 AM

09 Steel Gray C63
Went with lumar at the darkest legal in Fl (not super dark). Is lumar any good?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by _AMG_
You can lose your license in Canada for having tints?

Well as a "Novice" driver we have many rules to follow and if you get enough tickets you will have a chance to lose your license.

Also some of my mods are illegal like my tinted lights and my exhaust (cat-less)
So there is really no point in getting pulled over and having to deal with more crap from those *******s!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by Jeffield
Well as a "Novice" driver we have many rules to follow and if you get enough tickets you will have a chance to lose your license.

Also some of my mods are illegal like my tinted lights and my exhaust (cat-less)
So there is really no point in getting pulled over and having to deal with more crap from those *******s!
Haha yah the cops are *******s here in Canada! The other day I ripped it off a light 0-90ish the speed limit was 80km/h. The cop pulled me over and told me that "Hard Acceleration" was "Reckless." I told him "Im sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that..." Got away with a warning, but they have a reputation for going after the stupid little things!

Im thinking of tinting as well in the next few weeks. Ill let you guys know what I come up with. I have a black car, so I want something pretty cool. Maybe install something like this hahah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbfR2YTWI4
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
i have never gotten hassled about tints on my car. I've had 30% all around on my last car for almost 7 years, and so far in this one. I've been pulled over for other things (no front plates), but no cop ever said anything about my tints.

VaclavSV, just go with a 30% tint all around, it'll look good No need for anything "cool".
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
I've tinted all my cars since 1995. I don't go with the gangster limo tint but something in the middle of the range. Besides looking better (notice most car ad feature tinted windows) it really lowers the heat on the inside. I never have to use my visors on the sidewindows.
lol yup, even the windshield a lot of times.. i get so jealous lol
Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 PM

None
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
Haha yah the cops are *******s here in Canada! The other day I ripped it off a light 0-90ish the speed limit was 80km/h. The cop pulled me over and told me that "Hard Acceleration" was "Reckless.
I've heard of this happening in the States. My opinion is it's complete BS. If I want to use launch control coming off every red light then it's my bloody choice as long as I stay under the speed limit.

If I got ticketed for it, I'd take it to court. Because "hard acceleration" is way too vague a term to be legal.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I just got tint done with LUMAR 35% all around. The C class is known to be a VERY easy car to tint. Fantastic. Lumar is supposed to be some of the best. I know 3M is great too but my tint guy was saying there have been some issues with it...Super professional and cleaaaan....I'll post pics and some tips on what to ask for later today...
Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I had tinted my '09 Obsidian but had not tinted my 2010. Each time I looked at the Irridium Silver I kept thinking it would look great with Tint. Without tint it just looks like a goofy C Class... So I am going for 35% Lumar all around. This should make it nice a smoke with still some visibilty. I don't like too dark.

Khmer I am set for my tint appointment at 9 am tomorrow!!

Thanks guys!
Necroing thread. I will try to book an appointment for Jan. 2nd!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
BTW, you didn't post picks ****.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
i've got 15% all around (sans windshield) on my OB and it looks perfect.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by khmergod
BTW, you didn't post picks ****.
Hahaha....I thought I did....but I will. Weather here is kinda crap...I will as soon as the weather lightens up a bit...

But if you get a nice smoke look it really set the car out and makes it look sporty.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here you go...
Attached Thumbnails To tint or not to tint. That is the question.-img_1792.jpg   To tint or not to tint. That is the question.-img_1794.jpg   To tint or not to tint. That is the question.-img_1796.jpg   To tint or not to tint. That is the question.-img_1785.jpg   To tint or not to tint. That is the question.-img_1795.jpg  

Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM

2007 clk63 amg
no tints

i like visibility, im no gangsta, nothing to hide, i am cool, i am nice, no need to hide ...i have no device
Old 12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Please post side views of the car so we can see
Also the specs on the film
Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't have any pics now and weather is crummy so soon...

Lumar 35% all around except windshield. You can see the inside garage pics throught the windows that they are not very dark...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 AM

M3 - C63 blk/blk ordered
Originally Posted by enochroot
I'm running 3M Crystalline all the way around, including 90% on the windshield.

If you want to cut the heat and UV but not have to go too dark, check it out.
I would argue it's the best film available at the moment.

Not always easy to find installers that carry it though.
I agree.

I have always been a Huper Optik fan by I also am going to go with the 3M Crystalline this time. It one of the only films that does 99.9% UV (keeps leather looking good) and is near as effective as ceramic at rejecting heat. I think the ability to essentially put clear on the windshield and sunroof glass will only add to it's total effectiveness.
Attached Thumbnails To tint or not to tint. That is the question.-photo1.jpg  

Last edited by Firewired; 12-31-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: mustype
Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 AM

2012 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by noodleman
i have never gotten hassled about tints on my car. I've had 30% all around on my last car for almost 7 years, and so far in this one. I've been pulled over for other things (no front plates), but no cop ever said anything about my tints.

VaclavSV, just go with a 30% tint all around, it'll look good No need for anything "cool".
Then you my friend are lucky! I've been pulled over several times for tint on my car...just tint...not for speeding or any other infraction and then cited for tint on top of it...just tint. Their reasoning ( as I was so politely informed) is that they can't see how many are in the vehicle or if I had weapons in the vehicle. After my third time being pulled over for tint the officer said I obviously wasn't catching on so he scratched a line with his pen down it so I had to replace it on my drivers window. I think its a joke that we can't do something as simple as tint our cars so as for now I just call it a "tint-tax" and pay it... it was my G37 that he scratched it off so I was P/O but let it slide... if he tries it on the Benz well they'll probably have justification for a ticket then...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Guys this is just my .2 being a police officer. 1. Let me make it very clear that I don't condone what that officer did. That was just wrong and gives us "the good cops" a bad reputation. I would NEVER damage anyone's car that is wrong and you should file a formal complaint. These are the cops that make everyone hate us.

I can tell you that really dark tint ARE A OFFICER SAFETY ISSUE. We don't like walking up to cars with dark windows. Remember hands do the killing and if we can't see the hands we don't know what's going on. 95% of us are decent people who just like dark windows but you should see how many times we get shot at or tried to be ran over because we couldn't see inside the car. Please just remember we all stopping you for a traffic infraction for all we know. That same person could have just shot his wife or god knows who and thinks we are stopping him because we are looking for him. And in reality it's his tints or somthing as simple as a brake light. Yes I cite if they are way too dark but I usually give a fix it ticket so when they go to court it's dropped. Please just try to put yourself in our shoes I know there's a few bad apples but it's not all of us. Just FYI if I pull over ( and have ) pulled over the same driver in the same car for the same offense I simply note the ticket and let the Judge deal with it, not be a ***** and ruin someone's car. Guys I'm a major car guy but I can see where dark glass is a reason for safety.

Originally Posted by CK17
Then you my friend are lucky! I've been pulled over several times for tint on my car...just tint...not for speeding or any other infraction and then cited for tint on top of it...just tint. Their reasoning ( as I was so politely informed) is that they can't see how many are in the vehicle or if I had weapons in the vehicle. After my third time being pulled over for tint the officer said I obviously wasn't catching on so he scratched a line with his pen down it so I had to replace it on my drivers window. I think its a joke that we can't do something as simple as tint our cars so as for now I just call it a "tint-tax" and pay it... it was my G37 that he scratched it off so I was P/O but let it slide... if he tries it on the Benz well they'll probably have justification for a ticket then...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Sorry for the spelling ( posting on an iPhone ) lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To tint or not to tint. That is the question.