Sponsored by:

question on s,s+ and M mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 coupe EVO X(sold) WRX (sold)
question on s,s+ and M mode

Im wondering can i switch to s,s+ and M mode when im driving?
Is that going to harm the tranny?
Also S+ and M, which one is faster for switching gears ??thx
Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
C S S+ you can switch while driving

M should only be switched to when stopped.

M has the fastest shifts.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
manual says change when stopped....
I never change while in motion........

but it's your car you know?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
i did it all the time in my last c63. change to m while moving that is. i only put 6000 miles on it but my transmission was very low on fluid at 5500 miles. filling it back up fixed it but im not sure why it was low. i guess it could have been because of switching to m mode while moving?

i wonder if its covered by the warranty?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I kind of doubt that would be under warranty if you change while driving.....
like I mentioned......says that in the manual, not to change while in motion
Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 AM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Originally Posted by hyperion667
the service person said that they would fix it or replace it under warranty. of course we never got that far but i think they would have done it.

and why is it harmful to your transmission to change to m mode while moving and its not harmful to the other modes?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by hyperion667
How would they know? I didn't know and yes, I have read the manual although obviously not as thoroughly as I thought. That might be recommended, but it aint carved in stone or you wouldnt be able to do it, just like I cant watch a DVD while moving.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Guys... if changing to M mode while moving would damage the transmission, the car would not allow it to happen. It is electronically controlled. Besides, you can manually shift even when in auto mode. If changing the button setting would override a setting mechanically (like a parking brake), then I can see it causing an issue. However, it is electronic and there is zero chance that MB would allow the car to do this if it caused damage.

If the car allows it to occur in motion, then it won't damage the transmission. 90% of owners do not read their manuals carefully enough to pick this up. MB would have a lot of damaged transmissions otherwise. No different than the car won't allow you to downshift and overrev the engine... because it is electronically controlled by the computer. Same thing here.

Last edited by gthal; 11-06-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Exactly gthal.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by gthal
Guys... if changing to M mode while moving would damage the transmission, the car would not allow it to happen. It is electronically controlled. Besides, you can manually shift even when in auto mode. If changing the button setting would override a setting mechanically (like a parking brake), then I can see it causing an issue. However, it is electronic and there is zero chance that MB would allow the car to do this if it caused damage.

If the car allows it to occur in motion, then it won't damage the transmission. 90% of owners do not read their manuals carefully enough to pick this up. MB would have a lot of damaged transmissions otherwise. No different than the car won't allow you to downshift and overrev the engine... because it is electronically controlled by the computer. Same thing here.
There are numerous things in the manual that are very important for the service and maintenance of the car. Lots of people don't ever read the manual, but that doesn't mean those people are not at risk of damaging there car if they do something that the manual doesn't recommend.

I, for one, do place the tranmission in park before I switch transmission gears, because it provides for this in the manual. But, I have the older model.

Just curious, have you ever accidentally forgot to shift at redline on this car?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Yes. In my old car I did. It just bounces off the rev limiter.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by CELLryuu
Yes. In my old car I did. It just bounces off the rev limiter.
And then just kept on driving?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
And then just kept on driving?
Lol. Well not long. Maybe a second or two.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by CELLryuu
Lol. Well not long. Maybe a second or two.
LOL. That's what I was thinking.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
There are numerous things in the manual that are very important for the service and maintenance of the car. Lots of people don't ever read the manual, but that doesn't mean those people are not at risk of damaging there car if they do something that the manual doesn't recommend.

I, for one, do place the tranmission in park before I switch transmission gears, because it provides for this in the manual. But, I have the older model.

Just curious, have you ever accidentally forgot to shift at redline on this car?
Doing so would be largely irrelevant. The car cuts fuel when you hit redline thereby not allowing the engine to over rev. You can bounce off the limiter all day. You will just hit the redline, engine cuts fuel, hit the redline, engine cuts fuel, repeat. These cars could rev past redline without real issue as redline is set as a safe place well within tolerances. Sure it would be extra wear and tear keeping RPMs that high but it would do no damage. The car controls this by cutting fuel. On the track, you spend 80% of the time within a couple of thousand RPM of redline and unless careful, will bump against it several times a day. No harm at all.

This is the same thing for the transmission. The computer controls what happens. It will not allow a missed shift, it will not allow an overrev, it will not damage the transmission by turning a knob in the car.

No different than the M3. Hit the redline and it bounces off, cutting fuel. Drive on and do it again if you wish. The car will NOT allow you to do real damage.

Same with an untimely downshift. It won't even allow you to do it if it will cause a mechanical over rev of the engine... also known as a money shift for 6MT drivers. It isn't possible in this car unless the computer malfunctioned somehow.

I agree that the manual includes a variety of things important to maintenance and longevity. However, turning a button will NOT cause a catastrophic damage to the transmission... period. If it did, half of the C63s on the road would have been back for transmission work by now because their owners would have tried it without knowing better. MB is not that stupid to allow this to occur.

Last edited by gthal; 11-06-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by gthal
Doing so would be largely irrelevant. The car cuts fuel when you hit redline thereby not allowing the engine to over rev. You can bounce off the limiter all day. You will just hit the redline, engine cuts fuel, hit the redline, engine cuts fuel, repeat. These cars could rev past redline without real issue as redline is set as a safe place well within tolerances. Sure it would be extra wear and tear keeping RPMs that high but it would do no damage. The car controls this by cutting fuel. On the track, you spend 80% of the time within a couple of thousand RPM of redline and unless careful, will bump against it several times a day. No harm at all.

This is the same thing for the transmission. The computer controls what happens. It will not allow a missed shift, it will not allow an overrev, it will not damage the transmission by turning a knob in the car.

No different than the M3. Hit the redline and it bounces off, cutting fuel. Drive on and do it again if you wish. The car will NOT allow you to do real damage.

Same with an untimely downshift. It won't even allow you to do it if it will cause a mechanical over rev of the engine... also known as a money shift for 6MT drivers. It isn't possible in this car unless the computer malfunctioned somehow.

I agree that the manual includes a variety of things important to maintenance and longevity. However, turning a button will NOT cause a catastrophic damage to the transmission... period. If it did, half of the C63s on the road would have been back for transmission work by now because their owners would have tried it without knowing better. MB is not that stupid to allow this to occur.
Well... Nice post.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
interesting, thanx guys.....(seriously)