C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neighbor left a note on my windshield...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by NellyRod
No. I have MBH LT headers with catless resonated mid pipes and a K2 tune.
In this case, I don't really blame your neighbor . I agree with others here and also think that he is being polite. My exhaust is modified as well and at cold start it sounds like an explosion, at least that's what my neighbors told me. At early morning hours, I leave the garage door closed when I start it up and open it when the revs come down. I'm sure they can still hear it, but at least I make an effort. I also leave my house and come back to it as quietly as possible.

At least your neighbor left you an note. I had some guy follow me home, park in front of my driveway and complain that when I go by his house his two little dogs start barking
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by acr2001
No offense meant, but those of you with loud exhaust mods really are annoying as all hell. The neighbors complaining are in the right and you are in the wrong. Just wanted to put that out there, not trying to start an argument.

Sorry but I completely disagree with you... I do NOT think anyone is in the WRONG.

I think this is just a situation that can be discussed and mutually fix.

I don't think someone modding their exhaust is IN THE WRONG.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jeffield
Sorry but I completely disagree with you... I do NOT think anyone is in the WRONG.

Ditto, no one is in the "Wrong" here, especially for modding the Exhaust.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
If you've modded your exhaust in such a way that it is very loud you are in the wrong.
I'm sure there is a decibel number that could be agreed upon as "too loud" and I am also sure it is illegal at that point. Get over it. Now if you did some kind of mod that isn't bothering others - then by all means, enjoy!

Last edited by acr2001; 11-19-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe

I don't think anyone is "wrong" as such. However, if the tables were turned, I can assure you that each and every one of us... even those who say screw the neighbor, would be annoyed to. Picture this... you have a 2 year old and your neighbor mods his exhaust. He wakes up your 2 year old every morning at 5AM leaving for work because the car is so loud. If the 2 year old is up, so are you and you are NOT too happy about it. Tell me you wouldn't be annoyed at your neighbor... I bet you would be annoyed enough to think he was "wrong".

The reality is that we should be able to do whatever we want but we need to do it while being respectful of those around us... we would expect the same of others towards us. So, we can be all tough and say "rev it louder", "f the neighbor", "too bad for him" (not suggesting you are saying this) but if the tables were reversed, I guarantee each of us would be equally as annoyed as the neighbor but many wouldn't have been as nice in dealing with it.

Last edited by gthal; 11-19-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls55
I'd park regular just so they think you are making an effort, people will key your car for fun now days
Old 11-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
I found this note on my windshield today.

"hello, I was awoken at 4am ish when you started your car. I asked my downstairs neighbors and they said the same and suggested I leave you a note. If at all possible could you start up quiter? We're both in building #19 (where you back into) and even during the day our dogs go crazy because it's so loud (doors and windows closed). If that's just the way your car is, possibly turning the mufflers (parking normal) other way might elevate some ear pressure. Just a suggestion from a friendly noise sensitive neighbor. Thanks".

I'm not sure Parking the other way will help. It'll just point my mufflers at the building I live in. The sound will just bounce of my building and back at the other one. Anyone else get complaints?
Well bro, there you have it. Bothering neighbors isnt a good thing. You are not living in your own house. Therefore, get your self some 300 cell sport cats from dynocomp
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by gthal
I don't think anyone is "wrong" as such. However, no one can convince me that if their neighbor modified their car to the point that it was loud enough to wake you up every morning it wouldn't annoy you too... and rightfully so. If you had kids, for example, and your neighbor's car woke them every morning at 5AM I can PROMISE you that you would be very annoyed and would probably think he was an idiot. This really comes down to being respectful of others... but, I do agree, no one is really wrong but if the exhaust is really loud enough to wake up the neighbors, IMO, it has to be addressed. Why? Because I am CERTAIN that if the tables were turned, everyone here who think it is no big deal would change their opinion when someone else (loud dog, Harley revving, whatever) was disturbing them.
This is pretty much exactly what I'm saying. I only say that they are "wrong" for modifying their exhaust in order to have it so loud. In all honestly, when a car has particularly loud exhaust it almost always gives me the impression that the driver is very immature. It doesn't sound good either - just silly! Now if you've done a tasteful exhaust mod to make things sound a bit different or more throaty, but not stupidly loud then please don't be offended because you are not the type I'm talking about.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
If you've modded your exhaust in such a way that it is very loud you are in the wrong.
I'm sure there is a decibel number that could be agreed upon as "too loud" and I am also sure it is illegal at that point. Get over it. Now if you did some kind of mod that isn't bothering others - then by all means, enjoy!

I still don't think the word should be "wrong" the thing is NO ONE is wrong and no one can tell someone they are wrong about it.

People enjoy different things perhaps you think its not right to have your exhaust that loud but guess what... the world is not yours. The neighbor has it right by asking can he park differently and TRY to mellow it down a little is correct. But simply telling him he can't do that and he is wrong. My reaction would be **** that **** who are you to tell me I am wrong and this can't be done when its my car.

But if my neighbor came and asked nicely and trying to resolve everything maturely by ASKING and figuring out together thats a different.

But like I said if you told me I am wrong, I would just tell you to F off.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 AM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
This is pretty much exactly what I'm saying. I only say that they are "wrong" for modifying their exhaust in order to have it so loud. In all honestly, when a car has particularly loud exhaust it almost always gives me the impression that the driver is very immature. It doesn't sound good either - just silly! Now if you've done a tasteful exhaust mod to make things sound a bit different or more throaty, but not stupidly loud then please don't be offended because you are not the type I'm talking about.
My mid pipes are resonated. When I'm driving around town you wouldn't even be able to tell that my car is modded. It's only the cold starts that sound like the apocalypse is coming.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I still don't think the word should be "wrong" the thing is NO ONE is wrong and no one can tell someone they are wrong about it.

People enjoy different things perhaps you think its not right to have your exhaust that loud but guess what... the world is not yours. The neighbor has it right by asking can he park differently and TRY to mellow it down a little is correct. But simply telling him he can't do that and he is wrong. My reaction would be **** that **** who are you to tell me I am wrong and this can't be done when its my car.

But if my neighbor came and asked nicely and trying to resolve everything maturely by ASKING and figuring out together thats a different.

Uh... no. If your car is so loud that it is a disturbance, it is wrong. It's not even legal, your neighbor can complain and you can be ticketed for it. As you said, the world is not yours - that means you need to respect others - not that you can blast them with a loud exhaust. Illegal and disrespecting others - pretty cut and dry case of being 'wrong'. You won't "try" to quiet it down if it is illegally loud - you WILL quiet it down or your neighbors will be right to file grievances against you. If you live out on a farm without a close neighbor then go for it, as loud as you want! Anyone who doesn't understand this and says that they have a right to be as loud as they want is very immature - and certainly wrong!

I've made my point so I will not comment further in this thread as it will clearly turn into a waste of time arguing very silly things.

Last edited by acr2001; 11-20-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe

I guess the only way it would be "wrong" is if it is louder than the law permitted (which isn't that loud really in most states/provinces). However, IMO, if someone does something that makes others' lives miserable, that is wrong too... that's just my opinion. My gauge is if I am doing something that would annoy me if someone did it to me, then I won't do it. I come back to the dog issue. My neighbor has a dog that they allow to bark for 15 to 20 min at a time when it wants to come back in the house. It wakes me up and annoys the sh*t out of me. In my opinion, it is "wrong" for them to allow the dog to do this. I wouldn't if it were my dog. The OP's situation isn't much different other than car enthusiasts get defensive.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by gthal
I guess the only way it would be "wrong" is if it is louder than the law permitted (which isn't that loud really in most states/provinces). However, IMO, if someone does something that makes others' lives miserable, that is wrong too... that's just my opinion. My gauge is if I am doing something that would annoy me if someone did it to me, then I won't do it. I come back to the dog issue. My neighbor has a dog that they allow to bark for 15 to 20 min at a time when it wants to come back in the house. It wakes me up and annoys the sh*t out of me. In my opinion, it is "wrong" for them to allow the dog to do this. I wouldn't if it were my dog. The OP's situation isn't much different other than car enthusiasts get defensive.
I know I said I wouldn't comment any further... but just one last comment:

This is a reasonable respectful approach to this. I couldn't agree more.

... and now I'll see myself out of this thread.

Last edited by acr2001; 11-20-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Uh... no. If your car is so loud that it is a disturbance, it is wrong. It's not even legal, your neighbor can complain and you can be ticketed for it. As you said, the world is not yours - that means you need to respect others - not that you can blast them with a loud exhaust. Illegal and disrespecting others - pretty cut and dry case of being 'wrong'. You won't "try" to quiet it down if it is illegally loud - you WILL quiet it down or your neighbors will be right to file grievances against you. If you live out on a farm without a close neighbor then go for it, as loud as you want! Anyone who doesn't understand this and says that they have a right to be as loud as they want is very immature - and certainly wrong!

I've made my point so I will not comment further in this thread as it will clearly turn into a waste of time arguing very silly things.
I agree. We are free to do as we wish... free country and all... but within the limits of the law. We have no idea whether the OP's exhaust is louder than permitted so we won't know. As people get older and they realize how their actions impact on others (and how annoying others are to them), their opinion change
Old 11-20-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
I actually think the neighbor is being polite and is well within their right to complain.

Dont get me wrong, I think a 63 with LT's sounds uber sexy....but no one could argue that it isn't loud...correct that...LOUD!
Agreed. At least they wrote a polite note.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
Actually, I still wouldn't call someone wrong. I would call them wrong if they are not doing something about it and being obnoxious. To this date we don't know enough about the OP's state laws and how "legal" would be.

When I was a kid my neighbors would come and Bitc..h me out and say that I was playing basketball at 6:30 at night is too late in my neighbor hood and gave me crap for it everyday.

Does that make me wrong? Although its causing a problem doesnt make me wrong.

The thing is we don't know enough and you're not going to guess this... if there is an issue the neighbor can do this... Call the police... if they find something wrong then get it dealt with....

But in this case I think he is at a point where no one is wrong and it should just be resolved mutually.

I think this scenario is the most ideal way it should happen... the neighbor suggested a way to resolve it and OP will follow but perhaps this will still wake the neighbor up, but if I was the neighbor I would realize that he is trying and they will slowly figure out a way to resolve it. But if the neighbor came up to me and told me to get rid of it and that I am wrong for getting it.. then fk you..

I personally have a loud exhaust and in my street there are more than 2 different cars that are like this... my neighbor said I was too loud coming home at 4 am and I can't do anything about it.. but I try my best not to... my neighbor realized i am trying and changed his attitude and we figure out a way to fix this..... in the end we are talking and happy with each other.

I think that is the best way of solving something maturely.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Wow! That is a kind of neighbor I want. I think you basically got the best case scenario here. I would talk to them.
May I suggest an engine warmer. A corded hanging lamp (60watt)left in the engineer bay keeps it warm enough to reduce the start up bark. That would look good on you to at least attempt to help.
I like the am bark as much as anyone here, but let's be honest. We are not the norm here.
I would do something as a sign of good faith to say the least.
Good luck
Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I would just go talk to him apologize and just do as he asked moving your car. We both know it wont matter, but make the effort. I feel bad when I cold start my car in the mornings as well since I live in a small complex. People don't realize if they arent making the noise it can be annoying. I use to have a loud sound system when I was younger and blasted it for the world to hear. Now it annoys me and I got rid of the system. I can see if someone started their loud *** car in the mornings while I was trying to sleep could get annoying. Imagine getting woken up every day at the same time and getting so pissed about it you cant sleep..I am sure this is what is happening. If he went as far to leave you a note and his APT number he must be really upset about it, but seems courteous at the same time.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
No. I have MBH LT headers with catless resonated mid pipes and a K2 tune.
You'll never get it quite enough with that set up. Better idea, buy a house. They are cheap are so are the loans.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:52 AM

14 E63S AMG
My mid pipes are resonated. When I'm driving around town you wouldn't even be able to tell that my car is modded. It's only the cold starts that sound like the apocalypse is coming.

Tell the neighbor you have ten parrots on the way....and then ask him what would you preffer ten parrots on my C63! He will say C63.... If not get him an ipod... So he can use it every night..... Make sure you only put the song friom the legendary stardust cowboy, paralyzed! Listen to it on youtube... You will love it....
Old 11-20-2011, 02:05 AM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
Originally Posted by arspider
Tell the neighbor you have ten parrots on the way....and then ask him what would you preffer ten parrots on my C63! He will say C63.... If not get him an ipod... So he can use it every night..... Make sure you only put the song friom the legendary stardust cowboy, paralyzed! Listen to it on youtube... You will love it....
Just listened to it. Couldn't stop laughing at the thought of playing that song with someone else in the car and keeping a straight face.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:12 AM

2006 E55 AMG
video of cold start-up?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
we need vids,
Old 11-20-2011, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
In todays society I think you're doing pretty well by having neighbors that leave a note and not a slashed tire. I'd go talk to them and say you will try a few things to make it better for them - even if it doesn't help you've built a rep up and will earn a little forgiveness. My $0.02
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Banned

C63
Hook up with their legal daughter if they had one , that way they won't say a word again :p

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Neighbor left a note on my windshield...