C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
Back in '08 I was dating a girl with a brand new C300. Brakes squealed. Over 6 months she took it to the dealership 3 times to have that taken care of. It never went away. She's been a happy Lexus owner since. My 2010 C63 had occasional squealing until the fronts were worn too low (sensor didn't say a thing) then the chorus was loud and clear and embarrassing. New OEM rotors and pads on all four corners and she is silent again.

Last edited by Clark Kent; 12-07-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2017, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Here's a very good video on causes of brake squeal and what to do to fix them.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 63 AMG
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bhamg
Bedding allows your brakes to reach their full potential. Until they are bedded, your brakes simply do not work as well as they can. If you've installed a big brake kit, changed your pads and rotors, or even purchased a brand new car, you should set aside time to bed the brakes according to the instructions below. Proper bedding improves pedal feel, reduces or eliminates brake squeal, prevents (and often cures) brake judder, reduces brake dust, and extends the life of your pads and rotors. For more details on the theory of bedding, please refer to this article by Centric Parts: Pad and Rotor Bed-In Theory, Definitions and Procedures

Caution: Immediately after installing new pads, rotors or a big brake kit, the first few applications of the brakes will result in very little braking power. Gently use the brakes a few times at low speed in order to build up some grip before blasting down the road at high speed. Otherwise, you may be in for a nasty surprise the first time you hit the brakes at 60 mph.

If you have just installed rotors with zinc or cadmium plating, or if the rotors have an anti-corrosion phosphate coating, you should postpone the bedding process until normal driving has allowed your brake pads to polish the rotors clean and removed all traces of the plating or coating. If your new brake rotors have an oily anti-corrosion coating, you should clean this off thoroughly with brake cleaning spray and/or hot soapy water.

Read and understand these bedding instructions completely before starting. If you have questions, give us a call or email. Do not substitute higher speeds for the 60mph called for in these instructions. The heat in your brakes goes up exponentially as you increase the speed from which you brake. If you make repeated stops from 80 or 90mph with street pads, you will overheat the brakes and may end up having to replace pads and/or rotors.

When following these instructions, avoid other vehicles. Bedding is often best done early in the morning, when traffic is light, since other drivers will have no idea what you are up to and may respond in a variety of ways ranging from fear to curiosity to aggression. A police officer will probably not understand when you try to explain why you were driving erratically! Zeckhausen Racing does not endorse speeding on public roads and takes no responsibility for any injuries or tickets you may receive while following these instructions. Use common sense!

From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 10-15 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph and then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely and sit with your foot on the brake pedal, you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.

The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible. The brakes need only a few minutes to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still very hot.

If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction PFC01 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 10 mph.

After the break-in cycle, there should be a slight blue tint and a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.

After the first break in cycle shown above, the brakes may still not be fully broken in. A second bed-in cycle, AFTER the brakes have cooled down fully from the first cycle, may be necessary before the brakes really start to perform well. This is especially true if you have installed new pads on old rotors, since the pads need time to conform to the old rotor wear pattern. If you've just installed a big brake kit, the pedal travel may not feel as firm as you expected. After the second cycle, the pedal will become noticeably firmer. If necessary, bleed the brakes to improve pedal firmness.
Hey guys,

I've had this issue forever. The shop that worked on my car said they tried EVERYTHING (and this was an AMG-certified mechanic). It's the most annoying thing pulling up in a $100K+ car and the brake squealing like a pig. I took matters into my own hands as I always have to do as the mechanics never try everything and really don't care and like to tell you that this is just the way it is ("normal"). I've attached a quick deck with instructions and pictures on how to fix this. I have a 2012 CLS 63 AMG with the red caliper brake systems (not the carbon ceramics). These instructions are specific to my car but I'm sure can be utilized for any Benz. I only did the front brakes and that seemed to quiet them down. Pretty much you just have to lubricate all parts that have metal on metal contact. I used the Permatex Ceramic Extreme brake lubricant. You want to lubricate the caliper pins, the metal caliper bracket, the backs of the brake pads and the area of the caliper where the pads insert (metal to metal contact). Be careful NOT TO GET lubricant on the rotors or brake pad material. If you do, use a degreaser to clean it up. Assemble everything back and you should be good to go. I have completely eliminated that annoying squeal. If you bed your brakes in per the above instructions and also lubricate the parts, you should eliminate the squeal entirely.

I'll be glad to answer any questions here or PM me. I thought I would share with all of you as I had a very hard time finding a thorough answer or fix.

Hope this helps at least one frustrated Benz owner.

Christian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CLS63_Brake_Squeal_Fix.pdf (399.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Agree - that Permatex Ceramic paste is great stuff (purple). Only thing I would note is not to use too much as it attracts everything rocks, dirt, clag, grit etc. Don't forget to clean everything really well first with BrakeKleen. I use it on all metal-to-metal as above and also coat between the back of the brake pads and Ti shims I use, as well as the caliper piston surfaces where they meet the shims.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
2012 C63, GL63, 1989 300CE
Originally Posted by rwhisp
Thanks for those who responded. Just so I understand, this is not a pad\breaks problem per say, i.e. it is a combination of both, car and breaks, right? in other words, would it help to replace the breaks? If I understand from the comments, this is not simply fixed by replacing the breaks. Also, is this happening on all C63s AMGs? I love the car so do I have to live with this flaw if I am planning to keep it or is there a permanent fix somewhere? For a price closer to six digits, I would expect "German" engineering must have had thought about this and have a fix for it somewhere but it seems this is a long known issue that MB is not bothered to fix. Also, anyone tried to return the car to the dealer since this flaw was not disclosed before the sale? Sorry if I sound frustrated, which obviously I am, but this is very disappointing and took away the happiness of buying this car in the first place and the long time it took waiting to be delivered ..
It's just the nature of high performance brakes. It's not a flaw. I know first hand that cleaning the brake rotors with brake cleaner and then isopropyl alcohol have "fixed" the squeal for me, albeit temporarily, as I know that they will not be used to their full extent under daily driving conditions which is what I do. I love the brake squeal because it indicates an awesome big brake system. I see mustangs with their small brakes that sound silent and don't envy it at all.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM

AMG C63
Same here

2017 AMG C63. Brakes have squeaked slowing from 45 to 10, started at 300 miles and has continued through 5000 miles, been tot the dealer 4 times. No luck
Old 07-02-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
‘04 996 C4S, ‘18 GLC, ‘19 Alltrack
I have Giro disc brakes and start getting squeal after 30 mins of driving in town. I never hammer the brakes so I’m wondering if I need to heat them up every so often.

They’ve got 28k mi on them but the mech says the pads are good.

TC
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 PM

mercedes glc
It is now 2019... I just bought a Mercedes GLC and believed their reputation for quality and performance. Honestly, it is a load of crap. My brakes are so loud that it makes driving it awful. My car is a used 2016 with only 12000 kms on it. Despite this I have been told this is a performance feature. Lol so if I let out a loud fart as a female in a mall is that a performance feature as well. Give me a break. That type of squealing driving in the city is making me nuts.

Sorry, Mercedes, you can do better than that. Luckily for me, the dealer said that they would let me buy a new break and only charge me 15% above cost. Plus of course, their labor costs. I can't imagine paying the money for the AMG model and having to go through this. I do believe that I will put a sign on my car that says "Hear the squeal, Mercedes says its a performance feature".

On top of this, I got the MB app for the navigation. It doesn't connect whatsoever. To this, the dealer said they are sorry it's just something that happens sometimes. You will all love this. They said at least most of it works?? Really, I bought this car because I am ridiculous when it comes to directions. So much better now to have me driving around looking at my phone while I drive. Great feature. At least everybody can hear me coming as I drive down the road.

Well, Mercedes, I thought you were pretty cool for a bit. Now I think I will recommend to anyone that would listen that this car is not worth the money.

Last edited by Squealing girl; 01-18-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
Well there is already a long thread in the GLC about the brakes, which appears to have been resolved with new (but old existing technology) pad weights. You can also lubricate appropriate surfaces with brake paste from Brembo, CRC, Permatex, Bosch, Textar, TRW, etc...