C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If intake manifold gasket is causing CEL, will it be random or is it Middle East fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 Sedan
If intake manifold gasket is causing CEL, will it be random or is it Middle East fuel

Here's the situation.

I brought my c63 (US spec) from the States to Dubai, UAE. In the states, CEL came on, took it to a dealer in Baltimore, his tech checked it out and said it needed to have the intake manifold gaskets changed (fairly common problem as he'd seen). However, car was owned by my friend then and he took it back to DC and the dealer in Arlington said his tech checked gaskets and they were fine.

Then this dealer pulled SDS code 0745 (bank 1 lean), pressurized the manifold and saw that intake boot after air flow sensors was leaking and proceeded to "R&R air cleaner to replace intake air boot to manifold"

Now I've had the car in Dubai for a few months and here's what happens. The CEL comes and goes intermittently - sometimes it will stay on for a full tank of gas, other times, it may come and go once or twice in the course of a tank of gas. A local tuning shop here (Digitec) tells me that he's seen this in US spec cars and its most likely the local fuel here causing it. He says he'll get into my ECU, find the sensor thats causing the CEL, and basically recode it or change its tolerance so that it doesn't come on...I'm not buying this 100% and want to make sure its not something in the intake.

Performance is totally fine, no hesitation or stumbling at idle or under throttle, and fuel economy hasn't changed either...Would even a small intake gasket leak affect any of these?

Opinions welcome - thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Its a fairly common problem (like the purge valve issue), the bolts get a little loose after a while and they just need re-tightening.
When putting in my phenolic intake spacers I noticed how light weight the OEM bolts were (made from aluminum) so I changed mine out to stainless steel.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c350 arctic White pano. MM HK
Hi how are you
I have c350 US ****. i know it is not the same car but i have the same problem + bad small and knoking when the rpm 5k and over and i use 95 octane from total i live in jordan ?? I take my car to the delar and thay told me it is the problem of all mercedes in jordan
Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Pure BS my friend. I have an SL63 that is a USspec and I brought it with me to Qatar. I even had a C63 USspec that was brought to qatar as well. The intake gaskets, MAF sensors, are exactley the same. The only diffrence is that the US spec airbox is more resrtrective and has some charcoal filters in it. I'm pretty sure the guy that told you this BS is giving you the run around. Send me a PVT message if you are in Dubai and I will hook you up with some guys in UAE that will solve your problem
Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
i know it is not the same car but i have the same problem

Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 AM

2008 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Its a fairly common problem (like the purge valve issue), the bolts get a little loose after a while and they just need re-tightening.
When putting in my phenolic intake spacers I noticed how light weight the OEM bolts were (made from aluminum) so I changed mine out to stainless steel.
I saw your post from when you put the Evosport intake spacers in - do you have any more detailed pics of how to get everything off and get to the gasket - I'm thinking of opening it up this weekend and at least tightening everything. Let me know if you have any more pics or you can email me at ishah1@gmail.com...thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
Find my post elsewhere here on two CELs' The first sounds a lot like your problem finally solved by replacement of left bank air valve. Took 2 weeks at MB shop @ 9K miles.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
So Imran,

Any updates on your status?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 AM

2008 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by jacob502
So Imran,

Any updates on your status?
Funny you mention - I just took the car to Nasir Al Shamsi this past weekend...still not sure what's up.

The CE light was on the day before for 3/4 of a tank, and on the way to him, I filled it up and it went off - and surprisingly has been off so far for the past few days (> 1/2 of a tank used up).

He plugged in the SDS and pulled two stored codes as follows:

0745 - self adaptation of mixture formation for enrichment at idle for the right cylinder bank is above the permissible limit (P2187)

2091 - The mixture in the right cylinder bank is too lean when idling.

He then proceeded to go into a "values" tab and mentioned that the values, however, were within the stated range on the display.

He then also put an emission or some other kind of tube in the exhaust and we went out and punched it and he said it was running lean.

His final recommendation was to change out the air boxes as well as the air flow sensors to the gulf spec ones (not sure if there is any difference)...he said this MAY fix the CE issue but wasn't sure...so I'm still not 100% sold...

I'm thinking I'm gonna order the intake manifold gaskets and new screws, and change that out first as its a relatively inexpensive path and it seems that has caused CE lights for several members.

Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Replace the purge valve, if that doesn't do it, replace IM gasket and bolts.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by imran
I saw your post from when you put the Evosport intake spacers in - do you have any more detailed pics of how to get everything off and get to the gasket - I'm thinking of opening it up this weekend and at least tightening everything. Let me know if you have any more pics or you can email me at ishah1@gmail.com...thanks
My tech did all the work so unfortunately I don't have any DIY instructions.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 AM

2008 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Merc63
Replace the purge valve, if that doesn't do it, replace IM gasket and bolts.
Purge valve was replaced under warranty at around 31k miles - car now has ~ 50k miles on it.

So I guess its the IM gaskets / bolts next
Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63S E.1
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Is it an easy job to replace the gasket? I just bought mine from Evosport, and I'm thinking to go for MHP 180 thermostat and install them in one shot. Do you think changing the bolts would be a bonus?

BTW , how much the instillation cost you?