C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be steered away from the C63 due to this forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
THat WAS wild. Not really indicitave of this forum when there is a real discussion happening. be here, be sincere, and ask for help or advice and you'll get it.

Like a freakin' BMW forum in here all of a sudden.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by jfabes
the issue with the tires and brakes isn't the cost or anything, it's the hassle of having to buy them, then have them swapped out, then worrying about some ahole scratching the rims when changing them, and taking off work to do it, etc, etc. its just an inconvenience, that's all.
I can relate to this but more towards your questions about real world mpg. I personally can care less if a car I drive gets 5mpg or 50mpg. I do though dislike the inconvenience of dealing with the gas station trips but I think just taking an EPA mixed driving fuel economy average on any car and looking at it's tank size will always inform me of what to expect. I know I am in the minority on that with most car enthusiast groups but I do not care either.

I am a little surprised though every time I see the mpg topic brought up that seems most do not know it. But for many years now I have been tracking all of my fillups and trips for tax write off purposes. So a side effect of that tracking is I know what my real world average fuel economy is on any car I routinely drive.

I care about what long term reliability and maintenance/repair costs are but honestly don't think your original post touched the questions for those all that well. Seems like you'd want to know what do the A and B services tend to cost, routine items(brakes, ???) if outside those, idea to how well front tires last(since rears are dependent on your right foot), and of course common failures/repairs.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by cptdaz
True true. BTW nice 2012 coupe,
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jeffield
Yes I am one of those forum *******s

You are all tough on the outside but a big teddy bear on the inside. We all know it Jeffield.

Originally Posted by 604 C63
Like a freakin' BMW forum in here all of a sudden.
+1

Last edited by gthal; 01-11-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by JeffDL
given your list this is not the car.
I agree with this post.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63C
Wow some of you people are very cynical.
I know exactly how OP feels When asking these questions.
I myself had to wait about two months to get my car from Germany and while i was waiting,
I had so many detailed questions and concerns like OP's about the car that you cannot observe from test driving the car once.

OP - I just got this car and i can tell you honestly, this car consumes lots of gas.
I find my seats very comfortable and it is a great DD as opposed to my previous Cayman S.
If you can afford the gas and the maintainance cost on tires and etc, just go get one and you wont be disappointed.
If maintainance cost is really a concern, i would go for an M3 as it is an equally awesome car.
Good luck and i hope to see you post back here as a proud owner!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
The problem is his questions dont have real answers. All of them depend on how he or any of us drive it which is different. He can ask for opinions and the truth is some of us have our biased opinions and are comical with them. If he can't take the humour then like he said what's the fun? I like the care free attitude this car carries, and is one of the main reasons I bought it. I don't care about speeding or being reckless (gas milage, or brake dust)... its just lots of fun to drive. Yes this car is so special to me but I don't treat it that way. I bought it because its a ruthless beast, and can handle the thrashing I give it. To the OP if inconvenience from a car is the issue I have no answer for you.... anything can happen at any time. Its life. Maybe my tires go quick... but maybe if I bought an M3 the paint chips easier. Like you said to you its just a car so why fret about the small stuff... buy a car you enjoy if you are an enthusiast, or buy a car that satisfies you if you're not.

ps.
1. 13.5 L/100km combined
2. 7000kms
3. I have black winter rims, don’t notice it. With the gunmetal it still wasn’t very noticeable
4. I haven’t had my car very long but I do use leather conditioner and they still look brand new.
5. I find it very comfortable. Some roads its stiff but it never really bumps around on the road.

Last edited by VaclavSV; 01-11-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Even Money
Maybe you should ride the bus.

LOL this was great I just actually LOL'd wooo.

How can you let a forum make up your mind to get a car or not?? Go see and drive the damn thing and make your own decision!!

If you wanna go fast its going to cost $$$$$$$$$$$$. No way around it. Buy an economy car if you are worried about tires, brakes, long term reliability, etc. This is not the car for you if you are worried about that crap.

Benz is not cheap, AMG even worse.

BUT if you read on here, there are ways around the costly dealership fixes and stupid expensive tires. Buy cheap tires, your not racing around the track on the street why the F would you use a 200 treadwear tire that cost 500 bucks duh!! Don't replace your brake rotors when only 1mm has worn down out of the allowed 3mm like the dealer will suggest... 600$ oil changes so they can check every little piece of the car at $140/hr F THAT!!

Last edited by Merc63; 01-11-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
i've been looking at c63's for a while as a daily driver, about 15k/yr. over the past week or so, i've been swayed away from this car due to this forum, the issues with this car and especially the "things i hate about my c63" thread. so, i'd like some good honest input about this cars reliabilty and maintainability and not simply "the torque and hp outweigh all its annoyances " threads. I see these threads where there are 10 cons and 3 pros and the guy says "the pros outweigh the cons". really?!? i assume the weighted average for those cons is pretty low...

I don't care about things like "cheap interior materials", "door lock pins annoying" "more amg badging on the interior". what i care about are these 5 things:
1) combined city/highway mileage - what are you getting? i'm in stop-n-go every day. my 20 mile communte takes 50 minutes. my gti rated at 22/30 mpg is getting 25 consitently. what can i expect form a c63?

2) rear tire wear - do they really only last 8-10k miles w/o driving hard? i have conti dw's on my gti with 10k and still have more than 60% tread left.

3) brake life/excessive dust - will pads last 20k miles? the gti is on 55k with original pads, zero dust ever. the c230 i used to have would have black wheels in a week and pads/rotors needed changed every 15k-20k miles.

4) drivers seat bolster wear - every car i have looked at, even with 15k miles has had signs of wear. is it impossible for them to not wear?

5) daily comfort - i read the seats are not good for long commutes and the suspension is uncomfortable. i've driven maybe 6 cars and no issue with a test drive, but what about after 45 minutes?

Any help and honest feedback is appreciated. I have a deal pending and at this point, leaning towards passing. TIA.
Honestly "these five things" could not be considered as attributes for the C63 and most buyers look at them as a sacrificial offering in exchange for great performance. Other MB's are far more comfortable and I believe would fit your profile of the ideal daily driver better than this particular car. Either way, good luck with your search.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Well... I owned a 07 GTI and a 07 GLI, the GLI was purchased new and I just traded for a C300. Trying to compare the C63 to the GTI will be difficult. I know exactly what each cars excells on what.

My GTI and GLI both had the DSG so they both got even better gas mileage than the 6 speed. The brakes on the GTI will last longer mainly due to how hard the brake pads are, they are basically bricks but they do the job.

Front tires on the GTI will last slightly longer than the rear tires on the Mercedes, I was getting 17000 miles out of my front tires on the VW while I did 15000 miles on the C63.

The seats on the C63 are just untouchables, don't even compare the seats of the GTI because they aren't even comparable, the GTI has good seats but the C63 probably has one of the best 5 better seats ever made for a daily driver car(in my opinion)...they are that good!!

The average C63 owner should get about 15mpg driving in city on C mode without going hard on the pedal, just remember one thing, you are getting 25MPG in city but you only have 200hp, the C63 gets 15 MPG city but has more than double the power... there is always a compromise.

I have done a few 1700 mile round trips on my C63 and it is very comfortable and quiet, nice fiorm suspension but not much road or engine noise..remember , the C63 has 7 speeds and can cruise at 75mph at 2000 mph.

What else do you wnat to know?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
AMG's Advertisement video for the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eOLq07VwSE

Does that look like a car that is aimed at people who care about tires and gas mileage lol.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s

I wonder what the end result will be of all of this?

To the OP. I wish you the best of luck in your choosing. If I was in your shoes I would keep your VW as a DD and buy the C63. Or if you can't afford to have all 3 then trade in your 04 M3.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 PM

'09 C63 AMG, '13 C350, '11 GLK350
The title of this thread is the reason the OP has been flamed. "Should I be steered away from the C63 due to this forum?" I would recommend maybe next time, take a slightly different approach to asking questions...

Edit: and to the OP. If you love this car enough. The pros should out weigh the cons. For me, if I could, I would have this thing in a heart beat. All it takes is a cold start for my heart to turn to mush. I love this car. Only thing I'd rather have is a CLS63 TT. But then again. Slightly different price.

Last edited by ///AMG 6.3; 01-12-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 AM

'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
Not the car for you my friend................
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 AM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
Agree with ///AMG 6.3 above. OP's choice of words incited a fair number on this this Board. I would guess since he "cross-shopped" these "questions" or to be more correct baiting responses on other boards he was treated in a similar fashion there too. The expenses associated with this car are entertainment dollars as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
Simple..

1. If you are"big boned" or "extra skin on the bone", you would hate the seats.
2. On a good day you will average 13mpg (and that includes 50% highway)
3. You have yet to experience torque of this magnitude
4. Unless you buy the car for its "sophistication and status" (see point 3) you would find yourself driving the hell out of it without even trying
5. Excessive Tire Wear (see point 3)
6. Break Pad Wear (see point 3)
7. Seat Comfort (See point 1) comes in many many ways, not just seats. (you can always get fluffy seat covers )
8. See point 3!!.

i know, my numbers don't and up, blame point 3 on the way from work and Macallan 25 when i got home

Last edited by sighting; 01-12-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 AM

2006 Evolution IX
You're spending $50k+ and you're also concerned about normal expendable items like tires and brakes or a 480HP LUXURY SEDAN?

The car comes with a ****ing GAS GUZZLER TAX. You want to get 4-cylinder fuel economy on a car that is imposed with a GAS GUZZLER TAX?

OP can't be serious.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
i've been looking at c63's for a while as a daily driver, about 15k/yr. over the past week or so, i've been swayed away from this car due to this forum, the issues with this car and especially the "things i hate about my c63" thread. so, i'd like some good honest input about this cars reliabilty and maintainability and not simply "the torque and hp outweigh all its annoyances " threads. I see these threads where there are 10 cons and 3 pros and the guy says "the pros outweigh the cons". really?!? i assume the weighted average for those cons is pretty low...

I don't care about things like "cheap interior materials", "door lock pins annoying" "more amg badging on the interior". what i care about are these 5 things:

1) combined city/highway mileage - what are you getting? i'm in stop-n-go every day. my 20 mile communte takes 50 minutes. my gti rated at 22/30 mpg is getting 25 consitently. what can i expect form a c63?

2) rear tire wear - do they really only last 8-10k miles w/o driving hard? i have conti dw's on my gti with 10k and still have more than 60% tread left.

3) brake life/excessive dust - will pads last 20k miles? the gti is on 55k with original pads, zero dust ever. the c230 i used to have would have black wheels in a week and pads/rotors needed changed every 15k-20k miles.

4) drivers seat bolster wear - every car i have looked at, even with 15k miles has had signs of wear. is it impossible for them to not wear?

5) daily comfort - i read the seats are not good for long commutes and the suspension is uncomfortable. i've driven maybe 6 cars and no issue with a test drive, but what about after 45 minutes?

Any help and honest feedback is appreciated. I have a deal pending and at this point, leaning towards passing. TIA.
1. True, MPG sucks but so does driving a Smart Car everyday
2. True, even when babied you might get 10K out of the rears. Of course you could change to a more moderate performance oriented tire to get more life out of them.
3. True, Pad/rotors do not last very long on any AMG car. Brake dust is not excessive. Every BMW I had put out twice as much brake dust.
4. False, I've 14k on mine with no bolster wear. People just don't know how to get in and out of a performance driving seat. It's kinda like a slow motion Lambo Leap (Green Bay that is).
5. False, Front seat are extremely comfortable. Just adjust the air bolsters. I've driven mile over 600 miles in one day with only gas and potty breaks. Suspension is fine with 18" wheels. The 19" and P30 cars can be a bit jarring.

Hope that helps. The Caddy CTV-S is always an alternative.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Has anyone else noticed he hasn't posted anymore while the the rest of you are babbling? Successful troll is successful.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
OP.

Ultimately, the reason people are getting pissed at you is because they, like me, wouldn't let ANY of the things you listed... MPG, tire wear, seat wear and tear, brake dust, replacing tires and brakes, and daily comfort get in between THEM and the car that THEY WANT.

The day I let my lower back get in between ME and the car I WANT... you can take me out back and put me down with my blessings.

To us,

MPG - Fill up the tank once more a week. You're never making up for that gas guzzler tax twinkle toeing the gas pedal anyways... just step on it and feel the good vibrations. Also a good excuse to get junk food. Helps keep GF from starving you w/ her cooking.

Brake dust - Cleaning the car is a mini-getaway for most of us.

Daily comfort - Peace of mind driving the car I wanted.

Tires and Brakes - Gas, oil, filters, shocks, steering wheel, brain, hands, feet... what else do you need to run a car?

Oh, and this is coming from a non-amg vanilla C-class owner...

Don't forget that you're rewarding yourself. (Or someone else is rewarding you... A little jaw-dropping in this car segment, but unimportant nonetheless.)

Look for what you want, feel a bond with your car, have a little passion.
Not only will it make purchasing easier, it will make it easier to live with your purchase as the car wears and tears over time.

Also, just FYI, I think it's the fact that you seem to have no idea what YOU want for YOURSELF that makes people question who is buying this car for you.

Others may have said it more crudely but they mean the same thing.

Last edited by dcjwlee; 01-12-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by C63newdude
75mph at 2000 mph.

What else do you wnat to know?
I want to know what kind of mods you installed to get to 2000 mph... It is the simple typos that are funniest really
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Definitely skip the C63 based on your criteria.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM

C63
I'm not sure what's happening here, but this forum did not have a lot of (pardon my french) trashy people. And it's weird because it's the same people and for some reason seem proud about it.

If someone has concerns, address them. If you disagree, you don't have to be rude and impolite. Respect other people!

Sorry OP, that's not usually the behaviour of the general here. Those are minorities.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by someuser
I'm not sure what's happening here, but this forum did not have a lot of (pardon my french) trashy people. And it's weird because it's the same people and for some reason seem proud about it.

If someone has concerns, address them. If you disagree, you don't have to be rude and impolite. Respect other people!

Sorry OP, that's not usually the behaviour of the general here. Those are minorities.

Who are you to call anyone minorities. I have been on this forum since the car first came out and was one of the original members. I have been here far before you even got near your car.

Also don't tell me you're not pointing me out.

It's really simple for the OP to decide and if he is not intelligent enough to make a decision on a fking car then he should not purchase one its that simple.

Everyone has different thoughts about the car and it's for him to find out. If not he should go back to his GTI.

This guy has test driven it not once but many times and still have issues.

You got to pay to play it's that simple.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by someuser

Why do you care? Do I feel proud that I can tell the guy was a joke right from the start... sure. I respect lots of people, until I hear what they have to say. Just like your pathetic crying apology. (Who does that?) I think you are a minority for sticking up for the guy who hasn't posted in ****ing forever.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I be steered away from the C63 due to this forum?