Sponsored by:

Why you should NOT "Street Race"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Red face

That implies that fatal accidents never caused by someone going under the speed limits, which is incorrect. Speed limit isn't a magical number that save or kill depending on which side of that number you happen to fall into. By the act of driving your car, public road or private track, you are endangering your life and that of others to a degree.
I agree.

But what we are talking about is the statistical likelihoods.Your chance in causing a fatal incident is exponentially higher faster you go on a public road.
I disagree I don't think it just has to do with speed. Road conditions, weather, traffic, experience as a driver, intoxication, condition of car and the list goes on. This includes "how fast" I mean if you are going 130 in a honda civic vs a C63 do you think you are more at risk?

Plus you don't seriously believe the risk for driving 5 mph above speed limit is the same as speeding 100+ mph on public highways? Do you?
Of course not. I was being fecetious. I would be very interested to know how many owners TRULY track their cars. I not questioning any of the ones who have so proudly confirm that they do on this thread. Just wondering what the true % is. And for those that don't...why did you buy a C63? What was YOUR reason since you are not racing it on the track OR on the road? Why do you need 451hp, P30 option with LSD and track tuned suspension? Since none of us are "AMG badge ******" on here and we buy our cars for their merits and performance i'm just curious.

TO ALL:
I was shocked to see how twisted this thread got. As I've stated before, the point of the thread was to NOT STREET RACE and used a personal story that "hit home" as an example.

But I can't side with the people saying hurtful personal things about the CJ and his "poor judgement" to "street race". As others have stated, haven't we ALL made mistakes? I know I certainly have, some more severe than others, and I count my blessings to still be alive to talk about it. That said, I was appalled at some of the things being said back and forth between members that were directly insulting CJ.
It was an accident... and as a result of it, a dear life was lost. Some of us knew him, and some of us didn't... and the lesson to be learned is to try and use better judgement whenever you're faced with a choice of taking a chance and whether or not it's really worth it. Yes, in this case, it wasn't worth it.
But let's not get all technical and political about it, idc who you are, if someone you know passes away, it's a very SAD and SENSITIVE event no matter how it happened.
A lot of these posts were uncalled for and inappropriate IMO. I'm not defending or condoning his choices, but I AM defending his "right to being human" that made a mistake, and a costly one at that. No need for all this extra personal stuff in pointing fingers at him or him being a former police officer..
Again, my condolences to CJs family and friends... Let's keep this about "not street racing"
And if we're done with that, and we got the message. Let's close this discussion.
Thanks~
(In the future, i will definitely, think twice, and then 1 more time, before I post a thread, sorry if this thread caused people to get suspended? I didn't even know that could happen!)
Give it a rest. You posted it and want everyone to react the same? You must be an Obama supporter

This thread is getting ridiculous! I would bet my first born everyone of us has street raced, taken corners too fast, 0-60+ w/ burnout, driven a car at 100 MPH, and all on public roads. This guy was on of "US". Is street racing wrong and dangerous --of course! We all know that.
If you have never done ANY of the list above please add your name below & please feel free to judge others. This is not aimed at the OP, just the self-righteous posters
+1

Last edited by melmanc55; 02-08-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM

home the point
Originally Posted by jim07
This thread is getting ridiculous! I would bet my first born everyone of us has street raced, taken corners too fast, 0-60+ w/ burnout, driven a car at 100 MPH, and all on public roads. This guy was on of "US". Is street racing wrong and dangerous --of course! We all know that.
If you have never done ANY of the list above please add your name below & please feel free to judge others. This is not aimed at the OP, just the self-righteous posters.

Driving Saints list
This might be hard for you to grasp, but you =/= everyone. I have never street raced on public roads; that's what enclosed tracks are for.

Also, no one is judging the person, only his action because that's the only thing we know him by.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM

'12 C63 AMG,'11 Lexus RX450H,'10 VW Routan,'09 E92 ///M3 (Sold),'07 E85 Z4 ///M Roadster (Sold)
If you have never done ANY of the list above please add your name below & please feel free to judge others. This is not aimed at the OP, just the self-righteous posters.

Driving Saints list
+1
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM

home the point
Originally Posted by melmanc55
I disagree I don't think it just has to do with speed. Road conditions, weather, traffic, experience as a driver, intoxication, condition of car and the list goes on. This includes "how fast" I mean if you are going 130 in a honda civic vs a C63 do you think you are more at risk?
You've completely misinterpreted my post. I didn't say anything speed being the only factor contributing to a fatal accident. Again the statement is fatal crash is exponential more likely faster you go on public road. And this is supported by NHTSA researches http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/97.835.pdf. In fact, that study shows that speed makes the biggest difference in fatal accidents.

Of course not. I was being fecetious. I would be very interested to know how many owners TRULY track their cars. I not questioning any of the ones who have so proudly confirm that they do on this thread. Just wondering what the true % is. And for those that don't...why did you buy a C63? What was YOUR reason since you are not racing it? Why do you need 451hp, P30 option with LSD and track tuned suspension? Since none of us are "AMG badge ******" on here and we buy our cars for their merits and performance i'm just curious.
I brought it for a lot of reasons, but none involves in street racing or going above 100 mph on public roads.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM

C63 AMG
You've completely misinterpreted my post. I didn't say anything speed being the only factor contributing to a fatal accident. Again the statement is fatal crash is exponential more likely faster you go on public road. And this is supported by NHTSA researches http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/97.835.pdf. In fact, that study shows that speed makes the biggest difference in fatal accidents.

Ok from the quick read on this article head on collisions going over 55 (which is the fastest speed segment) are the most "at risk". I agree with that. My problem with this thread is the title of it combined with the article. It is done for effect. In turn when you get responses (however insensitive some of them are) people are "shocked". Hey you put it out there that way...be prepared. Like most have said on here I don't agree with some of the comments but it's the country we live in. Some people use this thread to be our mom and dad...which is a joke. No one knows what they have done only the "high road" they have taken here. Much like the person calling another "douche bag" without the benifit of the "in person" effect.

I brought it for a lot of reasons, but none involves in street racing or going above 100 mph on public roads.
Sure of course. I believe you. I ask the question to the majority of us out there that DO NOT track our cars.

Last edited by melmanc55; 02-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
I'm sorry for your loss my best friend was killed in a car accident a couple years back right after coming home from the war in Iraq...so trust me, even with all the people talking sh*t I know what kind of person he was and that's all that matters.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/01/...peed-nj-crash/

also, with the link you posted. Did you guys watch the video? near the end, the news reporter says Arki was the one they had arrested... =/ I had to re-watch the video 3 times to make sure I wasn't hearing things
Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM

home the point
Sure of course I believe you. So you track your car? If not why did you buy it instead of say a C350?
I plan to. I normally attend over 10 trackdays a year (mostly bikes though because tires are cheaper). Also look and sound, least of all, image.

Last edited by cptdaz; 02-08-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM

home the point
Sounds good. Good luck to you. Watch that last statement....it will get you flamed around here. They will call you a "fanboy" and tell you "you should have gotten a Mustang"
Why? It's the truth and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'd have gotten a Mustang but they don't make sedans.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM

C63 AMG
Why? It's the truth and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'd have gotten a Mustang but they don't make sedans.
Not saying you shouldn't admit it. Some on here can't understand why you wouldn't buy THEIR car over another. If you say you bought because you just wanted an AMG the will go on and on of how you are just a fan of the badge. It's like this thread. The OP is now sorry he got some people suspended and saddened by the way people are reacting to the death of a friend. It's all internet drama at the highest level! Welcome to the MB forums!

I plan to. I normally attend over 10 trackdays a year (mostly bikes though because tires are cheaper). Also look and sound, least of all, image.
That's great good luck to you.

Last edited by melmanc55; 02-08-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
Originally Posted by cptdaz
This might be hard for you to grasp, but you =/= everyone. I have never street raced on public roads; that's what enclosed tracks are for.

Also, no one is judging the person, only his action because that's the only thing we know him by.
So you have only done 4 out of the 5 irresponsible driving act on the list! Good for you! You almost made the list. Grasp that.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
RIP, sorry that happened to the guy.

It's rather nuts to see all of the debate on this issue and the insults on this thread. The guy made a bad choice, he paid the ultimate price. That's the end of the discussion for all except for the man's family & friends, their grieving is just beginning. I don't care for being an "armchair warrior" I am quite sure a lot of the negative comments would never be uttered to the family members or to others on this forum face to face.

BTW- Someone got put on probation over a comment? What rule of the TOU was violated? I cannot believe that some moron (yes I am saying it) brought up someone must an Obama supporter based on their opinion here. This is not a political thread, nor is this the topic for such.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM

C63 AMG
I cannot believe that some moron (yes I am saying it) brought up someone must an Obama supporter based on their opinion here. This is not a political thread, nor is this the topic for such.

It was meant as a joke.

Last edited by melmanc55; 02-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM

'12 C63 AMG,'11 Lexus RX450H,'10 VW Routan,'09 E92 ///M3 (Sold),'07 E85 Z4 ///M Roadster (Sold)
Originally Posted by bigben320e

It's rather nuts to see all of the debate on this issue and the insults on this thread. The guy made a bad choice, he paid the ultimate price. That's the end of the discussion for all except for the man's family & friends, their grieving is just beginning. I don't care for being an "armchair warrior" I am quite sure a lot of the negative comments would never be uttered to the family members or to others on this forum face to face.

BTW- Someone got put on probation over a comment? What rule of the TOU was violated? I cannot believe that some moron (yes I am saying it) brought up someone must an Obama supporter based on their opinion here. This is not a political thread, nor is this the topic for such.
+1 to that, especially on the Obama part (it was directed at me). I think he was being sarcastic, and I was going to say something back, but then I'd just be as guilty as he was even by replying, so I just brushed it off.
Apparently he has issues with Obama, why he brought it up on here is beyond my unerstanding
as someone once told me, "If it doesn't apply, let it FLY!"
and again, think twice before STREET RACING folks!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM

home the point
So you have only done 4 out of the 5 irresponsible driving act on the list! Good for you! You almost made the list. Grasp that.
Congrats on failing to read between the lines. Let me put it to you plainly, I've never acted irresponsibly on public roads in order to prove something to someone, period. As someone already stated, take it to the track.

Even if I had, what's your point? One person murders another with a gun; no one who owns guns can condemn the act? Furthermore yourself admit that it's wrong. You've passed judgement yourself. Again, what point are you trying to make?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM

C63 AMG
+1 to that, especially on the Obama part (it was directed at me). I think he was being sarcastic, and I was going to say something back, but then I'd just be as guilty as he was even by replying, so I just brushed it off.
Apparently he has issues with Obama, why he brought it up on here is beyond my unerstanding
as someone once told me, "If it doesn't apply, let it FLY!"
and again, think twice before STREET RACING folks!
To bad you didn't see the humor. You want everybody to react to your story the same way. It's not going to happen. To bad your friend died but that's the way it goes. Cut your pity party and move on. I think everyone gets your message. Don't street race.

Last edited by melmanc55; 02-08-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
To all of you saying he is human and all that think of this. If he hit a family or another innocent driver instead of a truck trailer and killed them you would all be against his actions. Probably label him an 'idiot' if not say much worse things. Because he is the one who died and didn't kill anyone else (Thank god) his actions can be justified. You guys are nuts! I didn't know, him, never have Im sure Rapists are good people at heart too. To be blunt he made the wrong choice and suffered the worst of the consequences. It happens. And were all sorry it happened. His actions were totally uncalled for though. Yes other people race and don't get the same consequence but they still had the same poor judgement. Being a car nut and ex police officer... we as society expect him to understand the dangers a little more. I think thats why you get harsh comments because at the end of the day he really should have known better. But it doesn't matter anymore because we can't tell him that. The OP's message was great though because Im sure many of us will think twice before flooring it on the street. And hopefully some can learn from the story. I know every time hear these stories I smarten up my driving just a little more.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
Congrats on failing to read between the lines. Let me put it to you plainly, I've never acted irresponsibly on public roads in order to prove something to someone, period. As someone already stated, take it to the track.

Even if I had, what's your point? One person murders another with a gun; no one who owns guns can condemn the act? Furthermore yourself admit that it's wrong. You've passed judgement yourself. Again, what point are you trying to make?
"Never acted irresponsibly on public roads"

Congratulations we have our first self proclaimed Driving Saint !

1. cptdaz

My point IS we are all guilty of driving irresponsibly at some time in our lives, racing, speeding, excessive acceleration, whatever (except you of course). So don't crucify this poor guy who died doing something we are all guilty of. Pretty simple. By the way the gun analogy is way off!!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 PM

home the point
Originally Posted by bigben320e

What insults and negative comment? There's one poster saying something about Darwinism in action. That's about the most offensive in this thread and frankly it's not even that bad. I personally found the implication that all of us is somehow like this guy more offensive. How about this driver?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bb9_1284800402
Is he "one of us" too?

Yes, obviously a lot of things said here would not be spoken to the family in real life, but you know what? This isn't the man's memorial page. Most of us here don't know him personally, only the fact that he died doing something selfish and stupid. I don't know why some of you expect the same restrain and discretion like we all at the guy's funeral service.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM

C63 AMG
What insults and negative comment? There's one poster saying something about Darwinism in action. That's about the most offensive in this thread and frankly it's not even that bad. I personally found the implication that all of us is somehow like this guy more offensive. How about this driver?
Is he "one of us" too?

Yes, obviously a lot of things said here would not be spoken to the family in real life, but you know what? This isn't the man's memorial page. Most of us here don't know him personally, only the fact that he died doing something selfish and stupid. I don't know why some of you expect the same restrain and discretion like we all at the guy's funeral service.
+1 Well said.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM

home the point

1. cptdaz

My point IS we are all guilty of driving irresponsibly at some time in our lives, racing, speeding, excessive acceleration, whatever (except you of course). So don't crucify this poor guy who died doing something we are all guilty of. Pretty simple. By the way the gun analogy is way off!!
There you go again, assuming that just because we all drive the same model car that we all drive it recklessly as you do. And instead of using this incident to discourage such dangerous behavior, you choose to excuse it because "hey it's okay because we all do it". I truly hope that next time you decided to test your luck you don't take someone else out with you.

gthal, I present to you the rationalizing and condoning I mentioned before.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Is he "one of us" too?

+1 Well said.
Both of you missed some things, on insults I am referring to a moderator being called an idiot. That was out of line, but he is entitled to his opinion. I don't disagree with you, the man did something foolish, I said that. He paid for it, and sure this could have been a horrific accident where others were injured or killed. The rest you are just restating what I said in a different way.

Racing is meant for the track, driving on the street, I think we all get that. On the discretion part, it pays to have a little in all situations, it shows some type of maturity. IMO.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VaclavSV
To all of you saying he is human and all that think of this. If he hit a family or another innocent driver instead of a truck trailer and killed them you would all be against his actions. Probably label him an 'idiot' if not say much worse things. Because he is the one who died and didn't kill anyone else (Thank god) his actions can be justified. You guys are nuts! I didn't know, him, never have Im sure Rapists are good people at heart too. To be blunt he made the wrong choice and suffered the worst of the consequences. It happens. And were all sorry it happened. His actions were totally uncalled for though. Yes other people race and don't get the same consequence but they still had the same poor judgement. Being a car nut and ex police officer... we as society expect him to understand the dangers a little more. I think thats why you get harsh comments because at the end of the day he really should have known better. But it doesn't matter anymore because we can't tell him that. The OP's message was great though because Im sure many of us will think twice before flooring it on the street. And hopefully some can learn from the story. I know every time hear these stories I smarten up my driving just a little more.
+1. Well put. Accountability and responsibility.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM

To bad you didn't see the humor. You want everybody to react to your story the same way. It's not going to happen. To bad your friend died but that's the way it goes. Cut your pity party and move on. I think everyone gets your message. Don't street race.
Lol, I said "I think he was being sarcastic", so I did see it.
About my friend, you're right, that's the way it does go, that's life.
I'm glad you got the message, and the last thing I was expecting was everyone or anyone to react in any specific way. However, I was a little shocked to see the responses. Is it wrong for me to state that on the "forum"? The last time I checked, a forum is where people gather and speak about certain topics, no?

Dude, the last thing I want is any bad blood btwn any member, but your responses to the issue at hand are a bit cold IMO, but I guess this is what you're referring to when you say I should expect to get different responses?
In this case, yours? That's totally fine.
I think I remember you replying to another member about his run in with a C4S and you gave him some insight about a race you had with your brother? Now imagine something terrible went wrong unexpectedly to one of you. It wouldn't be cool to hear others talking smack about it, would it? That's all I'm saying to you, Mel. Is to have a little compassion?
All in all, I didn't intend to start a "pity party", nor do want to beef with someone on a forum, that's just ridiculous. So I will end by saying, I don't even know you, nor do you know me, but we all share something in common on this forum, we love talking about our cars, so I'll just stick to that in the future, and hopefully we can all get along. No malice...and happy riding
#C63sALL DAY. PeAce~

Last edited by ctown113; 02-08-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Not worth getting booted off, just joined this forum, I'll show respect to the veterans on here..
Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG

1. cptdaz

In my book, this is a typical playing with words without literally making an insult

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why you should NOT "Street Race"