need help or suggestion with dash cam install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
need help or suggestion with dash cam install

i'll be getting a blackvue dr400g soon and i did a little research and was wondering if the install below is possible

i found this image while i was searching around for info... it seemed like a pretty good idea...

anyone familiar with the wiring in the c63 to give me some advice?
Attached Thumbnails need help or suggestion with dash cam install-dash-camjpeg.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
i've decided to switch to something else... so is there a continuous power source that can easily be tapped into?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bluejae
i've decided to switch to something else... so is there a continuous power source that can easily be tapped into?
What's the something else? I'm thinking of the BX1500 also but will have a car audio shop do a professional installation if I go for it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
What's the something else? I'm thinking of the BX1500 also but will have a car audio shop do a professional installation if I go for it.
finevu cr300hd

although i'll be missing the gps feature, i don't think i'll miss it that much...

i like the 360 swivel of the camera without having to detach the camera or mount... maybe catch some scenic views in mexico

and the built in low voltage detection that shuts off the camera if it's going to drain the battery... the blackvue has it but you have to buy it separately...

and it has parking mode
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK, future C63 owner
Tap it to cigarette lighter power output. That way the camera will be "on" when the car is started and should be "off" when the car is turned off. Or find an interior fuse box and use a "tap-a-fuse" thing to tap into existing fuse output (get a digital/analog multimeter and test which ones are powered when the car is "on"). B.t.w, Blackvue DRG400 cams are pretty good - the build quality is good, the software (for watching recordings) is very easy to use, and you can update camera's firmware yourself very easily by getting it from Pittasoft's website...
Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by Car drvr
Tap it to cigarette lighter power output. That way the camera will be "on" when the car is started and should be "off" when the car is turned off. Or find an interior fuse box and use a "tap-a-fuse" thing to tap into existing fuse output (get a digital/analog multimeter and test which ones are powered when the car is "on"). B.t.w, Blackvue DRG400 cams are pretty good - the build quality is good, the software (for watching recordings) is very easy to use, and you can update camera's firmware yourself very easily by getting it from Pittasoft's website...
you would need a power source that stays on when the car is off to benefit from the blackvue and the finevu's parking mode. it won't work if you connect it to the cig power...

i've read a good amount of stuff on the blackvue and i think it's a good camera as well, but i think the finevu will work great for me
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM

GLK, future C63 owner
you would need a power source that stays on when the car is off to benefit from the blackvue and the finevu's parking mode. it won't work if you connect it to the cig power...

i've read a good amount of stuff on the blackvue and i think it's a good camera as well, but i think the finevu will work great for me
Ah, so you want to make a camera stay all the time for motion detection feature? Well, then find a fuse that stays "powered" all the time even when the car is "off" and tap into it with "add-a-fuse" adapter. Personally I wouldn't use that mode since the camera only looks at one direction (it can't auto-rotate like a motorized surveillance cameras) and all these cheap cameras (regardless of the brand) have a pretty low nighttime video quality... Not to mention that if someone wants to intentionally damage your car they can simply wear some kind of mask and throw-away clothes, making all cameras absolutely useless
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Ah, so you want to make a camera stay all the time for motion detection feature? Well, then find a fuse that stays "powered" all the time even when the car is "off" and tap into it with "add-a-fuse" adapter. Personally I wouldn't use that mode since the camera only looks at one direction (it can't auto-rotate like a motorized surveillance cameras) and all these cheap cameras (regardless of the brand) have a pretty low nighttime video quality... Not to mention that if someone wants to intentionally damage your car they can simply wear some kind of mask and throw-away clothes, making all cameras absolutely useless
right, so my question was if anyone knows which one is on all the time...

these types of cameras have a pretty wide view angle so although it's not a full 360 view all the time, it's still a good camera to catch a possible hit and run...

i don't feel i have enemies who will go through the trouble of putting on a whole outfit to vandalize my car... but to be able to use that feature of the camera would be nice...

but yes, in your specific case of people wearing masks, different clothes, and staying away from the front view of my car the entire time, then it's useless... although my cruise control is useless about 98% of the time, doesn't mean it's not nice to have for those certain occasions
Old 04-05-2012, 05:46 PM

GLK, future C63 owner
right, so my question was if anyone knows which one is on all the time...
Just test it. Get a multimeter, connect it to some fuse (for example, if there's one related to car's alarm system), lock the car, walk away, check back in an hour or so, see if the multimeter still showing necessary voltage on its display (if the multimeter can stay powered for that long without auto shutdown). Or use the camera itself for same purpose (especially if camera has some kind of light indicator which can be enabled to stay "on" during "parking mode" recording). Very simple.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Just test it. Get a multimeter, connect it to some fuse (for example, if there's one related to car's alarm system), lock the car, walk away, check back in an hour or so, see if the multimeter still showing necessary voltage on its display (if the multimeter can stay powered for that long without auto shutdown). Or use the camera itself for same purpose (especially if camera has some kind of light indicator which can be enabled to stay "on" during "parking mode" recording). Very simple.
thanks for the suggestion. i'll venture in that direction if i'm not able to find the answer from somewhere/someone online...