Removing Wheels on my 2012 C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
If you're in a pinch, how would you get the lugs off? I've found the MB supplied wrench basically useless, as WagsC63 pointed out. I would prefer not to have to carry a breaker bar in the trunk.
I carry an extendable Gorilla wrench in my trunk. I have zero trust in anything OEM supplied to change a flat. I bet 99% of MB owners just call roadside anyhow - and MB knows it.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by justthebest
The TPMS units are located inside the tires (it's an extension of the valve stem that nests just inside the rim), so no need to worry about that. On my old ('10) C63, the only issue I kind of worried about was bonking the calipers as I moved wheels on & off.
Originally Posted by Pickles
Thank you all for your replies, particularly "Justthebest" as I didn't know where the sensors are, & didn't want to "disturb", or damage them.
So, you've all found the factory jack to be OK?
Cheers, Pickles.
Australian spec cars don’t have TPMS in the tyres.

The change in tyre pressure in Australian spec cars and I think for Euro spec as well is monitored by the ABS system for memory.

The setup for this system is in the dash cluster menu and has to be done every time a wheel is removed.

I’ve done mine a few times.

Last edited by sjhugh; 05-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
If I was paying somebody to do maintenance on my vehicle (wheel instalation) then I want them to do it by the book (torque values), wheel over torque could result with cracks around the bolt hole or thread damage.
And not to mention warped rotor with excessive torque.

Originally Posted by bhamg
My dealer in SoCal cracked (and replaced) the side skirts because there was insufficient clearance for the slightly lower P30 suspension on some of their lifts. They were alway embarrassed when I would show up for a service app't with four of Fred's jack pads. I always carry one in the car for a tire changing emergency.
Do you carry another jack in your car? If yes, what kind of jack is it?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by otakki
Do you carry another jack in your car? If yes, what kind of jack is it?
Not in this car. I used to carry a scissors jack in another spare-less car for trips but never had to use it. Now each car get a large can of Slime Spair (their spelling) which is a sealant and inflator in one large can as well as a backup Slime Flat Tire Repair Kit, which consists of a compressor and non-pressurized bottle of Slime. My M's came with the BMW Mobility kit (compressor and sealant) but I prefer the Slime approach and pack those products instead.

http://www.slime.com/shop/category/p.../smart-spairs/
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Not in this car. I used to carry a scissors jack in another spare-less car for trips but never had to use it. Now each car get a large can of Slime Spair (their spelling) which is a sealant and inflator in one large can as well as a backup Slime Flat Tire Repair Kit, which consists of a compressor and non-pressurized bottle of Slime. My M's came with the BMW Mobility kit (compressor and sealant) but I prefer the Slime approach and pack those products instead.

http://www.slime.com/shop/category/p.../smart-spairs/
Assuming you've used this before with success?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PatSC23
Assuming you've used this before with success?
I've never had to in my cars but I've used Slime on two friends' cars...worked like a charm. I do lots of distance night highway driving and my #1 priority when experiencing a tire issue would be to get off the side of the road and going again as quickly as possible. Who wants to be futzing with a mechanical jack in the dark while cars are flying by at 80+ mph? I am convinced that Slime's sealant technology is second to none and in lieu of carrying a spare my primary/backup strategy will cover anything short of a catastrophic tire failure.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Mort...another question.
I've also looked at the jack pads you mentioned, from the same supplier. So these sit on top of my trolley jack & enable me to lift via the factory jack points, because this device slots into the factory jack location? Is that correct? For your C63 did you order part no, "W204Plus"?
Thanks again, Pickles.
Get a proper low profile floor jack. Trolley jacks are usually cheaply built and the jack pad ends up sitting on top of the trolley jack pad. A proper low profile jack lets the jack pad sit in the saddle reducing any chance of slippage. Get the W204Plus jack pad. The additional height spacer can be removed if you don't need it.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by callmiro
Just wondering why you would need this? The wheels are hub centric and sit on the hub and can be rotated on the hub to get the desired lug location
I like the stud tool a lot. After fighting with getting a lug bolt stared for years I found this tool a delight to use. True the wheels are hub centric or forget getting them started from floor wheel mount at all. You fight to get the wheel on the hub and it is not lined up with the bolt hole so you try to rotate it and on the front the rotor just turns with the wheel so you get nowhere. Then you have to wiggle and jiggle it around until it lines up. This presents very little problem when working on a car on a hoist but when working on a car on jack stands on the floor it gets very frustrating. It is almost impossible to see the bolt holes and hold the wheel in position at the same time when working on your knees on the floor. This little and inexpensive tool really facilitates the job of mounting wheels on a MB.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mort...another question.
I've also looked at the jack pads you mentioned, from the same supplier. So these sit on top of my trolley jack & enable me to lift via the factory jack points, because this device slots into the factory jack location? Is that correct? For your C63 did you order part no, "W204Plus"?
Thanks again, Pickles.
I have One - W204JPT Jack Pad Tool for W204,W207,W212 (the W204Plus is not required to clear the side skirt)
and
Two JSA_M Jack Stand Adapter for MB (Come in pairs)

Because I work from the floor I need the Jack Pad Tool to get the lift started and then switch to the Jack Stand Adapters for use with the jack stands I use. If you use a hoist then you might want four Jack Pad Tools. The Jack Pad Tool fits in the jack point fitting on the car and is held in place with pins built into it. You then jack on the Jack Pad Tool.

I like the look of them.
Did you order the ones shown on the list.."W204 C Class 2008=Present M14X1.5?...ie are they the right ones for the C63
I reckon the S/S items would be worth the extra would they not?
Cheers, Pickles.
I have the M14x1.5-SS Stainless Steel Lug BOLT Guide Tool and these are correct for the C63.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
[QUOTE=Mort;5195729]I have One - W204JPT Jack Pad Tool for W204,W207,W212 (the W204Plus is not required to clear the side skirt)
and
Two JSA_M Jack Stand Adapter for MB (Come in pairs)

Because I work from the floor I need the Jack Pad Tool to get the lift started and then switch to the Jack Stand Adapters for use with the jack stands I use. If you use a hoist then you might want four Jack Pad Tools. The Jack Pad Tool fits in the jack point fitting on the car and is held in place with pins built into it. You then jack on the Jack Pad Tool.

So after you jack it up using one of the four corner jack points using the jack pad, where do you place the jack stands? This is my first Merc and I don't want to take any chances!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My car is lowered so I jack it from a jack point only high enough to get a 2 1/2" piece of wood under the front tire. Then I let it down and jack it up from the centre jack point under the engine frame in the centre of the front of the car. When it is lifted I put stands under the front jack points. The I move to the rear and jack the car up from under the rear differential. When it is lifted I put stands under the rear jack points. Then I usually raise the front a little higher and raise the front stands level with the rear stands.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I've never had to in my cars but I've used Slime on two friends' cars...worked like a charm. I do lots of distance night highway driving and my #1 priority when experiencing a tire issue would be to get off the side of the road and going again as quickly as possible. Who wants to be futzing with a mechanical jack in the dark while cars are flying by at 80+ mph? I am convinced that Slime's sealant technology is second to none and in lieu of carrying a spare my primary/backup strategy will cover anything short of a catastrophic tire failure.
Since this thread was resurrected here's a photo of what I cary in each trunk. I feel confident I could plug a nail puncture, Slime and refill a tire inside of ten minutes...a fix I would have no problem driving long distances on.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Wheels on my 2012 C63?-slime-kit.jpg