C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 C63 Coupe Edition 1 - Track Day - Is the engine overheating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by mfjp
I think I know why they bring in 10 C63 to the track every time for people to test drive and limit testing to 2 laps. These things just can take 2 laps (one warm up + one cool down) and they are done.
Unfortunately, this applies to MOST high hp / heavy cars. That's a lot of energy that needs to get dissipated and the product is a lot of heat.

The GT Porsches are the only fast cars that come to mind that will survive continual track abuse bone stock. That is why they are such "great track cars." Not because they are the fastest thing out there (they're not), but because they can keep going, and going, and going...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Serge944
Unfortunately, this applies to MOST high hp / heavy cars. That's a lot of energy that needs to get dissipated and the product is a lot of heat.

The GT Porsches are the only fast cars that come to mind that will survive continual track abuse bone stock. That is why they are such "great track cars." Not because they are the fastest thing out there (they're not), but because they can keep going, and going, and going...
Yes. I understand it's not made for the job, but 2 laps seems to be just too little. I would be more happy if it would do 4 laps before safe mode kicks in. The dealer is also now saying the issue is with the MCT overheating, not the engine.

Porsche GT2 are great. They can go continuously. The 458 can take on 10 laps too before the brakes gets too hot. R8s are fine (R8 LMS are superb).
Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
200 degree oil and 280 water is an impossible scenario. Either the displays are wrong or you read them backwards. I have never seen my water temp budge from 200 even in the harshest sessions. Oil temp is definitely an issue, I had a few times where it went to 280 and the computer stepped in. With the vented hood and DTM bumper I rarely see 270 even in the Florida summer. Keith has the manifold spacers and he runs nearly 10 degrees cooler than I do. Tire overheating occurs before I get the motor too hot regardless.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
Spent the day at the track today. First time with the C63, stock tires and brakes. Our track is relatively short with 11 turns and short straightaways front and back. Air temp was 27C and sunny.

I first drove the car in S+. The S+ program kept the revs very high and the transmission spent most of its time in 2nd and 3rd.

After 20 minutes or so the oil temp touched a bit over 140C and the car started limiting RPM. I immediately switched to C for half a lap and cooled down a bit to about 130C and the car worked again.

On subsequent sessions I used M mode and made sure to short shift so most of the lap was in 3rd and 4th, 2nd only briefly in one turn. Thus always keeping the oil temp below 135C.

Speeds were equivalent.

My guess is that having the car work close to red line for extended periods overheats the oil. As a workaround, keeping the revs down a bit by selecting a higher gear did not impeded performance as there is plenty of torque available.

Lesson learned.

The stock brakes were fine as were the OEM Continentals on my first outing.

I have a new spare set of Mich PSS on OEM rims for future track days and I will most likely go with a set of Carbotech XP10 for pads and better brake fluid.

The car worked great and the key to watch is managing the oil temperature by cooling down for half a lap every so often and reducing RPM by short shifting here and there.

I miss the heads up display of my now sold C6 Corvette, it was easy to keep an eye on temperature without focusing on the dash.

BTW, my son`s C5 Z06 also suffers from high oil temps and needs a cool down lap every so often.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
That is one thing I noticed when the weather temp is on the high side. The cooling fan was in full blast and very loud when using the M mode.

One important thing I noticed during the AMG Driving Academy in Lime Rock, all the C63 were parked on the tracked with an external blower at full blast. After each session, we were directed to stop the C63 besides the blower. The other AMG's were parked without those blowers.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Well I guess I am not going to upgrade to a C63. My C55 does not have any problems after a 20 min session with over heating, it does have a fuel problem, I get 5 mpg's haha. Sounds like a cheap solution is to use thermal wrap on the exhaust manifolds to keep the engine bay cooler. I cheap oil cooler fix could be made with a milidon cooler.

I also wonder if the stock tune has the car running lean at WOT for emissions? A richer tune might bring down temps.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by kent426
Well I guess I am not going to upgrade to a C63. My C55 does not have any problems after a 20 min session with over heating, it does have a fuel problem, I get 5 mpg's haha. Sounds like a cheap solution is to use thermal wrap on the exhaust manifolds to keep the engine bay cooler. I cheap oil cooler fix could be made with a milidon cooler.

I also wonder if the stock tune has the car running lean at WOT for emissions? A richer tune might bring down temps.
I wouldn't necessarily...C55s are baddasss....
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by Choy
That is one thing I noticed when the weather temp is on the high side. The cooling fan was in full blast and very loud when using the M mode.
I've noticed this too. It's extremely loud..I usually hear it kick in when the oil temp is around 230-240F. That's usually 5 mins in M mode during rush hour!

Last edited by bmoney12; 05-23-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 PM

2012 c63 sedan
How does a stock c63 make a hot lap around the nurburgring without going into limp mode, if we can not do more than 2 or 3 laps?

Any upgrades that we can do that will keep our warranty? Seems like vented hood and dtm bumper helps w/o affected warranty...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 PM

2010 C63
I have not had any problems with limp mode on my car, even with very hot oil temps (275-285F) - the only issue I have is the power steering fluid overflowing the reservoir a bit and some cavitation in the pump.

I flushed and changed the transmission fluid at about 6,000 miles (just before my first track day) and run the heater wide open when on track. The people I have noticed with this issue tend to have their A/C on (I assume they are also listening to LRB on the radio).

I also have not had any serious brake issues (some minor fading) - I use OEM pads/rotors, with teflon/SS lines and ATE Super Blue fluid. I also have some slotted Evosport rotors (not cross-drilled) in the garage that I will install when I am back in the US.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe Edition 1
Guys, I apologize. I gave you the wrong info:

Oil Temp that was reaching 280F and not the water temp.

Took her in 2 days ago to the dealer and I was told that this is an issue with these cars and pretty much "it is what it is". I told them that is extremely dissapointing since I was sold on the "AMG experience" and that should not happen to an AMG engine shortly after you drive it the way MB advertises it is built for.

I understand these cars are not the "extreme tracking mobiles" but you should be at least able to run those engines reasonably hard without having to end the fun in less than 5 minutes.

I am not sure if I can do anything else about it...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Larger oil cooler?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 AM

07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
Additional oil coolers in series should help. Either oil to air or oil to water. Alternately, look into retrofitting a BS oil cooling system.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 AM

2012 C63 Coupe
I will be getting Vath's engine and transmission coolers in the next day or two. i will write up a review for you guys and let you know if it helps with this issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Advertising a car doing a hot lap at the Ring does not make it a track car. Porsche knows this, hence the GT2 and GT3RS series. Starting with massively more cooling capacity than the other Porsches. (The part list difference between a regular turbo and a GT2 takes up several pages.) MBZ does the same type of upgrades to the Black Series to make it track ready. The track capabilities cost $$$ and most buyer won't pay for it since most of them will never see a track. The C63 is perfectly capable as an autobahn cruiser. I just finished a long run across the desert in 104 temp going up some long grades pushing 125-145mph for the better part of an hour....no overheating issues.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 AM

280F oil temp alone is not so bad, so if the computer didn't shut the car down it would probably be able to run a few more laps, assuming oil temps stabilized below 300F.
If a cooler could just keep you below 280 you should be good.
Oil cooling is an easy problem to solve for the $40K price savings from a BS.

Last edited by lunarx; 06-07-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I had the same issues with my 2008 C63 on track days, the tranny making itself go into the S mode rather than letting me keep it in manual, the oil temp also was shooting over 124C. But it wasnt all that bad as I just let the car(computer) guide me around in S which was very good. There is one thing though, I know most of the AMG 6.2 come with Mobil 1 oil 0/40W, what if you try a little thicker oil such as a 5/40W, maybe the 0/40W is to thin of an oil for tracking??
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 PM

2012 C63 PP, 2012 X3
Just ran a track day at Mosport. 22c outside mostly - no overheating. Car did hit 135c on one run and switched to S+ mode. I did feel the ECU pulling timing a few times.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
There is a great explanation on the AMG Private Lounge by a MB official as to why this is happening. Bottom line is it has to do with ESP and the interaction with the MCT transmission slipping the clutch to avoid wheel spin. His recommendation is run in sport mode or with ESP off. He also stated that pro drivers have not had this issue because they run the car more smoothly with ESP on (thereby avoiding the clutch slip) or are skilled enough to run with ESP off. In a nutshell, most of us suck and engage ESP intervention too much and it overheats the tranny.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'16 A45 AMG
My C is doing the same after 2 rounds in the "green hell".
Switched automatically from M in C :-P
Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe 2012
Engine overheated

This problem is well known by Mercedes in Germany. The Mercedes garage in Flensburg (Germany) is at the moment adding an extra oilcooler on the car, a 2012 coupe with performance package. The milage is 5.000km. Mercedes informed me that it would take AMG minimum 2 weeks to manufacture the new modified oilcooler. I think this problem is for the 2012 model. I had earlier a four door salon a 2011 model and I had no problem with overheating. A strongly recomend you guys who have problem with overheating to go to a Mercedes garage.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by Thomas Flensbur
This problem is well known by Mercedes in Germany. The Mercedes garage in Flensburg (Germany) is at the moment adding an extra oilcooler on the car, a 2012 coupe with performance package. The milage is 5.000km. Mercedes informed me that it would take AMG minimum 2 weeks to manufacture the new modified oilcooler. I think this problem is for the 2012 model. I had earlier a four door salon a 2011 model and I had no problem with overheating. A strongly recomend you guys who have problem with overheating to go to a Mercedes garage.
Thanks for your input! So AMG is going to replace your oil cooler for a large one? Did you say your car has the performance package?

I picked up my car a few days ago and, after a long conversation with the service advisor, he advised me to voice my opinion to AMG so they can make note of the many people who are having problems with their cars. He advised me to call and write a letter to AMG.

Did any of you write or call AMG? Should we try to reach out to them?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by raffvieira
Thanks for your input! So AMG is going to replace your oil cooler for a large one? Did you say your car has the performance package?

I picked up my car a few days ago and, after a long conversation with the service advisor, he advised me to voice my opinion to AMG so they can make note of the many people who are having problems with their cars. He advised me to call and write a letter to AMG.

Did any of you write or call AMG? Should we try to reach out to them?
Definitely write them and let them know that if you pay for an AMG, you want a car that performs.
If we don't speak up they will get soft again.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by Thomas Flensbur

So AMG is actually going to make a new oil cooler just for your car?? Is this a second cooler or a replacement of original? Where are they going to put it? This is fascinating. Could you keep us updated on this.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe 2012
Engine overheated

Originally Posted by Case1906
So AMG is actually going to make a new oil cooler just for your car?? Is this a second cooler or a replacement of original? Where are they going to put it? This is fascinating. Could you keep us updated on this.
I found out that oil temperature reached 140c when i visited Nurburgring/Nordschleife and than the engine goes into restricted performance.
I could not even drive 1 lap before this happend.

I went home to Flensburg and wrote following mail to AMG:

Hello AMG

RE. C63 AMG 2012 COUPE

Do you have any idea why the oil tempreture of the engine is reaching
140c ?

The engine than goes into restricted performance.

I found out this problem when I drive on the Nordschleife

I bought the the car approx. 3 weeks ago from Mercedes Klaus K. in
Flensburg and the milage is 4.000 km.

I had not this problem with my earlier car, a 2011 C63 AMG saloon car, it
workt perfectly.

Awaiting your reply....

With best regards

AMG answered 2 days later as follows:

Hello,

please got to you Mercedes - Garage. We need a short test from your car via TIPS Case, then can we check this problem.

Thanks and best regards,

Frank Lang

After Sales AMG-Technik
Mercedes-AMG GmbH
W601 - QP/QA
Daimlerstr. 1
71563 Affalterbach/ Germany

I made a copy of the e-mail from AMG and went to my local Mercedes garage/dealer in Flensburg and explained the problem. They sad something is defenetly is wrong with the car. You can leave the car today and we will look into the problem. 3 days later the garage called me and said the have spoken with AMG and a additional oilcooler was going to be added. It would take AMG 2 weeks to deliver the new oilcooler. I don't know if AMG were out of stock or if they had to manufacture a modified new oilcooler. A good thing though is that the the garage gave me a C63 from the showroom as a replacement car (free of charge) until my car is repared,

A short video of my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 C63 Coupe Edition 1 - Track Day - Is the engine overheating?