C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 C63 Coupe Edition 1 - Track Day - Is the engine overheating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe Edition 1
DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EMAIL OR PHONE NUMBER OF ANYONE AT AMG IN THE USA WHO I COULD SEND AND EMAIL TO? THANKS!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 PP, 2012 X3
Ditto for Canada. While I had no issues with overheating, I ran the car in sport, did not redline all the time (except for back straight on Mosport) and did not get much wheelspin so ESP did not engage more than a few times. I did hit 135 one run and it went to S+.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe Edition 1
Surprised to hear about some many similar situations. Spoke with another owner from a 2012 C63 Coupe from Connecticut, US and the exact same thing happening.

Anyone out there with an AMG contact for us to reach out to??
Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
I had the same thing happen on Friday. I was at Thunder Hill in northern CA and it went into limp mode. I had it in S+ but didn't realize ESP was still fully on. The air temp was 103 so it never really cooled down between sessions so turning ESP off later didn't help. I'm going to mail the sales manager at my dealer tomorrow and point out stock M3s lapped all day with no problems. I'll post about the issue on the AMG Private Lounge and MB Advisors.

The Endless MX72s brake pads I had on front and rear were awesome though!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe 2012
Engine overheated

Originally Posted by CaliSun
I had the same thing happen on Friday. I was at Thunder Hill in northern CA and it went into limp mode. I had it in S+ but didn't realize ESP was still fully on. The air temp was 103 so it never really cooled down between sessions so turning ESP off later didn't help. I'm going to mail the sales manager at my dealer tomorrow and point out stock M3s lapped all day with no problems. I'll post about the issue on the AMG Private Lounge and MB Advisors.

The Endless MX72s brake pads I had on front and rear were awesome though!
I came home from Nurburgring today with the replacement car I got from the Mercedes garage (2012 model 4 doors) and the oil temprerature reached 135c. Then the engine went into restricted performance. I could not even drive 1 lap. The same problem as my 2012 coupe which is at the Mercedes garage waiting for a new oil cooler. I think there is a problem with all 2012 models.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
One issue with leaving the ESP on in a 2012 is that the ESP disengages and reengages the clutch of the MCT when it is activated. I think running with ESP off will reduce you chances if overheating.

I haven't taken my car on a track yet but will do very soon and I am closely monitoring these topics. It seems like dads figured out that the solution would be to get the oil/tranny cooler from the BS
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by raffvieira
DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EMAIL OR PHONE NUMBER OF ANYONE AT AMG IN THE USA WHO I COULD SEND AND EMAIL TO? THANKS!
This is the only contact address on the US AMG website.
Mercedes-Benz USA,LLC
Customer Assistance Center
3 Mercedes Drv
Montvale, NJ 07645
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
I ran 6 sessions at Summit Point this weekend with 80 degree F temperatures. Had the problem in only in part of one session this time out. I generally managed by doing three things:

1. Run a higher gear to lower the revs as much as possible. Summit is a 3rd and 4th gear track for me. I shifted to 5th on straights and as much as possible without losing momentum. On out laps or yellow's get the car in highest gear it will shift into

2. Avoid engine braking like the plague, down shift after the car is slowed with the brakes. (A shame because it sounds so good...)

3. Stay in clean air when behind another car (before you pass them of course)

Damn shame to have to worry about this, but I thought of it as a challenge to stay quick while managing the overheating issue.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by Case1906
I ran 6 sessions at Summit Point this weekend with 80 degree F temperatures. Had the problem in only in part of one session this time out. I generally managed by doing three things:

1. Run a higher gear to lower the revs as much as possible. Summit is a 3rd and 4th gear track for me. I shifted to 5th on straights and as much as possible without losing momentum. On out laps or yellow's get the car in highest gear it will shift into

2. Avoid engine braking like the plague, down shift after the car is slowed with the brakes. (A shame because it sounds so good...)

3. Stay in clean air when behind another car (before you pass them of course)

Damn shame to have to worry about this, but I thought of it as a challenge to stay quick while managing the overheating issue.
Thanks for the update on your track day. It sounds like you had the transmission in M, was the traction control on, sport, or off?

Last edited by CaliSun; 06-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by CaliSun
Thanks for the update on your track day. It sounds like you had the transmission in M, was the traction controll on, sport, or off?
I ran M and Sport TC this past weekend.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
I would try with TC completely off, see if that helps.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 AM

2012 C63 PP, 2012 X3
Originally Posted by b16
I would try with TC completely off, see if that helps.
Right. However, doesn't that defeat the purpose of STC and the discussion we are having? While I am comfortable turning TC off on a flat course with easy run offs I am not doing it on a fast, scary track like Mosport with the skinny rears and the amount of torque this thing has unless I have a hell of a lot more skill and seat time in the car.

The heat and skinny rears cripple this car (even though I did not have too many issues with limp, I did get bumped to S+ once - however it was Mosport and I could cool the car on the back straight).

I've run multiple tracks in my M3 and Z4MC with no heat issues. M3's brake fluid boiled over once, replaced with Motul and it was good.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by Thomas Flensbur
I came home from Nurburgring today with the replacement car I got from the Mercedes garage (2012 model 4 doors) and the oil temprerature reached 135c. Then the engine went into restricted performance. I could not even drive 1 lap. The same problem as my 2012 coupe which is at the Mercedes garage waiting for a new oil cooler. I think there is a problem with all 2012 models.

So if i cut my cats off and this happens to me and i take it to the dealer. will they say its my fault cuz i delete reson. and cats???
Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
I saw a test online of the '12 CLS63 AMG and the driver commented that after not even one lap, high oil temp put the car into "limp home mode." mega fail, but I guess in the interest of protecting your investment, the computer is making the right call.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:03 PM

The problem with overheating is solved by AMG/Mercedes

Originally Posted by Case1906
So AMG is actually going to make a new oil cooler just for your car?? Is this a second cooler or a replacement of original? Where are they going to put it? This is fascinating. Could you keep us updated on this.
After 5 weeks I finally got my car back from the AMG/Mercedes garage. I hade a 1 hour meeting with the service manager and the workshop manager, what they hade done to solve the problem with high oil temperature.

FOLLOWING PARTS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED

- 2 oil coolers with higher capacity
- A fan with higher capacity
- They have drilled several holes behind the bumper in order to make the airflow more effeciant to the engine.

I have tested the car this afternoon on autobahn at max speed 285. Tried also low gear max RPM and the oil temprature was max 120. Anyhow I,m not 100% sure that the problem are over until I make a final test at the Nurburgring this weekend.

AMG/Mercedes admit that it is a design error of the front of the 2012 models. This problem has nothing to do if you drive with traction control on/off or driving in M or S+ mode. The AMG C63 is built for the track and should without any problems perform as a supercar it is.
If you have the same problem, go to your Mercedes dealer ask them to do a test via TIPS Case
Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
AMG/Mercedes admit that it is a design error of the front of the 2012 models. This problem has nothing to do if you drive with traction control on/off or driving in M or S+ mode. The AMG C63 is built for the track and should without any problems perform as a supercar it is.
If you have the same problem, go to your Mercedes dealer ask them to do a test via TIPS Case
This is not what was confirmed by an AMG engineer on the Private Lounge... well, that or it is a different problem. The issue many are having is with the transmission itself overheating not the car itself overheating. Oil coolers would have no impact on this. I guess there are two issues and you have one of the two corrected on your car.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by gthal
This is not what was confirmed by an AMG engineer on the Private Lounge... well, that or it is a different problem. The issue many are having is with the transmission itself overheating not the car itself overheating. Oil coolers would have no impact on this. I guess there are two issues and you have one of the two corrected on your car.
Ok, you are right. I wasn't aware of the transmission problem
Old 07-04-2012, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Ok, you are right. I wasn't aware of the transmission problem
It's too bad MB has both these issues with the C63. It really limits its potential.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM

GL450 dodge ram srt 10
There was a guy on here who changed the tran and oil cooler to the BS won he said it was larger cooler. Then he went to the track and ran all day with out a problem
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Engine overheated

It's too bad MB has both these issues with the C63. It really limits its potential.
The mercedes workshop in Flensburg have changed the oilcoolers, drilled holes in the frontbumpers and installed a fan with bigger capacity.

After that I have tested my car on the Nurburgring and it,s still get overheated. AMG have decided to collect the car in Flensburg and take it by truck to their factory in Affalterbach and look into the overheating problem. I have no problem with the transmission.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
The mercedes workshop in Flensburg have changed the oilcoolers, drilled holes in the frontbumpers and installed a fan with bigger capacity.

After that I have tested my car on the Nurburgring and it,s still get overheated. AMG have decided to collect the car in Flensburg and take it by truck to their factory in Affalterbach and look into the overheating problem. I have no problem with the transmission.
Any update with the overheating problem? I'm looking to buy a MY 13' and would be disappointed if this happen at a DE.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Any update with the overheating problem? I'm looking to buy a MY 13' and would be disappointed if this happen at a DE.

Thanks
My bet is this isn't corrected for '13. Not enough people track their C63s regularly to get MB to correct this mid cycle... just my opinion. Just track on cool days
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
I have done 2 track days. One is a short coarse the other a long coarse. Both were stinking hot days. Max oil temp was 124c and water was 94c. How ever my car normal runs at 92-94c water temp for day to day driving.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
My bet is this isn't corrected for '13. Not enough people track their C63s regularly to get MB to correct this mid cycle... just my opinion. Just track on cool days
Well if MB/AMG USA is not going to address the overheating problem I guess I'll pass on the MY13' C63. That sucks too, because I think it would be a fun daily driver. But for a car to overheat at a DE in less that 2 laps that's inexcusable.

-Troy
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
AMG has turned into a status name or fashion statement and no longer a race tuner. Seems like the bean counters call the shots in today's market. Don't get me wrong, I love the AMG brand and history, but it seems for somthing like this to slip by is a notch down for the history of AMG.

The thing that realy made me question the brand was my 09' C63. I ordered it with the PP. as you remember it came with two piece rotor / hat and if I recall drilled and or slotted. When I took delivery I was shocked to see the one of the rotors was on "backwards". AMG used the same directional rotor on both the left and right side. Only one part number. How cheap is that? That's somthing you would see on a Kia or Yugo. Spend good money for a brake "upgrade" and get somthing that is for fashion not function. I would exspexct more from a 70k+ performance car. Hey AMG the exaust sound is great but I want more go, not show. . If I just wanted a loud exhaust I'll get a glass pack, thanks.

Ok rant over. Lol

I hope things get better for the brand and owners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 C63 Coupe Edition 1 - Track Day - Is the engine overheating?