C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 C63 Coupe Edition 1 - Track Day - Is the engine overheating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
April 22nd will be my first track day with the local BMW club, driving the C63. I will be running in run group 1, so most cars will be properly setup and the pace will be brisk.

the only thing i have done is flush the brakes with motul 600 — stock pads, tires and alignment.

i am excited!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
AMG posted on the Private Lounge that there was an ECU update that raises the major assembly protection threshold (limp mode). The techs said an update was applied in December when I got mine serviced but I haven't tested it yet.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 PM

2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
i had the update applied as part of my first service. we will see what happens
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG
Cool

I have been reading about these problems and being a registered competitor in this year's One Lap of America... I did not want to be beaten by my car versus another competitor.

I have given the front end of this car a great amount of time to reach the verdict that adding a larger oil cooler simply will not solve the problem as I see it. The Behr cooler has such a high density of fins that air simply isgoing through the front grill, bouncing/rolling off the cooler and being sucked UP into the engine's air intakes located directly above the trans cooler. Even with our carbon vented hood, it simply was not enough to create a pressure drop to help pull air through the radiator when pushing the limits of this car on consecutive laps, it would still get hot.

I have made a new closeout panel and will be testing it further at NOLA Motorsports Park on the 19th for definitive results versus my non-official testing on my favorite stretch of roads. Simply this part creates a sealed barrier which reduces the heat of the air flowing into the engine air intakes and increases the pressure of the airflow ahead of the cooler to force more airflow through it.

Here is the link to our Facebook Page where all the photos of this install are listed. LIKE the page and stay in tuned in to how we do during the OLOA!

Click here to see all the photos.

ALSO... has anyone switched the oil they are using? When I raced a Viper with these elevated Oil Temp issues, we solved the problem by switching to Royal Purple and saw an immediate 20+ degree drop in oil temps while also seeing a gain on the dyno.