Installing springs, DIY.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Installing springs, DIY.

Anyone installed springs before? What tools do I need? Is there a DIY?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
There is a DIY in the W204 Forum. GL with the install.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-springs.html
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Be safe with that spring compressor!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Hello everyone - reviving an old thread here, but I'm thinking about DIY-ing the H&R springs installation. I've been reading up on this as much as I can for several weeks and still unsure. Also, I've seen every possible DIY walkthrough on here and other forums, but noticed none really specific to the W204 C63, and was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers.

1. First, are the spring compressor tools (photo attached) that you can rent at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts even capable of compressing the OEM springs on the C63? The more I read up on this, the more I'm thinking this may not work. Putting safety risks aside for a second, I've read some posts saying that even the OEM springs on the previous W203 generation were too tight to compress with rental tools. If anything, I'm guessing the C63 OEM springs would be even harder to compress if not more? Can anyone confirm/debunk this?

2. Assuming I can get past the above issue, do I need any special tools to get the upper strut nut? I noticed for the W203, people were using a special tool/socket (photo attached) with two tabs to remove this nut. I wonder if I'd need that for the W204? The other socket I see is one without tabs (photo attached). Also, what size do we need for the W204? I've seen some people say 21mm and some saying 22mm?

I'm still 50/50 as to whether I'll try this DIY or just leave it to a shop. The trustworthy shops around here want a lot of $$$ for this work and are hard for me to get to from where I am and my current work situation. The sub-par shops will do it for cheaper but give me less peace of mind - making me think I might be better off tackling it myself (assuming I get past the above issues).

Definitely appreciate this forum and any advise!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 C63 P31
I used that exact spring compressor. It will do the job just be sure to ensure it stays on, I used an air impact to run the bolts down, these are the tools I used also;
T40, E12, E16, and E18
Metric sockets and wrenches were 18mm, and 21mm

Take your time and be careful. Took me about 5 hours to complete all four springs.
No lift just jack and stands.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
You'll have a better time if you use this type of compressor.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:10 PM

2010 C63
Hey thanks so much guys for your help

Quartz - thanks for confirming for me that it's possible to DIY the H&R install on a C63..surprisingly, I don't remember ever seeing a C63 owner directly confirming a DIY on this. Did you ever have any second thoughts doing the springs instead of a coilover set after the fact? And, I guess you didn't need a special sockets for the strut nut since you used an impact gun to remove them. But, were you able to reuse the strut nut or did you use a new one?

Jason - thanks for the suggestion. I saw these and wondered if the dual clamp version would be safer since it grabs from both sides of the spring. But, then like Quartz said, I've heard they can slide off so... I'll definitely try the ones you showed instead.

Now I just need some info on the strut nut tools..or just invest in an air gun..
Old 09-14-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Just did mine a couple weeks ago. Definitely doable, but the DIYs on here kinda suck honestly.The only special tools I needed were the spring compressors (borrowed from Autozone, exactly like the ones you posted) and E-sockets, Harbor Freight has them.

The fronts are pretty straightforward, but the rears I decided to go a different route. Instead of messing with moving the exhaust or cutting/replacing the weird 12pt bolt on the inside end of the rear control arm,, I just unbolted the rear brake calipers to get them out of the way, then unbolted the three bolts on the outside end of the control arm (shock, sway bar, and hub). I found this method easier overall. Obviously support the arm with a jack as the spring is still under tension. Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Just remove the inbound LCA bolt.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
(and the exhaust)
Old 09-14-2015, 04:51 PM

2010 C63
Thanks again guys. And great photo...this was really helpful for me to visualize everything.

DiscoBandit - did you use an air gun or impact wrench to get the strut nut off for the fronts too? If not, did the nut come right off without the need for those special sockets I posted?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DiscoBandit
(and the exhaust)
You wouldn't need to, there's enough flex once you remove the hanger. It's completely removed in that pic because I was doing the LSD swap as well.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 C63 P31
If you are going to track it then go Coilovers instead. the only thing I used the impact on was the spring compressor. All the rest came apart easy.
I did not have to remove my exhaust either just removed the inboard bolt and pushed it to the side some then the bolt came right out.

Just take be careful with the spring compressor I could see that going bad if you dont pay attention to the spring while compressing it, but I did not have any issues.

Originally Posted by hyunman
Hey thanks so much guys for your help

Quartz - thanks for confirming for me that it's possible to DIY the H&R install on a C63..surprisingly, I don't remember ever seeing a C63 owner directly confirming a DIY on this. Did you ever have any second thoughts doing the springs instead of a coilover set after the fact? And, I guess you didn't need a special sockets for the strut nut since you used an impact gun to remove them. But, were you able to reuse the strut nut or did you use a new one?

Jason - thanks for the suggestion. I saw these and wondered if the dual clamp version would be safer since it grabs from both sides of the spring. But, then like Quartz said, I've heard they can slide off so... I'll definitely try the ones you showed instead.

Now I just need some info on the strut nut tools..or just invest in an air gun..
Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM

2010 C63
Okay, so I confirmed that strut nut was a 21mm nut. But I just realized that the strut rod (the part the strut nut screws onto) has a torx key? (photo borrowed from a DIY thread below) I initially thought this was an allen key - so I've been looking for 21mm sockets that would allow me to get one of my L-shaped allen wrenches in there to keep the strut from spinning with the strut nut. Now I'm more confused. Is there some easy way to get the this strut nut off without using an impact/air wrench that I'm completely missing here?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Why wouldn't you just use an impact? A couple of zaps shouldn't hurt. ^
Old 11-20-2015, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
BOSTITCH BTMT72287 Pass Through Socket Set, 65-Piece - Adjustable Wrenches - Amazon.com BOSTITCH BTMT72287 Pass Through Socket Set, 65-Piece - Adjustable Wrenches - Amazon.com

something like this could work.

They sell a similar kit to this at lowes/home depot.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:40 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Why wouldn't you just use an impact? A couple of zaps shouldn't hurt. ^
Agree taking it off with an impact would be easy, but thought I read somewhere stories of stripping the thread upon reinstall using an impact. Was primarily looking for a way to hand tighten the strut nut when reassembling.

Either way, I wimped out in the end and got the springs installed and an alignment done by a reputable shop here (Anthony at A&L) all for about $380 altogether - couldn't beat the price.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by hyunman
Agree taking it off with an impact would be easy, but thought I read somewhere stories of stripping the thread upon reinstall using an impact. Was primarily looking for a way to hand tighten the strut nut when reassembling.

Either way, I wimped out in the end and got the springs installed and an alignment done by a reputable shop here (Anthony at A&L) all for about $380 altogether - couldn't beat the price.
Yes, removal with an impact is a no brainer. However, you'd never want to start a nut with an impact. For that, you'd use a regular wrench or ratchet and use the impact for the final couple of zaps to snug it up. By starting the nut with an impact, you'd very well be asking for trouble.