My 7th AMG and the Best One Yet: C63 Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
SLS
Originally Posted by LangeOne
Vic,

Thanks for the GT-R comparison. I agree with your assessment about the BS versus other AMG's. In my limited experience, the only other AMG that approaches (and in some respects exceeds) the subjective driving feeling of the Black is the SLS.

Enjoy the car (maybe for more than a year?)

BTW, get used to the attention you will get just going to the supermarket.
+1

Thanks, indeed, for the writeup. And agreed on sound.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
WOW, big congrats Vic!!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
very nice!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
This car is a keeper for at least a year LOL... probably more.

And I dont even mind its slower than the GTR and 997.2 TT either... that says a lot about the car.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 Black Series
actually surprised to hear that in a straight line it is slower than the 997tt... I would have thought similar in a straight line...
Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Congratulations and it does look spectacular in your photos! Thanks for all your detailed descriptions they really make me understand this beast even better....short of driving it of course. :-)
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 E63 matte white
How is ride compare to CLS63....is it harsh? How does it shift in manual compare to your M157? I never manual shift as the lag really bothers me. I am also contemplating a BS
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by Vic55
This car is a keeper for at least a year LOL... probably more.
Ping me once you are tired of it ......
Old 07-21-2012, 03:46 AM
Banned

AMGs
Very nice Vic. Congrats bro.

Get the P47SC. Here's a pic on my Pcar.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jtrichel
actually surprised to hear that in a straight line it is slower than the 997tt... I would have thought similar in a straight line...
I have a 997.2 TT with PDK, EvomsIT tune and exhaust... my P car is faster than a stock 997.2TT-S which does zero to 60 in high 2's and 0-100 in lower 6's... If this was the car you were comparing it to in your quote.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:02 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
I have a 997.2 TT with PDK, EvomsIT tune and exhaust... my P car is faster than a stock 997.2TT-S which does zero to 60 in high 2's and 0-100 in lower 6's... If this was the car you were comparing it to in your quote.
Was thinking about a bone stock 997tt. Thought I had read some 1/4 mile and trap speed info in reviews that led me to believe the BS was on equal footing. I have never driven a C63 BS. I have driven a 997tt stock, and it made my eyeballs come out of their sockets...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Minor Update- car is amazing. (update done LOL)

For you CBS owners, thoughts here:

1. Tune- I know some tuners have things in the works but Im wondering what the gains would be and would I lose the quite incredible throttle response that this car has from the factory. Ive never had such good response from a benz in my life and it comes quite close to an S65 or S85 BMW engine throttle

2. Lowering- anyone drop their car? I lowered mine about a 1/4 via the adjustements on the rear perches and front coils. The alignment went out of course and I got a freebie from the dealer (12 months 12k miles rule).

3. Post Cat Removal - thinking of mirroring Mavericks process. I just hope no power loss or again, throttle response change. I hear the already amazing barks and burbles are enhanced with this mod.

4. Wheels - If I change them I have offsets from HRE already but they think I should do 20's. I dont think I want to run 20's on this true sports car. 19's seem more functional. 19x9.5 and 19x11 (265x35 and 295x30) will keep the stock diameters within reason. They might be a little tall but that would ok since the gap would be closed by about 2/10ths of an inch. Im thinking P44SC's.

Any other mods you guys have thought of?

I could essentially leave this car be and just enjoy it until I dump it but that would not be very much like me.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Vic...are you tracking the car at all? Just thinking of the aero package but that may be too much for day to day driving...

I have the Aeromotions S2 wing and front splitter for the GTR but those only go on when I go to the track...

Jon

PS I'm having fun looking for parts for the 997tt cab...I thought GTR tax was bad...Porsche tax is ridiculous...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:50 PM

AMG
Headers/Mids are coming for me. I'll probably do a custom dyno tune as I don't want to loose the upshift barks ! I think its computer controlled so I'll be carefull about that.

As for your wheels , I think the stock are just perfect. But definitely don't go 20' ! You'll probably never enjoy the car anymore after that.

Last edited by Kaiba; 08-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AMGfan
Vic...are you tracking the car at all? Just thinking of the aero package but that may be too much for day to day driving...

I have the Aeromotions S2 wing and front splitter for the GTR but those only go on when I go to the track...

Jon

PS I'm having fun looking for parts for the 997tt cab...I thought GTR tax was bad...Porsche tax is ridiculous...
LOL P car tax is the pinnacle of the german market... Ferrari tax is stupid.

I dont think I want the aero parts, I like the car understated and I have never been a huge fan of crazy wings unless its on a P car.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
LOL P car tax is the pinnacle of the german market... Ferrari tax is stupid.

I dont think I want the aero parts, I like the car understated and I have never been a huge fan of crazy wings unless its on a P car.
I hear you...I think I might sport the Yoshi Duckbill on the GT-R for awhile (vs. the Titek rear wing) just for that reason.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AMGfan
I hear you...I think I might sport the Yoshi Duckbill on the GT-R for awhile (vs. the Titek rear wing) just for that reason.
I was gonna run the Titek Wing---- I know Alex well over at SPP- but then I just stopped putting money into the GTR.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Thumbs up

1. Tune- I know some tuners have things in the works but Im wondering what the gains would be and would I lose the quite incredible throttle response that this car has from the factory. Ive never had such good response from a benz in my life and it comes quite close to an S65 or S85 BMW engine throttle

2. Lowering- anyone drop their car? I lowered mine about a 1/4 via the adjustements on the rear perches and front coils. The alignment went out of course and I got a freebie from the dealer (12 months 12k miles rule).

3. Post Cat Removal - thinking of mirroring Mavericks process. I just hope no power loss or again, throttle response change. I hear the already amazing barks and burbles are enhanced with this mod.

4. Wheels - If I change them I have offsets from HRE already but they think I should do 20's. I dont think I want to run 20's on this true sports car. 19's seem more functional. 19x9.5 and 19x11 (265x35 and 295x30) will keep the stock diameters within reason. They might be a little tall but that would ok since the gap would be closed by about 2/10ths of an inch. Im thinking P44SC's.

I could essentially leave this car be and just enjoy it until I dump it but that would not be very much like me.
I refer you to your last line....Leave it as it is?
I note your Garage contains a simply MAGNIFICENT "collection"...that most of us "mere mortals" could only dream about.
The C63BS is an absolute classic.....I've never driven one, but I've read reports from others who've owned several AMGs, incl prev B.S., that this car is absolutely perfect, and the best AMG they've ever driven.
So, as it's a CLASSIC, & as it is SO GOOD ex fctory, in its "standard" form, why don't you just drive it, and enjoy the VERY special thing that it is, for a while....and see how you go.
I mean, isn't that what's so special about the B.S.?....AMG have made this the "optimum" C63.....if it was possible to make it "better", wouldn't they have done that?
Like I said, I LOVE your garage.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM

2019 GLC63s

I actually just started a thread about mine; I'm having the headers/tune done as we speak, hoping it will be done in the next few days...the tune I'm getting is not supposed to compromise throttle response, but i guess ill see for sure once i get the car back later this week..

I considered lowering mine as well, but honestly it sits pretty low as is, and the roads around me are not really good enough for me to be able to lower the car and not worry about bottoming out or clipping the front lip on a jagged piece of road.

The wheels I'm definitely not doing; I went gloss black on the stock ones, and i plan on keeping it that way. Trying not to put too much $ into this car, as A. it doesnt need it and B. I have a little more money id like to put into my GT-R to make it a bit more of a track car. If i was to do wheels however, i would definitely do one of the HRE sets likeyou mentioned, and DEFINITELY stay with the 19's.

One other mod that i did was tires; I changed out the stock Conti's for some bridgestone potenza S-04 Pole Positions, and definitely noticed a difference in the grip...I originally wanted to put on Super Sports, but unfortunately we got a 295 for the rear and they looked slightly too big when we put them on the wheel, and Michelin doesn't make the 285 in the right profile, so we went with the Bridgestones instead; about $300 cheaper than the Super Sports and basically the next best option to them.

speaking of the GT-R, i did find interesting your comparison of your GT-R vs the CBS. I too have made that comparison for a few people who have asked me, and i must say that i agree with you pretty much completely on your thoughts of the two cars. The only thing i don't agree upon is the GT-R feeling big all the time...i will say that on shorter tracks, i do notice the weight of the GT-R through the turns(which is why id like to do some lightening mods this winter)...its been frustrating once or twice when ive ran with guys that have track modded E36's and even though ive got literally 600 more hp, im still having to make up time in the straights because they are just so light through the turns i lose time there... but for the most part the car really doesn't feel large to me, mainly i think because the grip is so good, and it transfers the weight so damn fast it's incredible.

Ultimately, im definitely looking forward to whatever you have planned, as we seem to have very similar minds(heavily modded M6, then heavily modded GT-R, now the CBS)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
the only thing I plan to do to my BS is wrap it and put 295s on the back.... the car is so over-powered, such a torque monster, that I would think that a little more width back there would be a good thing...

oh yeah, and a 9500ci install...
Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 PM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S

1. Tune - I'm also hesitant on this subject for the very same reasons you are. I've been communicating with Velos DesignWerks about their tune. They said it's made in-house. The dyno chart they sent shows a healthy increase in torque and power. Their rep specifically mentioned that they also improved the throttle response. I'm still not sure how thats possible, but it's tempting to get the tune.

2. Lowering - I'm not sure how much lower you'd like to go. Our cars already sit low. I like what you've done, as far as lowering with the OEM suspension. I will most likely do the same. Velos DesignWerks is the only company I've seen advertise lowering a Black Series. From the video, it looks like the replaced the rear springs. It looks good, but slightly too low for real world driving IMO.

3. Bolt on power mods - JBizzy21 started a thread on his BS. He's putting headers, Xpipe, and a tune. Dyno videos included. He hasn't posted the results yet, but they should be good. I'm considering the Akrapovic evolution system, but I don't want to change the factory exhasut note too much. A Weistec SC would be fun, but I feel it's way overpriced. If I could get it for $10K installed, it'd be a done deal. We'll see if the price becomes more attractive over the next couple years. Here's a link to the thread I was reffering to. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...yno-video.html

4. Wheels - I'm considering the HRE P43SC because I like the factory look, but want to change it slightly. I really like the way 20's look on this car, but imagine they will ruin the drivability. 19's seem more functional, but will I regret not getting 20's or vice versa????? Can anyone with 20's on their C63 chime in with any feedback?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM

2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by jtrichel
the only thing I plan to do to my BS is wrap it and put 295s on the back.... the car is so over-powered, such a torque monster, that I would think that a little more width back there would be a good thing...

oh yeah, and a 9500ci install...
good luck with the 295's...we ordered a set and put them on, but they were a bit too wide for comfort on the wheel, so we downgraded back to the 285's
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Jbizzy21
good luck with the 295's...we ordered a set and put them on, but they were a bit too wide for comfort on the wheel, so we downgraded back to the 285's
that's disappointing... good to know...
Old 08-28-2012, 03:59 AM

Cars
I run 295s on my stock wheels, a bit wide and they bulge a bit but it's not too bad, some HRE P43SC's are looking awfully tempting though these days
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys, I am thinking of keeping the car pretty much stock. I have to get the new M5 and those wheels must go and Im sure it will need an exhaust too.

I havent driven my CBS all that much in the last month (being out of town and such) and today it just made me really happy all over again. I always mod my cars and Im scared that I dont need to do that here- scared in a good way

I do like the new tire option over the Contis... and maybe the straight pipe on the post cat... damn Im already talking mods again after just typing that up above

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 7th AMG and the Best One Yet: C63 Black Series