C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd bits about the Nissan GT-R coming from the C63...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2012 | 08:51 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Odd bits about the Nissan GT-R coming from the C63...

I know this is kind of off topic, but I don't want to post this in NAGTROC as this will matter more to C63 owners here than over there. This will not be a traditional review, rather this will be like a list of bullet points added on the bottom as I discover them. Enjoy.

- We all know that the GT-R accurate and brake faster than the C63, however, feel wise the pedals are softer than the C63.

- When you turn the C63 off the screen closes and what not so it is not immediate; for the GT-R when you push the stop button, EVERYTHING just stop all at once.

- Audio system wise I do think the C63 has better mids an highs, but the differences are slight.

- The GT-R has quite a bit more road noise compare to the C63.

- To me the engine sounds like a mix of the C63 and RX-8. Since the RX-8 uses the rotatory engine, it sounds like a vacuum; the GT-R is short of the same with it's two turbos but quite a bit louder as the C63.

- Why should Nissan decided to use VELCRO to tape the owner's manual into the trunk's carpet is beyond me...

- The GT-R is about 5 inches wider than the C63 and about the same length, but this should not cause too much problem parking.

- Turing wise the GT-R is wider than the C63 with a much more noticeable increase on steering feel. The leather of the steering wheel also feels a little bit softer.

- The GT-R is only a hair lower than the C63, so to handle pot holes and bad roads they are both pretty much the same.

- MPG wise the GT-R is a hair better the C63 for city driving, and it has a bigger fuel tank too.

- The C63 is a bit more plastic-ky than the GT-R, but both of them can get white marks quite easily on the plastic bits.

- The back of the Recaro seats are little bit more round than the C63's seats, but the boaters on the bottom of the Recaro did press into my hip and thigh quite a bit. This will take me a while to get used to.

- I keep reaching down into the dash with my left hand trying to release the brake after I shifted into reverse. Old habit dies hard I guess.

- The in car electronics are light years better than the C63's or any euro cars for that matter. Voice reg works the first time and I can do everything with the NAVI while driving!

- I always drive with groves on, and unlike the iPhone/iPod Touch, the GT-R multi-function still works!

- Speaking about the iPod, you will have to get your own cable as the GT-R only gives you 1 USB port but no cable...

- We all know that car doors will lock themselves at speed, and when you slow down in the C63, you can just pull the handle and open the door. However, the GT-R door will not unlock itself when pulled after locking and require you to push the unlock button. I found this bit annoying as I have a manual gate to open before parking.

- The GT-R's side mirrors look like dog ears to me and a bit smaller than the C63's. However, you can fold them with a button, which this function was removed for US spec C63s.

- That stick for turn signals angled a bit higher than the C63, so your fingers has to reach higher for that.

- The key fob for the GT-R is a bit lighter than the C63's. However, I know the C63's key fob, or MB's in general, are quite tough. I once washed AND dried my MB key fob and it still works! I mention this because I almost always forgot about the key fob and left it in my pants, and this is why I added a key chain to my GT-R key fob to increase its size and weight.

- The US spec C63 comes with 2 supported cup holders with spring tabs; the GT-R comes with 3 cup holders in 3 different sizes... unsupported of course.

- You can open the door of a C63 with only one finger, but for the GT-R not so much, and it is much more difficult to open the door when you are carrying things.

- We know that there is a hidden aux audio jack in the grove box for the C63, but I think there is a hidden video aux input somewhere in the GT-R. I found this as I push the aux input button in the GT-R and somehow cycled into a blue screen.

- For the C63 in C mode it generally shifts at about 1500 to 2000 RPM, but it will keep the gear at 4th in city driving. The GT-R on the other hand loves to up shifts for some reason, and in auto mode by 25 mph it already shifted into 6th. Also, there is a feature in the GT-R that I would love MB to put into their AMG models, which is a way to control when to auto up shifts. In the GT-R you can set the RPM to up shift and the system will do it. I think the default is like 3000 RPMs, but you can set it as high as 4500 RPMs.

- For people that actually care about fuel economy, we know that the C63 averages about 10-12 MPG in city driving and maybe 20-24 MPG highway. As for the GT-R it is pretty much the same city driving wise. However, when going down hill on the highway, the GT-R MPG will jump from 25-ish to an amazing 60+ MPG!! So I guess to save fuel all we have to do is to do down hill ALL the time, and I guess driving off a cliff will gives you an instant INFINITE MPG...

- The back seats are truly worthless as they are so hard to get in and out of. And why would Nissan thinks it was a good idea to put cloth hanger hooks in the the back is just beyond me.

- There is no mute button on the steering wheel, or anywhere for that matter in the GT-R... but eh audio OFF button for the volume control serves the same function.

- All the labels on the glass for the right side are all etched on the INSIDE of the car, so from the right looking from the outside all the label lettering are reversed.

Sheep

Last edited by Sheep; 07-31-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2012 | 09:04 PM

C63
Very interesting post. My brother is planning on getting a GT-R at the end of the year. He always borrows my car every time he gets a chance. I'll have him read this post.
Old 07-29-2012 | 09:15 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Yeah, and I will update this post as I discover more new things. Thanks for reading.

Sheep
Old 07-29-2012 | 09:49 PM

C63 AMG
Also the cabin air in the GTR just feels faster and better than the C63....

J/K Great write up. Especially about the lighter key fob and lack of IPod cable in the GTR...

Last edited by melmanc55; 07-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2012 | 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
how about the trunk? does it pop fully open with one touch?

As for the music/ electronics all suddenly stopping, I found what MB does is a really nice touch. Like if you turn your car one or off... the sound will fade in or fade out... so it lets your eardrums assimilate

how is the blind spot on the GTR?

Lastly, I'll be interested to know your experiences when you take the car in for service. Do they give you the same treatment as a customer that bought a Nissan Cube
Old 07-29-2012 | 10:17 PM

C63 AMG
You know a cousin of mine just bought a 2010 GTR. It is a very fast car. No doubt. It has about 22k miles on it. One thing I noticed was the fake aluminum brushed look is peeling off on both interior door handles....I wonder if that is the same quality aluminum plastic covering they put in the Nissan cube?

BTW Nothing beat the blind spot in the C63! Almost gotten in a couple wrecks because of it...

Last edited by melmanc55; 07-29-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2012 | 03:43 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by Fung63
how about the trunk? does it pop fully open with one touch?

As for the music/ electronics all suddenly stopping, I found what MB does is a really nice touch. Like if you turn your car one or off... the sound will fade in or fade out... so it lets your eardrums assimilate

how is the blind spot on the GTR?

Lastly, I'll be interested to know your experiences when you take the car in for service. Do they give you the same treatment as a customer that bought a Nissan Cube
The trunk does NOT fully open, or even open, when you touch that button. It just pop with a small gap and you will have to open the rest yourself. The blind spot for the GT-R is pretty big, BUT unlike the C63, you can see all the back side with the side mirrors so that's make up for it. Don't know about service yet, but my dealer is suppose to be pretty good. My GT-R is their forth one this year, so I take that as a dealer with some decent experiences dealing with GT-R owners. And yes, the C63's mute button is actually a very quick fade function. Go try it out and you can tell it is a fade and not a sudden mute.

Sheep
Old 07-30-2012 | 03:45 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by melmanc55
You know a cousin of mine just bought a 2010 GTR. It is a very fast car. No doubt. It has about 22k miles on it. One thing I noticed was the fake aluminum brushed look is peeling off on both interior door handles....I wonder if that is the same quality aluminum plastic covering they put in the Nissan cube?

BTW Nothing beat the blind spot in the C63! Almost gotten in a couple wrecks because of it...
The door handles were wrapped in red leather for the black edition, so I don't think I will have that problem. However, the door lever are grey colored plastics and that might fade in the future.

Sheep
Old 07-30-2012 | 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Hey Sheep, about the velcro in the trunk holding the owners/operators manual...my SLS has the same, I have come to the conclusion that the package of manuals etc is to big for the glove compartments up front so they put it in the rear and being the drivers car it is, well they decided to velcro it to the wall or it would fly around endlessly.
Old 07-30-2012 | 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by Sheep
The trunk does NOT fully open, or even open, when you touch that button. It just pop with a small gap and you will have to open the rest yourself. The blind spot for the GT-R is pretty big, BUT unlike the C63, you can see all the back side with the side mirrors so that's make up for it. Don't know about service yet, but my dealer is suppose to be pretty good. My GT-R is their forth one this year, so I take that as a dealer with some decent experiences dealing with GT-R owners. And yes, the C63's mute button is actually a very quick fade function. Go try it out and you can tell it is a fade and not a sudden mute.

Sheep
I had an acura many years ago that just pops open a bit as well. Always bugged me lol I find it especially annoying when I got my hands full and I have to physically lift open the trunk.
Old 07-30-2012 | 09:12 AM

C63 AMG
The door handles were wrapped in red leather for the black edition, so I don't think I will have that problem. However, the door lever are grey colored plastics and that might fade in the future.

Sheep
I bet that looks pretty cool. Let's see some pics! Yeah on my cousins car they just stripped the rest of the silver film off that left a chrome like finish underneath it.
Old 07-30-2012 | 11:46 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Hey Sheep, about the velcro in the trunk holding the owners/operators manual...my SLS has the same, I have come to the conclusion that the package of manuals etc is to big for the glove compartments up front so they put it in the rear and being the drivers car it is, well they decided to velcro it to the wall or it would fly around endlessly.
That I can understand, but why Velcro? The GT-R's manuals are bundled together by something akin to bungee and Velcro, but will it kill Nissan or MB to have a nice leather case for them?

Sheep

Last edited by Sheep; 07-30-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:46 PM

C63
How's the handling compared to the C? There almost similar in weight if I recall correctly.
Old 07-30-2012 | 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Good comparison write-up.
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
I know this is kind of off topic, but I don't want to post this in NAGTROC as this will matter more to C63 owners here than over there. This will not be a traditional review, rather this will be like a list of bullet points as I discover them. Enjoy.

- We all know that the GT-R accurate and brake faster than the C63, however, feel wise the pedals are softer than the C63.

- When you turn the C63 off the screen closes and what not so it is not immediate; for the GT-R when you push the stop button, EVERYTHING just stop all at once.

- Audio system wise I do think the C63 has better mids an highs, but the differences are slight.

- The GT-R has quite a bit more road noise compare to the C63.

- To me the engine sounds like a mix of the C63 and RX-8. Since the RX-8 uses the rotatory engine, it sounds like a vacuum; the GT-R is short of the same with it's two turbos but quite a bit louder as the C63.

- Why should Nissan decided to use VELCRO to tape the owner's manual into the trunk's carpet is beyond me...

- The GT-R is about 5 inches wider than the C63 and about the same length, but this should not cause too much problem parking.

- Turing wise the GT-R is wider than the C63 with a much more noticeable increase on steering feel. The leather of the steering wheel also feels a little bit softer.

- The GT-R is only a hair lower than the C63, so to handle pot holes and bad roads they are both pretty much the same.

- MPG wise the GT-R is a hair better the C63 for city driving, and it has a bigger fuel tank too.

- The C63 is a bit more plastic-ky than the GT-R, but both of them can get white marks quite easily on the plastic bits.

- The back of the Recaro seats are little bit more round than the C63's seats, but the boaters on the bottom of the Recaro did press into my hip and thigh quite a bit. This will take me a while to get used to.

- I keep reaching down into the dash with my left hand trying to release the brake after I shifted into reverse. Old habit dies hard I guess.

- The in car electronics are light years better than the C63's or any euro cars for that matter. Voice reg works the first time and I can do everything with the NAVI while driving!

- I always drive with groves on, and unlike the iPhone/iPod Touch, the GT-R multi-function still works!

- Speaking about the iPod, you will have to get your own cable as the GT-R only gives you 1 USB port but no cable...

- We all know that car doors will lock themselves at speed, and when you slow down in the C63, you can just pull the handle and open the door. However, the GT-R door will not unlock itself when pulled after locking and require you to push the unlock button. I found this bit annoying as I have a manual gate to open before parking.

- The GT-R's side mirrors look like dog ears too me and a bit smaller than the C63's. However, you can fold them with a button, which this function was removed for US spec C63s.

- That stick for turn signals angled a bit higher than the C63, so your fingers has to reach higher for that.

- The key fob for the GT-R is a bit lighter than the C63's. However, I know the C63's key fob, or MB's in general, are quite tough. I once washed AND dried my MB key fob and it still works! I mention this because I almost always forgot about the key fob and left it in my pants, and this is why I added a key chain to my GT-R key fob to increase its size and weight.

- The US spec C63 comes with 2 supported cup holders with spring tabs; the GT-R comes with 3 cup holders in 3 different sizes... unsupported of course.

- You can open the door of a C63 with only one finger, but for the GT-R not so much, and it is much more difficult to open the door when you are carrying things.

- We know that there is a hidden aux audio jack in the grove box for the C63, but I think there is a hidden video aux input somewhere in the GT-R. I found this as I push the aux input button in the GT-R and somehow cycled into a blue screen.

Sheep

Great info. I am currently in search of a GTR. Not brand new though. To much money.. Im looking at a 2010-2011. I will tune it and midpipe. Also update the launch control to LC4.

Cant wait! Thanks for the review.
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:27 PM

I have to say I really miss the exhaust growl of my C63. It was awesome. I also miss the torque. But beyond that, this GT-R is comfortable (especially with suspension in comfort mode) and very much a great daily driver. Lots of room in the trunk, and room for 4 (albeit very tight) if you are in a bind. It does feel bigger but once you start going through some twisties at some insane speeds you will forget all about that.

And the first gear when the turbo kicks in is insane. Love the AWD!!!!
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:34 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by propain
Great info. I am currently in search of a GTR. Not brand new though. To much money.. Im looking at a 2010-2011. I will tune it and midpipe. Also update the launch control to LC4.

Cant wait! Thanks for the review.
It's LC5 now, and maybe LC6 soon.

Sheep
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:36 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by RuckinAMG
How's the handling compared to the C? There almost similar in weight if I recall correctly.
It does feel a bit heavier but more lively. Yes the weight on both are similar.

Sheep
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
great review. your car looks even more sick in person. thanks for showing it to me yesterday man! nice meeting you.
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:50 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by natman316
great review. your car looks even more sick in person. thanks for showing it to me yesterday man! nice meeting you.
No problem, you guys are welcome anytime and thanks for taking my tires.

Sheep
Old 07-30-2012 | 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
It's LC5 now, and maybe LC6 soon.

Sheep
So Ive heard. Its my understanding LC4 is the best one.
Old 07-30-2012 | 06:36 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Maybe, but remember that the LC update is not just for launching, it also given how the tans behave during normal driving conditions. Plus I know that with LC5 you can launch all day with out problems.

Sheep
Old 07-30-2012 | 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Maybe, but remember that the LC update is not just for launching, it also given how the tans behave during normal driving conditions. Plus I know that with LC5 you can launch all day with out problems.

Sheep
This is what I was told for what its worth...

There are now 5 versions of LC. LC4 and LC5 the newest and most popular. LC4 seems to be the most popular and not only does it change the actual launch (which i very rarely use) it also changes the tranny tuning to make the car SOOOOO much more drivable than when it was stock.

I Upgraded my 09 to LC4 a few months ago and it literally transformed the car.
Old 07-30-2012 | 07:09 PM

SLS
This is a seriously helpful thread. Thanks for sharing all this info.

Congrats, again, by the way!
Old 07-31-2012 | 09:05 AM

2010 CL550 loaded
Originally Posted by melmanc55
Also the cabin air in the GTR just feels faster and better than the C63....

J/K Great write up. Especially about the lighter key fob and lack of IPod cable in the GTR...
Wait until you get the gasoline smell. Happened on mine 4 times in 3 years. Also happened in a 2013 I drove for one day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Odd bits about the Nissan GT-R coming from the C63...