Weighed My C63 P31 = 3,880 lbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by SMP
Why would the CEL come on? It's got nothing todo with anything engine related ... you'll get a warning light for low windshield washer fluid though.

As for taking about 130 pounds out of the car ... unless you take it to the 1/4, a road course or line up with someone, it will have almost no effect on the street ... not even "noticeable seat of pants" performance. To put it in perspective: You run the car with a 1/4 tank, which is about +/- 4 gallons, weighing about 20 pounds. A full tank weighs about 105 pounds ... an 85 pound weight saving. To be honest, I wouldn't be able to feel it driving around town, not even 130 pounds ... besides, with 4 gallons you go around the block a couple of times before you have to look for a gas station.
Thanks for the clarification between the CEL and the warning light.

Here's the thing: this is my 2nd C63. My first one was not a P31. So, for me, I'm comparing the weight savings from the non-P31, because I drove one for a while. From the non-P31, I'm going to be down around 200 lbs, maybe more when all is said and done. And IMO if MB/AMG announced the next C63 was going to be 200 lbs less, most enthusiasts would be really excited, even if they didn't plan on being competitive with their cars on the track.

Whether we can feel even a 130 lbs weight savings on the street is not a complete hypothetical. What do you mean by street? If you mean, stop-and-go traffic, sure, no noticable difference; even including freeway driving. But, there are plenty of opportunities to drive your car in a spirited manner on some fun roads.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I choose to enjoy my car on some nice, isolated roads at times, and I prefer to have less gas in the car for these outings, and even higher octane than 91.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3-Series BMW for now...
For reference, they usually have truck (rig) scales at the garbage dumps for weighing truck loads of recycle items.

I weigh all my vehicles there. Simply drive up and say "hi" to the guy and tell him just weighing my vehicle, then pull a u-turn and leave.

You cannot get out of the vehicle though, so will have deduct your own weight.

Also, I don't think the scales are too accurate for cars/motorcycles since they are made for long bed trucks and the reading is at one end. But good for 95% accurate.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by rickmonet
For reference, they usually have truck (rig) scales at the garbage dumps for weighing truck loads of recycle items.

I weigh all my vehicles there. Simply drive up and say "hi" to the guy and tell him just weighing my vehicle, then pull a u-turn and leave.

You cannot get out of the vehicle though, so will have deduct your own weight.

Also, I don't think the scales are too accurate for cars/motorcycles since they are made for long bed trucks and the reading is at one end. But good for 95% accurate.
Good point about accuracy. The scale I went to was used for DMV purposes and I received a certificate that would ordinarily be used to meet DMV requirements. I don't know how strict the government is in requiring accurate weight, but I assume they want the scales to meet certain requirements.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Thanks for the clarification between the CEL and the warning light.

Here's the thing: this is my 2nd C63. My first one was not a P31. So, for me, I'm comparing the weight savings from the non-P31, because I drove one for a while. From the non-P31, I'm going to be down around 200 lbs, maybe more when all is said and done. And IMO if MB/AMG announced the next C63 was going to be 200 lbs less, most enthusiasts would be really excited, even if they didn't plan on being competitive with their cars on the track.

Whether we can feel even a 130 lbs weight savings on the street is not a complete hypothetical. What do you mean by street? If you mean, stop-and-go traffic, sure, no noticable difference; even including freeway driving. But, there are plenty of opportunities to drive your car in a spirited manner on some fun roads.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I choose to enjoy my car on some nice, isolated roads at times, and I prefer to have less gas in the car for these outings, and even higher octane than 91.
Fair enough ... one question though: I live in CA and I think you do too ... maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, there are some fun roads out in the boonies ... without too much heat (not talking about the one generated by the sun) ... but without a support vehicle carrying the gas, you won't go far driving spirited on 4 gallons

Kidding aside ... if you love twisty back roads, get yourself a set of coil overs ... you'll feel the difference immediately.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651237

Let this be your inspiration:

Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by SMP
Fair enough ... one question though: I live in CA and I think you do too ... maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, there are some fun roads out in the boonies ... without too much heat (not talking about the one generated by the sun) ... but without a support vehicle carrying the gas, you won't go far driving spirited on 4 gallons

Kidding aside ... if you love twisty back roads, get yourself a set of coil overs ... you'll feel the difference immediately.
Some good points.

Err... what was the question?

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 08-09-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by yooker
I'm more intrigued by that walking poodle monster in your sig. haha
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Your rotors on p31 are 6lbs less then the regular ones.12lbs
Your seat about about 8lbs less then the leather ones. 16lbs
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
My pink slip says 4000lbs.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by mthis
Your rotors on p31 are 6lbs less then the regular ones.12lbs
Your seat about about 8lbs less then the leather ones. 16lbs
Off topic. So close to 10's on your sig. Any way you can reach that without shots?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by khmergod
Off topic. So close to 10's on your sig. Any way you can reach that without shots?
Sure it can be done.
Need some intake work and Airboxes and do some weight reduction like I posted and it should get well under 11flat I'm thinking somewhere 10.8's by the time I'm done with the mods on this car.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by mthis
Sure it can be done.
Need some intake work and Airboxes and do some weight reduction like I posted and it should get well under 11flat I'm thinking somewhere 10.8's by the time I'm done with the mods on this car.
I like a sex. It's a very nice.-Borat
Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by khmergod
I like a sex. It's a very nice.-Borat
Very nice lol
I been chasing 10's for a while now, this season will be the 1st time out with my custom Dyno tune, before I starts making More changes I wanna if just the tune did anything for me bc before I ran the time in my sig with a shelf tune

Last edited by mthis; 08-11-2012 at 10:51 AM.