C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ADV1s are here! + TPMS question

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by Roswell
Natman, I'm glad to hear they will cover the cost of repairing ur rim.

As for ur vibration, if u had ur wheel/tire balance at Midas, then I doubt it's a balancing problem. It brings me to think u might have the wrong center bore.. Can u measure it urself?
I posted this on post#59.. Try measuring the centerbore, if it's the right size (66.6).. Then ur wheels are defective, and u should return it.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
I posted this on post#59.. Try measuring the centerbore, if it's the right size (66.6).. Then ur wheels are defective, and u should return it.
Yep got it, I'll probably try sometime this week. It's been a very busy week for me so when I have the time I will do it and post results.

Also if anyone has an idea about other reasons for the vibration, please let me know.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Any update on this?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
I've been really busy to take off all the wheels and measure them. I'll do it tomorrow. I measured one wheel (the worst run off one) and it was fine.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^ At this point, I'm not sure if this should be consider good or bad news?

I'm very curious to know what is causing the vibration if the centerbore & balancing is correct... could it be a bad alignment?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Does your car drive fine with the stock wheels?
Are the wheels bent? Measure the centerbore
Lastly are you sure your wheels take oem lugs.

I have never heard of a rim that takes both OEM ball and Aftermarket Conical seats.
Correct me if Im wrong.

BTW i wont mess with ADV1, their reputation has got the best of them. If you go back far enough on here you will find their thread that brought on their end with 360 forged. Rusted Fasteners, numerous tales of poor customer service, and taking deposits on wheels and no product to show the customer after 6 months. A lot of it had to with merchant accounts and such. But it goes to show you that the guy in charge had no formal business plan or a contingency to accomodate his growth. I guess he was preoccupied with driving around in other peoples cars trying to reach 10 sec 1/4 mile times on 150shot nitrous in a CLS that wasnt his.... So fast forward a year later, 360 Forged is sold to someone more reputable. ADV1 is then born again from the same individual.

Look at my choice of wheel is below.
HRE....They don't even make this wheel anymore. HRE FANBOY!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
^^ At this point, I'm not sure if this should be consider good or bad news?

I'm very curious to know what is causing the vibration if the centerbore & balancing is correct... could it be a bad alignment?
I just have the feeling that the run out of the one wheel is the cause, even though it's under the "limit". Who makes this limit anyways? Now I am not very knowledgable when it comes to wheel balancing so I won't say for certain but just looking at the numbers make me think that (fronts were so close, rears, no)

I'll measure the front ones and update

Originally Posted by moosejaw

I have never heard of a rim that takes both OEM ball and Aftermarket Conical seats.
Correct me if Im wrong.

BTW i wont mess with ADV1, their reputation has got the best of them. If you go back far enough on here you will find their thread that brought on their end with 360 forged. Rusted Fasteners, numerous tales of poor customer service, and taking deposits on wheels and no product to show the customer after 6 months. A lot of it had to with merchant accounts and such. But it goes to show you that the guy in charge had no formal business plan or a contingency to accomodate his growth. I guess he was preoccupied with driving around in other peoples cars trying to reach 10 sec 1/4 mile times on 150shot nitrous in a CLS that wasnt his.... So fast forward a year later, 360 Forged is sold to someone more reputable. ADV1 is then born again from the same individual.

I'm really sure that my car doesn't, but it's been a while since I went that fast on my stock wheels ( I had toasted the tires drifting and drove on cords for a while lol) so I don't remember exactly, but I'm really sure it vibrates. I took my friends WRX up to that speed and it didn't even vibrate as bad.

I was assured by adv that my wheels take stock lugs, they have asked me to check the center bore again.

Is there any way to see if the wheels are incompatible with the stock lugs?

Like I said I really don't know if it's just the balancing, the faulty wheel or the machining or if it is just something else not related to the wheel.

I hope someone who's experience in this can shine some light onto the possible reasons. I spent alot of money on these wheels and really thought it would be trouble free, OEM like fitment. I know the history of the company but seeing as they have their wheels on so many high end cars and their customer service experience for me was a good one, I thought they have gotten their act together. I'm still willing to give it a chance.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
If the bolt seat is "rounded" it's ball seat, like OEM. If it's more of a straight bevel, its conical seat, and needs matching lug bolts.

All aftermarket 3 piece rims I've ever seen minus Monoblocks use Cone seat. Just pull one off, and take a look.

Last edited by obsidian05e55; 09-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM

2005 C230K SS 6-Spd

Correct me if Im wrong.

Yea but lets be honest 360 Forged practices back in the day and ADV.1's current practices are not remotely the same... They don't use zinc fasteners like 360, they don't sell retail like 360, they don't ever accept credit cards like 360 (which according to the owner was the downfall of 360). They don't use the same suppliers as 360. The argument is tantamount to saying Mercedes today is the same as when it was owned and operated with Chrysler... different practices, suppliers, budget, customer service, design, build, and yes - end product.

I suspect if people were getting scammed out of wheels and people were getting screwed over on customer service, build quality, etc we'd see a lot more than 2-3 threads on the internet with a company that's been in business for I think about 3 years now? I don't know but I suspect that's many thousands of individual customers and we see 3 or 4 issues pop up over that entire timeframe... that failure rate has got to be inline with the rest of the industry.

my .02
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by LegitLifeStyle
Yea but lets be honest 360 Forged practices back in the day and ADV.1's current practices are not remotely the same... They don't use zinc fasteners like 360, they don't sell retail like 360, they don't ever accept credit cards like 360 (which according to the owner was the downfall of 360). They don't use the same suppliers as 360. The argument is tantamount to saying Mercedes today is the same as when it was owned and operated with Chrysler... different practices, suppliers, budget, customer service, design, build, and yes - end product.

I suspect if people were getting scammed out of wheels and people were getting screwed over on customer service, build quality, etc we'd see a lot more than 2-3 threads on the internet with a company that's been in business for I think about 3 years now? I don't know but I suspect that's many thousands of individual customers and we see 3 or 4 issues pop up over that entire timeframe... that failure rate has got to be inline with the rest of the industry.

my .02

Not everyone sits on forums all day posting. Majority of the customers buy the wheels because they look pretty, never do any research into a brand, usually get up sold into more expensive wheels just so that they feel special. We, on the forums, account for the 5% of the population that gives a crap.

R.K.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Yea but lets be honest 360 Forged practices back in the day and ADV.1's current practices are not remotely the same...
Oh yes you are correct
They now drill second holes into wheel inserts to save weight.
These second holes come threaded already and are slighly offset to give it that custom look.

while they were trying to maintain they were going for this look

Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
thank you everyone for the help and interest. unfortunately i cannot update you guys today as it rained and i didnt get a chance to take the wheel off. I will do it soon. sorry for the wait, i am so busy currently and just dont have the time

I did get an email from ADV1 today offering to take back the wheels to fix it. if anything I can take up that offer. but then i wont be able to drive for a while my stock rear tires are shreaded from drifting lol.

I'll check the lugs, and take off the wheel soon
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM

2005 C230K SS 6-Spd
Oh yes you are correct
These second holes come threaded already and are slighly offset to give it that custom look.
Again... same example everyone goes to as if it's representative of each wheel that rolls off the production line. My understanding is that MHT drills and machines the centers so if it can happen to an ADV.1 wheel it can happen to ANY MHT wheel regardless of brand.

natman - glad to hear they offered to take it back to inspect it or whatever. Let us know on the measurements when you can.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Again... same example everyone goes to as if it's representative of each wheel that rolls off the production line. My understanding is that MHT drills and machines the centers so if it can happen to an ADV.1 wheel it can happen to ANY MHT wheel regardless of brand.

natman - glad to hear they offered to take it back to inspect it or whatever. Let us know on the measurements when you can.
Again what!!!!!
Even if MHT manufacutred the wheel. Why would it leave the factory this way?
Plus did you read ADV.1's response to manufacturing error?

Let me ask you this?
Have you heard of this happening with a HRE, CCW or a Iforged wheel?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Doesnt matter what i argue, you'll still think OJ is still looking for for nicole browns killer....
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM

2005 C230K SS 6-Spd
Let me ask you this?
Have you heard of this happening with a HRE, CCW or a Iforged wheel?
20 seconds and google and

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...threadid=30097
http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f46...-wheels-58281/
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...l-problem.html

Or do those instances not count?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Why do you have such a hard-on for ADV1. They are overpriced no name bricks.

Did you notice in two of the threads that HRE stepped up to the plate and actually helped the customer?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 AM

2005 C230K SS 6-Spd

Did you notice in two of the threads that HRE stepped up to the plate and actually helped the customer?
Why do you have such a hate for ADV1? My point is simply that these defects in wheels are part of the aftermarket industry - no company, HRE, BBS, or ADV.1 is immune to manufacturing problems. The point is whether or not the company steps up and fixes what was wrong.

According to the OP ADV.1 has been proactive in contacting the customer with the problem even before he reached out to them. So why the hate? The thread on M3Post the guy got a brand new fixed set, and a brand new set for any car he wanted free of charge. I can't think of how better they could've handled the situation?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 AM

dreams
hello this is my first post and i have to say that my friend is also experiencing problems with his trakfunctions. they've already been road force balanced as well and still vibrate at 55 mph +.

that said, can't wait to order my c63!

Last edited by dcho; 09-20-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^ I guess u r not alone natman with the vibration issue.

At least, it looks like they will take care of u. Good luck with the repair.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 AM

MB
I don't see how taking credit card orders was 360Forge's undoing?
They were too busy showing off their new cars, and new office on 6Speed and getting TONS of love for it instead of working on filling orders and making a reputable product. I never heard of a 360Forged wheel failing. they had tons of finish problems, but these ADV wheels are just dangerous.

Oh yes you are correct

First they said it was to "save weight." Then they said it was an accident!!!
But I thought you sad it was for weight savings????

Let him buy these wheels. He may even work for ADV. Who cares. He's been informed. Besides, 360 screwed so many people that 6Speed, which LOVED 360Forged wheels, still bans any mention of ADV. If you post a thread bashing them, they'll still lock it.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by daddyo
I don't see how taking credit card orders was 360Forge's undoing?
They were too busy showing off their new cars, and new office on 6Speed and getting TONS of love for it instead of working on filling orders and making a reputable product. I never heard of a 360Forged wheel failing. they had tons of finish problems, but these ADV wheels are just dangerous.
This was years back but this was my recollection
They took so many credit card orders that their merchant accounts held money back as a precaution, they were a new business. Thus cashflow wasn't coming in. If cashflow is not coming in, you cant pay the people that make the wheels for you. So orders don't get fulfilled.

You are right, they spent way too much time showing off than actually getting work done. I don't remember a 360forged failing either but the same customer service is still there.

And its funny when i get into an argument with someone who comes to the defense of ADV1s. I always find out later that the person actually worked for them or sold their product.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350

And its funny when i get into an argument with someone who comes to the defense of ADV1s. I always find out later that the person actually worked for them or sold their product.
Or owns a set or wants to buy a set.

Gotta admit the wheels look nice though. Long as they look good, someone will take a chance.

Only way I would buy a set would be through a local dealer. If the dealer sells them, they take responsibility for them being right.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
alright guys, the big day has come.

Finally got a chance to measure the wheels today.

using the same caliper, I measured first the hub, then the bore of the wheel.

The hub came out to 2.615 inches or 66.421mm

the wheel came out to be 2.635inches, or 66.929mm

do you guys think this could be the problem? The wheel is .5mm off of the hub. and the back wheel was even closer, i think around 2.625.

sorry to keep everyone waiting, I literally just had time to do this, been busy as hell. Hope someone can shine the light.

Either way, I will talk to ADV about sending the wheels back and getting them checked...because either way, it is still vibrating pretty noticeably at 80+
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
My adv1 wheels are a tight fit onto the hub. When I undo the nuts I have to tap it from behind to take the wheel off. I've seen a few people recently have problems with adv1 wheels. So far mine have been perfect (3yrs of ownership). I recently dropped them off for a refurb and colour change. He well let me know of any issues so il keep you updated.

Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: My ADV1s are here! + TPMS question