Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 C63 depreciated 42% in 1 year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Ouch! Enjoy the C63 longer and trade in for a 1-2 year old SL63 in 2-3 years time.

Last edited by MB280S; 08-24-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by stangxs
They don't tax on selling price in NY? No matter how much value your trade in is here in CA, you still pay tax on the selling price, not final amount owed and/or finance total.
VA is the same...we get screwed on TAX. Plus I get to pay a personal property tax yearly based on the value of the car....going to be a solid $1800 this year!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:21 PM

2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by black-clk500
Sorry but your 2011 is a two year old car, not one year old.
Just because you bought it a year ago doesn't matter.

I have one of the first 2011s and it will be 2 years old in a week. That's why I always laugh when people buy late in the model year or buy leftovers and they think they save a little up front. I always try to buy as early in the model year as possible, so I get to use the car for the longest period for that year.

When the time comes to trade in, the dealers go by model year, whether it was one of the first or last cars made for that model year doesn't matter. Always factor this in when you buy a car, it can save you thousands of dollars later. My car is worth the same as yours, but I've enjoyed mine for twice as long! Either way, trading in after such a short time is not easy on the wallet.
You should, if we paid what you did, or anywhere close to what you did - but some of us didn't . I lost $500 (plus taxes) on my first C63 (bought brand new) after driving it for 8 months. I won't be as lucky on my 2011 as it is maxed out on options, but I will do a lot better than I would if I had bought it at the beginning of the model year. The discount I got was simply not possible at the beginning of the model year, even if you adjust for the depreciation because I bought it a model year and a half later (albeit new with 65 miles on it).

Also, while the points you make are correct about dealers going by model year, the trade in value that the OP got was way below what I would consider to be fair. That is what this thread is about, as that is what he can maximize right now.

We get no tax advantage in Cali for trading in cars, so I always prefer to sell mine to a private buyer.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by dodger63
What dealer mike i want to see what they say for me
Ask for Gary(Cadillac of Mahwah)

Originally Posted by - Guilty -
Cadillac of mahwah
Thanks.

Originally Posted by propain
Put it back to stock and you will probably get close to the same deal.
+1
Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Yes, many of us already know never to buy cars new since they are almost always depreciate and thus they are considered liabilities. Yes, let the first owner with a thick wallet take the hit.

Definitely agree with the above post about tax saving when traded in in certain location. The extra tax indeed negates the additional amount you can get from a private sale, not to mention the time and effort in doing a private sale.

It looks like you folks in Cali and Illi are just getting taxed into oblivison. That's the reason I choose not to live at those places.

IMHO, I believe C63 is the best handling AMG (besides SLS) there is. Thus, I also don't think the SL has the feeling you described. Just remember the SL is really a GT car for comfortable, highly cruising.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by vmx128
You should, if we paid what you did, or anywhere close to what you did - but some of us didn't . I lost $500 (plus taxes) on my first C63 (bought brand new) after driving it for 8 months. I won't be as lucky on my 2011 as it is maxed out on options, but I will do a lot better than I would if I had bought it at the beginning of the model year. The discount I got was simply not possible at the beginning of the model year, even if you adjust for the depreciation because I bought it a model year and a half later (albeit new with 65 miles on it).

Also, while the points you make are correct about dealers going by model year, the trade in value that the OP got was way below what I would consider to be fair. That is what this thread is about, as that is what he can maximize right now.
So you know what I paid for my car when I bought it, or you're just assuming I paid a lot because that's what some suckers do with early cars.

For the record, I got a very aggressive deal on my car when I bought it (albeit for a brand new, early MY edition). I got a bit more than 7% off MSRP (MB has about 10% markup) for an ordered car that came straight to me off the truck from the VPC. I'm more than happy to pay the extra 3% or roughly $2500 profit on my car if that means I get to enjoy it a year longer than some guy who buys a year old leftover that's been rotting on some dealer lot and test drove by guys like me

Whatever, I've been buying cars for myself and family for a long long time and I also buy tons of trucks every year for my business--I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to buying and selling cars Obviously, all of this hinges on getting a very aggressive deal and being a good negotiator with the dealership and not becoming emotional or attached to the car. Don't forget the trade, many people forget there's two ways for them to pork you, three if you finance it!

I actually walked on the first car I ordered from another dealer because they tried to pump me when it came in.

If you're happy with your deal that's all that matters!
I was just trying to open some peoples eyes about why cars are priced the way they are at the dealerships. The "trunk money" deals that were around for 2009-2010 were an exception to the rule and I almost bought a leftover 2010 E63 when I was shopping for my car two years ago. I know others here got in on those trunk money deals and that is the only time leftovers are a better buy.

Last edited by black-clk500; 08-24-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM

2011 C63 P31

For the record, I got a very aggressive deal on my car when I bought it (albeit for a brand new, early MY edition). I got a bit more than 7% off MSRP (MB has about 10% markup) for an ordered car that came straight to me off the truck from the VPC. I'm more than happy to pay the extra 3% or roughly $2500 profit on my car if that means I get to enjoy it a year longer than some guy who buys a year old leftover that's been rotting on some dealer lot and test drove by guys like me

If you're happy with your deal that's all that matters!
I was just trying to open some peoples eyes about why cars are priced the way they are at the dealerships. The "trunk money" deals that were around for 2009-2010 were an exception to the rule and I almost bought a leftover 2010 E63 when I was shopping for my car two years ago. I know others here got in on those trunk money deals and that is the only time leftovers are a better buy.
You paid 7% off MSRP at the beginning of the model year, I paid 24.5 and 26.5% off MSRP on brand new cars with 60 and 80 miles towards the end or into the following model year. At those prices, I'd buy a "leftover" any day!

But I agree, all that matters in the end is whether you are happy with what you got.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by vmx128
You paid 7% off MSRP at the beginning of the model year, I paid 24.5 and 26.5% off MSRP on brand new cars with 60 and 80 miles towards the end or into the following model year. At those prices, I'd buy a "leftover" any day!

But I agree, all that matters in the end is whether you are happy with what you got.
Your discount included a year + of depreciation don't forget, so if you do the math on your deal versus mine. The day you drove off the lot and pulled next to my car, our cars were worth roughly the same money, but I drove mine for over a year already! For me, less than 20% depreciation in the first year (not bad in my book for a brand new car) and mine didn't sit on a lot rotting with salesmen farting into the seats

Again, each their own, you did really well to get those deals (assuming trunk money was involved), I'd be willing to bet 75% of the people who bought their cars didn't get 20+% off their cars, leftover or not!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by c63addix
Yea my car is only 16k KM on it, I was hoping to get 54k assuming they were going to put in back in the market for 59k
My (fully loaded) 2012 is a year old 30k kms and I was offered 65K CAD trade in... you can do better!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by PetroC63
Ask for Gary(Cadillac of Mahwah)

Thanks.

+1

Amazing deals on the CTSV right now. 8K off MSRP with preferred pricing. 11K with GSM code.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 PM

C63, 335i
Sounds like typical dealership low-balling to me. You can definitely get more selling privately but if you've already taken a hit, why not just keep it and enjoy it.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I already posted this in another thread, but if you estimate that cars depreciate 50% after 4 years, your 2-year old C63 should have depreciated by about 25%. That should be your target private party sale price if the condition is excellent and miles are low/average. Anything below that is just margin the dealer is trying to make.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Rule #1 Never buy new
Rule #2 Never trade in to a dealer
Rule #3 If you don't plan to keep it five years, don't buy it.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I didn't lose much on my 09 C63. I got it discounted for $12000 off so I paid $52k and small change. I traded it in recently for almost $40000. So it "depreciated" like $4000 a year. That toi me is nothing cosniddering that leasing a car of this nature would cost you like $700 or $800 a month (at least).

I had mine for almost 3 years, I had fun and I lefts it before I had to do breaks or any other Sevice, tires, etc.

Like someone was saying, it is better to buy it used a lot of times and save a lot that way but you can also get it very cheap like I did and don't have much to lose.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Kijiji.ca sell it
Old 08-25-2012, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Definitely a low ball number, but also remember that depreciation is not straight-line; there's a big hit in those first thousand miles followed by a constantly varying rate after that. One other big question in trade / resale value is the availability of similar models - when I traded my CLS, there were 80 in the USA with similar options / mileage (leading to a lower price).
Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Your discount included a year + of depreciation don't forget, so if you do the math on your deal versus mine. The day you drove off the lot and pulled next to my car, our cars were worth roughly the same money, but I drove mine for over a year already! For me, less than 20% depreciation in the first year (not bad in my book for a brand new car) and mine didn't sit on a lot rotting with salesmen farting into the seats

Again, each their own, you did really well to get those deals (assuming trunk money was involved), I'd be willing to bet 75% of the people who bought their cars didn't get 20+% off their cars, leftover or not!

+1. You can keep your savings. For those who can afford the luxury of new car get a whole other feeling buying (not leasing) a BRAND NEW car with miles in the double digits.
With a used car you get a beat up interior, nicks and scratches, smells, swirls, and cars that have been beat on. Its a trade off. If you don't mind that stuff, you can save a lot. But if saving is not a big deal...then no worries. I like being the first. Brand new is sooooo amazing.

I'll take a new car in an AMG anyday...I'll pay, no problem.

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 08-25-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
With a used car you get a beat up interior, nicks and scratches, smells, swirls, and cars that have been beat on. Its a trade off. If you don't mind that stuff, you can save a lot. But if saving is not a big deal...then no worries. I like being the first. Brand new is sooooo amazing.
+1... Like a girlfriend, sloppy seconds are never a good idea Pop the cherry yourself and you know what you are getting, how many miles she has on her and you can be pretty sure she won't have any nasty surprises that will make your life miserable and require penicillin.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Look. This is incredibly simple. You bought a car at retail and now a year later you are selling it wholesale. That's a double whammy. First year of depreciation is the steepest and your dealer is not going to pay you anymore for the car than they can buy it for from a wholesaler. That's right - there is a wholesale market for cars, and they can buy that car from anyone, not just MB. Those cars come as a result of trade ins, bankruptcies, missed payments, divorce, deaths etc. They are priced for bulk purchase, at a price where the dealer can give them a going over and do any necessary work and sell them on the retail market at a profit. The dealer would be stupid to buy a car from you at a price he can beat elsewhere. In that sense, his logic is exactly the same as yours when you purchased.

Comparing retail price of a new car vs wholesale price of a used car is like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
These cars depreciate like a rock, period. If you must buy new you either:

A) don't care and just deal with it
B) get a smoking deal when new (like the trunk money in 09)
C) keep the car longer than 3 years to spread out depreciation and get more time in your "incremental loss" periods (as the guy mentions above about how depreciation slows)
D) lease the car and roll the dice on what it will ultimately be worth in 3 years. If you buy a 75k c63 now, pay 1k a month for 33 months, you're betting the car is worth $42k in 3 years. In reality it will probably be a bit more, but not by much, especially with 40k miles. And for the benefits associated with a lease, this may be a good option for you.

Either way you slice it....buying an AMG new and selling it in a year is nearly always going to be more than a bad idea, it's a REALLY bad idea.