Unusual jerky drive experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML63 AMG, 2018 C63S AMG, AUDI RS6
Post Unusual jerky drive experience

Hi Guy,

I have encountered 3 instances of my vehicle jerking in whilst lightly depressing the throttle in "comfort" mode as i pull out of junctions or down the stretch home. mind you this occurred today after a carwash of which i may have sprayed water into the air scoop.

I have experienced this once after a relatively spirited drive in the wet and after a carwash. I am in the midst of troubleshoot the possibility of this being contributed by a swap in the K&N air filter or perhaps some moisture entering the air vent tray.

In any case i have not had any warning CEL lights pop up and the car runs fine. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar case to mine before?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 ML350
If its as you slowly roll off without accelerate and just the torque on idle, its normal... I had this happen in mine and another friends c63 on occasions it sort of wobbles forward not very noticeable.

Originally Posted by Mischievous M
Hi Guy,

I have encountered 3 instances of my vehicle jerking in whilst lightly depressing the throttle in "comfort" mode as i pull out of junctions or down the stretch home. mind you this occurred today after a carwash of which i may have sprayed water into the air scoop.

I have experienced this once after a relatively spirited drive in the wet and after a carwash. I am in the midst of troubleshoot the possibility of this being contributed by a swap in the K&N air filter or perhaps some moisture entering the air vent tray.

In any case i have not had any warning CEL lights pop up and the car runs fine. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar case to mine before?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by C63sydney
If its as you slowly roll off without accelerate and just the torque on idle, its normal... I had this happen in mine and another friends c63 on occasions it sort of wobbles forward not very noticeable.
Yup... thats one matie. I was kinda chuffed about it but now that you mention it i've had similar experience in my sisters E92 M3 occasionally too. would you say this is a characteristic of V8s? - pardon my ignorance ay -

Thanks again for your feedback as i was thinking my car was a lemon for a second or perhaps i dont know how to drive it.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 AM

C63 ML350
IMO I think its mainly being a dual throttle body it sort of not perfectly in sync at idle with each other??? Also the exhaust I think plays a part with back pressures possibly? Im not an engineer so don't quote me.

Originally Posted by Mischievous M
Yup... thats one matie. I was kinda chuffed about it but now that you mention it i've had similar experience in my sisters E92 M3 occasionally too. would you say this is a characteristic of V8s? - pardon my ignorance ay -

Thanks again for your feedback as i was thinking my car was a lemon for a second or perhaps i dont know how to drive it.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by C63sydney
IMO I think its mainly being a dual throttle body it sort of not perfectly in sync at idle with each other??? Also the exhaust I think plays a part with back pressures possibly? Im not an engineer so don't quote me.
In any case, that makes perfect logical sense will consult the service team when i go in for my first run-in service.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I thought it was just the MCT box that wasn't so good at low speed...
Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
How many miles are on the car?

The MCT at low speeds is very temperemental...especially taking off in C. Reason I ask mileage, mine was really jerky when I first bought it but settled down a bit after adaptation to my driving habits (I assume).
Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by sbce90
I thought it was just the MCT box that wasn't so good at low speed...
Hehe... times like this i wish the car was a 6spd MT cos for a minute there i thought i was a lousy *** driver.

Originally Posted by rory breaker
How many miles are on the car?

The MCT at low speeds is very temperemental...especially taking off in C. Reason I ask mileage, mine was really jerky when I first bought it but settled down a bit after adaptation to my driving habits (I assume).
Hi rory, my estate has only clocked 2200kms of which is approximately 1422miles. the odd behavior kind annoyed me so i've been driving it in M full time. how's your car? you done many miles in it yet?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
6k or so...I did the same thing. I primarily drive in M anyway. c and S are still jerky sometimes at low speeds, but it's better than it was at first.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM

2012 CLS 63 Designo PP
Get rid of the k&ns, cel will come on eventually. I describe the feeling as wobble wobble, bc the car hesitates when u step hard on it. Samething happened to my e63 and went back to stock filters and after 5min of driving, car was back to normal.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BLKe63AMGpp
Get rid of the k&ns, cel will come on eventually. I describe the feeling as wobble wobble, bc the car hesitates when u step hard on it. Samething happened to my e63 and went back to stock filters and after 5min of driving, car was back to normal.
Interesting points of interest to note. I've had them filters in the car since I racked up 25miles on delivery till now with no issue. You reckon cel will appear eventually?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM

2012 CLS 63 Designo PP
It happened to me after some miles also. But even if the cel doesn't come on try getting rid of the k&ns and see if car drives better.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM

C63 ML350
Originally Posted by BLKe63AMGpp
It happened to me after some miles also. But even if the cel doesn't come on try getting rid of the k&ns and see if car drives better.
But I had this slight engine shudder or wobble without K&N's???

It would make sense to affect engine at lower RPM's tho..