C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Help a N00b Become a C63 Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW CC
Help a N00b Become a C63 Owner

Desperately want this car. I've driven two over the past week, and been stalking all the pre-owned C63's within 200 miles. I almost nabbed a 2009 CPO but they sold it before I could get down to the dealership.

I'm now looking at a non-CPO from an independent lot. 2009, with 19K miles, arctic white, with the Performance Package. NADA puts that car over $52K. They're asking $45,900.

Is that a good deal? Should I hold out for a CPO?

TIA
Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
Personally, I'd never own ANY car with out a manufacturer's warranty. Unless it happens to be a classic car.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM

VW CC
Originally Posted by USCGTO
Personally, I'd never own ANY car with out a manufacturer's warranty. Unless it happens to be a classic car.
This vehicle has about 8 months remaining factory warranty. I would most likely then purchase the extended coverage.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
i think, for that price you might be be able to get a CPO with slightly more miles. i'd suggest getting a cpo too.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM

'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
Still under warranty, no signs of damage and clean car fax.....I wouldn't be concerned. You can get an extended warranty from Mercedes for around $3200 which would give you an additional 3 years on top of the original and 75k total miles (of course you can get a longer warranty). Mercedes will not sell you an extended warranty if you purchase the car from a Mercedes dealer but I dont think that applies to an independant...check with dealer to be sure.

I would also try to beat them up a little on the price.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Wouldnt, ever, buy a AMG unless it was CPO. That is my personal opinion but I have already owned two AMG's and both purchases were very reliable.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM

VW CC
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
Wouldnt, ever, buy a AMG unless it was CPO.
Fair enough. Just for peace of mind, I would prefer CPO but just aren't many of these on the market.

Originally Posted by amg4rl
Mercedes will not sell you an extended warranty if you purchase the car from a Mercedes dealer
Wait, why not? Maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't make sense.

I would also try to beat them up a little on the price.
I plan on starting the negotiation at $41K or so.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Maybe you can push it to 43k, that would be my goal for a private sell. I've been looking for a CPO since January, with no avail: MB apparently wants to gain more money from CPO's. I saw one for 40k Miles, 2009 and $50k, too much... Only 2 CPO's were available in 8 months of searching for it: I gave up waiting for a CPO. The one I bought last week is not a CPO, but it still has 12 months of remaining warranty, and the condition of the car is excellent. Never been happier...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM

VW CC
Thanks for the input, Luis. The CPO that "got away" was 40K miles and they were asking a little under $45K. However, I'm using a fleet buying service that would have gotten the price a couple grand less than that. Still kicking myself that I couldn't get down there in time.

Not sure if the P30 package will be a benefit for resale or not. Brakes are a lot more expensive, and the springs are a tad stiff(er).
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
P30s are even more difficult to reach, due to their limited numbers. I believe MB manufactered those starting on 2010. I don't plan to track mine, I just wanted to drive it. So for me the P30 was desirable, but not a "must have". I lost 2 cars to other guys (or gals) because I didn't reacted on time. I suggest, that if you lost this one also, go to Autotrader, or Cars.com, and create an autosearch that will send you alerts if a new car appears in the listings. That is how I managed to keep myself up to date...
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM

'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5

I agree it doesnt make sense, but that is just MB policy, I think they do it to push CPO. I really don't see the difference between CPO and factory extended warranty.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM

VW CC
Keyes Van Nuys has a CPO 2010 with 25K miles and they want $60K. *******s.

I have an alert set up on cargurus.com. Pretty cool site.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
SLS
I agree it doesnt make sense, but that is just MB policy, I think they do it to push CPO. I really don't see the difference between CPO and factory extended warranty.
Any dealer can sell you the MB ELW after the fact, though, so long as the car is currently under a factory warranty (be it the New Car Warranty or the CPO Warranty). Just call up a bunch and ask their Finance Managers for quotes, and haggle haggle haggle. Where you buy the car is irrelevant. Only existing warranty is relevant.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Any dealer can sell you the MB ELW after the fact, though, so long as the car is currently under a factory warranty (be it the New Car Warranty or the CPO Warranty). Just call up a bunch and ask their Finance Managers for quotes, and haggle haggle haggle. Where you buy the car is irrelevant. Only existing warranty is relevant.
^^^ I feel i overpaid for my extended warranty. $4600 for 2 years! can my situation be corrected? sorry if the question is stupid, but can i ask for a refund and get a warranty somewhere else at a different dealership?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM

SLS
Originally Posted by Sidv22
^^^ I feel i overpaid for my extended warranty. $4600 for 2 years! can my situation be corrected? sorry if the question is stupid, but can i ask for a refund and get a warranty somewhere else at a different dealership?
How many miles, though? 75k, 100k, or 135k?

Not sure about refunds. Why not call Mercedes directly and ask what their policy is? http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/contact_us/overview
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM

'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
Originally Posted by agershon
Fair enough. Just for peace of mind, I would prefer CPO but just aren't many of these on the market.

I plan on starting the negotiation at $41K or so.

According to my local dealer it does in fact make a difference where you bought the car. I was told personally by my local MB authorized dealer that they will not sell you a Factory MB warranty if you bought the car used from a MB dealer (may apply to any dealer, not sure about that). Again this was first hand as I bought an extended warranty for my C63 that I purchased from a private party when it was one year old. They did not have a good explanation for this. I am not the only person on the forum that had this issue. I suggest the OP look into this if its a potential issue.

Last edited by amg4rl; 09-04-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
How many miles, though? 75k, 100k, or 135k?

Not sure about refunds. Why not call Mercedes directly and ask what their policy is? http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/contact_us/overview
2 years or 135K miles. i think i need to make that call.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 PM

SLS
According to my local dealer it does in fact make a difference where you but the car. I was told personally by my local MB authorized dealer that they will not sell you a Factory MB warranty if you bought the car used from a MB dealer (may apply to any dealer, not sure about that). Again this was first hand as I bought an extended warranty for my C63 that I purchased from a private party when it was one year old. They did not have a good explanation for this. I am not the only person on the forum that had this issue. I suggest the OP look into this if its a potential issue.
Hmm, that's interesting. I'd check directly with MBUSA to confirm. Whenever I've checked with them, they only cared about the VIN in order to confirm it's still currently under a factory warranty. They never cared where it was sold.

But yes, agreed. The OP should definitely look into this directly. I highly advise confirming with multiple dealers and MBUSA directly: 1-800-367-6372
Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 PM

'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
Originally Posted by Sidv22
You can get a full refund on the extended warranty as long as you do it before the original factory warranty expires.

I paid $3200 for a 7 year/75k mile warranty in 2010 (3 years and 25k miles above the original warranty). Prices may have gone up since then.....

Last edited by amg4rl; 09-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM

VW CC
I paid $3200 for a 7 year/75k mile warranty in 2010 (3 years and 25k miles above the original warranty). Prices may have gone up since then.....
I will definitely price this into the equation if I end up buying from an independent lot.

Regarding P30, I reeeeeeeeeeally like that alcantara steering wheel .....
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
According to my local dealer it does in fact make a difference where you bought the car. I was told personally by my local MB authorized dealer that they will not sell you a Factory MB warranty if you bought the car used from a MB dealer (may apply to any dealer, not sure about that). Again this was first hand as I bought an extended warranty for my C63 that I purchased from a private party when it was one year old. They did not have a good explanation for this. I am not the only person on the forum that had this issue. I suggest the OP look into this if its a potential issue.
I purchased my car used as well from a MB dealer and they gave me crap when I tried to get an ELW as well. Multiple dealers tried to do it for me and said they could, but when they tried to put the paperwork through it wouldn't go.

I would NOT have this car without warranty. I would look into 3rd party warranty companies, they are comparable to (if not better than) a MB CPO warranty.. I have Fidelity Platinum coverage.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by agershon
This vehicle has about 8 months remaining factory warranty. I would most likely then purchase the extended coverage.
I don't think MBZ will sell you an extended factory warranty on a non-CPO car. Also read the stick on headbolt issues before you decide.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 AM

jeep
Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM

VW CC
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
I don't think MBZ will sell you an extended factory warranty on a non-CPO car.
If the car is still under original warrany, I think they will.

Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Also read the stick on headbolt issues before you decide.
Oh jeez. Is there any way to tell a car has the bad bolts? VIN or something? And how widespread is this problem, in terms of documented failures?

I noticed on a Carfax report that one car had head gasket replaced. Could be related?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by drawde
....I would NOT have this car without warranty. I would look into 3rd party warranty companies, they are comparable to (if not better than) a MB CPO warranty.. I have Fidelity Platinum coverage.
Any experiences with this coverage that you can share with us?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help a N00b Become a C63 Owner