C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 AMG Got Re-Sprayed - Need Help Detecting if Paint is Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG & RR
Question C63 AMG Got Re-Sprayed - Need Help Detecting if Paint is Good or Bad?

Hi Guys,

I am asking this for a close friend of mine who recently had to re-spray his front and rear bumper plus the front hood and fenders due to a collision. Other than looking for over sprays or gaps in paint between the body parts of the car are there any other ways of figuring out if the paint was done right? I suggested for him to make sure he gets a lifetime warranty on the paint and body work but he has still requested me to help him out with looking at the final product to make sure it was done well. I obliged but I hardly know what to really look for other than the obvious imperfections that anyone can see.

So any tips guys? It would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Check for orange peel on the surface of the paint. Make sure that the paint matches the factory panels in light and dark. Check for rough edges of the paint (usually found on the edges and back side of the panels). Open up the hood and make sure the edges don't have an abundance of clear coat. Check for dust and specs of stuff in the paint as well. You'll have to look closely for these. These are all things that are messed up too easily and only the best of the best body shops can do right and make it look like nothing happened, even to the trained eye.

To be honest, nothing will be perfect and it'll either be something that your friend will have to live with or he'll have to get the shop to fix. But just because the shop may fix a spec of dust doesn't mean it won't happen again when they redo it. So it just depends on your standards. I'm a perfectionist but even then I know the job won't be 100% perfect because that's near impossible, so I just have to let some things slide while having the shop redo the things that bother me most.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
^^^Thank you for the rapid reply and helpful tips. He knows I'm picky when it comes to my cars so that's prob why I was asked to go. Is there a way to test the consistency or level of the clear coat other than by looking and feeling? I think I've seen detailers use some device, not sure if it's for the clearcoat or not? Maybe I should call a detailer in the area to come with us to see if they can spot anything. I'm not trained in any way so it might be a moot point for me to be checking.

Thanks again for the help, if there is anything else anyone would like to add or suggest a good detailer in the L.A. area please do so.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
You may be correct that there's some tool to measure the thickness of the clear. I'm just not familiar with the process.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Make sure you take it in the sunlight. As florescent lighting will hide a lot of imperfections, sunlight will not lie.

Orange peel will be your biggest tell. Which can be remedied as long as there is enough clear.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Harbor Freight used to have a tool like this for much cheaper

http://www.amazonsupply.com/reed-st-..._pf_B008S0P32Y
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Thanks guys, I can always count on mbworld. Tomorrow is the big day so let's hope the shop did a good job which would make all of our lives a little easier.

Other than lightening, checking for rough edges, holograms, orange peel, excessive coating, dust or dirt particles trapped in the clear, is there anything else I need to look for?

@VividRacing I think that's what it was. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
I have a body shop, and i'll set a few things straight.

If the car is black, it will show some imperfection in some way, shape or form. I can shoot black, but man is it hard to get PERFECT. It requires sanding almost always, sand too much and you remove too much orange peel. Too little and you could have too much orange peel, also if too little is sanded, dust could remain etc.

If you'd like to, PM me some pics. I'll give my honest opinion. I don't like critiquing others work, because I agree with generic in the statement where he said nothing will be absolutely perfect. And I'm by no means perfect. But i work on my fair share of high end paints, and some require a pretty high level of detail post paint op, so I'm use to people being **** etc. The important thing is for the shop to satisfy the customer. They see something, fix it. Very simple. I'll check to see if i have any pics of orange peel or something laying around.. Maybe I should start a body shop thread for questions? lol

What kind of car is it btw? A benz or BMW? Lexus?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It's a C63 AMG.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by VividRacing
It's a C63 AMG.

yea missed that. lol

Since he had the bumpers shot, they will have a tad bit more orange peel than the rest of the panels. This is pretty normal, but if it's excessive it needs to be resolved.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

polyurethane is always going to do that right?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by VividRacing
polyurethane is always going to do that right?

Yes. It's not so bad on MBZ, but I have a 2012 135 at my shop right now, and to be honest.. Orange peel on this car is horrid. And i mean ALL around. Not just bumpers.

I'd say the best paint layout for your average car under 100k, would be Lexus. Hands down. Their clear lays down really nice, and the colors available are incredible imo.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
I'll snap some shots for you solekeeper to see if you can weigh in on the quality of the paint. Like I said, I'm pretty naive when it comes to these things so everyone's help and suggestions are truly grateful.

Any specific angles you'd need me to capture in the sunlight or out of the sunlight? The car is grey like mine in my signature picture here.