C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How reliable, or not, has your car been? Post experiences bad or good.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
How reliable, or not, has your car been? Post experiences bad or good.

I've been looking on this forum for a while trying to figure out how reliable c63s are and what kind of issues I might have to look out for, common problems, that sort of thing. I had a ton of issues with my first year c6 and I'd just like to avoid a headache/money pit this time around. I also find that most people only really post when they have a problem to either complain or get information on a fix. I haven't really come across any posts that joined problems together in one post, but above that, I think it'd be nice for anyone with a fairly problem free car to be able to express that.

So if you're reading this, toss up your year, mileage and any information you think would be relevant. And if you've had no issues other than keeping gas in the tank and tread on the tires, tell us that.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, 335i
The C63's tend to be pretty reliable and the motor should be very reliable down the line as long as you maintain it. However the C63's from 2008 to around mid 2010 had the defective head-bolt issue. You can read about it on the forum it's one of the stickies.
There has been some complaints regarding the jerkiness of the new MCT transmission found on the face lifted 2012 models.
Some of the cars with the P30 NOT the P31 package did not come with the complete package and may be missing bits and pieces. The P30's have the alcantara steering wheel and the P31's have the red brake calipers and extra horsepower.
The 2-piece brake rotors are a bit expensive on cars equipped with the AMG development package and rear tires don't last long depending on how you drive but I'm sure you are familiar with that.

Here's mine:
Year-2009
Mileage-41,000

The dealership has so far replaced 1 burnt out tail light bulb, front driver's seat guide-rail, and the roof rails which were peeling all under warranty.

However, the low-coolant light came on for me recently at a little over 40,000 miles and so far the coolant level seems to have dropped more indicating that my car may have the infamous head bolt issue. The technicians found no leaks so the coolant has to be disappearing somewhere.
Besides this recent development, the car's been trouble free so far. Just change the fluids and filters and you should be good to go.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Great post and a good example of what I'd like to see in this thread.

That head bolt issue is really scaring my price range is limiting me to around 2009 or maybe a 2010 car. I also wouldn't want the development package just for the insane increase in price on those front rotors but then you don't get the LSD, which kind of sucks.

What is the warranty provided on the cars? i'm in canada if it makes a difference. Also, how long and how much is the extended warranty and does it have to the purchased before the mileage has been exceeded on the factory warranty?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 AM

C63, 335i
Without an LSD you would also save a bit on the service cost as well and the LSD is basically a clutch pack so it will wear out eventually. You probably won't need one unless you are planning on tracking the car and there is always the option to go with an aftermarket LSD that offers locking near 100% whereas the stock one only locks to 30%.
In addition, by not getting the development package, you will also avoid the P30 suspension. Some say it's too harsh around town and provides no enhanced performance in cornering. However the feel is very subjective as well.

For US cars the standard warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles whichever comes first. This covers pretty much everything that can go wrong with the car. Basically the new car warranty covering things such as cosmetics etc.
CPO or certified pre-owned gives you 1 year/50,000 miles whichever comes first. This warranty only covers mostly the important components such as the engine, transmission, etc. This warranty will not cover any cosmetic things such as roof rails peeling or weather stripping falling off etc. This also means that the car has been inspected and found to have no prior accidents and replace brake pads, rotors, tires, service. Whatever the car needs according to Mercedes' certification process before being sold as a CPO to the next buyer.

For the US extended warranties from Mercedes NOT a 3rd party is available for 1/2/3 years and up to 135,000 miles from what I can remember. I remember getting quoted about $5,000 for the 3 year/135,000 miles extended warranty and I'm pretty sure you would have to buy it before your existing warranty runs out.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
without factory LSD do both tires always spin when doing a burnout or getting sideways around a corner? well, providing turning off traction will even allow the car to get sideways without being in dyno mode (which i'm also curious about).

that extended warranty seems like a great idea, although 5k is a lot of things to go wrong to get your moneys worth. at the same time, 135k miles is getting up there, i'm sure lots of things start going wrong around that point.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by SM-AMG
Without an LSD you would also save a bit on the service cost as well and the LSD is basically a clutch pack so it will wear out eventually. You probably won't need one unless you are planning on tracking the car and there is always the option to go with an aftermarket LSD that offers locking near 100% whereas the stock one only locks to 30%.
In addition, by not getting the development package, you will also avoid the P30 suspension. Some say it's too harsh around town and provides no enhanced performance in cornering. However the feel is very subjective as well.

For US cars the standard warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles whichever comes first. This covers pretty much everything that can go wrong with the car. Basically the new car warranty covering things such as cosmetics etc.
CPO or certified pre-owned gives you 1 year/50,000 miles whichever comes first. This warranty only covers mostly the important components such as the engine, transmission, etc. This warranty will not cover any cosmetic things such as roof rails peeling or weather stripping falling off etc. This also means that the car has been inspected and found to have no prior accidents and replace brake pads, rotors, tires, service. Whatever the car needs according to Mercedes' certification process before being sold as a CPO to the next buyer.

For the US extended warranties from Mercedes NOT a 3rd party is available for 1/2/3 years and up to 135,000 miles from what I can remember. I remember getting quoted about $5,000 for the 3 year/135,000 miles extended warranty and I'm pretty sure you would have to buy it before your existing warranty runs out.
Just to be clear, the CPO car adds to the factory warranty starting with the original sale date when new. So that makes the warranty 5 year/100K miles for a CPO rather than 4/50 for a new car. If you buy a CPO car, say a 2009 MY that was originally sold on 5/20/2009 and it currently has 35K miles, you will have warranty on it until 5/20/2014 and 100k miles, meaning you have 1.5 years and 65K miles of warranty left.
You can buy CPO Extended Warranty for:

1 additional year (6 yr/120K)
2 additional years (7yr/135K)

Prices will vary from dealer to dealer just like the price of the cars.

Originally Posted by ShaneN.
without factory LSD do both tires always spin when doing a burnout or getting sideways around a corner? well, providing turning off traction will even allow the car to get sideways without being in dyno mode (which i'm also curious about).

that extended warranty seems like a great idea, although 5k is a lot of things to go wrong to get your moneys worth. at the same time, 135k miles is getting up there, i'm sure lots of things start going wrong around that point.
without an LSD (factory or not) power gets directed to the wheel with least traction, basically the path of least resistance. you can imagine how this is not good for getting around a race track quickly, you spend more time without traction and a "one tire fire" so to speak.

a LSD directs power to the wheel with most traction and in a straight line, to both wheels. different LSD types work a bit differently but they all have a common goal.

if you hammer the throttle in the corner you will basically not go anywhere without an LSD. with an LSD and hammer the throttle in a corner, you can drive with the throttle and fishtail, etc. Of course you can get the car to fishtail without an LSD but that is more due to going into the corner too hot with too much momentum and stabbing the throttle at the apex. thats different.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
warranty works like this in canada

new car warranty - 4yr / 80k kms from the inservice date.

if you buy a cpo car then they give you additional pseudo coverage (star certified) for another 2 years (this goes on top of any factory new car warranty you have left).

However, star certified really doesnt cover a whole lot so alot of us opt to buy into something called 'extended limited warranty'. ELW for the 5th and 6th year after the inservice dates function similar to the new car warranty. the 7th year if you decide to get it is closer to the star certified warranty

imo, if you buy a cpo car, mb canada gives you a good discount on the warranty. go get it.

as for my c63, it is a MY2010.... it has the usual rattle/sound. in addition, i replaced passenger seat guide rail and replaced keyless go antennae. Mechanically it is going strong

love the exhaust note
Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
is a cpo car basically only cars sold used from a mercedes lot that have been certified?

and is there any way to steer clear of this head bolt issue? or any way to prevent it?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 AM

2015 AMG GT-S,2015 GL63 AMG, 2016 Bmw M4, 2018 E63S AMG
Great post and a good example of what I'd like to see in this thread.

That head bolt issue is really scaring my price range is limiting me to around 2009 or maybe a 2010 car. I also wouldn't want the development package just for the insane increase in price on those front rotors but then you don't get the LSD, which kind of sucks.

What is the warranty provided on the cars? i'm in canada if it makes a difference. Also, how long and how much is the extended warranty and does it have to the purchased before the mileage has been exceeded on the factory warranty?
I have Eu version 2009 model with 58k Km on it and i never head any errors or concers with coolant level and the head bolt issue... The car is totally problem free for me ) except a few squicks and rattles and that is because there are many bumpy roads in my area )
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
2009 C63 CPO w/LSD, bought my car at 41,000 miles; now has 53,000 miles.

In that time I've noticed the following and had issues with.

1.) Had 2 times a traction warning light pop up while normal driving putting the car into limp mode. Stop and restart the car makes it go away.
2.) The engine seems to consume about 1qt/1,000 miles of oil. this is considered normal.
3.) At about 52,500 miles I got a CEL and was found to be intake manifold gasket leak. Both gaskets and bolts replaced under warranty.
3.) Drivers side seat bolster wear is excessive. Dealer did a restain/condition free of charge.
4.) OE rear tires only lasted 5,000 miles. Never had a car go through tires like this thing. The torque is fun though.

Last edited by b16; 10-10-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
is a cpo car basically only cars sold used from a mercedes lot that have been certified?
it is exactly that.

and is there any way to steer clear of this head bolt issue? or any way to prevent it?
you could search the car's history to see if the bolts have been replaced.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
you could search the car's history to see if the bolts have been replaced.
or buy a 2011+ car
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by b16
or buy a 2011+ car
lol, yeah, that would solve the problem alright. OP said the 2011+ was out of his budget range.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...s-c63-amg.html
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
I had a 2009 non P30 which was flawless until 32,000 miles when I sold it. The only issue I had was the leather on one of the seat backs starting coming off which was fixed under warranty. The other issue, which is common among MB's, was the funky smell coming from the AC. That also was fixed once under warranty and another time not.

I currently have a 2012 P31 coupe with 4000 miles on it. No issues so far although that funky AC smell has reared it's head once. The MCT transmission is definitely a little more jerky than the 2009, but it shifts much faster.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
stuck fuel injectors and hydro-locked cylinders (dealer words). Required extensive tear down to look for bent parts, they say none. Car ran for a while blowing gas out of the exhaust and huge smoke clouds. Replaced fuel injectors, fuel rails, spark plugs and coils. I ditched the car very soon afterwards.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
I had a 2009 non P30 which was flawless until 32,000 miles when I sold it. The only issue I had was the leather on one of the seat backs starting coming off which was fixed under warranty. The other issue, which is common among MB's, was the funky smell coming from the AC. That also was fixed once under warranty and another time not.

I currently have a 2012 P31 coupe with 4000 miles on it. No issues so far although that funky AC smell has reared it's head once. The MCT transmission is definitely a little more jerky than the 2009, but it shifts much faster.
what is this funky smell you are referring to so i can look out for it? All i get is the sweet smell of genuine leather when I drive the car.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 PM

volvo
I ditched the car very soon afterwards
Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
Our 2009 had two difficult CEL problems early on, finally solved. The grill will come loose when hand washing. Otherwise trouble free @ 20K. Lousy snow car as anticipated.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
I just picked up a 2013, and immediately noticed an issue with the idle. It intermittently idles rough. I don't know how to explain it, let's just say there is a slight bouncy feeling every 2 seconds or so. RPM doesn't fluctuate much, but it does.

Taking her in on Tuesday as we are closed for Holidays here.

Any ideas?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
I've had more problems with my car than with all other of my cars combined. My problems have been everything from the AC, HEAVY creaking, seatbelt not working, door sills lamps not working, gps antenna broken, the phone software of the command broken and probably a lot more i can't remember.
HOWEVER, this is still the best car i've ever owned and i have never regretted buying it.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ahmed
I just picked up a 2013, and immediately noticed an issue with the idle. It intermittently idles rough. I don't know how to explain it, let's just say there is a slight bouncy feeling every 2 seconds or so. RPM doesn't fluctuate much, but it does.

Taking her in on Tuesday as we are closed for Holidays here.

Any ideas?
i have the same exact issue, accompanied by a very faint knocking sound. ive taken it to the dealer multiple times. all they managed to do is replace a tranny mount, but same problem still exists. i can live with a strange noise, as long as it doesn't mean something is about to break . so far, it's just been a strange noise.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
I must be one of the lucky ones...

No issues after I bought my 2009 3 months ago. Just gas and go, gas and go. On next Saturday I'll do my first oil change with this car.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:37 PM

2012 C63
replaced throttle valve and intake pipe at 5000 miles on my 2012. Other than that no major problems. 8000 miles now and car hasn't consumed any oil so far.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 AM

2006 E350
Smile Complaints Website

You can also post complaints on:

http://www.facebook.com/MercedesBenzComplaints

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How reliable, or not, has your car been? Post experiences bad or good.