C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Modified Smog Equipment ticket-SoCal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home the point
Ouch, glad I don't live in the people's republic of california. I do love to visit from time to time however
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Just another reason not to live in California, with a state controlled by so many liberals you're always screwed.
And they doubled down this election!!!!!

Well, when you have more takers than makers, this is what happens.

Leaving the state is fortunately much easier than leaning the country.

To add something constructive:
I have held our getting LTH for the very reason to avoid what just happened to the OP. What happened to him could have happened at a visual smog inspection. The only CARB approved device I know of that is between the intake and output is Weistec supercharger.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Knowingly bringing a modified car to a referee is a bad idea. This can go very wrong in a lot of ways.

You’ll pay an initial inspection fee. After the car is returned back to stock, it will have to be inspected again. You’ll pay that inspection fee as well. After the referee determines the car is missing smog equipment they will inform the state that you knowing modified smog equipment. You'll know because your next two (or three) vehicle registration renewals will require that you pass smog and you'll have to go to a California test only station. Also, it is at the referee's discretion to ban the vehicle from operation until repairs are made. That ban can include making you have the car towed from their premises. When you appear in court, you’ll probably be fined under 42001.14 (about $100) plus the state fee. The judge can also fine you under sections 27156 and 38390 (plus state fees for each).

27156 (d) states "If the court finds that a person has willfully violated this section, the court shall impose the maximum fine that may be imposed in the case, and no part of the fine may be suspended."

Most judges know the statutes are there and will use them if they are trying to make a point. California's endless 'budget crises' has courts collecting as much money as possible from every available resource.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
And they doubled down this election!!!!!

Well, when you have more takers than makers, this is what happens.

Leaving the state is fortunately much easier than leaning the country.
We need more people like you in CA (and the US)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by eahillen
So I got my headers put on 7 days ago up at ACG in San Diego-- who did an incredible job at an incredible price. 3 days ago I got pulled over from a cop as I pulled out of my driveway apparently he was was driving down the street I live on and he heard the cold start and gas I put into her to warm it up a bit.

Lame situation but he gave me a ticket for modified smog equipment and I have to take it to a state referee now so my question to anyone with experience is it better to go back to stock before I go to the referee or show up as is to buy time.

Also has anyone ever put their own long tube headers on or off? Is it a labor intensive task? I have a decent mechanical know how and a fairly extensive garage. Thanks Eric
Marcus is right.
Point one. The cop was being a dick (big suprise here) and the Peoples Republic of California sucks.
Point two. Go back to stock before you see the referee whos only job is to find you guilty.
Point three. Bring a stock exhaust parts list and diagram with you with lots of picture of your stock exhaust installed.

Long tube headers are a PIA to put on and take off. Go back to ACG and explain the situation and I'm sure they will help you out.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 11-16-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM

c63amg
Cali require smoke check on car with 5 year and older right?
Do they inspection/smoke check every year?
Please let me know guys.
Thank you.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Every other year. If you're bringing a car into the state for the first time, you have to smog it before you can register it regardless of how new it is.