C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Exhaust Experts...Please Come In

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
C63
Exhaust Experts...Please Come In

I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but I'm hoping to get a general consensus answer.

I want to keep the "AMG sound", but make the exhaust a bit louder. I read in another thread about an H Pipe, but I need to know exactly what I should be telling the exhaust shop I need done as I have no knowledge of this stuff and therefore can not really explain it to them.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Fiat Abarth
H pipe will re ove the resonator (louder) and keep the gargely sound you like .. just tell them to fabricate an H pipe for you, VERY easy job
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM

C63
So tell them to put an H pipe in place of the resonator? I tried to talk to someone earlier today, but he didn't really know what I wanted to do and was mentioning resonators and cats. Also, what would be an expected price to pay for all of this?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 PM

2013 Fiat Abarth

ok so it goes like this ..

exhaust tips --> muffler --> resonator --> mid-pipes --> header/manifold

getting a different any of these will increase the sound because it's such huge engine .. the biggest difference is headers and cat delete .. but to some it's too much, what you want is a resonator delete which will give you more C63 sounds .. an H-pipe makes it more gargely, and an X-pipe, like i have in my agency power setup will give you that too but not as much. or you could go straight pipes, that one is self explanatory :P
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM

C63
Yeah I don't want it to be toooooo loud. Thanks for all the help. Do you know what I should expect to pay for that? Doesn't look like it should be too hard...also, do I have to specify that I want stainless steel or something? I think I read about that somewhere earlier too.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
If you don't want it to be too loud, keep the resonators.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Delete your 2nd cats and leave u res on.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 AM

C63
is all of this reversible in case i don't end up liking the way it sounds?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Delete the 2nd cat and put n H pipe. I was trying to do a group buy but I didn't get enough people to get it
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM

C63
still confused...does the H pipe go in place of the resonators?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E63S (due in May), 2013 GTR, 2013 Exige S
Originally Posted by c63edition1

ok so it goes like this ..

exhaust tips --> muffler --> resonator --> mid-pipes --> header/manifold

getting a different any of these will increase the sound because it's such huge engine .. the biggest difference is headers and cat delete .. but to some it's too much, what you want is a resonator delete which will give you more C63 sounds .. an H-pipe makes it more gargely, and an X-pipe, like i have in my agency power setup will give you that too but not as much. or you could go straight pipes, that one is self explanatory :P

Hi, also thanks for your valuable info. (with a photo just make it perfect).

I m always confused, when you say "cat. delete", does it mean deleting the resonator alone? Or Resonator + mid-pipe. Also , what does it mean when someone says "delete 2nd cat."? Is there a 1st cat.?

Appreciated for all helps.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Question

Originally Posted by lap time
Hi, also thanks for your valuable info. (with a photo just make it perfect).

I m always confused, when you say "cat. delete", does it mean deleting the resonator alone? Or Resonator + mid-pipe. Also , what does it mean when someone says "delete 2nd cat."? Is there a 1st cat.?

Appreciated for all helps.
I'll be honest, I don't know squat about cars when it comes to actual mechanicals. I could know how to use absolutely every little tip and trick on a car but when it comes to fixing/tinkering with the engine, suspension, exhaust, etc.etc. I'm useless.

After readings a ton of threads about exhausts I still have no clue what is what. Is there anyone willing to do a detailed (the one above helped but still has me lost) labeled pic with explanation of our C63 exhaust for us newbies? Like the OP I want to make my car a BIT louder, not too loud, while keeping the stock C63 sound (maybe some more gurgles and pops). To that end I would hate to go in to an exhaust shop and get ripped a new one or cheated because I don't know what I am looking for or even asking what needs to be done.

Basically what I am saying is I (and I think many more users) would love a detailed explanation with pics of a stock C63 exhaust and then a do-this-if-you-want-these results type of explanation (ie. if you add an H pipe you get this, an X pipe you get this, remove cats you get this (ps. no idea what doing any of those does).

If anyone is willing to undertake this I would greatly appreciate it (and it might stop so many exhaust threads!)
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
I was interested in getting an H pipe done too but I couldnt find a shop that was willing to do it for me. I am about to suck it up and spend the 600 or so for the pre made x pipe now LOL (even tho thats so over priced...u can get full exhausts for like tuner cars for that price -__-)

from what i understand the res has a H in it, so if u want the exact sound but louder delete 2nd cats with straights and res with H (thats what I was trying to do...but seems like i cant find a shop )

I also went to one performance shop and they wanted 1500 for their fabricated x pipe, install and resonator delete which i thought was really pricey.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Quickest way to keep the AMG sound but make it louder is delete 2ndary cats with straight pipes (aggressive) or something a little toned down (less aggressive but louder than stock) is to put a custom X-pipe. Don't touch the resonator it has a small H-pipe and is the foundation for its sound. All these changes I mentioned require cutting. Also you can do cat-back exhaust (resonator back or mufflers back), but this changes the exhaust sound completely and usually expensive.

Picture goes like this...not what was previously mentioned.
(from bottom to top of picture)
Exhaust manifolds > Primary cats > Secondary Cats > resonator (mini-H) > muffler > exhaust tips

Last edited by BerBer63; 12-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM

2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Replied to your pm bro!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BerBer63
Quickest way to keep the AMG sound but make it louder is delete 2ndary cats with straight pipes (aggressive) or something a little toned down (less aggressive but louder than stock) is to put a custom X-pipe. Don't touch the resonator it has a small H-pipe and is the foundation for its sound. All these changes I mentioned require cutting. Also you can do cat-back exhaust (resonator back or mufflers back), but this changes the exhaust sound completely and usually expensive.

Exhaust manifolds > Primary cats > Secondary Cats > resonator (mini-H) > muffler > exhaust tips

Thanks dude!!!

Now I get it when people say 1st cat. 2nd cat. resonator and so on...!!

Cool.

I also heard that in fact the AMG exhaust is already very good. Just delete 2nd cat. and / or do some minor mod. with the muffler (not replacing it but mod. it the original one) would give you some amazing results and yet you get to keep the AMG exhaust note as well.

Is it true guys?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM

For exactly how to mod. the original AMG muffler I would have to ask my friend...he did that with his M3 but I heard it was a rather quick & easy job. After that you can have a louder deep AMG sound.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Either delete the resonators and replace them with an X pipe or remove the secondary cats and replace them with an X pipe. An H pipe gives you no scavenging effect. In either case your going to have to cut your stock exhaust in one place.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe

Great Post!!! Look no further this is exactly what you need to know.
As stated do yourself a favor and do not mess with the stock resonator it really is a great piece and it will keep the sound clean. Any resonator deletes ive seen are al raspy/hollow/snotty not something an AMG should sound like. Im personally doing a secondary cat delete and replacing it with a straight run of (2) 12" bullet resonators so i will have no cats(straight pipe) going into bullet resonators and than thru the stock resonator and stock muffler. You can just do an x pipe for a less aggressive sound or straight pipe with no resonator for an aggressive sound.

Also something not mentioned... adding or deleting resonators does not affect flow or power as they are strictly made for acoustic purposes. cats on the other hand are for emission purposes and affect flow and power so not only will you get sound but as a side effect you will get extra torque and power throughout the whole RPM band.

dont mess with the stock mufflers either they are a great piece and owners of other amg such as e/sl/cl/cls 63/55's replace their mufflers with the c63 mufflers because of theyre great sound characteristics. The only thing i would do is replace it with a cat back like eissenmann or any other reputable exhaust manufacturer but this will be a more expensive option and no power would be added as in with a cat delete.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63C, 2011 C63
Here is a video I found with the secondary cats replaced with straight pipes and the resonator intact.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM

So, i think I have deleted the resonator, correct?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 AMG Package, 2015 C300, 2016 WRX
replace 2nd cats with x-pipe and replace resonators with straight pipes you will be happy 100% with new sound.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8

Best explaination I've heard. 100% agree.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I did the same set up but I ran a small H in my cat delete pipes. I ran straight pipes and it was too loud and got old very fast. As soon as I added the H along with the tiny H in the resonator the car sounded great here's a link and pic

Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63

That's with a 21/4 H in the middle of the straight pipes.

Last edited by Mikegpr03; 12-16-2012 at 07:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experts...Please Come In