Not Another Headbolt Coolant Issue!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
lol. blame? that's exactly what's wrong with today's society. someone needs to be blamed. that's not what I am saying at all. we, nor mb, can change the fact that their SUPPLIER screwed up the head bolts.....what, you think a car manuf forges their own bolts???? no.... all we have control over is our own thoughts and actions. that's all I am saying. you can't change the past, neither can mb. they are handling it exactly as any other manuf would. warranty or goodwill. btw, no goodwill coverage is 100%. then it wouldn't be goodwill, it would be warranty, which they said already expired. then they get sued for secret warranty.

it came out cheaper because it was warranty pricing, not customer pay pricing. warranty companies and manuf really lowball the dealer on warranty work. usually it takes longer to do the job than the labor hours they get paid.
You clearly have very little knowledge on the subject.

It has nothing to do with the metallurgy. Its a design flaw on MB part/design. They used a female torque bolt when it should have been a male torque like the revised design.

Bhamg has done a lot for this issue and brought it to the attention of many people.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Merc63
You clearly have very little knowledge on the subject.

It has nothing to do with the metallurgy. Its a design flaw on MB part/design. They used a female torque bolt when it should have been a male torque like the revised design.

Bhamg has done a lot for this issue and brought it to the attention of many people.
do you have the white papers outlining mercedes decision to design and use the old bolt?

and even if it doesn't matter, I am not attacking anyone's method of information dissemination. if bhamg has brought this matter to light for many people that is great. what does that have to do with anything I have said? I am talking about something much bigger than a basic head bolt issue. I am talking about a mentality.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
OK merc , what the hell is a female torque bolt... one who is violated as opposed to a male torque bolt who does the vilolating? Many are waiting for you to 'splain' it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
A female torx bolt head, would have you insert a tool INSIDE the head to turn it.

A male torx bolt head would have the tool clasp around the head to turn it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
The issue is with the bolt on the right. (The female)

If you looked at the cross section of the bolt. The area where the tool goes into the head is down enough that it only leaves a thin surrounding of metal to keep the head on the bolt.

The revised design on the left (male) is one continuous piece which would be stronger.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
[QUOTE=Merc63;5563628]The issue is with the bolt on the right. (The female)

If you looked at the cross section of the bolt. The area where the tool goes into the head is down enough that it only leaves a thin surrounding of metal to keep the head on the bolt.

The revised design on the left (male) is one continuous piece which would be stronger.

Merc, thanks, so the failed females look sucked into the head/block when removed? And can they be removed in the over-stretched condition? I guess I should read the longer standing thread to learn more. You guys are scaring me. How could teutonic metallurgy reach such a low?