Sponsored by:

How to verify OEM replacement part per insurance claim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
How to verify OEM replacement part per insurance claim

I recently filed a comprehensive claim on my policy related to a bunch of rock chip damage to the front of my car. At highway speeds I ran into a wall of bouncing pebbles either falling off of or kicked up by a tractor trailer.

My hood now has numerous significant chip marks as well as tons of tiny blemishes. Prior to this I had one annoying mark and a few tinies. The front fascia has two holes in it, windshield has impact blemishes, headlights have impact blemishes, foglights also. Backside of the side mirrors same thing. There's more chips elsewhere but I'll stop here for now.

The original estimate is just under $7,500 - and that of course is the adjuster's best effort to low ball the claim. I am aware that this claim/repair is going to initiate a CarFax on my VIN and I want to minimize the damage to the future resale value of my car. I have a right to demand OEM parts used in the repair (headlights, foglights, windshield, outside mirrors) but how do I verify that the parts that arrive at the body shop are indeed OEM?

The adjuster put down 'refurbished' headlights - oh ***** no!! They of course are looking to use the cheapest of everything so I can't trust them. The body shop comes with high praise from a couple of referrals to go there so I have more confidence in them - but I also know there's a limit to their loyalty to me as they'll do what is best for them.

So again I ask - how can I verify with my own eyes that the parts to be used are OEM before they are installed? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Body shop estimator program

Your body shop should have an estimator program that lists all the parts necessary for the repair and their origin. Generally they will have to buy MB parts through your dealer so you can check with the latter part dept. and see what parts they are supplying.

Did the body shop prepare the estimate first and then have the adjuster work with them? What's the insurance company?

After you get the car repaired I would get 3M or Ventureshield applied to the car. It would ameliorate most of these dings if something like this happens in the future.

BTW you can deduct diminshed value from your taxes.

Last edited by grane; 02-09-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM

2010 C63
The insurance company is State Farm. I have never made a claim with them so this is the first. The shop owner said he is on the verge of posting a sign "We don't accept claims through State Farm". They are frustrated with dealing with SF adjusters.

I spoke with the body shop prior to calling SF and they suggested just have the insurance adjuster write up the claim and they'll battle over the details with SF after that. The adjuster had the estimator program and it listed refurbished parts for nearly everything major (as listed in op). Even the windshield was going to be second rate.

I spoke with the body shop and discussed in detail my desire/insistence to have OEM parts and they seemed to be on my side. That's great, but I still want to see and verify with my own eyes that the parts are OEM before they install them.

Your suggestion to verify through MB dealership is a great start, thanks. But when holding the part(s) in my hands how do I verify headlights, fog lights, windshield, and outside mirrors?

With a pending CarFax report on my VIN I want to be able to show future buyers IT WAS JUST ROCK CHIPS not a collision. So yes I have dated photos of the state of the car. No collision just superficial stuff.

I'll look into both the windshield treatments and talk to CPA about how to do DV through taxes. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
VS and 3m go on the bodywork and lights only. In some states it is illegal to put the clear film on your windshield "for your safety." Your installer would know.

Don't oversweat the verification. If the BS says the parts are OEM consider trusting them. They can run their own estimate using OEM parts and you/they can present this to the adjuster.

I'm surprised you didn't get "steered" to a SF shop...

Last edited by grane; 02-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
From body shops I have worked with and spoken to, State Farm is supposed to be top notch and always using first rate OEM parts with no questions asked...???!!!!!

You can also request to inspect all parts before installation. Stay firm and keep requesting your desires...
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM

2010 C63
Yes, inspect all parts prior to installation. That is the gist of my question. When holding a headlight, fog light, etc what will I look for to verify that it is OEM? I am not expecting every part to have "Mercedes-Benz" printed on them (although that would be helpful).
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
From body shops I have worked with and spoken to, State Farm is supposed to be top notch and always using first rate OEM parts with no questions asked...???!!!!!

You can also request to inspect all parts before installation. Stay firm and keep requesting your desires...
That's BS. They wanted to give me used parts when I filed a comprehensive claim with them and they lowballed me like you have no clue. I ended up replacing everything out of my pocket.. Final bill was $7500.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes each part, if looked at carefully has a little MB star with a part number. Unless its a screw, bold, bracket or small piece, that should assure you...
Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM

2010 C63
MB & the star on major parts? That's too good to be true. That's just too easy. That's great news and exactly what I would hope for.

And they did try to steer me to a preferred shop but they know I get to choose. Their claims department spit out a form letter to me letting me know that I have the right (Texas) to pick my shop and have OEM parts. That's their letter, but then the adjuster writes in cheap refurbished parts.

I just want to make sure my car is back to original as possible. Truly, the MB and Star on parts is exactly what I'd hope for.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Notice Star and part number....
Old 02-09-2013, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Who eve makes refurbished headlights?? Never heard of those on the w204.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 PM

2010 C63
Don't know who makes refurbished parts. I just know I (we all) don't want them. Thanks for the pic. Yes I see the star. That is reassuring and exactly what I hoped I would find.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
refurbished just means used usually from total losses, the best way is to take it to your dealerships certified repair facility since they are required to only use OEM parts, Second you can ask to visually verify all the parts before they are installed. The boxes are very easy to determine as they have holographic seals of authenticity on most of them and will says Mercedes original in English/German Insurance companies are snakes they will put just about anything in your vehicle to save a dime. Lots of times the prices are not even far off from oem they just get so used to using after-market/used they don't care to compare pricing. Oh and regarding state farm being a pain in the *** the dealer I worked for had to remove them from their "service first" (which state farm will allow you to take it there immediately without inspection, big money generator for the shop) list because they are so demanding and require them to do things that they should not or cannot due to their certification.

http://www.mbcollisioncenters.com/index.html

Last edited by JonMBZ; 02-09-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Insurance companies are snakes they will put just about anything in your vehicle to save a dime. Lots of times the prices are not even far off from oem they just get so used to using after-market/used they don't care to compare pricing. Oh and regarding state farm being a pain in the *** the dealer I worked for had to remove them from their "service first" (which state farm will allow you to take it there immediately without inspection, big money generator for the shop) list because they are so demanding and require them to do things that they should not or cannot due to their certification.
I was once insured with SF for one of my BMW's. The windshield suffered a rock chip which turned into a 9" crack by the time I drove another mile. SF insisted on using aftermarket glass despite my having a $250 deductible on the job. I went to the supplier to look at their replacement glass - the tint color was off and I could see distortion along the curve. Only after I got two quotes myself using aftermarket glass and one luckily being $33 over the cost of using OEM glass did SF relent and approve the OEM dealer job. That BMW store used their own on-staff technician, all BMW-specified materials and tools as well as insisting on keeping the car overnight on the shop floor so as to ensure an undisturbed cure. Pretty lame IMO on the part of SF.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Just FYI.. Refurbished = OEM, just used OEM. As someone else noted, the parts probably come from a total loss vehicle. If OEM refurbished parts are not available, then new OEM parts are used.

In general, for Refurbished non moving OEM parts are fine (cases, housings, body panels etc) especially when they are going to be sanded and painted, I however would not accept any Refurbished moving parts (radiator fans, alternators, etc etc).
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
might be an overlooked question but how come you are not taking it to a MB dealer or at least a MB approved bodyshop?

I am not sure what colour your car is but alot of the colours can be tricky to colour match... even with the blending they do afterwards.With my obsidian black paint, I always insist on going to a MB apporved shop to do any painting... figured less headache afterwards and you know there is at least a standard of quality to their work.

and on top of that... the MB approved bodyshops will generally use oem parts... imo unless you know this bodyshop personally or have dealt with them in the past... take whatever they say with a grain of salt... I've had too many instances where they say one thing before work and afterwards they do something else... always messy.

good luck tho!