C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my Black Series to a road course...epic win!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLC63s
Finally got my Black Series to a road course...epic win!

So ever since August when i purchased my BS, i've wanted to get it to the track because i could tell it would just be a blast on it...and boy was i right!

I typically drive a high HP GT-R on the track, but my friend who is a member at one of the tracks in the area was able to get us on track for one of the member days there today, and the GT-R is in the shop, so i figured now would be a perfect time to try it out. I was a bit worried about the temperature being low (the high today was 45 but it didn't really get much over 40 for the majority of the day), but i figured I might as well give it a try anyways.

From the start i could tell it was a completely different animal than the GT-R. Obviously i've known that from the beginning just from driving it on the street, but the longer the day went, the more the car continued to impress me.

There seem to be two main complaints that people who have reviewed the car for various magazines and television shows have had, which im sure all of you know: 1. All the car does is spin the tires and can't get any power down, and 2. The manual mode in the transmission is really difficult not to redline on. After driving it all day today, I can tell you that both of those are pretty inaccurate.

Now keep in mind, i was driving on the normal street tires(i have upgraded to Potenza S-04 Pole Positions but they arent a whole lot better than the stock Dunlops), in 30-40 degree weather the whole day, but as long as i was careful rolling into the throttle coming out of the turns, I was able to put down every bit of power to the ground, without even a hint of wheelspin. Yes, there were times when i got a bit anxious and got on it a little early, and ended up throwing the rear out a bit, but the car is so controlled it was extremely easy to get right back on line. Don't get it twisted; It WILL drift totally on demand, at any time you want it to, and i had a ton of fun experimenting with that, but overall as long as i paid attention, i had no issues with it getting squirrely at all.

As far as the transmission, I actually don't know that there was a single time that i redlined trying to upshift coming out of a turn...i was really conscious of making sure that i shifted slightly earlier than i would have normally, and maybe thats why, but it never really was an issue for me all day. The only problem i did have with the trans was that for some reason, when braking at the end of the fast straight towards the end of the day, it had a bit of difficult shifting from 4-3, and had to click the paddle several times on a few laps to get it to actually make the shift. But other than that, the trans was great.

The thing that impressed me the most was just how fast it was. I was in a run group with some very good drivers, and managed to be faster than a 2011 GT3RS(not the 4.0), a few track modded corvettes on slicks, a really quick Exige S 250, among other cars. I know that a lot of times its about the driver, but like i said all the guys there today were at least pretty good. Far as times went, I ran about 7-8 seconds slower than i normally do on this track in my GT-R, which has suspension upgrades, R compound tires, and about 150 more bhp on its track map. Since the pavement was cold all day, i probably lost another second or so over a normal time. Honestly, with some better tires, a bit of a brake upgrade particularly in the lines and fluid, and maybe a slight suspension upgrade, I think this car could run within maybe 4 seconds of my GT-R, which is impressive considering it's run within .5 secs of the NASA GTS4 and GTS5 race car records on that track last year.

All and all, i was just super impressed with the car, it was an absolute joy to drive on the track, and I can't WAIT for the next event i get to try it on. Sorry if this was a bit long, and thanks for reading ha.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Which track did you go to? Glad you got to unleash the beast
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Great write up but I have one question, you talk about the tires being the stock Dunlops that came with the car, my BS came with Dunlop Sportmaxx tires with an 80 treadwear rating, some of the stickest tires in the world, sorry to break it to you but your Potenzas were not an upgrade over thestock 80tdw Sportmaxx
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just thought of something, does your BS have aero and track package? Only the aero and track package cars came with the Dunlop DOT R compound 80tdw tires so your Potenzas might indeed be an better option if you do not have the factoey track package tire.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
The track pack is what gets you the Dunlops, along with the diff cooler. Don't need aero pack to get the sticky tires.

On the street, the Dunlops aren't that much stickier than normal summer tires. It's on the track where there's a huge difference.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rage2
The track pack is what gets you the Dunlops, along with the diff cooler. Don't need aero pack to get the sticky tires.

On the street, the Dunlops aren't that much stickier than normal summer tires. It's on the track where there's a huge difference.
So what is the non track package tire? Is it a harder compound Dunlop? I have not see an non track package car in person and never paid attention on the forums. I agree with you that on the street the are nothing special, never really able to get them up to operating temp. My new Pilot Cups are the same way, Pilot Cups are a smoother rolling tire, the Dunlops have a hum and the Pilots do not.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 AM

2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by jrcart
So what is the non track package tire? Is it a harder compound Dunlop? I have not see an non track package car in person and never paid attention on the forums. I agree with you that on the street the are nothing special, never really able to get them up to operating temp. My new Pilot Cups are the same way, Pilot Cups are a smoother rolling tire, the Dunlops have a hum and the Pilots do not.
I misspoke, as it was an extremely long day yesterday for me ha.

The tires that my car originally came with were the continentals; The dunlops do indeed come as part of the track pack, which my car does not have.

Also, the track was Thunderbolt at New Jersey Motorsports Park
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Congrats!!
These cars are an absolute BLAST on the track! They will surprise even the most experienced and quickest drivers sometimes. As you said its all about control. They will do pretty much what you want them to do but they can be very controlled and fast. Get some R6 Hoosiers, suspension upgrades and a few extra ponies and then see what you think!! Again, great to see others tracking their cars!

Be safe and enjoy!!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THanks for the report. Can't wait to take mine out.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM

2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
THanks for the report. Can't wait to take mine out.
+1
I'm taking mine to the track, in a couple of weeks, and can't wait.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
Nice write up jbizzy. Did you drive in S+? It's not as gratifying to drive but, you might drop your time a few more tenths. I also get that occasional hesitant down shift in M mode but when I drove my Coupe in S+ at willow springs, it shifted perfectly all day better than i could ever time my shift points. I put on some AD08s 255/285 and like yourself beat a lot of guys with heavily modded hooser slicked vipers. Only one of the vipers and my friend in his McLaren beat me. When I had my GTR I was planted to the ground with more grip and was faster at the same track, but the C 63 was more challenging and fun. Sliding in a 4 wheel drift to the edge of the tarmac is fun and easier to do in this car. I can only imagine how much better and more controlled one would be in a BS.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:48 PM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
Actually two vipers and a McLaren beat me, but you get the idea. Those other guys were too busy concentrating on their heal and toe down shifts.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM

2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by AMG9
Nice write up jbizzy. Did you drive in S+? It's not as gratifying to drive but, you might drop your time a few more tenths. I also get that occasional hesitant down shift in M mode but when I drove my Coupe in S+ at willow springs, it shifted perfectly all day better than i could ever time my shift points. I put on some AD08s 255/285 and like yourself beat a lot of guys with heavily modded hooser slicked vipers. Only one of the vipers and my friend in his McLaren beat me. When I had my GTR I was planted to the ground with more grip and was faster at the same track, but the C 63 was more challenging and fun. Sliding in a 4 wheel drift to the edge of the tarmac is fun and easier to do in this car. I can only imagine how much better and more controlled one would be in a BS.
Actually I drove it the entire day in manual mode. When I was heading to the track, initially I was planning on using manual mode in the beginning and then trying sport + afterwards, but ended up being impressed enough with the manual mode that I didn't end up using the auto mode at all. Yeah, the gtr is definitely faster, but its hard for me to compare mine because its so highly modified. I definitely had entirely more fun driving the black series than I ever have driving the gtr however. The sliding of the black really is great; the sport mode traction control gives it enough leeway that you can get completely sideways through the whole turn, but it won't over-rotate and have u staring at oncoming traffic. It's also extremely easy to get back on line; just a small correction and it straightens right back up.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM

2019 GLC63s
a few vids from the day...first video is from my car view during one of the slower sessions in the morning. Unfortunately i have a GoPro Hero3 Black which is apparently very buggy and only recorded about 20 minutes throughout the whole day.

Second one is from the view of an Exige S260 that was on track with us that day...you can also see my friend's 335 endurance race car in a few of the vids, it was pretty fast, was running a consistent 1-2 seconds faster than i was...better tires or a bit more seat time though and i wouldve probably been running about the same as him

Last edited by Jbizzy21; 03-24-2013 at 05:31 PM.