C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Widening Rear Wheel Arches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
C63
Widening Rear Wheel Arches

As we all pretty much know, the C63 has drastically more puny rear fenders than the front fenders. A while ago C-63AMG posted some pictures after he had the rear fenders widended. I believe he had them cut and whatnot, but they looked a lot better and he was able to fit a much wider wheel and tire back there than he would otherwise be able to. I've resisted getting new wheels, because I wanted to do this first so I can then weigh all my wheel options and get the perfect set.

I have since then been referred to some guy on Craigslist near me that "rolls and pulls" fenders. I sent him the following two pictures and asked if he could make the orange car look like the silver car:

He said he could definitely make it happen by first rolling the fenders and then pulling them. Estimated work time is about 1-2 hours. He referred me to his Facebook page where I could see some of his work and I guess it looks pretty good: https://www.facebook.com/#!/RolledByP?fref=ts . He quoted me a total of $50 per roll and $20 per pull so $140 for the whole thing. This is a lot less than what C-63AMG said he had paid (about $1700) so obviously I'm a bit weary. He has worked on an IS-F before though and a Ferrari 360 which kind of makes me feel a slight bit better.

Basically, what I need to know is this: will this get me the desired look? Is it worth looking into this even further? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
You would need to add material to flare the fender, which is what was done in the pictures above. You can't just stretch it

The fender roller will just roll the lip but you won't be able to flare it too much without distorting the metal.

Good luck...you get what you pay for...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan

From what I know they use a lot of heat to stretch it out. I think the outside is original metal and its supported on the inside. As you can see I think Sam;s car was taken out to the maximum extent.

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 03-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG

From what I know they use a lot of heat to stretch it out. I think the outside is original metal and its supported on the inside. As you can see I think Sam;s car was taken out to the maximum extent.

does this process affect the paint? theoretically it should wouldnt it? same about of paint agent over a larger surface area.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Everything is heated and shape is changed, therefor paint is heated and will assume the new shape. However I have seen flaking before on crappy jobs that were not heated properly...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
I would ask him if he's ever worked on a C63 before and show you some pics of that? Being able to quote you (a ridiculously low price) without seeing the car, the arch and the other car is no way professional in my opinion.

I agree with Callimiro, you cannot just pull it and get anyway near that look. You need to add material to it and getting that smooth finish takes good work. Not saying the guy cannot do it but if he's charging that price, budget in two new rear arches - or at least one cause after he's done the one, I am sure he won't proceed with the other until your approval.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM

C63
edit:

Never mind. I should have waited an extra second to post. I'm guessing I'd be better off finding a legitimate body shop that can do this, but that might be more troublesome.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
there are a lot of factors to consider in doing this . i was going to go widebody also but after talking to Josh , i actually decided against the added cost for very little gain IMO . we basically have the same setup or had the same setup . i have the Stage 3 making well over 600whp and he told me that he still spins the hell out of his setup with 11" wide rears . i figured since my car is a weekend , highway toy , the extra money could go towards better mods . i would do some heavy investigating and thinking before pulling the trigger . plus , how much wider of a wheel are you planning on getting for the rear ? when you start going to a custom width , you could be talking about serious cost....depending on the wheel manufacturer

you need to decide how far you are going to go with modding the vehicle and take it from there
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM

c63, '65 buick riviera, '65 impala, s63
well known fender rolling/ pulling guy here in miami would not do the rears because he said really wasnt enough lip or material to work with ....there is some to work with but very little....but if you decide to do this....would like pics of the process
Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM

C63 AMG
Bad430, I don't think it's just about being able to fit 295, 305, 315, 325 or whatever depending on how far you go with it. I think look is also important. I don't know how MB got our arches so wrong. The fronts are great and the rears are pretty much a straight line down - i.e. non existant. Fatter tires also look nice

Look at the RS4, RS6, M3, M5 etc. They all have proper rear arches. The Genisis does as does the Mustang, Camaro etc etc.

Last edited by C-63AMG; 03-27-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Everything is heated and shape is changed, therefor paint is heated and will assume the new shape. However I have seen flaking before on crappy jobs that were not heated properly...
Moving along with this topic, I had my fenders rolled on my Sti when I had that. As long as the paint is heated up enough the fenders would roll like butter and the paint would be fine. That guys facebook page also seems to prove he knows what he is doing and is good at it.

For those commenting on price you're looking at two completely different pieces of work. $50-$100 a fender for a roll and/or pull is actually right where it should be. This is what most people will charge you. The $1700 comes into play when you start adding material and body shop fees + paint, labor etc.

That being said, a good body shop can really set off rear fenders quite nicely. The "right" way would essentially include cutting the rear fender in sections bending those outward. Then, shaping and welding an additional piece of metal on making the flare. Following that up with a ton of grinding/sanding/shaping and top it off with paint. It's tedious, not impossible. The biggest issue I see with doing it is then matching the paint because the rear fender would need to be repainted and matching mercedes paint can be a PITA, so I hear.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SheryarYO
edit:

Never mind. I should have waited an extra second to post. I'm guessing I'd be better off finding a legitimate body shop that can do this, but that might be more troublesome.
aren't you in the DC area? If so try contacting IAG in MD ... they've done great work on cars i've seen at shows or at their shop.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 PM

C63
Originally Posted by driftmotion
aren't you in the DC area? If so try contacting IAG in MD ... they've done great work on cars i've seen at shows or at their shop.
thanks man. just shot them an email. their website just talks about rolling and pulling though. has anyone with a c63 done that? i realize there's not much material to work with, but i'd at least like to see how much of a difference can be made.

also, is $1700ish in the right ballpark to expect to pay for a full cutting job process?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 AM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by SheryarYO
their website just talks about rolling and pulling though. has anyone with a c63 done that?

I had the rear fenders on my C63 rolled with a machine and also slightly stretched (pulled an un-noticeable 5mm) by a body shop.

There are people out there who can do amazing things with metal and could stretch them out but not without making the metal flimsy and impacting on the integrity of the panel.

You’ll need a body shop to add metal and respray the panels to flare them successfully.

Also, rolling the fenders to alleviate rubbing tyres is only part of your woes.

Rubbing isn’t just confined to the tyre making contact with the small inner fender lip.

On lowered cars the tyres can also foul on the brackets that help fasten the rear bar to the quarter panel. Rolling alone won’t stop the tyre from rubbing against the bracket, some modification is required.

The location of the bracket that rubs the tyre.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 PM

C63
unfortunately AIG just got back to me and said they are only able to roll and pull. at this point, i'd prefer to flare them the correct way so does anyone else have any recommendations for a shop in the DC area?

my car isn't lowered yet so i don't think i have to worry about the other stuff yet.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Huracan STO
Originally Posted by callmiro
You would need to add material to flare the fender, which is what was done in the pictures above. You can't just stretch it

The fender roller will just roll the lip but you won't be able to flare it too much without distorting the metal.

Good luck...you get what you pay for...

This would have been my EXACT response. lol
Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 PM

CLK63 Black Series
Unless it's done like the pic above with the heat gun and roller, there is a good chance you will get cracking in the clear coat of the paint.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 PM

2013 C63C
Hi had just completed my C63C 1" quarter extentions. Yes, metal was added, and everyone thinks it's factory. Bumper was also cut and extended 3/4". Great paint match and car is now in shows. I have posted photos of process and finished product a few weeks back on this site.
Ep
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by TCB EP
Hi had just completed my C63C 1" quarter extentions. Yes, metal was added, and everyone thinks it's factory. Bumper was also cut and extended 3/4". Great paint match and car is now in shows. I have posted photos of process and finished product a few weeks back on this site.
Ep
Can you post a link to that thread...would love to see it
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM

C63
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-quarters.html
Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 AM

2013 C63C
Callmiro,

3 weeks ago on Enhanced C63C Quarters. It is on page 7, or 8 by now, of this forum.