C63 owners claiming "too loud" after installing headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
Fellas, recently installed c63 mufflers and resonator in a 2006 E55 with headers and primary cats deleted. Way too loud at WOT (like, ridiculous). Any videos, suggestions, results of this thread?
Thanks,
TK
Add another muffler. Take off the headers. Stick bananas in the tailpipes. I mean, comeon man use some common sense. What did you expect. What do you think is the solution?

Or try the E55 forum.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by crazy63amg
Thanks grave digger, way to drag this one up from the dead.
Because if he were to start a new thread, he will be stoned with "use the search function". Instead, he is continuing the thread which is better
Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E350 (SOLD), 2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by xKryptonite
Because if he were to start a new thread, he will be stoned with "use the search function". Instead, he is continuing the thread which is better
but not even the correct forum, he's an E55 owner. This is not the right area he was looking for.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:55 PM

2006 E55
Thanks grave digger, way to drag this one up from the dead.
Sorry if touchy subject.

Link to the thread on the E55 forum with videos. Several pulls. 2 "solo" and the other one a certain "Mopar" is making all the noise.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6839298

TK
Old 06-22-2016, 01:08 AM

2006 E55
but not even the correct forum, he's an E55 owner. This is not the right area he was looking for.
I just saw some of these responses.
Not even close to what I was expecting....

I guess I thought we were all car guys and shared elements of respect.

Apparently not and kinda disappointing and moreover chicken sh&t...
Old 06-22-2016, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
From what i've heard, apparently the W212 mufflers are much bigger and do a much better job of silencing the car by the tail pipes. Perhaps that might be an idea for the W204 if the mufflers fit your cars?

I'm going to be fitting headers on mine soon, but I'll do it with an X-pipe to help reduce the sound a little further still.

I will agree though that a W204 with headers is insanely loud. It's got that 'look at me' thing about it, which I don't like and if you just want to drive fast by yourself to have a bit of fun, the whole world will know about it. I like the fact that my car is relatively quiet right now. I'm going to miss that
Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 AM

2006 E350 (SOLD), 2010 C63 AMG

Lol wow slow your roll there turbo. It was all in good fun, no one was being a dick or anything. I guess after re-reading that last post it could come off that way but in no way did I mean for it to.

Last edited by C SEXY 3; 06-22-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol wow slow your roll there turbo. It was all in good fun, no one was being a dick or anything. I guess after re-reading that last post it could come off that way but in no way did I mean for it to.

No, actually I was being a dick. Listen, this is not a GENERAL car forum. It is very specific according to car type. If you want a general free-for-all fun forum where we all get to play and say whatever you want for whatever kind of car you have, this ain't the place. Go to the GENERAL section and you'll meet all kinds of people just like you who want to talk about all sorts of random things. Sounds like fun, go at it.

Here's one https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/
Here's another one https://mbworld.org/forums/performan...des-tuning-40/
Here's the best one https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...discussion-22/

But no, people like you will keep coming on here and ask 'car guy questions', just because this is the most heavily-trafficed sub-forum on the site. If we wanted to answer E55 questions, don't you think we would go there and contribute?

Get the **** out of here with your sensitivity. The title of the thread is "C63 owners claiming "too loud" after installing headers". You post something completely unrelated and irrelevant, and it's people like you who continue to contribute to the decline of this forum. What kind of response did you think you're going to get? You put C63 megaphone mufflers on your E55 - what did you think it was going to sound like genius? What do you think your options are? Comeon man, even you can figure this out on your own, and if you can't then don't you think the E55 crowd knows your exhaust configuration better than a bunch of C63 guys where you share only a small 3' part at the end of the exhaust with?

Or, you know, if you want an answer to your question, go to the E55 forum. I'm tired of apologizing to all the butthurt people who come on here with totally irrelevant questions or cars and then get their delicate little feelings hurt. Sorry, not sorry.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 06-22-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
No, actually I was being a dick. Listen, this is not a GENERAL car forum. It is very specific according to car type. If you want a general free-for-all fun forum where we all get to play and say whatever you want for whatever kind of car you have, this ain't the place. Go to the GENERAL section and you'll meet all kinds of people just like you who want to talk about all sorts of random things. Sounds like fun, go at it.

Here's one https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/
Here's another one https://mbworld.org/forums/performan...des-tuning-40/
Here's the best one https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...discussion-22/

But no, people like you will keep coming on here and ask 'car guy questions', just because this is the most heavily-trafficed sub-forum on the site. If we wanted to answer E55 questions, don't you think we would go there and contribute?

Get the **** out of here with your sensitivity. The title of the thread is "C63 owners claiming "too loud" after installing headers". You post something completely unrelated and irrelevant, and it's people like you who continue to contribute to the decline of this forum. What kind of response did you think you're going to get? You put C63 megaphone mufflers on your E55 - what did you think it was going to sound like genius? What do you think your options are? Comeon man, even you can figure this out on your own, and if you can't then don't you think the E55 crowd knows your exhaust configuration better than a bunch of C63 guys where you share only a small 3' part at the end of the exhaust with?

Or, you know, if you want an answer to your question, go to the E55 forum. I'm tired of apologizing to all the butthurt people who come on here with totally irrelevant questions or cars and then get their delicate little feelings hurt. Sorry, not sorry.
This is top notch! My comment was not written out of emotion. Just facts based in the "welcome wagon" of a select few on the C63 owners site.

There is an element of class in this world and the "Golden Rule". Treating people like this (regardless if they drive a E,C,SL or BMW, Tesla, Honda, Toyota, etc) is clear sign of character. I am guessing you operate like this in your day to day affairs as well.

It doesn't appear you read the original thread and my question. In your reply you wrote "You post something completely unrelated and irrelevant..."

Hmm, you may want to go back and read the thread and my question.

What is surprising is you and a select few beat an AMG owner up for "coming over here" then go on to Assassinate the guy with a question tied to the ORIGINAL TOPIC because he doesn't have the EXACT same car. Makes perfect sense...

If we were at a car meet-up and I walked up to you and a group of other C63 owners then started talking on this topic would you say "get the f$@k out of here and go talk to the 55 guys?"

I am guessing "no"...
As a matter of fact my guess we would shake introduce ourselves and shake hands.

My original "on topic" question still stands but let me be more specific; Has anyone installed a muffler in place of their resonator on their C63 to try to quiet things down (this was suggested as a possibility in the original thread)?

Although I am not a c63 owner my sense is the results would be similar as we are talking exhaust systems. I have inquired on the E55 forum and it doesn't appear anyone has tried it.

Thanks to those who have provided some suggestions and ideas.

Last edited by BlackHammer; 06-22-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is top notch! My comment was not written out of emotion. Just facts based in the "welcome wagon" of a select few on the C63 owners site.

There is an element of class in this world and the "Golden Rule" which you lack. Treating people like this (regardless if they drive a MB, BMW, Tesla, Honda, Toyota, etc) is clear sign of character. I am guessing you operate like this in your day to day affairs as well.

It doesn't appear you read the original thread and my question. In your reply you wrote "You post something completely unrelated and irrelevant..."

Hmm, you may want to go back and read the thread and my question.

What is surprising is you and a select few beat an AMG owner up for "coming over here" then go on to Assassinate the guy with a question tied to the ORIGINAL TOPIC because he doesn't have the EXACT same car. Makes perfect sense...

My original "on topic" question still stands but let me be more specific; Has anyone installed a muffler in place of their resonator on their C63 to try to quiet things down (this was suggested as a possibility in the original thread)?

Although I am not a c63 owner my sense is the results would be similar as we are talking exhaust systems. I have inquired on the E55 forum and it doesn't appear anyone has tried it.
I was writing to say I'm sorry for sounding like an *** with that outburst, but comeon man, it's not really related. You might as well go post to a Corvette board for that matter and see how they react because it's just about as related. You have an 'exhaust too loud' issue. Would you post this on a Mustang or BMW forum? What do you think the solution is? It's to muffle the exhaust more. There isn't a magic switch, or sound-deadening fairy dust to sprinkle on your exhaust to make this better. You picked the wrong mufflers - mufflers, which I might add, that are extremely popular in your E55 world. So maybe check there, with people who have done the exact same thing. They will tell you, just like anyone else, to put different or additional mufflers on. It's not that hard to figure out.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I was writing to say I'm sorry for sounding like an *** with that outburst, but comeon man, it's not really related. You might as well go post to a Corvette board for that matter and see how they react because it's just about as related. You have an 'exhaust too loud' issue. Would you post this on a Mustang or BMW forum? What do you think the solution is? It's to muffle the exhaust more. There isn't a magic switch, or sound-deadening fairy dust to sprinkle on your exhaust to make this better. You picked the wrong mufflers - mufflers, which I might add, that are extremely popular in your E55 world. So maybe check there, with people who have done the exact same thing. They will tell you, just like anyone else, to put different or additional mufflers on. It's not that hard to figure out.
Appreciate the words...We are "square"!
Trust me, I know on the mufflers being popular. I posted "crown jewels arrived" on the E55 forum. I have spent more time listening to c63 exhaust compilations on Youtube than I would like to admit...
To a point, I understand your inquiry on "why not go to Corvette or Mustang Forum?" However, I have c63 mufflers and resonators on my car (captain obvious but as do you) and there is a knowledge base here that wouldn't be in the other forums. I recognize the 6.2 is higher compression, etc.

In this thread I included a link to the E55 forum with video's of the sound. I would be interested in perspectives of the sound (which I like) but the noise level is an 11... It is really choppy, glass pack like and almost seems like the baffles are blown.
Thanks for any feedback.
TK
Old 08-11-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63
Originally Posted by AutoTech Racing
This would definitely work in the center section. The internal design is a perforated X-Pipe design.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=10974

I got the dual in dual out magnaflow muffler installed today, it connect to stock resonator, and its sounds really good on low RPM , no more drone ,No more gun fire at cold start, totally stock sounding on C mode on the highway,
BUT, TOTAL F****** FAIL on high RPM, sounds like S*** , high pitch and raspy, nothing like the deep AMG sound!
I'm supper bummed, so options are:

1. Take out the stock resonator - maybe it's too much to have both the 3rd muffler and the resonator.

2. If the internal X pipe caused it, going to two straight mufflers instead like the Borla XR1's

3. Different mufflers at the ends???

I'm at a loss... help!

Last edited by KatchC63; 08-12-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
I have headers, with no cats, straight mid pipes bolting up to the stock resonator and stock back boxes.
It's very loud, but I love it.
The only way to make it less noisy is to fit the Valvetronic rear boxes. Then you can have it loud when you want to, and quiet when you want.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by Savage-wp
I have headers, with no cats, straight mid pipes bolting up to the stock resonator and stock back boxes.
It's very loud, but I love it.
The only way to make it less noisy is to fit the Valvetronic rear boxes. Then you can have it loud when you want to, and quiet when you want.
Nice. Can't wait to get my LTH installed. How is the smell without cats? Is it tolerable for you?
Old 08-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Nice. Can't wait to get my LTH installed. How is the smell without cats? Is it tolerable for you?
I honestly don't notice any smell without cats while driving. Only if it idles a bit in my garage will I notice a slight smell.
So it's perfectly tolerable.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by NotABaller
I don't know why you keep asking the same question multiple times in different threads. The car will reek of exhaust fumes without cats, PERIOD. Of course you won't smell the emissions when the car is moving or with the windows up. With the windows down and the wind blowing just right you'll smell it in the cabin.

My old M5 when I ran headers was awful. I would get out of the car and I made sure I shut it off each time otherwise the fumes would get on my clothes. It was fun shooting flames between each gear shift and hearing that V10 in all its glory. But now, if I ever do headers again it'll be paired with high flow cats.

If you're worried about the smell run high flow cats close as possible to the front as they need heat to function properly. If you run proper HJS high flow cats the horsepower difference is minuscule. Maybe a couple horsepower at most, but you'll pay a pretty penny for them.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
I don't know why you keep asking the same question multiple times in different threads. The car will reek of exhaust fumes without cats, PERIOD. Of course you won't smell the emissions when the car is moving or with the windows up. With the windows down and the wind blowing just right you'll smell it in the cabin.

My old M5 when I ran headers was awful. I would get out of the car and I made sure I shut it off each time otherwise the fumes would get on my clothes. It was fun shooting flames between each gear shift and hearing that V10 in all its glory. But now, if I ever do headers again it'll be paired with high flow cats.

If you're worried about the smell run high flow cats close as possible to the front as they need heat to function properly. If you run proper HJS high flow cats the horsepower difference is minuscule. Maybe a couple horsepower at most, but you'll pay a pretty penny for them.
+1. Personally, I don't like catless. I've been there in my M3, and I'm wasn't too thrilled about constantly smelling the gas. To each is own, but yes, you'll smell it.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog

Just trying to get as many user experiences as I can before going in for headers install. Thanks for the detailed reply.