C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

MB Certified Collision Center or Geico's recommended repair shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
MB Certified Collision Center or Geico's recommended repair shop

To make the long story short, hit three deers in the left lane of interstate highway, state trooper was there to take report, and the car was put on the flatbed after I called MB roadside assistance. It looked like the radiator was pushed in with steam coming out, hood went straight up after collision, bumper and headlight appeared intact, no windshield damage.

I have Geico comprehensive so I called Geico. Geico recommended this place in NW Indiana called CDE Hammond, IN and said a lot of good things about them, ie, satisfied customers and lifetime warranty of their work via Geico. I called the towing company, who told me they were instructed to bring the vehicle to the closest MB dealer (Napleton's Auto Werk, Schererville, IN) in the morning. I looked up MBUSA's website and found this dealer has an associated MB Certified Collision Center called Collision Revision at Munster, IN. So my question is:

1) Should I have the car taken to a Geico recommended body shop, or a Mercedes-Benz Certified Collision Center?

2) Do I have a choice? Or do I have to go with wherever Geico wants me to go?

Thanks. I'm totally bummed now especially when I finally went to pick up my car today from the dealership after they have fixed the known airmatic problem under warranty. It started out as a really good day, though...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Dang, glad you're okay. I've heard some horror stories about hitting deer.

You always have a choice for where you want to take your car. I'd say go to an MB certified collision center. They probably take the best care of MBs, unless there's another place you really like.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
Always go to the MB certified collision centre if possible. the geico rec ones will just make some paperwork easier..on them. for you there really isnt a big difference. however, the MB rec shop deals exclusively with MBs day in and day out... and they will use oem parts... that will make a difference for you. If your car is a lease or you want to one day trade it in... the MB shop will go a long way.

btw 3 deers? dang man....
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Seriously, forget the buckshot. Buy a C63 instead!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Poor deers
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
MB center, no doubt. It's "recommended" because there is financial/operational incentives for them. They may be a fine shop, but normally the best shops don't need to resort to deals with the ins companies.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreams
mb certified... avoid the whole "aftermarket" parts crap.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Almost always do the opposite of what your INS company wants you to do. They just want to make things easy on themselves as far as pricing and paperwork. Go to MB certified. And if you feel like you really want to be nice, after all the repairs are done and your car is like brand new again, invite the adjuster over for one hell of a Venessen dinner as a thanks....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
very very sorry to hear do some home work on different high end collision body shops, go there in person to see the work first hand and choose from there. MB collision centers are NOT always the best. In the end I promise ur car will be good as new once she is fixed keep your head up buddy
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You hit three deers? Sheesh! Any of them survived?

Glad you're ok.

1) Should I have the car taken to a Geico recommended body shop, or a Mercedes-Benz Certified Collision Center?

Does it make a difference to Geico as to which body shop you take it to? I personally would look at the history of the body shop Geico is recommending to see if they've done some work on mercs and see if there has been any good/bad reviews about it. Don't think you can go wrong with a MB CCC.

2) Do I have a choice? Or do I have to go with wherever Geico wants me to go?

Yes. If they say no then go with what they say.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
No way - if they say no then talk to someone else. You have every right to pick your body shop, insist on OEM parts, etc. Dont let those thieves tell you otherwise. They are in the business of minimizing claim payouts, it's their fundamental purpose.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
I had a fender bender a few months ago and used the Geico-recommended shop. BIG mistake. I don't know if newer Benzes still use the PPG ceramic paint, but a few months on, my bumper has more chips than the 7-year-old factory original did before the accident. They dented my hood and lost my wheel lock key, and of course denied responsibility. Not only that, they had to disconnect the trans cooler lines and must have drained enough fluid in the process to send the trans into limp mode 2 miles down the road after I picked it up. After I returned and gave them my thoughts on why this was happening, they send it off to their trans guy who diagnosed it as burned fluid and a trans brain issue. I let them know that their guy was flat out wrong, took it to the dealership and guess what...low on fluid, just like I told them. The MB tech said everything was fine, just needed a little fluid to top off.

My advice? Pretty obvious. One shouldn't need to educate the "experts" about your car; it certainly leaves doubt in my mind about the rest of their workmanship! Explore your options and if possible, MB certified is the ONLY way I'll go in the future.

Sorry to hear about your situation, best of luck!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Thank you all for responding to my post. Indeed, it's scary to hear that MB Certified Collision Centers are not always the best. But I guess it's probably a safer bet since if there is warranty issue arising out it later, MB wouldn't be able to complain about it being fixed elsewhere.

Anyway, the car ended showing up at the mentioned MBCCC center the next morning. So much for my frenzy calling that morning trying to get it there. As it appeared the MB roadside assistance had already arranged for the tow company to bring it there. Lucky, there was no rain overnight and it wasn't too busy at the MBCCC, so the car was pushed inside the moment it got there. It's scary not being able to see anything in the front at that speed all of a sudden. I peeked below it right at that instant.

There did not appear to be any structural damage, thus it's most likely just replacement with genuine MB parts. Per the service write, the preliminary minimum estimate $11K, but likely over $15K once the work gets started. I'm just grateful I have full comprehensive coverage.

There were two deers right behind the car, and another one right across the road. But I'm not sure if that one was part of the pack. Unfortunately, they were all dead by the time I stepped out of the car. There were some blood over the trunk deck, so my guess is they flew over the top right after the impact without hitting the roof. It was just a thump. I actually brought back the DVR I had in the car. Unfortunately, I forgot to aim it at the road during that time, but I could still see the hood flopping open and hear the thump. By the way, I was surprised that both hood latches were damaged at the same time.

Overall, it will take one to two months to repair.