Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 mile times and best techniques

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
^^ I would imagine the c63 would not get traction with launch control and traction FULLY OFF? I thought with sport traction on the launch would be safer?

Based on this thread I'm sure everyone is confused including me. Everyone has different techniques to launch.

-----------

According to this thread =

1. S mode + brake + gas = TC fully off
2. S+ mode + brake + gas = TC fully off
3. M mode + brake + gas = TC fully off
4. S mode + brake + gas = Sport handling on
5. S+ mode + brake + gas = Sport handling on
6. M mode + brake + gas = Sport handling on

Lol so which is best with STOCK TIRES?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by Char_AMG
^^ I would imagine the c63 would not get traction with launch control and traction FULLY OFF? I thought with sport traction on the launch would be safer?

Based on this thread I'm sure everyone is confused including me. Everyone has different techniques to launch.

-----------

According to this thread =

1. S mode + brake + gas = TC fully off
2. S+ mode + brake + gas = TC fully off
3. M mode + brake + gas = TC fully off
4. S mode + brake + gas = Sport handling on
5. S+ mode + brake + gas = Sport handling on
6. M mode + brake + gas = Sport handling on

Lol so which is best with STOCK TIRES?
Best for street tires use
Number 5

Also street tires like the heat and so does the car.
Lower your pressure do couple hot laps (no more then 7-8 in a row no less then 4-5)
My car always pulled better time after 3-4 passes but after 7-8 it gets hot and then cool down.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
I am starting to get this. Say a novice like me wants to take his C63 to the drag strip and start learning how to run it. I understand many factors play a part; track condition, car setup, temperature, etc... I've had some experience drag racing in a completely different beast, 04 Dodge Ram diesel 4wd than ran mid 12's (7,000lbs scary fun)! There were general rules of thumb to launching those kind of trucks. I learned the hard way what not to do or you go home on a flatbed tow truck...that sucks.

I'd like to learn from you all what works and what doesn't in general before I go play and spend $. Here is my take so far, correct me where I am wrong please;
Front street tires set at ??? PSI
Buy a spare set of rear drag radials set at ??? PSI
Do I pre-launch burnout?
At the light creep up RPM's at 1200 to 1500 and launch in S mode, then hammer down takeoff?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by Richard_AMG
1/4 mile best technique??
Hi, this is my first post on the forum so please be gentle  I thought this was the best place to post as its relevant to the ¼ mile and Eurocharged

I had my car at a ¼ mile event on Sunday (UK) and my best was 12.219@119.7 (my best terminal was 121mph) I was just wondering what the best method is to get the best times?

The Race Start function, isn’t much good, it too aggressive and you get too much wheel spin, in S+ once you loose traction off the line it automatically shifts into second and you loose time. My best times are in Manual, slowly building up the revs in first and shifting near redline.

The track was dry, but there was a lot of humidity in the air, very misty and around 10 degrees, so I reckon a sub 2secs 60ft is possible in the right conditions and should get into the 11’s ???

C63 Coupe with Eurocharged V4 tune and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres

Many thanks
10 degrees?

Great trap speed. Drag radials and a low 60' and you could run 11's easy.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM

2012 c63 sedan
Originally Posted by propain
10 degrees?

Great trap speed. Drag radials and a low 60' and you could run 11's easy.

I believe he meant, 10 Degrees Celsius. Everyone else in the world uses celsius except the US.

I need to find time to go to strip to see what I can run. I hope to get similar traps as you! Great times
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by rage2
I drive my BS with traction off all the time, and I can vouch for the 3500rpm drop clutch launch behavior. I'm on street tires tho, on drag radials I can definately see driveshafts breaking.

I don't think it's a programming glitch tho, I think it's just an undocumented launch mode. Hold down the brakes, get on the throttle, let go of brake, works every time with ESP fully off.
I get what your saying, I did think it was cool till the driveshaft broke lol I've been scared to do it again since - figure they might question two driveshafts breaking.
Attached Thumbnails 1/4 mile times and best techniques-image.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 AM

E63 BiTurbo, previously C63 Coupe
Thanks for the response guys, sorry for the lack of response from me I've been away on holiday "vacation".
Yes 10 degrees C, but its now a bit warmer in the UK, around 20 now so hopefully my 60ft times will get lower.
I'm not at the next 1/4 mile event until 2 weeks so I cant give some of the options a try.

I'm not planning on fitting drag radials as I prefer to keep it "street legal" so I will stick to the PSS's, hopefully I will manage into the 11's..............
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by JRSJR65
I am starting to get this. Say a novice like me wants to take his C63 to the drag strip and start learning how to run it. I understand many factors play a part; track condition, car setup, temperature, etc... I've had some experience drag racing in a completely different beast, 04 Dodge Ram diesel 4wd than ran mid 12's (7,000lbs scary fun)! There were general rules of thumb to launching those kind of trucks. I learned the hard way what not to do or you go home on a flatbed tow truck...that sucks.

I'd like to learn from you all what works and what doesn't in general before I go play and spend $. Here is my take so far, correct me where I am wrong please;
Do I pre-launch burnout?
At the light creep up RPM's at 1200 to 1500 and launch in S mode, then hammer down takeoff?
You have raised an interesting point regarding burnouts on street tyres, I see alot of people doing this, I have heard that this is counter productive for street tyres as it makes them greasy? and is only applicable to drag radials?

Is there any truth in this
Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
You have raised an interesting point regarding burnouts on street tyres, I see alot of people doing this, I have heard that this is counter productive for street tyres as it makes them greasy? and is only applicable to drag radials?

When running street tires you should drive around the water box and do a rolling burnout. This will clear the tire of debris.

"Heating" them does nothing.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Thanks for the response guys, sorry for the lack of response from me I've been away on holiday "vacation".
Yes 10 degrees C, but its now a bit warmer in the UK, around 20 now so hopefully my 60ft times will get lower.
I'm not at the next 1/4 mile event until 2 weeks so I cant give some of the options a try.

I'm not planning on fitting drag radials as I prefer to keep it "street legal" so I will stick to the PSS's, hopefully I will manage into the 11's..............

You could get 11's on street tires but the track prep better be perfect and you will want the temp to go down not up. Warmer temps will net you worse ET's.

Cold ambient temps and warm track temps with good prep should get you there. In cold temps your best bet is to wait until many cars have gone down the track and it has warmed up a bit.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel

It would really come down to what street tires and compound.. These days the ultra performance "street tires" are a soft enough compound that slight heating will help but if its a all season don't waist your time.. But then again I have no idea what in talking about..
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by dodger63
It would really come down to what street tires and compound.. These days the ultra performance "street tires" are a soft enough compound that slight heating will help but if its a all season don't waist your time.. But then again I have no idea what in talking about..
It depends on the brand of street tires too. I had to get some heat into the P-Zero's before they hit their optimal grip, while the Pilot Super Sports worked the same cold, warm or hot. This is for track/cornering tho, which I dunno if it translates to launch grip.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 AM

c32
I ran new pilot supersports last night at atco and they were a half second slower then dunlop sport maxx tt's after heating them up. most cars were pretty slow last night except for a boost logic GTR 9.08 sec @ 170mph WOW!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by dodger63

This is true. Your just a truck owner, what do you know.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by amgc32sl
I ran new pilot supersports last night at atco and they were a half second slower then dunlop sport maxx tt's after heating them up. most cars were pretty slow last night except for a boost logic GTR 9.08 sec @ 170mph WOW!
Half a second slower on PSS??? surely all this wasn't just down to the tyres, I could only see the tyres affecting your 60ft times and 0.5 is alot
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 AM

Has anyone any experience with removing the passenger seat, rear seats and spare wheel etc?
I was thinking about doing this but I reckon there about 100kg in the lot, is it worth the hassle? Would benefit would this likely to give 0.1-0.2 on the 1/4
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Yes a couple of us have done it and some have no stock seats at all.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ht-thread.html
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63

Do I pre-launch burnout?
front tires probably 50
drags around 18-21
yes to a burn out
gotta play with the rpm but the range seems about right. depends on track conditions.

which tracks have you been to locally? i'm from dfw as well... used to live in carrollton
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mthis
Yes a couple of us have done it and some have no stock seats at all.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ht-thread.html
THanks for the link...good thread
Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
The one in Kennedale Texas Raceway 1/4, the one in Denton North Star Dragway 1/8 , Ennis - Texas Motorplex 1/4 , Yellow Belly in Grand Prarie 1/8, Crandall is Redline I think 1/8. Almost all of them are pretty old and rough. Denton is the closest to me now its only a 1/8 mile.
I used to run down in FL to Orlando Speedway and more often at Moroso in West Palm was my favorite.
You ever want to hit a local track let me know. I'll do it! I need to learn how to run this car and only one way to do that! And thanks for the information. I haven't bought the spare drag tires-rims yet. Sounds like you may know where and what to get being local?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
The one in Kennedale Texas Raceway 1/4, the one in Denton North Star Dragway 1/8 , Ennis - Texas Motorplex 1/4 , Yellow Belly in Grand Prarie 1/8, Crandall is Redline I think 1/8. Almost all of them are pretty old and rough. Denton is the closest to me now its only a 1/8 mile.
I used to run down in FL to Orlando Speedway and more often at Moroso in West Palm was my favorite.
You ever want to hit a local track let me know. I'll do it! I need to learn how to run this car and only one way to do that! And thanks for the information. I haven't bought the spare drag tires-rims yet. Sounds like you may know where and what to get being local?
actually all my runs so far have been on street tires... i haven't gotten a set of drags... but i'm looking around
Old 09-03-2014, 12:11 AM

2010 C63 P30
So do you guys recommend lower than 36psi on the rear tires using Pilot super sports?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by AMG Boost
So do you guys recommend lower than 36psi on the rear tires using Pilot super sports?
Yes, I aired down to about 22psi on my Pilot Cups on my SLS BS and went 10.7, compared to 10.9's at 34psi. Back when I was running stock rubber on my CLK BS I would air down to 21psi on my Pirelli Corsa's.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:09 PM

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by jrcart
Yes, I aired down to about 22psi on my Pilot Cups on my SLS BS and went 10.7, compared to 10.9's at 34psi. Back when I was running stock rubber on my CLK BS I would air down to 21psi on my Pirelli Corsa's.

Nice, I appreciate the input. I will try 25psi or so tonight.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by AMG Boost
Nice, I appreciate the input. I will try 25psi or so tonight.
How'd it go?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times and best techniques