Worth fighting a speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Worth fighting a speeding ticket?

Got pulled over today. Was going 56 in a 50 down a hill on a four lane road (two lanes each way). Saw a cop pulled off the road while i was coming down the hill but I didn't really think much of it since I wasn't weaving in and out of a traffic and just cruising with the flow of traffic (three cars in front of me and four behind me). About half a mile later I see that cop coming up on the left lane and he squeezes in behind me and pulls only me over and writes me up for 56 in a 50.

I know I was "speeding" but I was just following the flow of traffic. Is something like this worth fighting or should I just pay the fine and move on? I'm not trying to avoid responsibility for my actions but it's just annoying since it is only 6 mph over and I got cherry picked out of the traffic flow. Was driving into Rancho Santa Fe (one of the nicest areas of San Diego), so some of my friends just think they were looking for someone in a nice car to pull over that would probably just pay the fine so they can met quota and make some easy cash.

I've heard good things about Mr. Ticket and The Ticket Clinic, but I'm not sure.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
I would def fight it if the lawyer, court fees were lower or at least close to the ticket. Either way if you do win/ u dont win wont impact your insurance.

I believe if you lose you can do some sort of online class to avoid points / insurance going up
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG S
56 in a 50?? Wow...sorry dude. Go to court and speak with the prosecutor...u can prob get it dropped to an unsafe driving (no pts, just a fine)...
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
That is winnable for a lawyer. Worth it to keep points off and insurance down. I can't believe you got a 6mph over ticket, that is absurd.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys for the replies. Looks like I will try to fight it. A 6mph over ticket sure is annoying!

Anyone have any suggestions for a lawyer?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 PM

c63
6 over, what a jerk. he must have been bored and really jealous

PS hows your G63? my favorite SUV.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM

w211, w221, w220, e46
If everyone fought their unreasonable tickets (i.e. 5-6 mph over), then tickets would be issued with more caution as the courts would not be able to justify the costs.

There is no arguing that exceeding the speed limit is technically in violation of the vehicle code, but when you are in flow of traffic and moving along safely, the officer should have been more lenient.

What is the method of speed measurement stated on the ticket... pace, laser, radar?

btw I just came back from SD, the weather was a bit cloudy for summer time.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
You're in CA so turn your ticket over and read the instructions for filing Trial by Declaration. I have beaten the two tickets I've gotten in 10 years via the TBD route. GL.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by _timothy
6 over, what a jerk. he must have been bored and really jealous

PS hows your G63? my favorite SUV.
It's great! I really love it, though I only really drive it during the winter when I'm in the East Coast.

Originally Posted by AMG X
If everyone fought their unreasonable tickets (i.e. 5-6 mph over), then tickets would be issued with more caution as the courts would not be able to justify the costs.

There is no arguing that exceeding the speed limit is technically in violation of the vehicle code, but when you are in flow of traffic and moving along safely, the officer should have been more lenient.

What is the method of speed measurement stated on the ticket... pace, laser, radar?

btw I just came back from SD, the weather was a bit cloudy for summer time.
Just took a look at the ticket, it mentions nothing about pace/laser/radar on it. Since he was parked, safe to assume radar/laser, though the last ticket I got quite a while ago specifically said it was caught on radar.

We do get more cloud coverage than people tend to expect!

Originally Posted by bhamg
You're in CA so turn your ticket over and read the instructions for filing Trial by Declaration. I have beaten the two tickets I've gotten in 10 years via the TBD route. GL.
Awesome, thanks for the tip!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 AM

w211, w221, w220, e46
The cooler weather was better than dealing with heat wave that had engulfed our area. I really like SD though, many great areas to enjoy.

Back to topic, he most likely noted down to himself that he "paced" you or estimated your speed. If he had used radar or laser, then he would have to write the unit number on the ticket. A lawyer would get this case dismissed like it never happened.

Anyhow, most CA courts allow one 30 day extension on your due date and it will not waive your right to a speedy trial. Check with your jurisdiction. That will give you more time to prepare. Do search into TBWD as mentioned... worst case is you lose and you request trial de novo in which you get a new in-person trial.

I have fought both of my speeding tickets and won. Don't be intimidated by the wording of the courts, but it will be a bit time consuming to research and prepare.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
This infraction is worth fighting.
Cities in California are cash strapped so they are going after everyone.
Sorry to hear....this sucks. Id be pissed if was cherry picked out of a lineup. But the law is the law and the cop is doing his job. He caught you and not the first or the last guy.

Definetely hit up the ticket clinic. It started here in Miami and a few yaers back started up in California.

The ticket clinic works only in highly populated areas where traffic courts are tied up. The attorneys know youre guilty but look for loopholes as there are always a technicality. If the ticket is perfect...all "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed then youre paying this ticket prob minus points and or trafic school. But as long as the state/city gets their fair share, the ticket will be gone from your record but not safe from your wallet.

You can represent yourself in court and get the same result. Or you may be lucky and the cop wont show up?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM

SL63
Fight them !

Absolutely fight this because it most likely will be dismissed out right given the circumstances. You have so many defense claims from profiling, possible discrimination, uneven application of the law, speedometer error etc.

https://www.facebook.com/amgnewyork/events

Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I'm very familiar with getting pulled over, mostly due to fix-it tickets. But of the two speeding tickets I've received, I beat both of them. It's always worth disputing.

You could argue speedo margin of error or even tire choice. My dad talked his way out of a ticket once with his old diesel MB because he told the cop he had to buy oversized tires.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Banned

S550 on order
seriously....6 over and their being *******s about it? They need to **** off already.

Last edited by avery.whss; 07-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Out Of Control!

What's a good website for traffic school? I know there's a few out there but there's one that got posted that had a pretty good yelp rating. Can't seem to find that tread now.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by turbotom1
Absolutely fight this because it most likely will be dismissed out right given the circumstances. You have so many defense claims from profiling, possible discrimination, uneven application of the law, speedometer error etc.

https://www.facebook.com/amgnewyork/events

What? Those claims will likely get the OP laughed at.
You do know that the burden of proof is always on the defendant in traffic case.
You have to prove that your innocent. They may or may not take pity on you for 6mph. All California jurisdictions are in a grab for cash.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Just find the cheapest/quickest one. Doesn't matter.

6mph over is BS.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by moosejaw
This infraction is worth fighting.
Cities in California are cash strapped so they are going after everyone.
Sorry to hear....this sucks. Id be pissed if was cherry picked out of a lineup. But the law is the law and the cop is doing his job. He caught you and not the first or the last guy.

Definetely hit up the ticket clinic. It started here in Miami and a few yaers back started up in California.

The ticket clinic works only in highly populated areas where traffic courts are tied up. The attorneys know youre guilty but look for loopholes as there are always a technicality. If the ticket is perfect...all "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed then youre paying this ticket prob minus points and or trafic school. But as long as the state/city gets their fair share, the ticket will be gone from your record but not safe from your wallet.

You can represent yourself in court and get the same result. Or you may be lucky and the cop wont show up?
Awesome, thanks. Just waiting for a response from The Ticket Clinic. Mr. Ticket called me back today and said they charge $750 and that The Ticket Clinic is "less personable" as they go to court with a huge clipboard of people to go through. Of course, they're not going to speak positively about their competition, but was curious if you had any thoughts on that? I feel like a 6mph over ticket might be easy enough for The Ticket Clinic and the extra $$$ would be better served elsewhere (Ticket Clinic's website says it starts at $200). I'd rather just pay someone to deal with it as my time is better spent elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JamE55
What's a good website for traffic school? I know there's a few out there but there's one that got posted that had a pretty good yelp rating. Can't seem to find that tread now.
When I did traffic school I used I Drive Safely. Though most of the questions are common sense, you can find all of the answers online via google because tons of people use them for traffic school (though of course I wouldn't condone such actions ). Completed traffic school in about 3 hours with them.

Last edited by MercPlease; 07-09-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Online traffic school = 30 minutes.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
Online traffic school = 30 minutes.
Maybe it wasn't productive for me to marathon Arrested Development while doing it.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Haha. When I moved to CA, I had to retake the written test to get a new DL. I took the test in the line to return it for grading. Only missed one question (I think it had to do with a child seat)
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 AM

2009 C63, 2000 Nissan Maxima
i beat an 80 in a 65 ( cop was nice, i was doing 85) using TicketKick.com

definitely some of the best $179 i spent - and if you dont beat it, you get refunded

infraction + court fees and all came out to over $250 anyway, not including all the insurance fees and stuff...definitely worth it
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Omg ticket clinic here in Miami cost $59