C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front windshield cracked due to stone, OEM or other replacement suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG 2009
Front windshield cracked due to stone, OEM or other replacement suggestions?

First one of my fog lights glass was cracked due to a rock, now my front windshield is cracked. City of Houston, TX the pothole capital of the USA, thank you! If this were a regular run of the mill Camry I would find the cheapest shop to replace it but my 2009 C63 with only 22Kmls is just too nice in my opinion to have just anybody who can handle a hammer and a screwdriver do this. I am thinking OEM at the dealership, unfortunately my technician is on VK this week. Does any one have any idea what this would cost? The crack is a foot long going to the roof behind my mirror so replacement is a must. The insurance company told me they have to verify coverage and I have a $500.00 deductable.
Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks
E
Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
Safelite will use OEM glass and stand behind their work.

Plus one on appreciating City of Houston's effort to crack the fog light. been there . done that.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Safelite may well be fine, I've never used them. My last three cars have required window replacements and the first thing I look for is a dealer with an in-house glass tech. That ensures factory materials and procedures are used. Also they have the room to keep your car overnight - my BMW tech wanted to keep a car of mine on the shop floor overnight to ensure the adhesives cured undisturbed. Shop it around...I have surprisingly experienced variances in dealer quotes from a low of 13% to a high of 22% for my replacements.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
DutchC63, I was taken aback when you stated your insurance company will have to verify coverage,now imagine if you needed them for more serious matters. Better look for another company, one that pays out before they start trying to back out of a claim.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
Originally Posted by DutchC63
First one of my fog lights glass was cracked due to a rock, now my front windshield is cracked. City of Houston, TX the pothole capital of the USA, thank you! If this were a regular run of the mill Camry I would find the cheapest shop to replace it but my 2009 C63 with only 22Kmls is just too nice in my opinion to have just anybody who can handle a hammer and a screwdriver do this. I am thinking OEM at the dealership, unfortunately my technician is on VK this week. Does any one have any idea what this would cost? The crack is a foot long going to the roof behind my mirror so replacement is a must. The insurance company told me they have to verify coverage and I have a $500.00 deductable.
Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks
E
My buddy has a 2009 C300 that he just replaced his front windshield for 300 bucks with Non OEM glass.

The glass creaks when going over bumps.

I would get OEM glass and get a reputable shop to do it
Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM

C63 AMG 2009
Dealer informed that they will have this work contracted out and have it done at the dealership with OEM glass. Cost estimate $1300.00 . One of my friends Lonestar glass, i have not called them, does anybody have any experience with them? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM

2012 C63 AMG
You might want to change insurance after this I was under the impression that glass coverage was including on most peoples insurance. I pay $0 for a new windshield not even a deductible.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by DutchC63
Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks
E
Happened to mine earlier this year...I used Safelite....it is OEM quality glass they use not original Mercedes glass which will cost 2x the amount of OEM quality. Everything fit fine and install was a breeze and fast. If you are leasing your car, I would call the dealer to ask if the car can be returned with non original equipment....BMW had replace the windshield with a BMW unit before returning the car...the chip was 5mm by the way...insane.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
If the windshield is chipped- most insurance will not pay for replacement but they might pay for a repair. If there is a full crack and it obstructs the driver's view- it is a safety issue and insurance would normally cover it at no/little charge. A while back, I remember a post in the W204 section regarding a Non-Dealer windshield replacement which led to leaking which caused damage behind the dash.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 PM

C300
My dealer offered me a policy to cover windshields, tires and wheel damage when I purchased the car. Best money I spent as my windshield was hit with a stone today and cracked. MB will replace it with no cost to me.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:06 PM

2012 C300
Safelite will order original oem glass if you specifically request it. It takes longer, but it is worth the extra wait. If you have a small deductible, there is no harm in requesting the oem glass b/c your insurer is obligated by law to accept it.