C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

For sound freaks and limp mode lovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 C63C
For sound freaks and limp mode lovers

Took the C63 Coupe to Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX over the weekend for an MB Club event, designed to allow beginners to experience driving on a track.
Picked up a new GoPro 3+ Black the day before, and mounted a couple external mics inside the rear bumper against the frame..right above the rear tailpipes. If you like burbles and pops, here ya go.

As a bonus, even though it was 60 degrees outside, the car overheated twice halfway through the second session, so i pulled off and cooled down a bit before finishing up. Here's both sessions. I know I can't drive, but it was fun nonetheless.

Limp Mode - car pulls power at 0:12 and gives it back about 0:35
Solo Session 1
Solo Session 2

Last edited by fly2nite; 10-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Won't let the video play in the thread because it says embedding not allowed. But I looked it up on YouTube. Looks like you had fun! What mic setup did you use? Were you in M or S+ mode?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Looks like a ton of fun!

and however you set up the camera and mics, bravo!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM

'13 C63C
Should work now, I've turned them into links instead.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
Hey, I was out there with you! I was in the black C63. That was a nice track. The surface was very nice and the layout was ok. Now that I've been to MSR I can say that I like the layout of ECR better - but their surface is fairly poor.

My 2010 did not go into limp mode at all - and I was running as hard as I could 100% of the time. I managed 5 sessions on the day. At the end of the day I was out with the 'faster' group then rolled right back out with the 'fast' group. Two 20+ min sessions back to back and no limp mode. I kept mine in S mode the whole time. In early Sept I was at ECR (~97 degrees) and I tried S+. It was fun, and loud, but I spent too much time in the upper RPM's and I did go into limp mode there.

It was nice to meet you out there.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM

'13 C63C
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Looks like a ton of fun!

and however you set up the camera and mics, bravo!
Thanks! Was great fun! The mic placement was a project, but it turned out ok!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:58 PM

'13 C63C
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
Hey, I was out there with you! I was in the black C63.
Yeah I saw your post in the other thread about "anyone gone fast lately," I replied but I don't think you saw it. We never were in the same group, I stayed in the beginner session and the other White C Coupe didn't run except during the lead and follow sessions. The facelift cars with the MCT transmission seem to be the ones going into limp mode. The pre-MCT models like yours all appear to be running as expected or at least much better.

I watched a video from a yellow Lotus that you passed and looks like you were clocking about 1:33-1:35 per lap. That's right where I was at 1:34 per lap. Was a great day!

By the way, just saw your sig mods, I commented as you left in the advanced group that your car sounded like it had headers, I must have been hearing the res delete! Sounded good.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:03 PM

'13 C63C
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Won't let the video play in the thread because it says embedding not allowed. But I looked it up on YouTube. Looks like you had fun! What mic setup did you use? Were you in M or S+ mode?
I ran S+ mode the entire time and Sport Traction for both sessions up until it went limp. When I went back out, I turned off traction completely, but always left it in S+. In the video once it switches to HD mode you can see the temps. Limp mode kicked in at 287 degrees and then once it cooled to 285, power was restored. Never gave me any indication on the dash that it was in limp mode at all, no warnings, no lights, nothing. Didn't even realize what was happening until the next time around the track in the same spot, it did it again.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:17 PM

2010 C63
That Lotus was scary to be near. Each time that I was on his tail it seemed he was 'driving his mirrors' and was all over the track and/or about to spin out driving so hard to prevent a pass.

I haven't logged on for a few days and did not see your post in the other thread. No LTH for me at this point just the r delete. I love the sound. Great mod for $90.

Where did you see the video - plain ol' youTube? I videoed the lead/follow session then messed up later. I must have got out of sync with the start/stop button as I ended up with no track footage and two fifteen minutes videos of our cars parked in the line as we were all up in the classroom. I foobar'd that one for sure.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Weird how you guys get LIMP modes...I've beaten my 09 to hell and back and never once has a LIMP mode popped up...I mean I've had it running near 120C but rarely ever does it go above 115C and I beat on it...I hope when I get a 2014 or 2015 in a few years I don't have this LIMP mode issue...Anyways best of luck! Good video...wish there were some tracks in my city
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Banned

S550 on order
This is what happens when you own a tuned C63:
Hahahahahah nice sig...I wish!!!! Females hate C63s...I know this because I have friends with cars worth 1-2k who get more *** then me...which is 0
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
I have a C coupe and had the same limp mode issues. Install black series oil/trans cooler and your problem will be gone
Old 10-10-2013, 02:02 PM

'13 C63C
Originally Posted by Ezec63
I have a C coupe and had the same limp mode issues. Install black series oil/trans cooler and your problem will be gone
Yeah, that's what I've heard, but it seems to be a pretty extensive changeover, some cutting required for air vents, some new lines custom built...did you have to go through all that?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Yes thats my thread your referring to. A good shop should be able to do it once they know whats required. The guys that did it for me had never done it before and used their expertise to get it done its not anything crazy no body modifications at all just custom oil lines, some shaving and compressing of the new black series air duct for oil cooler and thats pretty much it. The trans cooler is a direct bolt on no modification required at all. If your going to track your car or push it hard on the streets in the TX heat it might be worth it some time down the road limp mode is very frustrating
Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM

'13 C63C
That's the thing, I probably would only track the car once or twice a year so it's a matter of deciding if the investment is worth it since AMG is not offering a solution. Would you be willing to share what the total expense was?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Nice driving! I was amazed when I saw you pass the yellow Testarossa. That was my dream car when I was a teen. Amazing how the technology of cars evolve...

The reason why 2009-2011 C63 don't go in limp mode is because of the transmission. Before 2012 the C63 used the 7G tronic speedshift, and 2012-2014 cars use the MCT transmission, which is prone to overheating. I believe that there was a SW update in 2013 to fix partially the limp mode issue.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
Nice driving! I was amazed when I saw you pass the yellow Testarossa. That was my dream car when I was a teen. Amazing how the technology of cars evolve...

The reason why 2009-2011 C63 don't go in limp mode is because of the transmission. Before 2012 the C63 used the 7G tronic speedshift, and 2012-2014 cars use the MCT transmission, which is prone to overheating. I believe that there was a SW update in 2013 to fix partially the limp mode issue.
is the 7G better then? I mean I'm sure the MCT shifts quicker but at the cost of overheating? Does it overheat on normal street driving if you're beating on it a bit? I wanna get a 2014 or 2015 in a few years so just curious..thanks for the info
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 PM

'13 C63C
That Lotus was scary to be near...
Where did you see the video - plain ol' youTube?
Found the Lotus vids I mentioned:
Session 1 - he spins at 05:28
Session 2 - you pass him at 10:50
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Awesome footage (and sound). Thanks for sharing.

We could use more threads like this! Love 'em.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM

'13 C63C
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG

Haha, thanks, I know I'm nowhere near being on the proper line, but getting the tail out was more fun than doing fast laps. Top Gear style, LOL. I should have done it more, these stock Conti's deserve it. Those Ferrari guys weren't really pushing it I don't think, and everybody was pretty much brand new at driving on a track, so I won't take credit where it's not due, but it was a lot of fun passing Ferrari's, I will DEFINITELY say that! Not my fault they didn't want to go faster

The software update was issued late last year, but my car was a March 13 build and already had the most recent update. After speaking with my Benz shop foreman, he contacted their regional Tech advisor and was told there is no additional update. So, looks like Black Series cooling should have been on the options list...or...dare I say...standard?

Originally Posted by avery.whss
is the 7G better then? I mean I'm sure the MCT shifts quicker but at the cost of overheating? Does it overheat on normal street driving if you're beating on it a bit? I wanna get a 2014 or 2015 in a few years so just curious..thanks for the info
I could be mistaken, but I believe the latest iteration of the 7G Tronic was much improved over the original that I had in my 07 E63. The new version can be found still I'm positive in the SLK55 and I believe in the V12 SL65. The MCT can't handle the massive torque of the V12, apparently. Where I get confused on the MCT is I thought the shift times on the 7G tronic were also touted to be 100 milliseconds, same as the MCT. I know there were advantages to the MCT, mainly the traction control system utilizes it to slip the clutch as a method of maintaining high rpms, instead of cutting engine power. This is specifically designed and intended as a method to make cars faster around a track, from my understanding, so that you're not waiting on an engine to come back alive, but rather a much quicker clutch plate to engage. It makes good sense and is neat engineering. The nasty side effect of that traction control induced clutch slipping is extreme heat, so the only way to avoid transmission heat from traction slipping the clutch is to turn traction off all the way. but then what's the point of having a Sport traction mode designed for the track if you can't use it?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM

2010 C63
Those Ferrari guys weren't really pushing it I don't think, and everybody was pretty much brand new at driving on a track, so I won't take credit where it's not due, but it was a lot of fun passing Ferrari's, I will DEFINITELY say that! Not my fault they didn't want to go faster
He-he, I know. I was passing Ferrari's ALL DAY! And, I've been talking . . . caca ever since. But I tell everybody "if they are too chicken to drive their cars hard that's their problem". Had I managed my GoPro properly I would have made a highlight cut - zoom (Ferrari), zoom (Ferrari), zoom (Ferrari), zoom (Audi), zoom (Lotus). I never did get to pass that white Porsche, ummm, because as I was approaching they flew off the track. Fun, fun day.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
lol @ 9:00 in the second session. You change radio or music right in the middle of a turn
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM

'13 C63C
Originally Posted by abcut973
lol @ 9:00 in the second session. You change radio or music right in the middle of a turn
Thanks for sharing.
Not exactly. I was trying traction mode completely off, and almost lost it in that corner right before where you're talking about, so i was fishing for the traction button to get back in sport traction (see the center dash screen changing) but accidentally hit the big COMAND knob. They have us tune to 88.9 FM so they can talk to us, and I was afraid i'd tuned away from it, so i had to then fiddle with the radio. So yeah, LOL but not intentionally.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
awesome to see some of yall go out to msr. Hopefully the wife will get ours out there, and ill take the supra when it cools down some more.

To further your 7g talk.... v12's have never had the 7 speed up until this year. It wasnt necessarily that the mct couldnt handle the power it was the rest of the transmission but ever since they've gotten them mated up with the 5.5L biturbos they figured out how to make them hold up. All the previous v12's up 2013 had the old 5 speeds with the old fashioned torque converters. The mct can actually shift faster and is more efficient since it does a full lock up unlike a converter that is always slipping somewhat. The 7speeds have come along way.... starting in 2003, later getting the throttle blip downshifts and ofcourse the mct. obviously there has been vast improvement over the years with the valve bodies, software and hardware. Its not often anything actually fails in the 7 speeds other than the contact plate/module which is one piece with the speed sensor. I dont really know why the mct's like to overheat on the track but 100* texas temps dont help.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 AM

'13 C63C
My thread and I'm jacking it. You local guys, JumpinJim and I are going to Crandall Friday eve for the last evening test and tune of the year before they switch to Sunday afternoons. He will have either his M5, or SL63, or both. I'll have the C. Clark Kent, maybe you and I could duke it out for fastest tune. I'm running OE and I see you're on Eurocharged. Would be interesting to see.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For sound freaks and limp mode lovers