Carbonio installed now small issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mbworld
Originally Posted by Autosport7
So basically what I gather from your responses is that not one of the issues that buyers are experiencing are the fault of said overpriced intake? I don't buy it. Intakes are one of the easiest installed items there is, along with re-installing MAF's.
Then you go on to say you can not find the oem clips anywhere therefore the poor sap who bought your overpriced intake is at the mercy of your poorly scripted directions upon removal of the existing clips...? How about this, this is just a thought, you manufactured an entire intake, can you not take some of that profit back out of your pocket and manufacture the damn clips for these guys who are putting their hard-earned cash on the table for your product!? At the end if the day you take an oem clip send it to them and have tem reverse engineer the thing and... Wallah new clips for all!
Instead of placing blame on all of the installers how about make a product that better fits the specified vehicle to where installation isn't so elusive that it takes additional directions to get the job done.

Sorry to put you on blast, but I have seen far cheaper intakes installed with zero issues and this is disheartening to say the least.
Actually we must disagree on this one. We have been selling this product for 6 years now with over a 1000 units sold to just about every country you can imagine (it is amazing where the world AMG's go). We are regularly called by new Mercedes dealers selling the intake direct to new car buyers and supply intakes to some very prominent tuners to package with their cars. Our business has mainly been with the trade with professional installers fitting the product and the response has been very positive.

Of course we do not want to insult the shade tree enthusiast but when dealing with the end user, it is necessary to be more sensitive to their experience level and offer instructions that help bolster ones confidence during installation. We are listening closely to the comments the board is giving and are responding as best we can to help our customers feel confident in their install.

On the subject of the clips we did indeed look at manufacturing them. In fact we spent an inordinate amount of time trying to have them made to no avail. The problem is that clips need to be made in the millions to be cost effective. The complex shape of the MB clip uses 3 different stations requiring 3 different hardened steel tools. When amortizing the tooling over a run of 5K pieces we came out to a piece price of over $25 per clip. That is over $100 per kit to our bill of materials not to mention a huge cash outlay to sit on a tiny box of metal clips that, if handled properly, can be easily re-used.

As a manufacturer we are every bit the enthusiast and end user as you guys. We love cars and strive to make products that we ourselves would be happy to get. I apologize if not everyone sees things that way but we do constantly strive to improve and work with our customers.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
I gotta give it to carbonio...atleast they reply and are proper about it...mine should be here tomorrow...so I'll try and install it and get back to you guys and let you know how it went
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by carlostossuniam
I agree with you 100%!!!!
I am very disappointed with this intake. The MAF sensors do not fit, you have to cut some parts of the sensors - see my post at Carbonio AMG63 Promo: 4 MBWorld Members only ( I know it won't interfere but this should have a perfect fit!!!); the screw to hold the sensors in place are too tiny and unable to secure them properly ( my passenger side sensor is a little bit loose and it is impossible to make it better); the engine cover does not stay in place ( Carbonio says you have to remove the OEM clips but it is IMPOSSIBLE to do it without harming them), the air boxes are almost the same size as the OEM and they get hotter!!! ( I do not know how they got 18-20 hp increase) .One day after the installation, ALL the rubber-sided washers melted!!!! ALL OF THEM!!! And I have not overtightened them.
As you said, air intakes are one of the easiest modes to install. I had several other vehicles that I installed cheaper intakes that fit better and easier than this one.
Now I can not go back to the OEM intake because:
1.It is impossible to remove one of the sensor because the cheap, low quality, tiny screw does not come off ( and does not hold the sensor in place)
2.I have removed the clips of the OEM engine cover and, of course, they are broke now.

I strongly advise you all to stay away of this intake.

the rubber doesn't look melted?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2007 X5
Renntech made their own anodized aluminum MAF sensor retaining clips. Maybe that's why they are almost double the cost of Carbonio.
Attached Thumbnails Carbonio installed now small issue-renntech.jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
Originally Posted by BO Knows
Renntech made their own anodized aluminum MAF sensor retaining clips. Maybe that's why they are almost double the cost of Carbonio.
My Renntech intake ended up in the trash. After 6 months half of the mounting points were cracked from becoming brittle with the heat. The tuner who fitted mine hated it, said it didn't belong on the car.

Nothing beats OEM ROW airboxes.

Complete waste of money those Carbon intakes are.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CLK55, C63BS
Interestng!!!??? When i first got the beautifull looking air box i took it to my upscale mercedes mechanic to install it he couldnt. Things didnt fit , maf snsr and the front cover with the short peg clips where ok . I then took it to jerry at eurocharged and winh major juryrigging and silicone seal got the maf sensor to fit seal .However no matter how hard we tried the front cover wouldnt stay down!!!! When we called carbonio they were willing to help but i had already embossed the air boxes with the AMG logo 75 dollars . At that point i just gave up thinking that was the best it was going to be. Now other people are complaining of the same issues i just wonder ??? It is abeautiful piece that matches the other carbon fiber on the car .Oh well it is what it is????!!!!Maybe?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Carbonio
Actually we must disagree on this one. We have been selling this product for 6 years now with over a 1000 units sold to just about every country you can imagine (it is amazing where the world AMG's go). We are regularly called by new Mercedes dealers selling the intake direct to new car buyers and supply intakes to some very prominent tuners to package with their cars. Our business has mainly been with the trade with professional installers fitting the product and the response has been very positive.

Of course we do not want to insult the shade tree enthusiast but when dealing with the end user, it is necessary to be more sensitive to their experience level and offer instructions that help bolster ones confidence during installation. We are listening closely to the comments the board is giving and are responding as best we can to help our customers feel confident in their install.

On the subject of the clips we did indeed look at manufacturing them. In fact we spent an inordinate amount of time trying to have them made to no avail. The problem is that clips need to be made in the millions to be cost effective. The complex shape of the MB clip uses 3 different stations requiring 3 different hardened steel tools. When amortizing the tooling over a run of 5K pieces we came out to a piece price of over $25 per clip. That is over $100 per kit to our bill of materials not to mention a huge cash outlay to sit on a tiny box of metal clips that, if handled properly, can be easily re-used.

As a manufacturer we are every bit the enthusiast and end user as you guys. We love cars and strive to make products that we ourselves would be happy to get. I apologize if not everyone sees things that way but we do constantly strive to improve and work with our customers.
Originally Posted by Spine55
Interestng!!!??? When i first got the beautifull looking air box i took it to my upscale mercedes mechanic to install it he couldnt. Things didnt fit , maf snsr and the front cover with the short peg clips where ok . I then took it to jerry at eurocharged and winh major juryrigging and silicone seal got the maf sensor to fit seal .However no matter how hard we tried the front cover wouldnt stay down!!!! When we called carbonio they were willing to help but i had already embossed the air boxes with the AMG logo 75 dollars . At that point i just gave up thinking that was the best it was going to be. Now other people are complaining of the same issues i just wonder ??? It is abeautiful piece that matches the other carbon fiber on the car .Oh well it is what it is????!!!!Maybe?
So according to this post, Im not going to act as though I know the level of expertise your installer had, but if he is labeled a mechanic, even the worst in the industry should be able to install a properly fitted intake... No Carbonio?
I mean if the intake is made to the standard of oem, there should be no issues whatsoever, am I correct is saying this?
As for the clips, take $50.00 profit off the intake, make the intake $50.00 more and split the difference of the cost of the clips as no one wants an intake where the installation is half-assed, but EVERYONE who is spending $2000.00 on an intake, is willing to spend $2050.00 if it is to fit properly, I guarantee it!
Not to mention, I understand where you are coming from with tooling points, but there is no way one clip is costing $25.00. And if it is, your getting the run around. Grade 2-8 steel is going for what... $200.00 / ton at this point? So basically, your saying the $25.00 is ALL engineering and tooling per clip?
At the end of the day you claim 1000 units have been sold world wide, I have a hard time believing this forum and this post is the only one out there with complaints...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
It seems that we have a lot of issues regarding Carbonio air intake install and quality.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by carlostossuniam
It seems that we have a lot of issues regarding Carbonio air intake install and quality.
Well I for one am glad this thread was started as I was probably a few days out from making this purchase. Had I begun install and came across these issues, I would have felt terrible about giving my business and hard earned money to this company, who "appears" to be providing a sub par standard intake with regard to fitment.

Edited Post as gunfire may not have been warranted to such degree. lol

I guess at the end of the day I feel one should not have to trim a piece here, or sand a spot there, or silicone seal something over there. The item should be a simple replacement that fits snug without having to worry about the intake popping up in certain locations.

Having said that, the product does look absolutely stunning!

Last edited by Autosport7; 10-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

mbworld
Thank you all for your feedback. We have taken to heart the suggestions made and will be considering them with our engineering and sales teams. We find the comments made helpful and will incorporate them in future solutions. In the meantime we welcome any current or future customers to contact us directly if they have any questions on their installation or questions prior to purchase.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Banned

S550 on order
Received mine today

1 tiny thing I was disappointed about is the MB star transfer thing (just dont wanna break it thats all)...it'd be cool if it already came with one but it's all good...as for the front clip...you can transfer the metal clips from the other piece..you just take a flat head and pop it up on the side..going to try and install the rest tomorrow...looks great though
Old 10-25-2013, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
I'm fitting mine now
Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by mr747
I'm fitting mine now
let us know how it goes...remember to make sure the MAF sensors are facing the right way up and try and use the OEM seals...i remember one guy posted saying it fit better with the OEM seals
Old 10-25-2013, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Will do thanks buds for the reminder
Old 10-25-2013, 01:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I don't know what everyone is complaining about, I am not a mechanic, yes I am a DIY guy, but I work in an office, always have.

Installing this Carbonio intake was one of the easiest things I have done on my car. 2 clips and 10 screws to get the old one out and 2 allen key screws in, and the 10 old screws back in with the rubber washers to protect the CF airbox.

I have had no problems with CELs, my car is still pulling like a train and the MAFs went in perfectly.

Unless our cars MAFs are different or Carbonio got mine right and everyone elses wrong then I believe it may be an installation problem and not a manufacturing problem.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by charliekay
I don't know what everyone is complaining about, I am not a mechanic, yes I am a DIY guy, but I work in an office, always have.

Installing this Carbonio intake was one of the easiest things I have done on my car. 2 clips and 10 screws to get the old one out and 2 allen key screws in, and the 10 old screws back in with the rubber washers to protect the CF airbox.

I have had no problems with CELs, my car is still pulling like a train and the MAFs went in perfectly.

Unless our cars MAFs are different or Carbonio got mine right and everyone elses wrong then I believe it may be an installation problem and not a manufacturing problem.

Did you use the carbino seals or OEM?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Hey used the oem seals
Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Hmmm...when I installed my box last year I ran into the same stuttering issue...thought it was my tranny and adaptation to new oetune. We reset tranny, changed battery, reflashed tune and drove for 5k miles.....I would say adaptation was the key thing. Maf and seating of filter were fine...I am thinking it is more of an adaptation issue. Usually happens in comfort mode. Currently there are no issues anymore after I drove the car in manual mode for the last 2-3 months to have it learn. Stutters a little when cold but normal after 10 minutes.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails Carbonio installed now small issue-image.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I may have sided with the wrong team initially...
Let me post this as my apology lol.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...io-review.html
Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Just installed mine...did have a few things with the MAF sensor but nothing worth mentioning...I did use OEM seals..they seemed perfectly brand new so I just did what charlie did...the only thing I had a issue with was tightening down the screw because I didn't have an allen key ....Car sounds great...hasn't choked and I beat on it for a good 30 minutes...stays cooler too...usually my car runs around 106C-110C and this time it didn't even break 103C and like I said I beat on it purposly trying to break it...it pulls a little bit harder now too...I get the car dyno'd on tuesday so I'll report back

Also I noticed when I took off the stock airboxes that the charcoal filter is basically pitch black...you guys think that's what coulda been causing the car to choke?

Last edited by avery.whss; 10-25-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by mr747
Pic attached
Where did you get that front piece?
Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

mbworld
Originally Posted by Autosport7
I may have sided with the wrong team initially...
Let me post this as my apology lol.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...io-review.html
Autosport7 we accept your apology and hope to welcome you as a customer and happy user

Again as promised and following feedback received on MB World we have uploaded revised installation instructions to better support customers with their install. These can be had by clicking on the wrench on the bottom of the following link:

http://carbonio.com/performance/bran...airboxkit.html
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Originally Posted by avery.whss
Where did you get that front piece?
Gruppe m copy just google c63 carbon air intake and it will pop up

Some of the sponsors sell them as well

All I can say is shop around prices vary
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Banned

S550 on order
my CEL light just came on...car is running fine...it didn't come on for about an hour after driving and now it won't turn off..the one MAF is a tiny tiny bit wiggly but not very much at all..basically as tight as I can go because the way the hole is drilled hits a weird spot on the MAF sensor...anyone else get a CEL after driving?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbonio installed now small issue