Cars been choking lately

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Cars been choking lately

Like the title says....Sometimes when I WOT it...the car chokes hard...like it jerks really bad and doesn't rev past 3k...it's so weird...with and without tune...with stock filters and AFE non-oil ones...I see some other members have the same issue? Although one thing that just happen is it jerked the worst it ever has and then that orange engine light came on and I thought "**** what did I blow up now" but I turned the car off and turned it back on and it's normal again?? - No lights/CEL...Just normal, Just wondering if I should take it to MB or not?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
You can't rev past 3,000 RPM and you got a CEL and your asking if you think you should go to the dealership ??? What do you think ??? I would most cerntly do so. The only way I could find this a legit question is if your out of your warranty.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
You can't rev past 3,000 RPM and you got a CEL and your asking if you think you should go to the dealership ??? What do you think ??? I would most cerntly do so. The only way I could find this a legit question is if your out of your warranty.
I don't have a warranty on my car...I bought it used from some crappy dodge dealership...the only reason I ask is because it's done this a few times before...plus after I turned the car off and on again it was perfectly normal..no issues what so ever...if it was a serious issue wouldn't it be there after the car was shut off?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
I don't have a warranty on my car...I bought it used from some crappy dodge dealership...the only reason I ask is because it's done this a few times before...plus after I turned the car off and on again it was perfectly normal..no issues what so ever...if it was a serious issue wouldn't it be there after the car was shut off?
If it went away after you cycled the car, it sounds like it's an electronic issue. And it ony happens at WOT ?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
If it went away after you cycled the car, it sounds like it's an electronic issue. And it ony happens at WOT ?
Yep only WOT and not very often...it's almost like it's ESP kicking it...I mean it's in ESP-SPORT...Could it be?? I just got brand new tires so maybe when I WOT it..it's trying to break them loose but can't..no idea
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM

C63, 335i
Get the code read. If the CEL light came on, the code is probably still stored. There's no reason why your CEL should come on because you got new tires and went WOT.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by Zeee_Q
Get the code read. If the CEL light came on, the code is probably still stored. There's no reason why your CEL should come on because you got new tires and went WOT.

Just to confirm...this is CEL right? it's not the other "!" on the other side of ESP? ...How do you get the code? I've never done that..or is that something MB has to do?

Also had the car out 15-20mins ago again and beat on it...ran fine..like I said it only happens once in a while outta no where

Last edited by avery.whss; 10-22-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM

C63 AMG
Yes, thats a CEL. Im guessing you dont have a code reader, do you? If not, a place like autozone has them and will read your car for free.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
It could be a sensor shorting out causing throttle issues.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
does it just light up and stay on or blink? If it happens enough- cycling the key on/off isnt going to keep turning it off. it'll just stay on.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
does it just light up and stay on or blink? If it happens enough- cycling the key on/off isnt going to keep turning it off. it'll just stay on.

Stays on...didnt blink

Last edited by avery.whss; 10-24-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Prob time for some new spark plugs or o2 sensors.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
A blinking CEL means something worse than just a CEL. It could be a misfire. In my most recent case, it was my intake manifold gaskets leaking.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
yes, a blinking cel is a misfire once its detected it shuts off the injector for the affected cylinder(s) you need to get this addressed as misfires can definately be harmful.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
Several earlier posts about a similar issue. I think you will find an answer by searching.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
the only possibility of this fixing itself, is if it started right after you filled up with a fresh tank of gas - which was bad. which would be a problem from outside influence and not a mechanical/electrical issue.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 AM

'08 C63, '10 GT-R
Sorry avery.whss I don't mean to hack your thread...
I also have a slight "choking" feeling when driving my car, however it only happens when the car is at cruising speeds (65mph+-) and partial throttle. What I mean by partial throttle is that I am acceleration slowly in S without the car shifting down, therefore staying in 7th. It's happened everyday whenever I commute, but only in the morning. Whenever I am on my way home at night it never happens. No codes, no nothing... Do you guys have any idea what it is?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

S550 on order
yes, a blinking cel is a misfire once its detected it shuts off the injector for the affected cylinder(s) you need to get this addressed as misfires can definately be harmful.

Im going to check the plugs this weekend...when I bought the car it was neglected...when I changed the airfilters they were black so they never were ever changed and I'm going to guess the same with the spark plugs..my guess is they are blacker then black but I'll update this weekend
Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Could it be a throttle positioning sensor?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by D.T.SFK
Sorry avery.whss I don't mean to hack your thread...
I also have a slight "choking" feeling when driving my car, however it only happens when the car is at cruising speeds (65mph+-) and partial throttle. What I mean by partial throttle is that I am acceleration slowly in S without the car shifting down, therefore staying in 7th. It's happened everyday whenever I commute, but only in the morning. Whenever I am on my way home at night it never happens. No codes, no nothing... Do you guys have any idea what it is?
It's fine...hopefully it's something simple...you know what I'm thinking...and it might sound stupid...but conditions...I live in an area with a lot of moisture in the morning...and mine usually only does it when it's morning-ish too...is that a possibility? or am i just making my self sound stupid
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

S550 on order
the only possibility of this fixing itself, is if it started right after you filled up with a fresh tank of gas - which was bad. which would be a problem from outside influence and not a mechanical/electrical issue.
funny you say this because it's usually happening when my car is under half tank of gas..(fuel pump?)...not doing it when it's a full tank i believe
Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
funny you say this because it's usually happening when my car is under half tank of gas..(fuel pump?)...not doing it when it's a full tank i believe
If it is only doing it under a half tank of gas, and also seems more prevalent when moisture is present, I wonder if tank condensation is the issue...?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by Autosport7
If it is only doing it under a half tank of gas, and also seems more prevalent when moisture is present, I wonder if tank condensation is the issue...?
pretty unlikely If its driven regularly. I dont think ya'll know how air tight the evap system is benz cars. Its a royal pain to smoke test the evap system and actually find a leak - when the car says it has one. the car has 2 fuel pumps in the right side of the saddle - closest to the gas gap. It syphons all the feel from the left to the right at 1/2 tank so it doesnt get starved. Keep an eye on your mpg's - level sensors do go bad and stick but usually thats more the car just dieing randomly because it says its got 1/4tank but its actually empty. As for spark plugs they are do at 60k miles, but if you drive hard it'd be advantageous to do them atlest every 40k. the brisk plugs weistec sells are a great alternative to stock and similarly priced. Other than that i would go with intake manifold or manifold gasket leakage problems. You say it only happens in the morning, is this only when the motor is still cold and warming up or after its up to operating temp? Also you mention changing the air filters - did it just start happening after that? too much oil, or you didnt get them sealed right
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

S550 on order
pretty unlikely If its driven regularly. I dont think ya'll know how air tight the evap system is benz cars. Its a royal pain to smoke test the evap system and actually find a leak - when the car says it has one. the car has 2 fuel pumps in the right side of the saddle - closest to the gas gap. It syphons all the feel from the left to the right at 1/2 tank so it doesnt get starved. Keep an eye on your mpg's - level sensors do go bad and stick but usually thats more the car just dieing randomly because it says its got 1/4tank but its actually empty. As for spark plugs they are do at 60k miles, but if you drive hard it'd be advantageous to do them atlest every 40k. the brisk plugs weistec sells are a great alternative to stock and similarly priced. Other than that i would go with intake manifold or manifold gasket leakage problems. You say it only happens in the morning, is this only when the motor is still cold and warming up or after its up to operating temp? Also you mention changing the air filters - did it just start happening after that? too much oil, or you didnt get them sealed right

I was thinking spark plugs...they probably have never been changed and my car is nearing 60,000KM...I just had the entire intake manifold replaced at MB and it was choking before that...and yeah usually when its cold or a very cold day or a day where it's like almost raining but not..on a sunny day it's never done it...and no thats why I changed the airfilters...figured they were old and they were but still does it

P.S are these the plugs?

http://www.weistec.com/m156spark.html

Last edited by avery.whss; 10-24-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
yes those are the plugs. How long ago was your intake done? it may be a parts warranty on something they replaced - like the gaskets. it maybe temperature related once the engine is nice and hot it seals up and like doesnt have the vacuum leak anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cars been choking lately