C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Test drove a 507 - Opinions on COMAND and gearbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Test drove a 507 - Opinions on COMAND and gearbox

So I was lucky enough to be able to test drive a 507 edition coupe yesterday. I've been dreaming about this car for a long time, and it was great to finally get to drive it.

I'm not gonna talk about the obvious qualities of this car, we all know them.

But I would like your opinions as drivers, on the gearbox and the COMAND system. For the record I currently have a 135i, with dual clutch transmission and iDrive.

I really didn't like the gearbox. I drive my 135 in manual mode most of the time, because I like to control what gear I'm in. On the C63, manual mode is slower (i found myself redlining the brand new car several times - oops), and the most annoying is: it doesn't register multiple commands! So if you want to downshift 3 times, triple-clicking the paddles will only get you down one gear. You have to wait for the gear to be engaged to click again. How frustrating! I believe it's really meant to be used as a pure automatic, and manual mode is useless besides a race track. And when you're in Comfort, it doesn't tell you what gear you're in... It's a sports car, I want to drive it like a sports car, please give me control on the transmission! The way I saw it was the transmission was really getting in the way of my driving.

The second thing I found surprisingly outdated was the COMAND system. I mean, compared to my iDrive, it looked like Windows 95! The interface looks really bad, and it didn't leave me a good impression at all. It's probably functional, but god it looks outdated.
Also, I didn't find the AMG Performance apps, is it true that Canadian cars don't get it ?

I really don't want to troll, and I still look at this car and want to own it. But those two things really make me reconsider putting 1300$ every month on a lease or finance.

What's your experience with the gearbox? Do you simply drive it in Comfort or Sport/Sport+ and let it do its thing ?
What about the COMAND? Is there hope for an updated better looking version? I mean software updates are common, but would it actually change the look and feel of this thing...

I only had a 30 min test drive, and I rarely drive cars with real auto gearbox, so maybe I could get used to it, I don't know...
Old 10-26-2013, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
I came out of a e92 m3 with DCT into my 507 coupe - the DCT gearbox is a masterpiece in comparison to the Merc so I do agree with your views. I also used to and prefer to drive in manual mode but in the Merc, if pressing on I cant really use manual as the gear change is a little slow so I also kept hitting the rev limiter. I was advised to use sport + with the paddles and this works - so I can control the gear I am in to an extent but the car will change up for me without hitting the red line so you can make good progress.

Comfort mode is comfort mode so it does what it says so I wouldn't worry about that - it's fine for commuting.

I haven't noticed an issue changing down compard to the m3 but overall, I am very happy with my 507, it is a real occasion to drive so my advice on the gearbox is you get will get used to it and work with it - so in a 30 minute drive you wouldn't be used to it.

The amg performance apps is a cost option in the uk for the 507 so most cars don't have it either. I actually like command so don't really get the windows 95 reference, it does some thing better than idrive, and as someone who has to do conference calls whilst driving - having the keypad is a lot better than having to scroll through a wheel to press the # key

Lastly, the 507 gearbox is not the worst, just not as good as DCT but that should be a small consideration overall as I have experience of a 135i and the 507 is leagues above that IMO.

Enjoy

Last edited by DuncS3; 10-26-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
I used to own a mildly tuned 135i manual which I traded for a Z4 35is (DCT).

I found the Z4 an upgrade over the manual 135i (which was already a good car) in terms of the DCT and handling mainly. The DCT + N54 engine is great match. The 35is stock was faster than the mildly tuned 135i as a result.

I love the responsiveness of the DCT. I was worried it would be inferior to the manual transmission but it clearly isnt. The Getrag BMW DCT is THAT good.
It is disappointing to hear that the Benz MCT can't compare....
Old 10-26-2013, 04:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Sound like these are big issues for you rather than minor dislikes. Both would potentially haunt you every time you drive the car. Probably not the car for you I reckon
Old 10-26-2013, 06:11 AM

C6 Z06, 997 C2S
The gearbox is definitely the biggest gripe I have for the C63...was so close to pulling the trigger but ended up with a C6Z instead

I test drove a 435i and the ZF8 tranny in that car is freaking incredible. The upshifts feel similar to the MCT's in the C63 when both cars are put in sport + mode with automatic shifts, but the paddles' responsiveness at downshifts and upshifts are way better with the ZF8. With the ZF8 you can also tab the downshift paddles multiple times and it just jumps to the gear instantly, which for me as a 3 pedals driver for the past decade is important. For a gearbox with a torque converter the ZF8 is crazy good.

While on the topic the DCT in the Z4 is great (drove one for a few days), though I don't think I'd miss it if I had the ZF8.

Here's to hoping the next C63 will be equipped with a tranny with much more responsive manual inputs

Last edited by csexty3; 10-26-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 AM

BMW
Yes, what I'm concerned about is that the transmission provides a major connection to the car. When I drive the BMW DCT I always, always use manual mode. It's just the way I like to fly and feel connected to the car.

I find the Merc C-class 7speed automatic in sport mode is not too bad. The DCT in the A-Class is not bad either. But neither are as good as the BMW DCT. I haven't tried their 8 speed yet.

So to get decent manual shifts you have to be in Sport+ mode all the time in the C63??
Old 10-26-2013, 08:26 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by grizzly111
Yes, what I'm concerned about is that the transmission provides a major connection to the car.
So to get decent manual shifts you have to be in Sport+ mode all the time in the C63??
Agree on the transmission being a key link to the car. I found it frustrating at first coming from a manual, but am more comfortable with it now. I drive in M mode all the time, and change gears with the shift knob. I've had to adapt a little to the way it works, but am ok with it now.

To OP, if you have your doubts then drive it some more, you want to be confident with such a key part of the driving experience. I don't get the issues with command, it works fine for what it does.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
I'm pretty sure the 2015 C63's DCT will be a much welcomed change. I'm so looking forward to owning one.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
I drove C63 to now A45 Edition 1 what made me smile the most was DCT. It's fast and when you down shift click it twice it will down shift 2 gears but this was not possible in C63.

New C63 have to get this.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Like I have always said mercs have great engines with **** gearboxes if they get the gear box right it will be unbeatable
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 AM

C63
Originally Posted by grizzly111

I am still new to the car/gearbox - only 1500 miles in so someone else may knew better. At first I wold be flooring it on back roads and hitting the limiter as I would change gear but with the slight delay I'd hit the limiter and in these cars they are really noticeable when you hit the limiter, whereas DCT is probably F1 speeds. Really frustrating but I figured I need to get used to it and change slightly before - but someone told me on a forum you can use paddles whilst in sports + so I tried it and was making much better progress, although I would rather be in manual mode. Might be I need more time with it...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
While you might not be able to click the trans down two gears by double clicking the left paddle shifter or pulling the main shift lever to the left twice you can get the trans to shift to the gear which will give maximum acceleration. Simply "press and hold" the left paddle shifter or "pull and hold" the gear shifter to the left. Depending on engine speed the trans will select the optimum gear for maximum acceleration. This will work in the Speedshift 7s not sure about the MCTs.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by Mort
While you might not be able to click the trans down two gears by double clicking the left paddle shifter or pulling the main shift lever to the left twice you can get the trans to shift to the gear which will give maximum acceleration. Simply "press and hold" the left paddle shifter or "pull and hold" the gear shifter to the left. Depending on engine speed the trans will select the optimum gear for maximum acceleration. This will work in the Speedshift 7s not sure about the MCTs.
I did not know that, thanks!

To the OP, did you test drive the one at MB west island?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM

2013 C63 coupe P31
Thanks everyone for all the answers! It's great to hear the experience of other people who went from DCT to MCT. The way I read it, it sounds like driving in Sport+ is the answer ?

I definitely need more time with the car, I think I'll ask for another test drive.

For the COMAND system, it's seems like I'm the only one having issues with it? That's kind of strange. As a software engineer I get to design interfaces and I have trouble with the Merc'sn system. Looks like it was designed by an intern :P. Again maybe I need some more time to use it...

On a side note it's very nice to see the community is so active here!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:03 PM

2013 C63 coupe P31
Originally Posted by Mort
Thanks ! Indeed the sales rep told me that, but I thought it didn't work. I'm gonna try again, because if that works, that would be a great workaround!!

Originally Posted by crazy1eye
To the OP, did you test drive the one at MB west island?
Nope, I went to Silver Star. Does West Island have one? And if so, which color/interior ? Silver star only has black/black interior, which is not what I'd prefer.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:19 PM

2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by alexmtl
Nope, I went to Silver Star. Does West Island have one? And if so, which color/interior ? Silver star only has black/black interior, which is not what I'd prefer.
Yes, they have a coupe, same color combo as the sedan they had 2 months ago pictured below Test drove a 507 - Opinions on COMAND and gearbox-image-3069694439.jpg

Btw, if you pass by, it's right against the window in the showroom so you can see the color combo

Last edited by crazy1eye; 10-26-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Slow Vehicle
Originally Posted by crazy1eye
Yes, they have a coupe, same color combo as the sedan they had 2 months ago pictured below Attachment 270195

Btw, if you pass by, it's right against the window in the showroom so you can see the color combo
Patrick did you go test one out? I wonder how much quicker they are to our p31's!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 PM

C63
I felt bad dissing manual mode so just went out in manual mode for a quick 30 minute hack (in the damp)- used manual all the time - the thing is the car pulls so hard to the limiter you just need to readjust your style from the DCT slightly - I am goin to stick with manual mode for a bit longer as I prefer the full control.

So overall it isn't as good as DCT but the overall package is pretty awesome and the sound on the overrun when in manual mode is amazing
Old 10-26-2013, 01:30 PM

2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by Overspooled
Patrick did you go test one out? I wonder how much quicker they are to our p31's!
No, even know my wife likes the color combo & look & said I should trade up, I figured I shouldn't temp myself

As for our trans, it just takes some getting use to...
Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
BMW's current iDrive system is second-to-none. That said, for me, the COMAND works just fine. I really don't do too much with either system while I'm in the car.

In fact, in the C63, I find myself turning the "radio" down so I can just concentrate on the symphony.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
The C63 is not a sports car. It may be a very fast GT but a sports car it ain't. Due to this very fact, Merc opted to put an automatic in it instead of a manual or a proper DCT like BMW or Porsche. The MCT shifts faster than any other automatic I've been in but it's still an auto (it just uses a wet clutch instead of a torque converter) hence the inability to skip gears.

Unlike on any other BMW I've driven, the massive torque on the M156 from idle on up makes it unnecessary to be in the 5000+ RPM range to get maximum power, so IMHO the MCT is the right choice of transmission for the car. The idea behind it is to keep it a Merc - luxury and elegance first but with sporting credentials, not the other way around which is what BMW's philosophy is. If you're looking for the nervous buzzbox character of the 135i that always sounds like it's straining really hard, the C63 is not for you. No point in expecting the car to be something that it isn't. Sure, the 135i is more involving and more precise. So is a Lotus Elise and an Ariel Atom, but all of them leave something to be desired when you DO want a quiet, uneventful ride. When you're looking for smoothness, I find the jerkiness of the BMW DCTs to be agricultural in comparison.

As for the gear display in Comfort mode (or for that matter any other mode), all you have to do is put the center display on the AMG setting and it always shows the currently selected gear.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 PM

2013 C63 coupe P31
I'm really glad I brought this up on the forums instead of stopping right there. You guys give me back my hope !

I agree that the auto box maybe suits the car better. I'm a manual guy, all my previous cars were manuals before my 135, and even though the DCT is amazing, I find myself yelling at the car the 2% of the time where it doesn't do what I want :P. So I'm sure it will take me some time to get used to it.

I will try the AMG display, along with the other Sport+ and long press for downshift suggestions. I'm sure it will help with the gearbox issues. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Diabolis
The C63 is not a sports car. It may be a very fast GT but a sports car it ain't.
I'd describe the C63 as a hot rod rather than a sports car or a GT.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by alexmtl
I'm really glad I brought this up on the forums instead of stopping right there. You guys give me back my hope !

I agree that the auto box maybe suits the car better. I'm a manual guy, all my previous cars were manuals before my 135, and even though the DCT is amazing, I find myself yelling at the car the 2% of the time where it doesn't do what I want :P. So I'm sure it will take me some time to get used to it.

I will try the AMG display, along with the other Sport+ and long press for downshift suggestions. I'm sure it will help with the gearbox issues. Thanks a lot!
Optimism is good, its a great car, but be prepared for the gearbox to be a dealbreaker for you. If you dont like the gearbox, you wont like the car, and regardless of the spin put on it, the MCT will not give you the same control as a manual.

I'd arrange to get a few hours with the car, so you can really get a feel for the gearbox. If after a few hours you are ok with it, then go for it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Coming from a 2009 C63, I'd have to agree with the assessment of the current MCT. While the old slushbox wasn't quick, it was at least smooth (which I believe ought to be the main advantage of any auto). The MCT is quicker (it's no PDK or DCT, as already pointed out), but Sport and Sport+ aren't very good for street driving; Comfort and Manual are your only practical options. Even the rev-matching blips of the old tranny during downshifts were better. The gearbox is the Achilles heel of the C63, something I hope MB addresses in the near future.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 507 - Opinions on COMAND and gearbox