LSD or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
LSD or not?

Well I was at the dealership today for a normal maintenance and the tech told me my diff was leaking.
I did notice a couple time when jacking the car up that my diff was oily but I couldn't notice any drop spots on the floor. So i wasn't worried.
Turns out my diff seal needs to be redone! 950 $
I will use my extended warranty since I'm covered for powertrain.
Now the question is should I pull the trigger and make them install an aftermarket LSD? Since the car will be grounded for a few days (time for the warranty inspector to check everything is approved) my first thought tells me it is worth it.
What would you guys do?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
LSD is always a wothwhile upograde. Just be aware that installing a LSD is a lot more work than just replacing a seal so there will still be a lot of labor cost on top of tyhe seal replacement labor.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
$950 to replace the seal? Are you kidding me?

We dont even charge that to install a diff.

If it is the side seal, cost should be maybe 3 hours. If its the rear cover its even cheaper in my book. Good thing you have extended warranty because they are taking someone to the cleaners.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by James@ACGAutomotive
$950 to replace the seal? Are you kidding me?

We dont even charge that to install a diff.

If it is the side seal, cost should be maybe 3 hours. If its the rear cover its even cheaper in my book. Good thing you have extended warranty because they are taking someone to the cleaners.

Well it is a shame i don't live near you. Otherwise i would have been at your shop by now
How much are you selling the wavetrac LSD?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
go the wavetrac ab
its a worthwhile upgrade and for the price you have to pay for the seal you can get the same diff for the same price and be LSD
Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 PM

C63 Coupe 507, CLK55 Convertible, X1 35i, 70 GTO convertible, motorcycles
My new car has no LSD and it feels scary compared to my old car...just less confidence-inspiring. Sorry, but I gotta pile on and say you should get it. I am going to install one as soon as I get through the break-in...along with an air-oil separator...and then try to stop at that...gonna hang garlic from rearview mirror and hope that keeps the mod gremlins away.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
It amazes me how many guys spend more money to make more power, and don't spend a dime on getting it applied to the pavement better. Do it. You wont regret it.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 604 C63
It amazes me how many guys spend more money to make more power, and don't spend a dime on getting it applied to the pavement better. Do it. You wont regret it.
For a street application does a LSD make a difference? My understanding was in a strait line a LSD won't do anything for acceleration or application of power, the only help a LSD will be is if you are turning a corner and applying power out of the turn before the car is strait. My understating the LSD doesn't even work until you are turning and applying power, I can sure feel a difference taking a corner and applying power with an LSD vs none LSD since I have had both C63 but in a strait line I can't tell squat. But in a corner to me I feel like I am getting massive improvement in cornering, but taking a 90 degree right turn and powering out of it will burn tires very quickly so I don't do it often.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 AM

C63s AMG W205
It definitely helps going thru corners faster n more controlled. Maintaining a light n rightous amount of throttle will not spin rear wheels and therefore no additional burning of tyres.

Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
For a street application does a LSD make a difference? My understanding was in a strait line a LSD won't do anything for acceleration or application of power, the only help a LSD will be is if you are turning a corner and applying power out of the turn before the car is strait. My understating the LSD doesn't even work until you are turning and applying power, I can sure feel a difference taking a corner and applying power with an LSD vs none LSD since I have had both C63 but in a strait line I can't tell squat. But in a corner to me I feel like I am getting massive improvement in cornering, but taking a 90 degree right turn and powering out of it will burn tires very quickly so I don't do it often.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
LSD is way better.

Yours isn't leaking, it's sweating. Axle seals, mine is doing the same, should be fine for a while, I'm lazy.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by abcut973
Well it is a shame i don't live near you. Otherwise i would have been at your shop by now
How much are you selling the wavetrac LSD?
The wavetrac unit is $985 shipped anywhere in the connected USA

Good in stock!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:30 PM

2012C63AMG:

It is hard to overstate how much these cars need an LSD. In my car, the traction control cuts in any time you apply power while the wheel is turned...and I am in the break-in period driving at low RPMs with smooth throttle applications in C mode. It's nuts. And with LSD, it was not like that. The car is so much faster (because of less stability intervention) and more fun with LSD. I hate to beat it to death, but they are tow different cars with and without...one rips and one is kinda frustrating.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997.2 GT3
LSD is THE best mod for our cars. I installed a Wavetrac earlier this year, and I love it.

It makes the C63 feel so much more playful. It's so great to squeeze on the power through a 90 degree turn and feel the rear end squirm and then grip. Without a LSD, either the ESP cuts in killing all fun or the inside rear wheel spins away stupidly.

If a LSD is fitted, ESP is also much more generous with the oversteer angle.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:40 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by goatfarmer1970
2012C63AMG:

It is hard to overstate how much these cars need an LSD. In my car, the traction control cuts in any time you apply power while the wheel is turned...and I am in the break-in period driving at low RPMs with smooth throttle applications in C mode. It's nuts. And with LSD, it was not like that. The car is so much faster (because of less stability intervention) and more fun with LSD. I hate to beat it to death, but they are tow different cars with and without...one rips and one is kinda frustrating.
You are over playing it…. You are not driving it easy if thats the case… In C mode the car upshifts to 7th gear as quick as it can, thats a load of BS sorry to call you out but its blatant BS. Try driving smoother, sounds like your entering the turn too quickly and too soon, very common driving error.

I have owned 2 C63s one without an LSD and my current one with an LSD, the only difference is when you are turning and applying power, and even then its small you still have to feather the throttle, I am not all about doing power slides etc I am about getting traction and taking off and with my old one I had no issue with proper throttle feathering, the LSD just lets me feather more throttle.

That is all, flame away but to people considering an LSD vs none realize most C63 don't have it, its not that big of a deal, just the fact that someone claims to have their car behave that way while driving it in C mode during break in should tell you the rest is BS. I let my girl friend drive my car all the time and she does so in C mode and after 4 1/2 years of driving two different C63 amgs I know how the cars nature its very tame car under 4k RPM.

Sorry bro don't me to insult you personally I just think you are over exaggerating things a little far.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Just ordered a Quaife from James. Thank you sir. Also, thank you Arsha at Vivid, as your posts were very helpful. We are lucky to have multiple great sponsors.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:47 PM

No offense taken whatsoever. My opinion is just that, an opinion. It may be a factor that I am in Oregon where it is wet and cold, but either way, I am glad to have a place to hash these topics out with well-informed people.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 PM

AMG
Save the money from an LSD and get some driving lessons if you think an LSD makes a huge difference in a C63.

If you want a handling machine around the track, buy an M3. The C63 is very brutal, a 6.2 machine placed in a car that weighs nothing. No matter what you do to the diff it will still handle like a brutal axe murderer. I love it that way. If you know how to drive it shouldn't worry you too much (lsd or not)

LSD will make a bit of a difference on the track, but if you want something that will take corners much better and sharper you're in the wrong car. This thing was made to eat the racetrack not navigate perfectly around it.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
My CL65 is horrible without a LSD. Maybe the C63 isn't, but personally I haven't had a RWD or 4WD vehicle since I drove a winter beater 67 chevy pickup in the 80's that I didn't upgrade to a LSD of one sort or another. Can hardly wait for my Quaife to arrive so I can gety it installed.

IMO if you think a LSD doesn't help a lot then either your car is way underpowered, you never drive on anything but sticky, hot asphalt, or you drive like my gandfather did in his Caddillac.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM

AMG
Or maybe the person knows how to actually drive lol.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Congratulations on the purchase! You will be more then satisfied with your car after it's in!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
I'm not being argumentative it's that I just don't understand anyone down playing a LSD in this car. My 335is did not have one and almost once per drive I wishes it did. That car was 370-400hp. The c63 offers even more power/torque especially the 507. I guess I look at it this way that for anyone asking should they get it? They should. There simply would be ZERO regret and most definitely the opposite. Yes, most C63 don't have it and then again most owners don't even know what it is.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by RawBenz
Or maybe the person knows how to actually drive lol.
Thanks

I laughed when I went to the AMG driving academy I was the only person in the group to be able to control simple over steer in the C63 on the wet where they show you the various stages of traction control to no traction control.

Amazing how sport mode can make an average driver look good but bam no traction and people were spinning and stalling like mad.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM

Thanks Arsha. ACG is local to where I work (and keep another car) so starting a relationship with a shop down there was important...because getting an 8-year-old car serviced at Fletcher Jones is a very expensive way to go...and not really the performance option. Thanks again.

Funny enough, when looking at how this thread has developed, that car (a CLK55 convertible) has no limited slip and I find that it really does not need one...never breaks loose, etc. It's just a different car and I drive it very differently. To 2012C63AMG and RawBenz's point, driving lessons and seat time at a track are always a good idea. I suspect both of them and many other people on this forum are great drivers, capable of managing traction well and putting down fast lap times, etc. But for me, and only me, one of the reasons I own a C63 is because I like to be able to easily overpower the car, to drive it is a way that is fun, even obnoxious, and an LSD makes that kind of driving feel much more predictable and therefore less stressful and more fun. Just my $0.02 and thanks all for a lively discussion.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by goatfarmer1970
Thanks Arsha. ACG is local to where I work (and keep another car) so starting a relationship with a shop down there was important...because getting an 8-year-old car serviced at Fletcher Jones is a very expensive way to go...and not really the performance option. Thanks again.

Funny enough, when looking at how this thread has developed, that car (a CLK55 convertible) has no limited slip and I find that it really does not need one...never breaks loose, etc. It's just a different car and I drive it very differently. To 2012C63AMG and RawBenz's point, driving lessons and seat time at a track are always a good idea. I suspect both of them and many other people on this forum are great drivers, capable of managing traction well and putting down fast lap times, etc. But for me, and only me, one of the reasons I own a C63 is because I like to be able to easily overpower the car, to drive it is a way that is fun, even obnoxious, and an LSD makes that kind of driving feel much more predictable and therefore less stressful and more fun. Just my $0.02 and thanks all for a lively discussion.
Not to insult or start internet fights with anyone just trying to keep you safe and without a hunk of metal around tree or telephone pole but if you are not a great driver then the stuff that an LSD will help you with you don't want to attempt on the street, even a great driver will realize you are never 100% in control, pros still spin out etc. But if you think that LSD is helping keeping you out of trouble and your flicking that traction control off its going to come bite you in the ***.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Oh I like the traction control off too...or sportified when wet. Right now, I am observing the break-in procedure pretty diligently, so it's on. But once broken in, I never drive in full nanny mode...unless it's pissing or I have kids in the car, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LSD or not?