C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Potential ACG Automotive Customers: My Warning to You

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 S63 AMG S and 2018 GLS450
I'm surprised you would go back despite this many faults, after 1st or second time i would be out of there!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Honestly, I would kind of like to hear the otherside of the story, right now this thread is one sided.
Absolutely. I stand by what I said and I would surprised if ACG did not at least admit that the mistakes occurred. My post is not about slandering a company and saying they stole money, lied or were dishonest. My post is about a shop that -- at least in my experiences -- has shown a consistent lack of attention to detail, which resulted in multiple problems and issues with my cars.

I also want to make clear that ACG did do some good work on my cars, there is no question. That is the reason in the past I pubbed them up. I tried to look past the mistakes and thought that as time progressed, and as I addressed these issues with them, the problems would not reoccur. I was wrong, and have no one else to blame but myself for giving them more business time after time.

I also texted and emailed ACG a couple hours prior to posting these threads, alerting them that I was going to post a detailed thread -- motivated by my recent discovery (the scratches to my M3). None of these problems were ones that I hid from ACG and all of a sudden sprung in these posts. I also told ACG once the threads went up.

I am not trying to sabotage or torpedo ACG as a business. But I will be honest, if these issues persisted with other customers from this point on and the "quality control" problems did not get remedied, I would not be upset about them no longer being a viable company.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
^
Pert studied with the Benedictine monks for years, searching for God through prayer, work and reading. He sings his midday prayer and vespers in both English and Latin. He's an especially erudite soul and on a spiritual level that few will ever achieve. Perhaps his level of forgiveness is something that should be applauded rather than denounced.
this explains a lot (I assume what you you say is true)

His post is laden with detail and fact and is non-judgemental. He leaves it to the reader to draw a conclusion.

Honestly he doesn't sound angry or vindictive in the least. He appears to have just wanted to 'get it off his chest' and share some insight that may allow others to be better prepared when dealing with this particular shop.
Sounds like he has moved on and harbors no ill will.

And why rip him for being generous and giving someone a bonus and a meal? People who accumulate some wealth seldom get taken, you don't do that by being a sucker, chump or stupid with $$$$. Just because he can afford to be generous doesn't make him weak.

It seems we are not exposed to enough good things these days, but when we are, we feel compelled to make it 'bad'. Your people I do not understand....

Last edited by Ingenieur; 12-30-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
this explains a lot (I assume what you you say is true)

His post is laden with detail and fact and is non-judgemental. He leaves it to the reader to draw a conclusion.

Honestly he doesn't sound angry or vindictive in the least. He appears to have just wanted to 'get it off his chest' and share some insight that may allow others to be better prepared when dealing with this particular shop.
Sounds like he has moved on and harbors no ill will.

And why rip him for being generous and giving someone a bonus and a meal? People who accumulate some wealth seldom get taken, you don't do that by being a sucker, chump or stupid with $$$$. Just because he can afford to be generous doesn't make him weak.

It seems we are not exposed to enough good things these days, but when we are, we feel compelled to make it 'bad'. Your people I do not understand....
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Dang sorry to hear about your problems Matt, I always wanted to ask you why you stopped buying your HRE from ACG as you normally did, but I didn't want to open a can of worms.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I never had a chance to experience their service cuz the quote I got from them on my HRE was too rich for my blood (wish I was a lawyer like you Matt lol). Good luck in your future projects!!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I'm surprised that ACG hasn't posted up a response yet. They're normally pretty prompt on their responses....
Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
I'm surprised that ACG hasn't posted up a response yet. They're normally pretty prompt on their responses....
There's nothing to say besides admitting fault and promise to make sure this kind of mistakes won't happen in the future
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Sorry to hear that. Over the years with several different automotive projects I too have had many bad experiences by seemingly responsible business professionals. Sad to say but there is an abundance of poor quality workmanship in the automotive world regardless of the type or class of the vehicles.
I had a sit down heart to heart discussion once with a manager of a MB Service department after they failed repeatedly in correcting a problem I had with an ML500. Not only did they fail but they were blatantly negligent. I own a business in aircraft maintenance and I see how this happens. The point I tried to make with that manager was to set a higher standard and focus more on quality control, work on improved final inspection and testing processes. It made no difference, it is a tough business and competent technicians just aren't that easy to find. I just dumped a local shop in Dallas I thought I would try based on their reputation and referrals. After three separate visits they struck out with me. I have learned to cut it off when it starts this way, it only gets worse and becomes very costly.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
perhaps there is nothing to say?
sometimes 'no response' is the best response

The OP crafted the post so as to not impune, slander or defame the shop: only to convey his personal experience. Whether he did so because he's a lawyer and knows the 'rules', or because he is a nice guy. I'll leave it to each reader to form their own opinion. I tend to go with the latter. Because if it was otherwise, a lawyer could take another tack to cause a party that he took issue with some grief; rather than some internet 'bashing'.

People want to classify this as some of the typical internet 'venting'. It is not. We have all seen plenty of that: some entitled twit ranting about some imaginary slight the big bad 'man' imposed upon him. lol.

He gave them ample opportunity to give him the service he deserved, they did not respond. He cut ties and laid out his reasons. There is something healing about writing something out. It some how allows you to expel it and move on. He seems to have done that.

We seem to have the tendency to attack when we see 'character', not sure why: jealousy? fear? envy? perhaps it makes us nervous since we see so little of it, in ourselves, and others. As someone said, we should be appreciating this, maybe even emulate, not denigrating it: episodes like this seem to be too far and few between.

I'm not sure many of us would respond as he did. I probably would want 'satisfaction', or more succinctly, revenge: how dare they treat me so callously! I'm important! Don't they know that!! I'm special dammit!!!

as someone's mommy once said: your heinny is special, unique, it's different than everyone elses

Last edited by Ingenieur; 12-31-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roswell
Dang sorry to hear about your problems Matt, I always wanted to ask you why you stopped buying your HRE from ACG as you normally did, but I didn't want to open a can of worms.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I never had a chance to experience their service cuz the quote I got from them on my HRE was too rich for my blood (wish I was a lawyer like you Matt lol). Good luck in your future projects!!
Much appreciated!! Yeah, the promise I almost always make to shops like ACG is that if I have a problem, I will bring it to their attention first...and only as a last resort would I ever think about airing out my grievances on the internet. In fact, ACG was the first company I have ever discussed in a negative light based on my individual experiences.

As far as the HRE issue, I was actually getting a good price. It wasn't the money that was the problem, it was that they new for over a month prior to me placing my order that the pricing discounts they could give had changed. And then it took them a week until after placing my order for them to finally inform me that they would have to charge me over $1000 more than I originally was quoted (and the price that I based my 50% deposit on). I could have held them to that original price, but I they are a small business and I knew I would never buy wheels from them again, so didn't feel the need to add insult to injury. The guys at Wheel Enhancement are an absolute dream to deal with and as HRE's West Coast Distributor, they have a direct line into HRE if there are any issues. That isnt a pub for them necessarily, but insight into why I am so happy no longer ordering wheels from ACG.

Originally Posted by - Guilty -
There's nothing to say besides admitting fault and promise to make sure this kind of mistakes won't happen in the future
Originally Posted by JRSJR65
Sorry to hear that. Over the years with several different automotive projects I too have had many bad experiences by seemingly responsible business professionals. Sad to say but there is an abundance of poor quality workmanship in the automotive world regardless of the type or class of the vehicles.
I had a sit down heart to heart discussion once with a manager of a MB Service department after they failed repeatedly in correcting a problem I had with an ML500. Not only did they fail but they were blatantly negligent. I own a business in aircraft maintenance and I see how this happens. The point I tried to make with that manager was to set a higher standard and focus more on quality control, work on improved final inspection and testing processes. It made no difference, it is a tough business and competent technicians just aren't that easy to find. I just dumped a local shop in Dallas I thought I would try based on their reputation and referrals. After three separate visits they struck out with me. I have learned to cut it off when it starts this way, it only gets worse and becomes very costly.
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
perhaps there is nothing to say?
sometimes 'no response' is the best response

The OP crafted the post so as to not impune, slander or defame the shop: only to convey his personal experience. Whether he did so because he's a lawyer and knows the 'rules', or because he is a nice guy. I'll leave it to each reader to form their own opinion. I tend to go with the latter. Because if it was otherwise, a lawyer could take another tack to cause a party that he took issue with some grief; rather than some internet 'bashing'.

People want to classify this as some of the typical internet 'venting'. It is not. We have all seen plenty of that: some entitled twit ranting about some imaginary slight the big bad 'man' imposed upon him. lol.

He gave them ample opportunity to give him the service he deserved, they did not respond. He cut ties and laid out his reasons. There is something healing about writing something out. It some how allows you to expel it and move on. He seems to have done that.

We seem to have the tendency to attack when we see 'character', not sure why: jealousy? fear? envy? perhaps it makes us nervous since we see so little of it, in ourselves, and others. As someone said, we should be appreciating this, maybe even emulate, not denigrating it: episodes like this seem to be too far and few between.

I'm not sure many of us would respond as he did. I probably would want 'satisfaction', or more succinctly, revenge: how dare they treat me so callously! I'm important! Don't they know that!! I'm special dammit!!!

as someone's mommy once said: your heinny is special, unique, it's different than everyone elses
I think you all have the correct assumption of why there has been no response -- it could also be because of the holidays. I tried to carefully and narrowly draft of original post so that it stayed within the real of factual and did not delve into character assassinations. I gain nothing by my post. I dont get discounts, I dont get favors and I am not trying to help any other vendor by giving my negative accounts of ACG. I know people who have gone to ACG and have had no issues. But I know a lot more that -- on a smaller scale -- like me have dealt with several quality control matters.

I love forums like these because you learn so much...and while not everything you read is the truth or black/white, you can at least get some perspective on whether a certain mod is right for you or whether a vendor is reputable enough for you to trust. That is why I posted, to share my experience. I am not a baller by any stretch. So the money I spend on my cars is money I worked hard for and money I could otherwise use spend elsewhere. I care about details -- like many of you on here; and so when I spend my hard earned money on products and the labor to install them, I may not expect perfection...but I do expect the entity I am paying to be as meticulous as possible.

When I decided to do my supercharger for my M3 this fall, I remember talking to Sean at ACG. He quoted me a price. I looked around at other shops, and ultimately decided to go with MRF Engineering in Lake Forest (about 60 miles north of me). Sean asked me after I told him I was going somewhere else, what made me choose them over ACG. I told him it wasn't a price issue, but the fact that: 1) ACG had never installed a supercharger on a BMW before; 2) the past quality control issues I listed about the BMW mods installed by ACG I had done up to that point; and 3) the fact that my cars had never been returned to me on the day or time I was promised. I told Sean, mincing no words...that ACG just doesnt pay attention to the details and that needs to be remedied. Since then I never bought another mod from them.

If any of you have further questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
your patience was infinitely generous. I would have been done after the excuses surrounding incident #1.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Matt you are a monk.... you bast..rd!!!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63, LS600
I used to go to a shop in New York called RPMNorth and Craig, that ran the shop, moved out to Cali somewhere to run a place called WORLD Motorsports. Once he left here I have been in a similar situation of not knowing where to bring my car.

I don't know how far World Motorsports is from you but you should look them up and see if they are close to where you are. They are located in Los Angeles.

Craig is a very straightforward easy to deal with person that was really honest and fair. He was far from the lowest cost shop around but the shop was many of the local New Yorkers favorite shop to go to. He used to have killer BBQ's and he would have car meets on Thursday nights. It was like a fun a friendly family atmosphere.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vic55
Matt you are a monk.... you bast..rd!!!!!
Only because of the celibacy part. But that's not by choice!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Thank you for warning us. Very courageous of you.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Only because of the celibacy part. But that's not by choice!
Not to be personal Matt, but why is a rich lawyer like u still single? Too picky with woman (like u are with tuner shops j/k lol) or too busy modding cars? Lol
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roswell
Not to be personal Matt, but why is a rich lawyer like u still single? Too picky with woman (like u are with tuner shops j/k lol) or too busy modding cars? Lol
Well I definitely don't have so much money to get any woman I want, and I'm sure some of the OCD behavior I exhibit I with my wheel purchases correlates to why I am single. Lastly, San Diego is not like Brazil where there is an overwhelmingly higher ratio of women to men. They don't call it "Man Diego" for nothing.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
If you move to NYC you won't be single for too long. lol

Girls are what helping me survive in this city hah
Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by - Guilty -
If you move to NYC you won't be single for too long. lol

Girls are what helping me survive in this city hah
After going to college and law school in the Midwest for 7 years, I can't do any more winters.

Interesting update: ACG blocked me from the Instagram but still hasn't responded -- for the benefit of enthusiasts on here -- to any of my posts.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
After going to college and law school in the Midwest for 7 years, I can't do any more winters.

Interesting update: ACG blocked me from the Instagram but still hasn't responded -- for the benefit of enthusiasts on here -- to any of my posts.
I have been quietly watching this thread since it started, waiting for the other side of the story. I have been on this board since 2008 and ACG has been here just as long or longer, I have never read anything bad about them in that time, they seem like one of the handful of good vendors still out there. I have met James and hung out at a few events, seems like a good guy to me. If they really blocked you from Instagram that is the most childish thing I have ever heard. There are always 3 sides to every story(your side, their side and the truth) but the fact that they have not chimed in to give their version yet speaks volumes to me as a as an outside 3rd party observer, to put it bluntly they look guilty as hell at this point. They might think they are taking the high road by keeping quiet rather than get into the inevidable pissing match that these things usually turn into but you have not even been that harsh on them, your first post actually praises them so I am not sure why they do not chime in. If they do not want to have it turn into a public pissing match they should at least be reaching out in private to you.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
I have been quietly watching this thread since it started, waiting for the other side of the story. I have been on this board since 2008 and ACG has been here just as long or longer, I have never read anything bad about them in that time, they seem like one of the handful of good vendors still out there. I have met James and hung out at a few events, seems like a good guy to me. If they really blocked you from Instagram that is the most childish thing I have ever heard. There are always 3 sides to every story(your side, their side and the truth) but the fact that they have not chimed in to give their version yet speaks volumes to me as a as an outside 3rd party observer, to put it bluntly they look guilty as hell at this point. They might think they are taking the high road by keeping quiet rather than get into the inevidable pissing match that these things usually turn into but you have not even been that harsh on them, your first post actually praises them so I am not sure why they do not chime in. If they do not want to have it turn into a public pissing match they should at least be reaching out in private to you.
JCart I couldnt have written it better myself. As you pointed out, I praised them in the opening post for being honest good guys. And I have readily acknowledged that they have done some good work on my cars. I also state and actually did, give them a heads up before and after I posted these threads (and as me being blocked from the Instagram evidences - they at least have some idea I posted -- otherwise why would I be blocked)? Also, for the record, I have not posted anything negative on Yelp, their instagram or mine.

Just so you know I am not making this up:

Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
JCart I couldnt have written it better myself. As you pointed out, I praised them in the opening post for being honest good guys. And I have readily acknowledged that they have done some good work on my cars. I also state and actually did, give them a heads up before and after I posted these threads (and as me being blocked from the Instagram evidences - they at least have some idea I posted -- otherwise why would I be blocked)? Also, for the record, I have not posted anything negative on Yelp, their instagram or mine.

Just so you know I am not making this up:
I do not think you are making anything up at this point, I believe your claims and IMO they look guilty for not either responding to this thread or reaching out to you in private. I am sure I am not the only person who has been watching this thread who has come to a similar conclusion. To be honest when I first read this thread I questioned your claims because of ACG steller track record ere on MB World with MB/AMG customers. Their lack of a response has made me question why they have not reached out. Trust me I have had problems with two vendors on here in the past(evosport and MHP) and I know how these threads usually play out, both parties tell their sides of the story, both sides sling some mud and the problem usually(not always in my case) gets rectified.

I am staying out of it now since I have no issues with either you or ACG.

Good Luck and hope things work out for you.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

More of ACGs handiwork I discovered today when removing my front lip from my M5 (I'm referring to the black paint chips, not the 3M tape debris):

Last edited by Pertplus; 01-03-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
man I'm glad I found this thread...I applaud you for your thoughtfulness and candor. We owe it to each other as enthusiasts to share this kind of information so that the very best vendors can get our business and flourish.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
The lip came off with glue?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential ACG Automotive Customers: My Warning to You