Royal Purple Oil Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Sorry to hear about your license bro!
So I just got home about an hour ago. Started the car and it purred like it normally does, no ticking, tapping, pinging of any kind.
Checked my oil and it appears to be very slightly low, if at all.
Drove it around not beating on it, and nothing, no ticks of any kind.
Looks like RP breaks down under high heat even with only having roughly 2800-3000 miles on the change.
Looks like I will turn to something I have some experience with.
I will try the Motul. I ran it in all of my MX bikes with zero issues, give it a whirl here.

Thanks for the post mr747.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I ended up going with Mobile 1 Formula M this time around with another Wix filter. I will post up and let you guys know if my temps seem to be the same or not...
After checking my oil again this weekend, it did appear a bit lower than my initial read the other day. I added a qt of RP and all ticking has ceased even at hot temps.
Seems my oil light warning this weekend has aided in fixing the problem I was sensing last weekend. Thank you MB!
Old 11-29-2023, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just looking
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
a good synthetic like Mobil 1 can be run at 250F (sump temp, bear in mind it goes thru the cooler before returning to the engine 20-30 degrees cooler) continuously without issue

what matters is the change, if you are running at 220 consistently, and then it starts to increase there is a problem

our oilcoolers hve a thermostat that is designed to supply the engine with oil at a given setpoint (I'm guessing 210F or so) so if the oil in the sump is 210 vs 220, all it does is closes the thermostat, but the engine still sees 210F

I would also mention if a given engine is running sump oil at 220, and using a different oil at 200, the different oil is not removing as much heat (lower friction can't make that much of a delta)

interesting: Is Royal Purple recommended, top right
also page 7 lower right
useful life at 250C ~1000 hours depending on type
assuming 8000 mile changes ~ 250 hours, a small fraction at high load
Previous owner of my truck ran RP. It's spotless under the valve cover. I mean unreal clean. My truck ran smooth on it and quiet. Don't know much more than that. I'm still interested in it.