Royal Purple Oil Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Royal Purple Oil Review

For those of you interested, you may remember, I posted a thread a while back regarding my first oil change.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...il-change.html

Just to quickly reiterate, I purchased my car with a little over 42k miles on it. I have had the car for roughly 4 or 5 months I would say. Since I purchased the vehicle I have put around 1,000 miles on it, bringing me to just over 43k.
I bought the car from a Chevy dealership and didn't remember to ask when I purchased it, if the oil had been changed at their dealership prior to selling it to me, and if so, what they were running in it.
This brought me to the decision to change the oil prior to a 5k mileage interval.
My original thread produced some attention as I decided to run Royal Purple oil. Some feedback was positive and as you could imagine some was negative. I appreciate both points of view as it helped me make my decision to move forward with my plans of running the oil.
Trying to leave the politics out of this thread I wanted to give a quick synopsis of my experience thus far running the Royal Purple product. I currently have somewhere around 20-30 miles on the oil change if I had to guess.

Prior to changing the oil, since I didn't know any better, I though the car ran great. Seemed to run very smooth with no hesitations. I was typically running right between the 80 and 100 hash mark on the temp gauge.

Again, keep in mind I don't know the original oil product, nor the miles that were put on it.

Upon completing the oil change I did notice a few things.
- The car definitely seems to run a little smoother, again, it wasn't rough before by any means, but did notice a little difference there for sure.
- The temps didn't change much, it does hover a little closer to the 80 hash mark now, but still ventures closer to 90 from time to time.
- I did not notice an increase in any sort of power delivery. If there was some gain, it was minimal, and unrecognizable.
- I can't say for sure if my mpg's changed, way to hard to tell in this car.

At the end of the day I am happy with the product so far. I will probably update this thread after a few hundred miles and let you guys know what I am experiencing.

Happy Modding!

Last edited by Autosport7; 01-13-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
pfl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG, M
Thank you for the detailed review. I too also have used Royal Purple Race formula in the car. In my case, I haven't noticed any changes (power, heat, etc.) from the standard oil in the car. I will probably go back to the standard oil on next oil change.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Could you keep us updated at about 1,000 miles into the change?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Did you ever note any change in oil temps on the AMG display? Also, what viscosity are you running?

Edit: just saw in the other thread. 5w40.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pfl
Thank you for the detailed review. I too also have used Royal Purple Race formula in the car. In my case, I haven't noticed any changes (power, heat, etc.) from the standard oil in the car. I will probably go back to the standard oil on next oil change.
I don't know if I would say it was detailed, but your welcome.
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Could you keep us updated at about 1,000 miles into the change?
For sure.

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Did you ever note any change in oil temps on the AMG display? Also, what viscosity are you running?

No I didn't, but I can next time I have her out of the garage. I will post it up when I do.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
What would REALLY be useful is a UOA if you get around to it. I'd be more than curious to see one on RP.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8

After some spirited city driving (stop/go- stop /go), I am having oil temps ranging from 202-206.

May as well post pic here as well...

Last edited by Autosport7; 01-13-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
I believe that with motor oil, as long as you're running the correct viscosity and changing the oil at 5-6k intervals, you should be fine.

If you want to get technical and specific with brands of oils, all you really need to do it to research online about the oils in question amd compare their flash points and viscosity at low and high temperatures. Based on your climates and driving conditions, it should point you to which brand of oil to use. Just my 0.02
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
a good synthetic like Mobil 1 can be run at 250F (sump temp, bear in mind it goes thru the cooler before returning to the engine 20-30 degrees cooler) continuously without issue

what matters is the change, if you are running at 220 consistently, and then it starts to increase there is a problem

our oilcoolers hve a thermostat that is designed to supply the engine with oil at a given setpoint (I'm guessing 210F or so) so if the oil in the sump is 210 vs 220, all it does is closes the thermostat, but the engine still sees 210F

I would also mention if a given engine is running sump oil at 220, and using a different oil at 200, the different oil is not removing as much heat (lower friction can't make that much of a delta)

interesting: http://www.mne.psu.edu/chang/me462/syn_vs_min.pdf page 8, top right
also page 7 lower right
useful life at 250C ~1000 hours depending on type
assuming 8000 mile changes ~ 250 hours, a small fraction at high load

Last edited by Ingenieur; 01-12-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:58 PM
pfl

AMG, M
Originally Posted by Autosport7
After some spirited city driving (stop/go- stop /go), I am having oil temps ranging from 202-206.
I assume you're referring to the coolant temp here. Oil should be over 215 at normal driving without pushing unless you live in extremely cold areas?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pfl
I assume you're referring to the coolant temp here. Oil should be over 215 at normal driving without pushing unless you live in extremely cold areas?
No it was the oil temp. Coolant was 197 while oil was at 206. I will post a pic once I get to the office.
I live in Pittsburgh PA, it can get pretty cold here for sure, but temp was in low 50's on this particular day.

Pic uploaded in first post.

Last edited by Autosport7; 01-13-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
pfl

AMG, M
No it was the oil temp. Coolant was 197 while oil was at 206. I will post a pic once I get to the office.
I live in Pittsburgh PA, it can get pretty cold here for sure, but temp was in low 50's on this particular day.

Pic uploaded in first post.

Wow, makes me wish I had a pre 2012 C63. My drive around town not get on it oil temp is 227 and after about 45-60 sec of hard driving, I'll see upwards of 265 easy. Loving the AMG
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pfl
Wow, makes me wish I had a pre 2012 C63. My drive around town not get on it oil temp is 227 and after about 45-60 sec of hard driving, I'll see upwards of 265 easy. Loving the AMG
Lol - No it doesnt!

Keep in mind this was not what I would call beating on it, this was in an area you could safely hit speeds up to 60-70mph very quickly and then come to red light. So I was def revving her a bit (upper r's), but not killin it. This pic was taken after about 35-40 mins worth of driving.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pfl
there is a problem with your car if it hits 265F in less than a minute

I can flog mine up a mountain for 10 minutes at 4k-5k rpm and only see 225-230F, and as soon as I let off drops down to 220F
ambient temps of 50F
Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM

2007 CLK63
Royal Purple Vs Major

I have have a CLK63 Cabrio with 17,000k miles. I have carbon fiber Eurocharged the air intake and boosted the ECO/93 Oct.

I have been researching synthetic oils and was considering Royal Purple but had reservations due to the mixed bag of comments. I found a test of the major high performance synthetics including Royal Purple and it appears that Pennzoil Ultra significantly was the best performing major brand. Disappointedly Mobil 1 and Castrol were dragging up the rear

Link: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf
Old 03-24-2014, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by tfthach13
I believe that with motor oil, as long as you're running the correct viscosity and changing the oil at 5-6k intervals, you should be fine.

If you want to get technical and specific with brands of oils, all you really need to do it to research online about the oils in question amd compare their flash points and viscosity at low and high temperatures. Based on your climates and driving conditions, it should point you to which brand of oil to use. Just my 0.02

Umm... I am going to assume you are talking about MB-spec approved oils for your car, not just the viscosity. The additive package and the base stock they start with makes a huge difference in terms of engine wear and how long the oil "lasts" before you need to change it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Benzliker
I have have a CLK63 Cabrio with 17,000k miles. I have carbon fiber Eurocharged the air intake and boosted the ECO/93 Oct.

I have been researching synthetic oils and was considering Royal Purple but had reservations due to the mixed bag of comments. I found a test of the major high performance synthetics including Royal Purple and it appears that Pennzoil Ultra significantly was the best performing major brand. Disappointedly Mobil 1 and Castrol were dragging up the rear

Link: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

Wouldn't touch either one -- and besides, you shouldn't be running 5W30 in an M156 engine.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
This is a tried and proven mid-SAPS oil which has all the right approvals that I'm looking for. I'm using it in the M156 AMG and S54 BMW M.

http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1357663396
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
206F (96.6c) is very low for oil temp after hard driving.

My car (in Australia on a 30c Day (86F) oil temp displays 102c (215F)
Spirited driving will see it go up to 109c (229F)

My E63 (W211), after a HARD trashing, highest i ever saw was 117c (242F)

ML63 (W164) same circumstances, same results as above.

Running Mobil 1 ESP 5w40
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
A few months later...
I have a hundred or so more miles on this oil change (I don't drive the C all that much) at this point.
I am heading over to the Poconos Raceway for the Roll Out To Reach Out Race Event on the 5th of April, this will give it a good test. I will be sure to track and take photos of the temp gauge to get back to this thread and post up the results.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
a good synthetic like Mobil 1 can be run at 250F (sump temp, bear in mind it goes thru the cooler before returning to the engine 20-30 degrees cooler) continuously without issue

what matters is the change, if you are running at 220 consistently, and then it starts to increase there is a problem

our oilcoolers hve a thermostat that is designed to supply the engine with oil at a given setpoint (I'm guessing 210F or so) so if the oil in the sump is 210 vs 220, all it does is closes the thermostat, but the engine still sees 210F

I would also mention if a given engine is running sump oil at 220, and using a different oil at 200, the different oil is not removing as much heat (lower friction can't make that much of a delta)

interesting: http://www.mne.psu.edu/chang/me462/syn_vs_min.pdf page 8, top right
also page 7 lower right
useful life at 250C ~1000 hours depending on type
assuming 8000 mile changes ~ 250 hours, a small fraction at high load

Excellent point - and something that most people fail to realize as it is somewhat "counter-intuitive". All other things being equal, if one oil shows you a 20 degree drop in oil temperature vs. another, it doesn't mean that the "cooler" oil makes your engine run cooler - in fact the opposite is often true. It simply means that the oil has a lower thermal conductivity and it is removing less of the heat produced by the engine than the "hotter" oil. There are engine parts that can't be effectively cooled by the coolant either because of their location or because of high temperatures which would result in coolant evaporation, and here the engine oil acts both as the coolant and the lubricant.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Excellent point - and something that most people fail to realize as it is somewhat "counter-intuitive". All other things being equal, if one oil shows you a 20 degree drop in oil temperature vs. another, it doesn't mean that the "cooler" oil makes your engine run cooler - in fact the opposite is often true. It simply means that the oil has a lower thermal conductivity and it is removing less of the heat produced by the engine than the "hotter" oil. There are engine parts that can't be effectively cooled by the coolant either because of their location or because of high temperatures which would result in coolant evaporation, and here the engine oil acts both as the coolant and the lubricant.
This is an interesting bit of information and make perfect sense.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
For those of you interested, you may remember, I posted a thread a while back regarding my first oil change.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...il-change.html

Just to quickly reiterate, I purchased my car with a little over 42k miles on it. I have had the car for roughly 4 or 5 months I would say. Since I purchased the vehicle I have put around 1,000 miles on it, bringing me to just over 43k.
I bought the car from a Chevy dealership and didn't remember to ask when I purchased it, if the oil had been changed at their dealership prior to selling it to me, and if so, what they were running in it.
This brought me to the decision to change the oil prior to a 5k mileage interval.
My original thread produced some attention as I decided to run Royal Purple oil. Some feedback was positive and as you could imagine some was negative. I appreciate both points of view as it helped me make my decision to move forward with my plans of running the oil.
Trying to leave the politics out of this thread I wanted to give a quick synopsis of my experience thus far running the Royal Purple product. I currently have somewhere around 20-30 miles on the oil change if I had to guess.

Prior to changing the oil, since I didn't know any better, I though the car ran great. Seemed to run very smooth with no hesitations. I was typically running right between the 80 and 100 hash mark on the temp gauge.

Again, keep in mind I don't know the original oil product, nor the miles that were put on it.

Upon completing the oil change I did notice a few things.
- The car definitely seems to run a little smoother, again, it wasn't rough before by any means, but did notice a little difference there for sure.
- The temps didn't change much, it does hover a little closer to the 80 hash mark now, but still ventures closer to 90 from time to time.
- I did not notice an increase in any sort of power delivery. If there was some gain, it was minimal, and unrecognizable.
- I can't say for sure if my mpg's changed, way to hard to tell in this car.

At the end of the day I am happy with the product so far. I will probably update this thread after a few hundred miles and let you guys know what I am experiencing.

Happy Modding!

Okay so it has been roughly 8 months and about 3000 miles since I published this thread.
I wanted to give an update on what I have found.

As described in the thread above I went with Royal Purple and a new filter back in January. Since then I have put roughly 2800 miles on the car (Not my daily so she spends a bit of time in the garage). I will say there have been a lot of short lived errand running drives on this oil change even though the mileage doesn't represent seat time.

Up until this point I can honestly say I have been satisfied with my choice to run this oil.
The temps are staying right around where they were when I initially put it in (206 - 215).
I have driven it hard at times, but never for more than 5-8 seconds at a time. I have put a few short lived highway pulls through it that I would not consider beating on it at all (ran a CTSV a few times and maybe one or two other cars), not an avid street racer, but whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Yesterday I went on a car cruise with about 20-25 cars. During this cruise driving was spirited at times, but mostly nothing over 4k rpm.
I found myself sitting beside a block wall in the city of Pittsburgh and had my music down along with windows. I heard what I am certain was "valve tap", I thought for sure it must have been the car ahead/behind me. As I paid more attention to the noise I realized it was my car. I took a look at my temp gauge (hash marks) and it did appear a bit higher than normal (like a tad bit, nothing concerning) so I figured at this point I needed to look into this a bit.

I will go home today start the car and let it run for a bit then check my levels and see if it is still tapping.

If it is not low and or tapping I am going to assume at this time it is due to viscosity breakdown and will obviously change out the oil and filter.

I will update tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know what I find.

I am however changing the oil at this point regardless of my findings and will more than likely head in a different direction next time around. I will probably run the MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5W-40 and see how it does.

Last edited by Autosport7; 09-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
^^^i have been running motul on my last 3 oil changes although i change my oil every 5000kms i can say they i have not experienced any tapping or heard any noises.
i have not driving much in the last 12 months as i have had no license but when i do drive it i drive it very hard

the car sits in the garage most of the time and it doesnt get started

I am happy with Motul oil and recommend it to anyone

good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Oil Review