Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Questions for previous cls55/e55 owners

Hey guys,

For those of you who have owned the cls55/e55 I was wondering if you had any input on how they stack up compared to the c63. I feel like they would be quicker in a straight line but the c63 would feel lighter/more nimble?

For reference, I'm looking at buying a "play" car and swapping out the RS4 come spring time. I feel like I can get away with driving the c63 or even whichever 55 I'd end up with in the winter time relatively worry free. The RS4 is overkill for me seeing as I seldom venture from my house and especially when the roads are particularly bad.

I still like the idea of having two cars. The RS4 just isn't necessarily for me. It is too... tame. Also, they would be a relatively even switch in terms of cost and I may even save a little on going with the 55's. I'd most likely see myself getting into an 06 (I know that's the only year for the cls55).

Anyway, long story short, I am just looking for how they compare to the C63 just so I can have some kind of reference with what to expect. Lastly, I have looked around for a dealer close to me that has them but they just aren't around so I'd have to end up buying one and having in shipped in from my private dealer.

Thanks for the insight.

- PS - If I am to be honest I am hoping that people say good things about the cls because I absolutely love the shape of the car. I'm into those awkward looking cars like my old 135i and there just isn't anything else on the road that is like the cls. Maybe the A7 comes close, but still.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
the 55k cars have gobs of low end torque. effortless driving. the top end is decent but you can tell around 5k it's running out of steam. If you live in a real hot area you'll notice heat soak if you start really getting on it when doing consecutive bursts. they have much better ride quality then a c63 also. The transmission is the 5spd so you pretty much hit 100mph in 2nd gear. The manual mode is extremely lazy and the shifts in general arent nearly as snappy as the 7 speed in the c63. Very fun cars, a tune and crank pulley to run more boost really wake them up alot. the air suspension is nice aswell because it has the raise mode which enables you a good 2" extra of ground clearance. Ofcourse the e/cls cars have more things to go wrong - for instance the air struts / compressor so keep in mind maint. will be alittle pricier than the C . I'd recommened sticking to the later model ones as the early 03/04 had a ton of audio/radio problems. Also try to avoid the panoramic roofs they squeak and rattle alot. Try and get one with distronic - radar cruise control it's great to have if you use the highway and dont really feel like flogging on the car.
either that or consider blower for the C and maybe get a new cla as a spare car.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
ive both ... first of all ... does NOT run out of steam around 5k.

the 55 is a different kinda beast compares to 63.

55 has endless tq and with little bit of mods its fast as hell. as for heat soak, a pump and a HE takes care of that. ( not expensive)

its def fast then a 63 going straight, but when it comes to turning ....... its like a boat.... not good at all.

I still like my 55 more ...because im more of a drag and cruise person .

test drive one ... its an epic engine.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

btw .... I feel 10 times more boss in my e55 :p
Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I can't seem to really find any in my area to test drive. However, I would prefer a cls55 over my rs4 in terms of daily use. That 55 engine intrigues me and I feel like for minimal amounts of work you just get absurd amounts of torque.

I know about that air ride. I've already replaced the suspension on my RS4 so eh, whats another suspension replacement?

dchl21 - drag/cruise car sounds like something right up my alley for a cruiser. I'll have to look into this.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
cls is in essence the same exact chassis/parts only slightly stiffer. you'll like either e or cls over an rs4 big time. Unless it's a manual. going from manual to auto always hurts alittle. either way it'll feel like a rocket compared to the rs4, i always loved the way the looked. finally drove an rs4 and my expectations were far greater than the car could offer.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

don't worry about the air ride... its ok .. cheap to lower with star, and another 8-900 if u want a lowering module..move it up and down whenever you want,..or get links for dirt cheap just stay one height.

cls is beautiful. do it... you will not regret it.. I wanted one but I got a good deal on my E so I settled.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
cls is in essence the same exact chassis/parts only slightly stiffer. you'll like either e or cls over an rs4 big time. Unless it's a manual. going from manual to auto always hurts alittle. either way it'll feel like a rocket compared to the rs4, i always loved the way the looked. finally drove an rs4 and my expectations were far greater than the car could offer.
I find the same. I'm slightly disappointed with the rs4. It's a great car for the snow. But oh my god does it suck gas hard. Harder than the AMG even. I don't even care about mpg's but it was just one more thing. I just feel like I'd enjoy a 55 more than this, and still be ok in the snow.

Originally Posted by dchl21
don't worry about the air ride... its ok .. cheap to lower with star, and another 8-900 if u want a lowering module..move it up and down whenever you want,..or get links for dirt cheap just stay one height.

cls is beautiful. do it... you will not regret it.. I wanted one but I got a good deal on my E so I settled.
Not worried too much about the cost of lowering it, more so the cost of fixing/replacing it. The cls looks amazing. My only gripe about it was the headlights and the inside of the housing especially on a black car. However, I can just black those out and that sets the car off. Not only that, I can find a cls with lower miles than my rs4 for less money as well.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

make sure you get 06. the SBC unit has problems on a lot of the 55ks

Mercedes covers a 10yr recall for free.

its like a $4000 job. mine went cra last yr and thank GOD!!!! I got it done for free.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

n V m ...cls55 only 06 ha ha ha
Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I was under the impression 06 is the only year of the cls55. Either way, I'd only get an 06 anyway for either the e or cls.