C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Coupe Seats in a Sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63
Coupe Seats in a Sedan?

Just wondering if its possible to replace the sedan seats with the coupe seats? I personally love the coupe's adjustable head rest but it's just kind of like a why not type of question. If it is possible would there be a significant price difference, or is anyone willing to trade?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
With the right amount of cash, anything is possible.

I've heard that the coupe's seats have a little bit less aggressive bolstering.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 GT3RS F800R
Coupe users cannot use our seats because it will not fold ... Headrest too high, besides the coupe ones do not have adjustable bolsters. I would go with adjustable bolsters than the headrest IMO.
Good luck !
:vroom:
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Aside from the physical size, the wire harnesses for the power seat functions may not fit as well!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It is impossible without redesigning the entire car. The coupe seats are a completely different design and require MANY different control modules, a different wiring harness, switches on the door, etc. Then you get to the (much) larger issue of the different number and location of the air bags between the sedan and the coupe, which is enough to make it an impossible proposition even if you could physically squeeze the seats in.

I was discussing this at length with the MB head office in Toronto - I wanted to order a sedan with the coupe front seats as I found the sedan fronts very uncomfortable (they were pressing on the back of my neck to the point where it made it painful within minutes). Essentially the inquiry went to MB Germany for a custom build, and their reply was that they couldn't build one on the regular production line as there would be so much custom work involved that it would be considerably cheaper to buy an E63 sedan instead. This is exactly why I ended up with a coupe instead of a sedan.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow Vehicle
man I wish I had the sedan seats in my coupe... I don't know how I didn't notice the difference in how big the bolsters were on the sedan seats
Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by zibby43
With the right amount of cash, anything is possible.

I've heard that the coupe's seats have a little bit less aggressive bolstering.

It may be possible, but in this case it is certainly not feasible. Even aside from the actual seat and seat control/adjustment modules, the fact that the airbag configuration is different between the sedan and the coupe would make this an extremely expensive proposition. You're talking about a COMPLETE REDESIGN of the entire airbag system, which would cost MB in the millions to design, implement and test before they could sell you a car.

The bolsters on the coupe seats are actually deeper than they are on the sedan, but they are non-adjustable so smaller drivers may feel they are not held in place as tightly by the seat as they do on the sedan. The big difference is in the shoulder room and the adjustable headrest.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Diabolis
It may be possible, but in this case it is certainly not feasible. Even aside from the actual seat and seat control/adjustment modules, the fact that the airbag configuration is different between the sedan and the coupe would make this an extremely expensive proposition. You're talking about a COMPLETE REDESIGN of the entire airbag system, which would cost MB in the millions to design, implement and test before they could sell you a car.

The bolsters on the coupe seats are actually deeper than they are on the sedan, but they are non-adjustable so smaller drivers may feel they are not held in place as tightly by the seat as they do on the sedan. The big difference is in the shoulder room and the adjustable headrest.
I don't doubt you man.

Judging by what you wrote above (i.e., your interaction with MB on the matter), it sounds like you are the authority on this matter.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
What about the seat mounting on the floor. Does anyone know if it's the same between the coupe and the sedan?