Sponsored by:

Super Strong Spoiler Adhesive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Just about wet myself laughing W204, I think our friend thought he was ridiculing me a few posts back as he tried the Canadian putdown comment.LOL

ZephyrAMG is correct, clean the area well with isopropyl alcohol using different cloths or areas of the same cloth on both mating surfaces.

A few beads of silicone adhesive(5 or 6) when applied between the tape positions and then left overnight to cure will securely hold on your spoiler. Then for the the gap use masking tape on both sides of the seam to give a protective area, use black RTV silicone to fill the gap, wipe with your finger to smooth the silicone, then remove the masking tape and let cure overnight.

Last edited by Critter; 02-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
3M or Tesa black double sided all weather tape will assist you.

If you want a really good tack you can do two things.
1) Prep both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol
2) Purchase 3M adhesive promoter
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
W204 - don't listen to the pearls of wisdom by the great Ingenieur. If he is an engineer (which I HIGHLY doubt), he probably means the kind that operates a locomotive.

As others have pointed out, surface prep and getting some temperature in both surfaces (spoiler AND trunk) is the key. Yes, epoxy-based adhesives will be stronger, but they are also permanent. Properly applied 3M tape should hold it without difficulty.

Last edited by Diabolis; 02-17-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Diabolis
W204 - don't listen to the pearls of wisdom by the great Ingenieur. If he is an engineer(which I HIGHLY doubt), he probably means the kind that operates a locomotive.

As others have pointed out, surface prep and getting some temperature in both surfaces (spoiler AND trunk) is the key. Yes, epoxy-based adhesives will be stronger, but they are also permanent. Properly applied 3M tape should hold it without difficulty.
Thank You for your post, and yes I won't listen to Ingenieur. I realize he gets into fights with almost everyone else as I read most of his other posts on different threads. The Moderators took care of him if you know what I mean and I shouldn't have to worry about fighting anymore. And who knows, he could even be a Waste Engineer!

As for my spoiler problem I can say that I didn't prep it well at all. I just used water before installing it lol, no other prep work.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Critter
Just about wet myself laughing W204, I think our friend thought he was ridiculing me a few posts back as he tried the Canadian putdown comment.LOL

ZephyrAMG is correct, clean the area well with isopropyl alcohol using different cloths or areas of the same cloth on both mating surfaces.

A few beads of silicone adhesive(5 or 6) when applied between the tape positions and then left overnight to cure will securely hold on your spoiler. Then for the the gap use masking tape on both sides of the seam to give a protective area, use black RTV silicone to fill the gap, wipe with your finger to smooth the silicone, then remove the masking tape and let cure overnight.
Didn't even see your post. And lol I was confused when he said Canadian, I thought he just made up a location real quick. I don't know why he would, when my real location is right next to my name. Now I know why

I think I will just surface prep better; I will get more 3M tape then I will:

1. Clean the area with the alcohol.
2. Heat the spoiler
3. Apply the adhesive promoter
4. Apply the tape

Same thing with the surface of the car but with no tape. I will clean with alcohol, heat the surface, apply adhesive promoter.

Do the steps sound like they are in the proper order? Sorry for being so annoying about this, I just want it perfect as I've tried 3 times already. I'm a perfectionist lol

Last edited by w204_Generic; 02-17-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
No problem, it was a laugh for sure.
The reason I like a few beads on the spoiler is that is makes the bond so much stronger as in some cases it has been known to have some people have there additions pulled off/stolen. If you ever need to remove the same fishing line method would work slicing through the silicone. Especially if you live and I see you do live in Florida which does see high temps and with a black car the tape could become unattached so to speak.

When you say heat the car and spoiler, if it is sunny out and warm then just let both sit in the sun for a while and this should be hot enough, a black car in the direct sun you can cook a meal on it. My cars came from Alabama both black so I have felt the heat first hand, ha ha .
Good Luck
Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
No problem, it was a laugh for sure.
The reason I like a few beads on the spoiler is that is makes the bond so much stronger as in some cases it has been known to have some people have there additions pulled off/stolen. If you ever need to remove the same fishing line method would work slicing through the silicone. Especially if you live and I see you do live in Florida which does see high temps and with a black car the tape could become unattached so to speak.

When you say heat the car and spoiler, if it is sunny out and warm then just let both sit in the sun for a while and this should be hot enough, a black car in the direct sun you can cook a meal on it. My cars came from Alabama both black so I have felt the heat first hand, ha ha .
Good Luck
Oh okay, when I get my car back from a repaint, I will try this.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Might want to wait a while with fresh paint, ask the shop how long for the paint to fully cure. With base /clear it may be possible right away but ask just to be sure.
Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Might want to wait a while with fresh paint, ask the shop how long for the paint to fully cure. With base /clear it may be possible right away but ask just to be sure.
Good Luck.
Very good point indeed. Paint takes a couple of months to fully cure and harden. You're not even supposed to wash the car during the first few weeks.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport

Very good point indeed. Paint takes a couple of months to fully cure and harden. You're not even supposed to wash the car during the first few weeks.
Yeah I checked back with him and I should wait 2 weeks before messing with the paint. I have to let it settle in.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota Tundra & C300
Why did I read this whole thread!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by RLpolo2014
Why did I read this whole thread!
Haha

Okay I just purchased some adhesion promoter called, "Dupi-Color Adhesion Promoter" for when I install the spoiler. Hopefully it is as good as 3M Adhesion Promoter. Anyways, Do I just spray it on heavy where the area of the car is doused in it? Or just a couple quick sprays.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
W204 - don't listen to the pearls of wisdom by the great Ingenieur. If he is an engineer (which I HIGHLY doubt), he probably means the kind that operates a locomotive.

It doesn't take an engineer to put a piece of plastic on a car with tape lol

Several governmental licensing agencies think I'm an engineer?

He needs to get a part that fits
The right thickness tape
Prep the surfaces: clean and warm

If the part doesn't lay flat on the trunk heat it andbend gently over your knee
Check the fit and repeat until satisfied
Then rinse with cold water to set
It should look like it is stuck down before the tape is even applied

It is not rocket science
Someone with a GSW to the head could do it

Last edited by Ingenieur; 02-22-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by w204_Generic
Haha

Okay I just purchased some adhesion promoter called, "Dupi-Color Adhesion Promoter" for when I install the spoiler. Hopefully it is as good as 3M Adhesion Promoter. Anyways, Do I just spray it on heavy where the area of the car is doused in it? Or just a couple quick sprays.

Thanks
That is a paint primer to make paint adhere to plastic
Not for use with tape
Old 02-24-2014, 04:57 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Okay I returned the dupli-color adhesion promoter everyone and got this "Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive."

Would this be the one I'm looking for?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay I returned the dupli-color adhesion promoter everyone and got this "Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive."

Would this be the one I'm looking for?

You don't need any adhesion promoter or anything of the sort as it is likely to damage your paint.

Step-by-step instructions you need to follow:

1. Get double-sided 3M acrylic foam tape (it usually has a red backing)

2. Get 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol - that has oils in it which you don't want)

3. Get a clean, lint-free rag or two (microfiber will do nicely)

4. Clean the underside of the spoiler with the alcohol. If there is goop on it from a previous application, you can either use Goof Off of WD40 to remove it first. Keep in mind that both of these leave an oily residue behind, which you will need to remove with the alcohol. WARNING - BOTH THE GOOF OFF AND THE ALCOHOL WILL PARTIALLY DISSOLVE (EAT INTO) THE PLASTIC. Do not get either one on any of the exposed surfaces.

5. Once the spoiler is clean and dry, heat it up with a hair dryer and apply the 3M tape. DO NOT use a heat gun as this is much too hot and will burn the plastic. I don't know if the spoiler has recesses for the tape - if it does, make sure you fill them completely. If it doesn't, apply tape to the entire surface that will come in contact with the trunk. LEAVE THE RED BACKING ON THE TAPE for the time being. Press down over the tape and gently "massage" it into the spoiler to make sure you have a good bond.

You can leave the spoiler like this for weeks or even months if you don't want to do everything at once.

6. IIRC, you said you had your trunk recently painted. Fresh paint takes a couple of months or more to fully outgas and cure. Even in water-borne paints (which are actually not water but rather alcohol-borne), only the pigment layer is water-based - the primer and top coat(s) are still VOC solvent-based, and these to take a long time to fully outgas. If it was my trunk, I wouldn't try to stick anything to it for at least 60 days after it is painted, but that's just me. If you live someplace warm, it will cure a little quicker but you're still talking about a month or more. Do not wax the car or put any sealant on it during this time - you want to leave the pores in the paint open so it can outgas properly.

7. When you're ready to put the spoiler on, wash and dry the car. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY before you attempt to put the spoiler on. If you don't have to, do NOT use the alcohol on the paint as it will damage it. A good hand-wash will do the job nicely. IF YOU CAN, LEAVE THE CAR IN THE SUN TO COMPLETELY DRY AND WARM UP THE TRUNK LID. That will save you from having to heat it up with a hair dryer. Wipe the dust off with a clean microfiber cloth just before you're ready to stick on the spoiler.

8. Peel off the red backing from the 3M tape that you previously put on the spoiler. Try not to get any dirt or fingerprints on the tape.

9. Carefully place the spoiler on the trunk. The adhesive on the tape sticks instantly, so you won't get a chance to reposition it once it is on. Start by pressing down at one end (you can use a microfiber cloth) and work your way towards the other. Applying a fair bit of pressure, go over back a forth the spoiler a few times to make sure that the entire length of tape is in contact with the trunk.

10. Step back and admire the car and your work!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport

You don't need any adhesion promoter or anything of the sort as it is likely to damage your paint.

Step-by-step instructions you need to follow:

1. Get double-sided 3M acrylic foam tape (it usually has a red backing)

2. Get 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol - that has oils in it which you don't want)

3. Get a clean, lint-free rag or two (microfiber will do nicely)

4. Clean the underside of the spoiler with the alcohol. If there is goop on it from a previous application, you can either use Goof Off of WD40 to remove it first. Keep in mind that both of these leave an oily residue behind, which you will need to remove with the alcohol. WARNING - BOTH THE GOOF OFF AND THE ALCOHOL WILL PARTIALLY DISSOLVE (EAT INTO) THE PLASTIC. Do not get either one on any of the exposed surfaces.

5. Once the spoiler is clean and dry, heat it up with a hair dryer and apply the 3M tape. DO NOT use a heat gun as this is much too hot and will burn the plastic. I don't know if the spoiler has recesses for the tape - if it does, make sure you fill them completely. If it doesn't, apply tape to the entire surface that will come in contact with the trunk. LEAVE THE RED BACKING ON THE TAPE for the time being. Press down over the tape and gently "massage" it into the spoiler to make sure you have a good bond.

You can leave the spoiler like this for weeks or even months if you don't want to do everything at once.

6. IIRC, you said you had your trunk recently painted. Fresh paint takes a couple of months or more to fully outgas and cure. Even in water-borne paints (which are actually not water but rather alcohol-borne), only the pigment layer is water-based - the primer and top coat(s) are still VOC solvent-based, and these to take a long time to fully outgas. If it was my trunk, I wouldn't try to stick anything to it for at least 60 days after it is painted, but that's just me. If you live someplace warm, it will cure a little quicker but you're still talking about a month or more. Do not wax the car or put any sealant on it during this time - you want to leave the pores in the paint open so it can outgas properly.

7. When you're ready to put the spoiler on, wash and dry the car. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY before you attempt to put the spoiler on. If you don't have to, do NOT use the alcohol on the paint as it will damage it. A good hand-wash will do the job nicely. IF YOU CAN, LEAVE THE CAR IN THE SUN TO COMPLETELY DRY AND WARM UP THE TRUNK LID. That will save you from having to heat it up with a hair dryer. Wipe the dust off with a clean microfiber cloth just before you're ready to stick on the spoiler.

8. Peel off the red backing from the 3M tape that you previously put on the spoiler. Try not to get any dirt or fingerprints on the tape.

9. Carefully place the spoiler on the trunk. The adhesive on the tape sticks instantly, so you won't get a chance to reposition it once it is on. Start by pressing down at one end (you can use a microfiber cloth) and work your way towards the other. Applying a fair bit of pressure, go over back a forth the spoiler a few times to make sure that the entire length of tape is in contact with the trunk.

10. Step back and admire the car and your work!
Wow! Best reply so far. Very descriptive and informative. As for the alcohol on the surface of the car. Could I use it anyway on the paint, even though it may damage it? It's going to be covered by the spoiler anyway. I should use the adhesion promoter?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow! Best reply so far. Very descriptive and informative. As for the alcohol on the surface of the car. Could I use it anyway on the paint, even though it may damage it? It's going to be covered by the spoiler anyway. I should use the adhesion promoter?

I wouldn't use either. If you have just hand-washed the car (with car shampoo and clean running water), it should be more than sufficiently clean.

The only adhesive promoters that I have ever seen are for plastics - they contain VOCs that eat into (dissolve) the plastic so that you can apply some paints or glues to it that normally wouldn't stick. You don't need or want anything of the sort. You just need a clean, smooth surface for the tape, and besides, the isopropanol will have already partially done this.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
I wouldn't use either. If you have just hand-washed the car (with car shampoo and clean running water), it should be more than sufficiently clean.

The only adhesive promoters that I have ever seen are for plastics - they contain VOCs that eat into (dissolve) the plastic so that you can apply some paints or glues to it that normally wouldn't stick. You don't need or want anything of the sort. You just need a clean, smooth surface for the tape, and besides, the isopropanol will have already partially done this.
Okay and I meant to say "Shouldn't" about the adhesion promoter, typo.

Is 91% alcohol fine?

Last edited by w204_Generic; 02-24-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay and I meant to say "Shouldn't" about the adhesion promoter, typo.

Is 91% alcohol fine?
Stay away form the adhesion promoter. It is essentially acetone. It will eat both the plastic and the paint.

I don't know where you're looking for the alcohol, but it depends on what type of alcohol it is and what the other 9% are. Here in Canada you can get a 500mL bottle of 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) in any drug store for $5.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport

Stay away form the adhesion promoter. It is essentially acetone. It will eat both the plastic and the paint.

I don't know where you're looking for the alcohol, but it depends on what type of alcohol it is and what the other 9% are. Here in Canada you can get a 500mL bottle of 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) in any drug store for $5.
Yeah it appears they only have 91% isopropyl at my local drugstores. I'll go a little further to find pure isopropyl alcohol.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah it appears they only have 91% isopropyl at my local drugstores. I'll go a little further to find pure isopropyl alcohol.

If you're talking about the stuff that Walmart sells as an antiseptic, it won't bugger anything up because the rest is water, but it may be too diluted to remove all oils (pure 99% isopropanol dehydrates and burns the skin very quickly). See if you can find the 99% somewhere else. If all else fails, you can order it from Amazon.com (
Amazon Amazon
) but I am sure you can find it locally.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E92 335i / C63 AMG / GSX-R 600
I had the same problem with my 335. You are not stupid, you are forgetting one key step that most people don't tell you about. Took me 3 attempts as well.

After the spoiler is properly on you need to apply heat and pressure - the more the better. Apply lots of pressure and tape it down - 3M also sells this. You should let it sit for at least 3-4 hours for the perfect hold.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
Help with tape ideas

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
The only thing more you can do for him is to go and actually put it on for him

What's amusing is I'm considering taking mine OFF
lol

Need to search for some pics
Wait
Can someone else actually search for me and post links so it will be easier for me?
After you do I'll keep asking for more
Different colors
Better angles
Etc
After all my time is more valuable (at least to me) than yours (is to me)
Dude this teenager is more man than you.. He isn't afraid to come on here to ask for help so he can get this part on so it doesn't fly off and this is how you learn. From others helping and sharing tips. Then in life later maybe he can help someone else out. You should be kicked out . Oh and while your at it..... Grow up and dont be an @ss hat.....
Old 11-07-2023, 09:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 C63 507 Edition
Been a long time since we've seen a necro bump of this magnitude. Well done. And first post to boot.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdrnlnRush:
BLKROKT (11-08-2023), Diabolis (11-07-2023)