Sponsored by:

Muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
Muffler delete?

A buddy of mine has an 02 CLK55, and he told me he chopped off his mufflers and replaced them with straight pipes. I haven't heard it, but he said it sounds great... Any negatives to this? Loss of back pressure, HP, Tq?
BTW, I am interested in upping the growl for my 09 CLS63 and was/am considering a cat back exhaust sys.

Thanks...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I think drone would be a bigg issue based on my exhaust experiments
Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 S-AMG
I have also considered this but everyone I spoke to strongly advised me to reconsider. I would say to either put a cat back exhaust or just put some e-cut outs if you really wanted to.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 PM

S63
Thanks guys... I've been considering a Supersprint catback of Miester slip on mufflers. That's when he mentioned what he had done.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow Vehicle
I've deleted mufflers on all my cars except for the c63.. I just love the sound from factory which even if you put headers on.. it still retains that nice sound! I have a buddy who has the ml63 with the 6.2 and he is fully straight piped from second cats till the mufflers and it sounds like a monster.. BUT it's too loud for a mercedes IMO
Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM

S63
Ahhhh... Gotcha, thanks. Any thoughts between a SuperSprint cat back sys and a Meister slip on?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt
Ahhhh... Gotcha, thanks. Any thoughts between a SuperSprint cat back sys and a Meister slip on?

I would recommend youtube to help you out, honestly it all depends on what you are going for... are you trying to gain power? trying to cut some weight? or do you simply just want the car to be a little bit louder?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:50 PM

S63
Originally Posted by Blown63
I would recommend youtube to help you out, honestly it all depends on what you are going for... are you trying to gain power? trying to cut some weight? or do you simply just want the car to be a little bit louder?
All three! more sound its foremost, HP and lighter weight is a bonus... and yeah, I know it's only gonna add a handful of HP.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM

S63
BTW, I did YouTube research... Heard the Meister slip ons and a SS FULL system, not just the cat back. I'm sure either will sound great, it's more of: will the SS cat back be more beneficial then just the Meister slip ons?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
All three! more sound its foremost, HP and lighter weight is a bonus... and yeah, I know it's only gonna add a handful of HP.
Well then it depends on how far you want to go. A aftermarket exhaust is a lot of money for not gaining as much as much power as you would with headers for about the same cost. So if you want power & sound headers are the best way to go. But if you don't want to get headers there are still other options that will make you more power as well as save you some money. For example taking cats out or just one set of cats will give you the most power as well as sound.. there are a bunch of people who have added mike's x-pipe in place of the resonator and I have heard positive feedback.

IMO I would not go with a cat back exhaust, I have heard from multiple tuners that our oem mufflers are better then any after market systems. But if you dont want to get headers I would recommend removing your cats or at least one set of them which would net you the most horsepower as well as the most sound.

In the end of the day its a personal opinion which route you want to take do some research and read up on what people have done so you can gain your own opinion of what you want. Good luck
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM

S63
Thanks for the informative response! If I leave the primary cats (i need to pass NYS inspection) and remove the secondary, would this give me some more sound and a few HP?

I would love to do headers, but I'm afraid they're just going to be too loud as this is my daily driver.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Thanks for the informative response! If I leave the primary cats (i need to pass NYS inspection) and remove the secondary, would this give me some more sound and a few HP?

I would love to do headers, but I'm afraid they're just going to be too loud as this is my daily driver.
I am pretty sure you can pass with leaving your primary cats on but don't quote me on that. If you cut the secondary cat and replace resonator with x-pipe i think you will be really happy with the sound and power gains. (that you can quote me on lol)
Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 PM

S63
Awesome! Thank you very much!!! last question... Would I want to go with a specialized brand X like MBH, or would a muffler shop have a suffiecnt X?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Awesome! Thank you very much!!! last question... Would I want to go with a specialized brand X like MBH, or would a muffler shop have a suffiecnt X?
it really doesnt matter if you like and trust the shop you should be ok.

Good luck, feel free to pm me any questions you may have
Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 AM

S63
it really doesnt matter if you like and trust the shop you should be ok.

Good luck, feel free to pm me any questions you may have
Thanks again... Check PM whenever u get a sec bro.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 ///AMG coupe
muffler delete

Hey my set up now are xpipe and red delete with factory muffler... I want to delete my muffler. My question is will it be loud inside when u r driving it? Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
I have also considered this but everyone I spoke to strongly advised me to reconsider.
This is agreed. Most of the AMG "growl" that we all love comes from the OEM AMG mufflers. I would also strongly suggest you do not remove them. You will be sadly disappointed. You might get your desired effect by slightly modifying the OEM mufflers, but I would steer clear of messing with them. It's not necessarily a drone issue or a raspy issue. It's the tone and growl that you will loose. I would suggest that you work from the mufflers up to the block, ie: headers, cat-back, resonators, pipes. Install a whole entirely new exhaust and pipe diameter, but stop at the mufflers. Obviously you are going to do what you want to your car, but heed the warning from some of us. You WANT your AMG mufflers!!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Will a large hipo v8 be loud without mufflers

Are shotguns loud?

The oem sound is one of my favorite things about the car
Makes it entertaining at 30 mph
Sounds 'special' but not 'look at me' obnoxious but a high quality power tone
Old 08-05-2014, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Hi, I had my resonators deleted about a week ago with 3 inch straight pipes on an ML63. If I had put in a x-pipe instead, would that give me a few extra horses? How is that better than the straight pipes? Thanks.

I am pretty sure you can pass with leaving your primary cats on but don't quote me on that. If you cut the secondary cat and replace resonator with x-pipe i think you will be really happy with the sound and power gains. (that you can quote me on lol)